PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Football Coach?

Old Cardinal
03-15-2002, 12:46 PM
There are over 70 applicants for the Coaching position at Bridge City. The only problem is that they are allowing two administrators Chenella and Lucia to eliminate the list down to 3 to be presented to the School Board....The real problem is these two Administrators could not tell a football from a turnip! We just hope that one of the three finalist happens to be a viable Coach with a lot of skill-that the School Board can choose from- this is a strange situation.

eye of the tiger
03-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Good luck Old Card. Hiring situations like that, sometimes lead to the best coach not even being considered. Ill keep my fingers crossed for the Cards.

VWG
03-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Y'all are getting screwed. Letting people like that hire a coach is ridiculous.
I know other schools let the school board "review" applicants but it should be a collective decision.
Good luck. Sounds as if you will need it.

bccards
03-17-2002, 04:34 PM
Old Card, how do you get your information?? Are you ON the Administration?? I just wondering how you know so much that goes on "inside" of the district..

oldbuff78
03-18-2002, 10:43 AM
That is the same that happened in Giddings this year. Two of the best coaches never even got considered.

Old Cardinal
03-18-2002, 05:32 PM
To bccards: I was wrong there will only be two names submitted to the School Board by the two Administrators. Sorry---- you may have noticed that I do somehow get info on a number of things early. That's why I get it---- I don't reveal my sources!

FryDayFBFun
03-18-2002, 10:17 PM
it amazes me how some schools pick their head coaches. i bet there are some who pick their coach from interviewing the coaches wife. now how would that go over in the community ?? good luck to all who apply !!

CardinalProud
03-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Old Cardinal, I question your information source. First, the selection panel is not just made up of Lucia and Chenella. The principals of both Jr. High and High School along with the business manager and a classroom teacher and one other staff member also are on the panel. This may not be the best method but it is the one used here and most schools. How would you propose we narrow down the choices? Remember that this job is Athletic Director/Football Coach. Many great football minds out there cannot handle the administrative duties required in today's schools. Many can. Until someone comes up with a better system, we will be stuck with this one. Whoever is chosen will have a tough job. We have a good team coming back, but we will be much shallower in talent next year contrary to what most observers think. There are many fewer players left from that group that won 7th, 8th, and 9th grade championships. Count 'em if you don't believe it. I fear that expectations are unrealistically high after our Semi-Final finish this year.

Old Cardinal
03-21-2002, 07:53 PM
I question your information source also!...My source has never lied to me! Boy this is weird-why do we elect a School Board anyway if they are going to let a committee composed of non-athletic people such as you named to choose an Athletic Director/Football Coach. Sorry that you feel that this group of youth should not be looked upon with high expectations-personally I feel that they have great talent and a good chance of winning State, even if Chenella and Lucia Coached the team- that is, if someone could remember to tell them how many players can be on the field and whether we are on offense or defense. Maybe you should add a home-ec teacher and a custodian to your add-on comittee to choose a Coach. Glad to see you made your first post on the board-maybe the town being upset over the silly actions at the school, drew you out of your ivory tower!

Birdman
03-22-2002, 12:24 AM
I think we should let Old Cardinal hire the next coach. He has all the answers. OC, Do you really think we have the hosses to win state next year? I do hope you are right. I'm not sure if we are looking at the same roster you are looking at. We should surely make the playoffs and go a couple of rounds but we have a lot of good players to replace. Factor in a new coach and possible new system. Like I said, I will be very happy to be wrong about a state championship. Now OC, try not to get everyone fired up to play us as you did last year.

Old Cardinal
03-22-2002, 11:12 AM
To Birdman: I don't think Old Cardinal, you , Chenella, Lucia or his "blind obedient apple polishers" should pick the new Coach. It should be the School Board! They are the ones elected in the School District to make decisions on behalf of the BCISD voters. That would cut out the internal school politics that's trying to get Elmore or Woodall the job and disregard the other fine applicants!

oldbuff78
03-22-2002, 02:01 PM
It has worked out the best, depending on how strong your school board is, if you let your board do the hiring. Here in Giddings, we had a strong board and a President named Dwayne Mitschke that hired our most successful past two coaches. It worked out for Giddings that way then. We'll see what happens now.

CardinalProud
03-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Old Cardinal, ( as I descend from my Ivory Tower.....) The last coach hired by the school board was Les Johnson. I rest my case.

Old Cardinal
03-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Mr. Ivory Tower, The School Board hired H.W. "Chief" Wilson and a 1/2 dozen other quality Athletic Directors since 1957. You School Politicians hired Conway-I rest my case! I think the School Board ought to hire the Coach and also have a quality audit done on the spending done at the BCHS in the last decade!

Birdman
03-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Facts are that hiring AD's is not an exact science. Some school boards have done a great job and some not too good. Same for all other methods. Some people put emphasis on the football job and others the AD position. OC is looking for a football coach, Swampdude seems to favor the AD route and I can agree with both of them! By the way, the audit you spoke of might be a good idea if not a little late. That last bond issue ate our lunch and we're not sure where that money went.

eye of the tiger
03-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Old Card and other Bridge City folks. I just read on another board that Jeff Matthews from Vidor is a strong candidate for the Hc position. He is from Bridge City and has indicated that he wants the job. Dont know much about him, but I hope he is a good fit for your program if he gets the job.

Old Cardinal
03-24-2002, 06:55 PM
Eye of the Tiger: Get on, www.trianglefootball.com (http://www.trianglefootball.com) and you will see that around 40 Bridge City folks have expressed an interest in Mathews for Head Coach! The problem is there are 3 BC Coaches lobbying locally for the job.....Rumor has it that the Administrative politicians were going to pick a Coach from these internal applicants from the very beginning, and all the other Applicants were not even being considered! That is why many in our town are hoping the School Board will override this Schoolhouse political manuvering. If this keeps on, across Texas- basically eliminating the elected School Boards from studying the whole group of Applicants- it will weaken all programs. This basically allows for only chooseing from a couple of local names winnowed down by School politicians. Then excellent Coaches will not be able to find deservingly better jobs. Thus, local cliques in each school will decide who gets to move up to the Head Coach/Athletic Director irregardless of the outside applicants. Yes, Jeff Mathews is a great young Coach-mark my words-he will not get the job because of the internal political control. Neither will a lot of other good Coaches-the call for applications was just a big smoke screen. That is, unless the School Board steps into this situation.

eye of the tiger
03-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Old Card. What a great web site. Much fan support and participation. Too bad politics gets in the way. Ill keep my fingers crossed for the right thing to happen. This situation you face could do serious dammage to an outstanding program. You would think educated people would realize that it will be the kids that will suffer the most if common sense doesnt prevail. Good luck.

Birdman
03-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Old Cardinal, looks like you have some more bad info. There are only two current BC coaches who have applied for the job. Also the school board WILL decide who gets the job. They will choose from the finalists by interviewing them themselves or rejecting the entire group of finalists. This school board is not made up of sheep who will blindly follow any recommendation made by any administrator. From a practical standpoint do you think you can get the entire school board to get together at for an entire 3-4 day period to interview potential coaches? This is not being realistic. These people have real jobs of their own. The school administration operates at the pleasure of the school board. Maybe the school board is who you need to talk to or better, why not make yourself available to run for a position?
You insinuate by your statement that "excellent coaches" cannot be on the current staff. I guess it it true that experts are always someone from out of town. Take heart, history is on your side. BC has never hired a head football coach from within. I am trusting that the best candidate will be hired regardless of where they currently work.

Old Cardinal
03-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Yes you read me right---I have seen Cornel win ballgames for WOS that took real genious. Last year, I watched Jeff Mathews take a much much less talented team and beat B.C. I think it would be a tragic act of politics to promote any of the present staff to Athletic Director/Head Coach when there are so many more qualified high-ability Applicants that have applied. That does not insinuate that there are not some good folks on the staff. Yes, I was asked by a number of citizens to run for School Board this year, but my docket was full-I will probably be a candidate next time. I am much more interested in finding out how CocaCola grant money and Bond Issue money vanishes than I am about anything else. I just don't think the taxpayers are being represented that well.

eye of the tiger
03-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Old Card I just found out from another board that one of the two finalist for the HC position at Bridge City is Davey Dubose from Brady. Hope he is a good one for you guys if he gets the job.

Old Cardinal
03-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Eye of the Tiger: I have not heard of that name-tell us about him-and his record. I really don't think Jeff Mathews from Vidor will come....Reason, they would have to give him $8,000 to just match his current pay! They are too tight here. They have not given classroom teachers a raise in a coon's age. Opulent Administrative buildings and fancy vans are more to their liking. Cornell Thompson, John Brown,Theriot, and Craig Stump's names are some that have been floating around. These are all proven candidates with proven empirical records. If they, by chance, did go outside they will hire the one that will come for the least money. They probably will just see who in the local staff will take the job at the lowest rate of pay.

Old Cardinal
03-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Eye of the Tiger: That Brady record was 2-8, 1-4 someone has got to be joking on the internet!

eye of the tiger
03-27-2002, 11:12 PM
Heard it on the old coach network. Ive included the web address. By the way, you should join this group. Mostly coachs, but plenty of fans also. Lots of good information.

http://www.theoldcoach.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006819.html

eye of the tiger
03-28-2002, 04:28 PM
Old Card here is the latest from the Old Coach board.

Word is that Jeff Mathews withdrew from the final three candidates which had been narrowed from eight. The two finalists are Davey Dubose, Brady, and Claude Tarver from Hamshire-Fannett.

Old Cardinal
03-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Word is that Vidor wanted to keep him (Mathews)and raised his salary substancially. I can't believe that the School Board will allow these Coaches you mention- with less than exempliary records have the job!