PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown's comments about the BCS Ratings...

g$$
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I think more Longhorns ought to take the advice of their coach & quit complaining about WVU, Louisville, & others. Classy quote from Mack Brown (Houston Chronicle, 10-30-06):

"We lost our right to control our own destiny. That was our fault. The truth is, as long as somebody is undefeated & rated higher than you, it's hard for us to gripe or whine."

Old Tiger
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
I never complained :)

g$$
11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Plenty have, with negative comments about other schools. Mack is not whining & I applaud him for that.

The system is flawed but all we have currently, so deal with it.

AggieJohn
11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think more Longhorns ought to take the advice of their coach & quit complaining about WVU, Louisville, & others. Classy quote from Mack Brown (Houston Chronicle, 10-30-06):

"We lost our right to control our own destiny. That was our fault. The truth is, as long as somebody is undefeated & rated higher than you, it's hard for us to gripe or whine." wasn't singing that tune two years ago when they were trying to get into a BCS bowl...heck who am I to complain, we got into the cotton bowl

g$$
11-01-2006, 04:00 PM
You're right AJ, & he caught lots of heat nationally for crying that year when Texas jumped Cal. He is not now though (at least yet). Way to go Mack!

GreenMachine
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$

"We lost our right to control our own destiny. That was our fault. The truth is, as long as somebody is undefeated & rated higher than you, it's hard for us to gripe or whine." Truer words were never spoken.

Phil C
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Plenty have, with negative comments about other schools. Mack is not whining & I applaud him for that.

The system is flawed but all we have currently, so deal with it.

I agree g$$. What UT needs to do as well as others is to win the games and let the chips fall where they may. That is basically all you can do.

JasperDog94
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You're right AJ, & he caught lots of heat nationally for crying that year when Texas jumped Cal. He is not now though (at least yet). Way to go Mack! And how did that turn out?:D :D :D

Phil C
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Even when he did whine it was proved justifiable because we beat Michigan and Texas Tech beat California.

g$$
11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Agreed 100% Phil C. Texas has a fine team & let's just see how it plays out. Probably Fiesta Bowl when the dust settles.

JasperDog94
11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Even when he did whine it was proved justifiable because we beat Michigan and Texas Tech beat California. Correction Phil, Tech donkey stomped Cal.

JasperDog94
11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The system is flawed but all we have currently, so deal with it. The problem with this logic is that if we don't complain about it, nothing will get changed.

g$$
11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
And how did that turn out?:D :D :D

That is not & was not the point then or now. He complained about the system that he is a part of as a voting NCAA member. It can work for you or against you. Change the system or don't complain when it does not fall your way.

I applaud him for not whining now.

Phil C
11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
The problem with this logic is that if we don't complain about it, nothing will get changed.

You are right Jasper. Even with the great rose bowl last year you and I still wanted a real playoff system.

GreenMachine
11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Even when he did whine it was proved justifiable because we beat Michigan and Texas Tech beat California. There is no whining in football :bigcry:

g$$
11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
The problem with this logic is that if we don't complain about it, nothing will get changed.

You really think that matters? It's all about money & TV deals.

A few years ago:
In the Big 12, coaches voted the Big 12 Title Game down 11-1.

Big 12 Presidents voted for it 12-0.

We have a Big 12 Title Game currently. Who won?

g$$
11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
BTW, I want a playoff system too. Every other league in the country has an outright winner determined on the field or court.

But, I do not see it happening with the current bowl structure & tv deals. Just too many hurdles to clear currently.

I like the 8 or 16 team format, or at the very least a +1 format after the bowls are completed.

Bull19
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$

"We lost our right to control our own destiny. That was our fault. The truth is, as long as somebody is undefeated & rated higher than you, it's hard for us to gripe or whine."

HE IS SUCH A BETTER SPEAKER THAN FRAN. MACK KNOWS HOW TO HANDLE THE PRESS

g$$
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Agreed. Fran sounds like a monotone robot. Both have bad nasal voices though, but Mack is way more polished & smooth.

BMOC
11-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
BTW, I want a playoff system too. Every other league in the country has an outright winner determined on the field.

But, I do not see it happening with the current bowl structure & tv deals. Just too many hurdles to clear currently.

I like the 8 or 16 team format, or at the very least a +1 format after the bowls are completed.

The argument with the NCAA has been the problem with the playoff system and when do you start a playoff? All other sports can play 2, 3, or more games in a week. The physical demands of football will not allow that. Now we can take the top 8 teams, and then we have the argument of what 8 teams belong, when the records are very similar, just like we've had in the past with BCS bids...etc. etc. I really don't see the format changing that dramatically anytime soon.

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
The argument with the NCAA has been the problem with the playoff system and when do you start a playoff? All other sports can play 2, 3, or more games in a week. The physical demands of football will not allow that. Now we can take the top 8 teams, and then we have the argument of what 8 teams belong, when the records are very similar, just like we've had in the past with BCS bids...etc. etc. I really don't see the format changing that dramatically anytime soon.

I will use the same argument I always have...Why is it ok to have play-offs in football in EVERY OTHER division in the NCAA..if they can handle it, I am pretty sure the big boys can to

g$$
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
All good points. The hypocrisy as I see it by the NCAA is they added a 12th game for everybody this year. That equates to more $$ for another home game. When A&M & Texas have a sold out home game, that is about $4 million net.

If you talk to players, they do not want to lengthen the season. Those clamoring for a true playoff system are fans more than anyone else. Players are worn out by the end of the season. And please don't compare it to the NFL anybody - whole different deal.

I favor the +1 format (after the bowls) using similar BCS #s we have today. But you can always argue who the top teams are, where to draw the cut-off line, etc. I don't see it changing either.

Emerson1
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
The NFL plays a 17 regular season, that's what 21 game or something if you make the super bowl.

They can just get rid of the 12th game they added, and make 16 team playoff or something.

NDFootball
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
All good points. The hypocrisy as I see it by the NCAA is they added a 12th game for everybody this year. That equates to more $$ for another home game. When A&M & Texas have a sold out home game, that is about $4 million net.

If you talk to players, they do not want to lengthen the season. Those clamoring for a true playoff system are fans more than anyone else. Players are worn out by the end of the season. And please don't compare it to the NFL anybody - whole different deal.

I favor the +1 format (after the bowls) using similar BCS #s we have today. But you can always argue who the top teams are, where to draw the cut-off line, etc. I don't see it changing either.

g$$ is right... NFL and College Football are 2 different worlds. Their strength and conditioning are miles apart, because there's a difference in doing for a living compared to an extracurricular activity to pile on top of classes.

g$$
11-01-2006, 07:31 PM
NFL plays 16 regular season games (+ preseason & playoffs).

And to do what you said, you cost schools a home game = $$.

Granted, $$ could be made exponentially in a playoff system. Just like March Madness in basketball & tv deals.

I just don't see it changing anytime soon. Too many hurdles, tv deals, bowl structure, length of season, etc. to clear.

The biggest joke is when academics/missing class gets blamed for the argument against a football playoff. Basketball players miss more school than anybody else by far!

Txbroadcaster
11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
IMO it is not that hard to make a play-off system

Cut the season back to 10 games over 11-12 weeks.

Decide which conferences get a bid and how you want to set up the wildcard system

The Polls like the AP should become exaclty what it is in HS, a poll that has no bearing on the play-offs.

wedo
11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You're right AJ, & he caught lots of heat nationally for crying that year when Texas jumped Cal. He is not now though (at least yet). Way to go Mack!

Well who cares they beat michiagan anyways! And Cal got slapped around by Tech so we all so who was the bette team ! Michigan would have ran all over Cal .

g$$
11-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO it is not that hard to make a play-off system

Cut the season back to 10 games over 11-12 weeks.

Decide which conferences get a bid and how you want to set up the wildcard system

The Polls like the AP should become exaclty what it is in HS, a poll that has no bearing on the play-offs.

Never going to happen like that because you are cutting home games. That $$ is the lifeblood of any program for all sports.

Like I said earlier, each home game at big schools like A&M & Texas = about $4 million. Michigan, Tennessee, etc. even more because of bigger stadiums.

The way I see it, the +1 format is the most logical choice to keep the most people happy.

g$$
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Well who cares they beat michiagan anyways! And Cal got slapped around by Tech so we all so who was the bette team ! Michigan would have ran all over Cal .

Not the point - read earlier posts.

That is not & was not the point then or now. He complained about the system that he is a part of as a voting NCAA member. It can work for you or against you. Change the system or don't complain when it does not fall your way.

You can't have it both ways.

wedo
11-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Never going to happen like that because you are cutting home games. That $$ is the lifeblood of any program for all sports.

Like I said earlier, each home game at big schools like A&M & Texas = about $4 million. Michigan, Tennessee, etc. even more because of bigger stadiums.

The way I see it, the +1 format is the most logical choice to keep the most people happy.

don't cut a home just a regular season home game. The teams should flip for home field or the team with the better record get to play at home ! What would also help is that month layoff between the last game and the bowl games.

g$$
11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Not everyone would make the playoffs - so yes you are cutting home games. That will never happen if you understand how college sports are funded.

College football home games pay the bills for lots of things besides football. Plus the $$ from March Madness. Factor in private funding & athletic donations & there you have it.

