PDA

View Full Version : Leggings ban a stretch, students complain

kepdawg
11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Leggings ban a stretch, students complain

Districts say girls try to pass fashion off as pants with too-short skirts

08:24 PM CST on Wednesday, November 1, 2006

By KATHERINE LEAL UNMUTH / The Dallas Morning News

Sometimes covering up can get a girl into as much trouble as showing too much skin.

Leggings, especially when paired with jean skirts or dresses, are back in fashion. They've been spotted on everyone from actresses Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff to the teen next door.

But at least one school district has declared enough.

Students got the message when they arrived back to school in the Carrollton-Farmers Branch district: "Leggings shall not be worn, including those worn under other garments such as dresses or skirts."

It's not clear whether leggings ever got girls in so much trouble in the 1980s, the last time they were in style.

The district moved quickly when the look began appearing again last year. Many girls were using the leggings as an excuse to get around the dress code. That's because leggings often are paired under the also-banned miniskirt. The school district requires skirts to be no shorter than 4 inches above the knee.

"Some administrators said students would have on leggings and call those pants and then wear a very short dress or a long blouse," assistant superintendent Charles Cole said.

"They were trying to pass them off as pants. I think it [the ban] was about trying to neaten up."

Creekview High School student Shannon Utley doesn't like the rule. She said she wore leggings on '80s day because she figured she wouldn't get in trouble, but she hasn't worn them to school since.

"I think the leggings ban is really dumb because it covers up more of your skin," the 17-year-old said. "I don't wear them because I don't want to get in trouble. At least when you go to college, you can wear what you want."

The Dallas school district also labels leggings as inappropriate attire. Arlington, Grand Prairie and Frisco school districts don't mention anything about leggings in their dress codes. But other school districts have noticed the trend and are taking note.

"The issue at the start of the school was skirts too short with leggings," Irving school district spokesman Tony Thetford said. "Leggings are fine as long as the skirts are long enough to meet our dress code."

The district's code states skirts may be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee.

The tight capri-length leggings began their fashion comeback last year, along with skinny jeans.

Teenage girls aren't alone in being attracted to the trend. Male basketball players began wearing leggings under their shorts last season. Among those sporting the look was Dallas Mavericks player Jerry Stackhouse.

Gabrielle Blummer, 17, another Creekview High student, doesn't approve of leggings, but that's because she sees them as a fashion don't.

"It's too old-fashioned for me," she said. "If it's skin tight, it's kind of gross. I guess they banned them because girls were getting away with wearing short, short skirts with them."

Indeed, it was back in 1985 that the fashion section of The Dallas Morning News noted that "long and leggy, the silhouette for fall is form-fitted for the lower half. Second-skin leggings and tight stirrup pants provide the visual balance for large boxy tops."

Gabrielle added, though, that it was "hypocritical" for cheerleaders to be allowed to wear short skirts with leggings, but not other girls.

Also on the Carrollton-Farmers Branch school district's banned list this year – tall tees, flimsy flip-flops and wristbands.

"That's why we have to review the dress code every year – because things change, and fashion becomes obsolete," Dr. Cole said. "If something new comes on board, a committee decides what's appropriate."

Students who violate the policy are told to change clothes. If they refuse, they can be disciplined.

Several girls said school administrators told them the look would be too distracting to boys.

"If boys are trying to look up your skirt, they won't see anything because you're wearing leggings," said Newman Smith High School student Jamie Hogge, 14. "It's not like you're seeing something you shouldn't."

"I just wear them on the weekend," added her friend, Kali Chancelor, 14.

Ji-in Lee, 15, said she and her friends had to change when they wore leggings on the last day of school last year. But she argued that leggings serve a purpose with the chilly weather moving in.

"It would keep me warm!" she said.

Lindsey Casey, a buyer for Premium 93 in the West Village, said the boutique has sold plenty of leggings, in many colors and fabrics, in the last year.

"We look back to previous decades a lot for fashion inspiration," she said. "Right now the '80s is really big.

"I think it's unfortunate that schools are trying to limit the kids' freedom of speech in a way," she added. "Fashion is a way that kids seem to express themselves."

E-mail kunmuth@dallasnews.com

pirate4state
11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
"I think the leggings ban is really dumb because it covers up more of your skin," the 17-year-old said. "I don't wear them because I don't want to get in trouble. At least when you go to college, you can wear what you want." HAHA - and after 4 years or more of college your boss will be telling you what you can & can't wear!!! :rolleyes: