PDA

View Full Version : Henry Melton at Texas Now playing Some DE

g$$
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Anybody else notice that Henry Melton saw some time in the 2nd half at defensive end last Saturday? I have repeatedly said he is too good an athlete to stand on the sidelines & thought he might move after limited duty last year at RB. But this year he has hardly played at all, just in garbage time, & obviously had fallen out of favor w/ Mack Brown & Ken Rucker.

A&M recruited him as a DE. Kid was recruited at RB, TE, DE, LB. It will be interesting to see where & how much he plays the next 2 years, & just how far behind he is technique-wise, etc. at DE.

Anybody else remember my old friend West Tx arguing with me that Melton was better than national TDs leader Lane at A&M? I told him Melton is 3rd or 4th string, runs too high, does not run like a power back enough, does not get downhill, & should move to DE? I sure do. :thinking:

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
old...:p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Anybody else notice that Henry Melton saw some time in the 2nd half at defensive end last Saturday? I have repeatedly said he is too good an athlete to stand on the sidelines & thought he might move after limited duty last year at RB. But this year he has hardly played at all, just in garbage time, & obviously had fallen out of favor w/ Mack Brown & Ken Rucker.

A&M recruited him as a DE. Kid was recruited at RB, TE, DE, LB. It will be interesting to see where & how much he plays the next 2 years, & just how far behind he is technique-wise, etc. at DE.

Anybody else remember my old friend West Tx arguing with me that Melton was better than national TDs leader Lane at A&M? I told him Melton is 3rd or 4th string, runs too high, does not run like a power back enough, does not get downhill, & should move to DE? I sure do. :thinking:

Lane is huge. You should see that guy up close in person and try to tackle him...

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Lane is huge. You should see that guy up close in person and try to tackle him... Yea I tackled him at least 3 times on NCAA 2007 :p

g$$
10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
old...:p

Sorry if old to you - some of us are not on the DL 24/7. Point is still the same. At times like this I miss West TX. Never mind!

Lane is huge & a heck of an athlete. Like tackling a freezer for 3 hours & that wears you down late in the game. Controlling the clock will be necessary to beat OU. I still have major concerns about A&M's defense. Better yes, but still suspect.

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm not on here 24/7

24/365 :p

BTEXDAD
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$

How much playing time do you think Lane would be getting with Texas? I say not much. He's not the style runner they want. He'd be standing on sidelines right beside Melton if he was there.

g$$
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM
My bad...20/7

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
How much playing time do you think Lane would be getting with Texas? I say not much. He's not the style runner they want. He'd be standing on sidelines right beside Melton if he was there.

Texas likes the RBs that fumble the ball a lot, that's not Lane's style, oh, and go down relatively easily. :D

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:35 PM
nm

g$$
10-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Texas recruited Lane HARD as a FB. He went to A&M because they told him he would be a featured runner. Rucker (RBs coach) at Texas is a good man - I knew him when he was at A&M for years. Great recruiter too.

Mack has said many times they do not have a true FB on campus & thus rarely get in the I or power sets.

Lane made a good choice for the system & style that fits him. Last year against Texas he had 17 carries for 104 yds. as a true freshman. Now he is leading the country in TDs as a soph. I would say he is doing just fine, wouldn't you?

Texas does not get EVERY good player in recruiting. They get plenty no doubt, but so do other schools.

injuredinmelee
10-31-2006, 01:41 PM
There was mention at the beginning of Meltons freshman year that he would move to DE. I think he will help us more there. He runs like he weighs 175 and doenst roll over people near enough. He wants to be a finese back and isnt capable.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
There was mention at the beginning of Meltons freshman year that he would move to DE. I think he will help us more there. He runs like he weighs 175 and doenst roll over people near enough. He wants to be a finese back and isnt capable.

Yeah, that was apparent last year when instead of going head up with a defender, he dove to get into the endzone and was short. Man I was mad when he did that.

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that was apparent last year when instead of going head up with a defender, he dove to get into the endzone and was short. Man I was mad when he did that. That's when you were stilll a Horn before THEY brain washed ya j/k

injuredinmelee
10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, that was apparent last year when instead of going head up with a defender, he dove to get into the endzone and was short. Man I was mad when he did that.

He was reqal bad about it this year in his limited playing time at RB. It is evident that he isnt the option anymore on the Goal line as they have had multiple opportunities to use him the last two games and have not put him in the game.

BTEXDAD
10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas recruited Lane HARD as a FB. He went to A&M because they told him he would be a featured runner. Rucker (RBs coach) at Texas is a good man - I knew him when he was at A&M for years. Great recruiter too.

Mack has said many times they do not have a true FB on campus & thus rarely get in the I or power sets.

Lane made a good choice for the system & style that fits him.

That may be true about no FB on campus, g$$, but UT seems to have gotten into more of speed and quick hitting offense(maybe out of necessity?).
If UT used Lane as "true" fullback in power I, he'd be blocking for Young and Charles.
Before he graduates from A&M, Lane may wind up being mostly a blocker for Goodson.
UT tried using Melton as goal line guy, but Mack and Co. lost confidence in him as you (or someone said) earlier. I don't think he's a good enough blocker to be in there in two back offense.
I don't know what the deal is with all the fumbles for UT backs. Needs to be corrected pdq.
I'll admit I haven't seen Lane play all that much. As Aggies have complained, they haven't gotten many provs yet and not much tv time.
Lane runs hard, but seems slow. If he was at UT, he'd be goal line guy and that's about it.
I agree, he made good choice for system and style that fits him.

mchavez
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
If I was him I would transfer!!!

g$$
10-31-2006, 04:06 PM
BTEXDAD:

With all due respect, I don't think you give Lane enough credit for being a great athlete. He has convinced me over the past 2 years because I thought much like you before too. Just look what he has done over those 2 years so far, & how he ran all over Texas last year with 104 yds. (17 carries) & a TD pass. He basically won the Mizzou game this year with 127 yds. on 27 carries, & A&M dominated time of possession over 2 to 1. He is averaging almost 5 yds. per carry in his career. 2nd in the nation in TDs too (was 1st).

Lane has quick feet, balance, & vision. He makes people miss in the hole at 280 lbs. He wears down defenses. I disagree with you on if he was at Texas - the kid would play at Texas & rotate with Charles & Young. Texas sure recruited him HARD, & I know that for a fact. Lane has a good chance to play on Sundays (will Charles & Young?). I think all 3 do in some capacity. There's always room for a guy who can get the tough yards. Melton fell out of favor because he did not run to his strengths. He has barely played this year. Now he is playing reserve DE.

Lane is not a blocker, Alexander is, & he will never be that guy. Lane & Goodson complement each other. Lane has made some catches out of the backfield too, including a one-handed game saver against OK State on 4th & 13. A&M has some good RBs & Bradley Stephens on the way too.

Texas does not have a power back on campus, as Mack has said many times. That is why they rarely line up in power sets. Pretty much all zone read/dart series. Texas has one for next year in Cody Johnson from Waller. He's about 230 lbs. & can move too.

This quote, to me, says it all about Lane (Houston Chronicle):

Lufkin High Head Coach John Outlaw said:
"He's the most amazing big athlete I've ever coached. I've got 6 of them in the NFL right now, & he's the most amazing athlete I've ever coached."

Emerson1
10-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe once he toughens up playing DE they can trust him again to punch the ball in during goaline situations.

wedo
10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Lane made a good choice for the system & style that fits him. Last year against Texas he had 17 carries for 104 yds. as a true freshman. Now he is leading the country in TDs as a soph. I would say he is doing just fine, wouldn't you?

Texas does not get EVERY good player in recruiting. They get plenty no doubt, but so do other schools.

But they have one of the best recruiting classes year in and year out! I'd say that they get the better athletes from this state at least!

g$$
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
What confuses you about the word "every"?

There was a time not too long ago when A&M was dominating the recruiting landscape. Won 10/11 against Texas to prove it. Absolutely no disputing that Texas has been dominant lately & has won 6 in a row themselves plus the NC.

With all the stellar classes, Mack has still only won 1 Big 12 Championship (& 1 NC same year). That is his only conference championship as a head coach in his career too. This year....?

But when we produce 396 D1 kids (tops nationally again last year) in this state, I would say there are plenty of good recruits to go around. Recruiting rankings do not always translate either. I have seen lots of 4 & 5 stars wash out & never play much. Every year & every class is different.

85/25 rule: 85 on scholarship & can sign 25 per year

(sometimes schools sign more & they enroll early to count against last year's class, very common today)

Eagles52
11-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Melton will have to show me that he can play tough before I have faith in him at DE. Last year at Ohio State when he had that easy TD on the goal line but then tried to get finesse and dive around a defensive back that was half his size, and didn't make it. That guy needed to lower his shoulder and punish that little DB for trying to stop him. Anyway, the guy has been nothing but soft in my eye, and that doesn't translate well to a defensive mindset. But just b/c he's timid at RB doesn't mean he'll be that way at DE.

Old Tiger
11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I heard that he was in on the 4th and short play.

coach
11-01-2006, 01:30 AM
y dosent melton get the ball any more?

g$$
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Now on defense, so they obviously have lost faith in him on offense as a RB.

At the 7 on 7 tourney 3 years ago, Melton was the most imposing physical specimen there @ 6'3" 270 lbs. of muscle. Will he thrive on defense? We'll soon find out but he is way behind after 2 years. And lots of people in front of him too.