At most schools, the only sports who make $$ are football & basketball. In baseball you hope to break even. Every other sport loses money annually. And you have to have them under gender equity laws.

Thus, you are not going to allow home games to be cut for the benefit of a football playoff system. Never going to happen like that.

WTF-82
11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
sounds to me that the only ones that are whinning are you guys that are on this board. And most of you are Texas fans.

raider red 2000
11-02-2006, 11:10 AM
i like the system....it is different.

and gives us a reason to complain about "THE MAN" instead of compliaining about our teams or bashing the other teams.

Could you imagine if say UT or ATM or another big time school got screwed on a call or got left out of the playoffs....how upset people would be.

With the current bowl system almost all teams with winning records get to play an extra game. Bowls are as much for the ALum as they are for the kids actually playing...IMHO.

g$$
11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
You are exactly right Raider Red.

Bowl games are more of a reward for players & give fans a reason to travel & have some fun, spend $$, players & coaches get free stuff from sponsors, etc.

I do think we have too many bowl games now though. I mean 6-6 & you can get in...

The exception are the 4 BCS Bowls + the NC Game. Those matter & bring in big $$ for the conferences.

The thing that makes college football different from everything else is now, EVERY game matters every week.

Txbroadcaster
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Making it different does not make it right. I just dont like the fact it is the ONLY sport that does not have a play-off system in the NCAA..and only division for that matter.

Money and all that could be worked out if they REALLY wanted to have a play-off system in place, but they dont..Schools that are good but not great do not want to end season with a loss they want that bowl..that is from the President down to the coach, because easier to say to a private donor hey we won the peach bowl, instead of hey we finished the year losing in first round of play-offs 28-3

g$$
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
You nailed it.

And that is why no change is coming. The current system keeps the MOST people happy & plenty of $$ for all.

No doubt it could be worked out. But they don't want it.

BTEXDAD
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, I remember. Cal was really complaining that year and then Texas Tech beat them by about 30 in the Holiday Bowl.

I haven't been complaining this year, but I have been looking at hypotheticals as to how UT could get back into NC title hunt after the Ohio st loss. Initially, I thought they had good chance if a few things fell into place, but they all haven't.
Things would almost have to fall perfectly in place now. I wasn't expecting Ohio state, Michigan, WV, Louisville and Rutgers (plus boise State) to all still be unbeaten.
Also, you're going to have at least one, probably two(or more)one loss teams coming out of the SEC.
Although I'm UT fan, my pick for NC game was Ohio state and Auburn before season started. Auburn has lost once but is still highly regarded. I don't think they'll get there though.
I'm ready to just enjoy bowl season with Texas in another BCS bowl even if it's not for the NC.

g$$
11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Yes, I remember. Cal was really complaining that year and then Texas Tech beat them by about 30 in the Holiday Bowl.

I haven't been complaining this year, but I have been looking at hypotheticals as to how UT could get back into NC title hunt after the Ohio st loss. Initially, I thought they had good chance if a few things fell into place, but they all haven't.
Things would almost have to fall perfectly in place now. I wasn't expecting Ohio state, Michigan, WV, Louisville and Rutgers (plus boise State) to all still be unbeaten.
Also, you're going to have at least one, probably two(or more)one loss teams coming out of the SEC.
Although I'm UT fan, my pick for NC game was Ohio state and Auburn before season started. Auburn has lost once but is still highly regarded. I don't think they'll get there though.
I'm ready to just enjoy bowl season with Texas in another BCS bowl even if it's not for the NC.

You can't have it both ways. Agreed Cal was overrated, but still not the point. Tech beat them pretty good but not by 30. Rose Bowl wanted Texas vs. Michigan & got a great game.

Mack's current quote says it best.

BTEXDAD
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$

You can't have it both ways. Agreed Cal was overrated, but still not the point. Tech beat them pretty good but not by 30. Rose Bowl wanted Texas vs. Michigan & got a great game.

Mack's current quote says it best.

I can agree. THIS time I actually wasn't trying to argue with you, g$$, LOL.
I wanted to make the point that when someone, especially a coach, complains and whines and then things don't work out, it makes them look even worse. Let things play out and they usually work out as they're meant to be.
However, I think I could personally whine and throw a hissy fit as well as anyone if it meant receiving another few million dollars (BCS bowl vs. another bowl).
I stand corrected on score of game between tech and Cal. tech won 45-31. I hadn't checked score and remembered Tech being up by about 30, but they ran out of gas (as they are prone to do) and Cal made a late run to make score closer than the game was.

g$$
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Well said. I was not trying to argue either. Like you said, it usually works out in the end. I just have a hard time with complainers. You can't have it both ways.

However, like you also said, when it comes down to that kind of change ($$), I might state my case to the media too! He was defending his kids. I like his approach better this time. Good stuff & take care.

BTW, I saw an interview with J. Lane yesterday on Aggie Sports Connection & he repeated what I said earlier on here. He wanted to go to Texas in the worst way, but on his trip they told him they envisioned him being a fullback. He was not happy & Fran called him the next day. Fran told him he would play as a freshman & be a running back. Said the offense fit him just like high school at Lufkin. It worked out for him & the Ags too. Said he loves A&M & happy with his choice. I think it worked out for both schools in the end too. He & Goodson complement each other very well, & McGee is coming along nicely too as a QB. Now if only A&M had a defense!

JasperDog94
11-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
sounds to me that the only ones that are whinning are you guys that are on this board. And most of you are Texas fans. You must not get out much. If you listen to ANY sports guys on the national or local level, 99% of them want a playoff system.

Txbroadcaster
11-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Rose Bowl wanted Texas vs. Michigan & got a great game.

NO NO NO NO..rose Bowl DID NOT WANT Texas..they wanted Cal because of the tradional Pac 10 vs Big Ten matchup...They were not real happy how it worked out until AFTER they saw how good Texas traveled to the game and them of course how it turned into a classic game, but before the game they were OPENLY not happy with a non tradional match-up

zeke
11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
There sure appears to be some arithmatic manipulation going on in the composite portion of the BCS ranking this past week. Texas was ranked at the 12th position in the composite portion....when in fact they should be tied at the 8th position of the composite with Rutgers. Rutgers was assigned a .690 score on the composite, while Texas was assigned a .560 score. Corrected this would have propelled Texas into the overall #3 position with a .799 average.

From what I've read regarding the composite portion, the highest and lowest rating of each team will be thrown out and the remaining four will be averaged. The current participating computer rankings are: Peter Wolfe, Wes Colley, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Richard Billingsley, and Kenneth Massey.

Rutgers#12…… (8 th Composite – avg. 8.75)
Harris #14
USA #15
Peter Wolfe #7
Wes Colley #7
Sagarin #14
Seattle Times #3
Richard Billingsley #10
Kenneth Massey #11

TEXAS #7….. (12th composite – avg. 8.75)
Harris #4
USA #4
Peter Wolfe #9
Wes Colley #13
Sagarin #5
Seattle Times #13
Richard Billingsley #3
Kenneth Massey #8

Somebody help me out if you understand why there is some deviation being done.

Phil C
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
YOU CAN LET THE TOP 8 TEAMS BE IN PLAYOFFS FOR AN NC AND THERE WOULD BE PLEANTY OF TEAMS FOR OTHER GOOD BOWL GAMES!

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTEXDAD
11-03-2006, 01:17 PM
YOU CAN LET THE TOP 8 TEAMS BE IN PLAYOFFS FOR AN NC AND THERE WOULD BE PLEANTY OF TEAMS FOR OTHER GOOD BOWL GAMES!

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you would have to include top 12. Don't forget about notre dame.
They may not always be in top 8.

g$$
11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
NO NO NO NO..rose Bowl DID NOT WANT Texas..they wanted Cal because of the tradional Pac 10 vs Big Ten matchup...They were not real happy how it worked out until AFTER they saw how good Texas traveled to the game and them of course how it turned into a classic game, but before the game they were OPENLY not happy with a non tradional match-up

That was until they realized what a marquee match-up they could get in Texas / Michigan. Both those schools have name appeal & bring lots of fans, plus 2 of the winningest programs ever. Way more than Cal could offer. So yes, they originally wanted the traditional Big 10 vs. Pac 10 game, but changed their tune very quickly upon realizing their windfall. It was one of the most watched & best games ever in the end.

wedo
11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
you would have to include top 12. Don't forget about notre dame.
They may not always be in top 8.

forget ND they are more overrated than WV !! USC will beat ND! Well both of them are overrated also so i don't know!

BTEXDAD
11-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by zeke
There sure appears to be some arithmatic manipulation going on in the composite portion of the BCS ranking this past week. Texas was ranked at the 12th position in the composite portion....when in fact they should be tied at the 8th position of the composite with Rutgers. Rutgers was assigned a .690 score on the composite, while Texas was assigned a .560 score. Corrected this would have propelled Texas into the overall #3 position with a .799 average.

From what I've read regarding the composite portion, the highest and lowest rating of each team will be thrown out and the remaining four will be averaged.

:thinking: :eek: :thinking: :eek: :confused: :confused:

I'm starting to get a good idea on who's got shot at championships in high school, but I don't understand the college way.