PDA

View Full Version : Coach's career at one school

VWG
10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
What do you think the average "life span" of a coach is at one school?
Now, before we go with Sandifer at Wylie, or J. Taylor at Idalou, etc... and other coaches who have been at one school for 15+ years, take a look at coaching positions and how they change.
I would guess that even if a guy is winning at the 3A level or below, they usually look for a better paying job at a higher classification and the avg. time spent at one place would be between 5 to 7 years. Thoughts?
Also, how long does a school/school board keep a coach that isn't producing winning or at least competitive teams? 2, maybe 3 years?
I know one coach who has hung on at a 2A school in the Lubbock area and hasn't produced over 3 wins (on avg.) in 4 years. How would you feel about a coach if he wasn't producing wins or competitive teams?

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I think 5-7 years is a good guess. Eventually those coaches, if winning will get offers from other schools or want more money at larger schools. I don't know how many HC/AD's Sinton has had, but Mitchell has been here for awhile now. He has been the HC since 2002 and doing a good job with our kids!! :clap: I know he was here as the DC/asst coach before that, but don't know for how long!! I DON'T WANT HIM GOING ANYWHERE EITHER!! :mad: :D

VWG
10-31-2006, 11:15 PM
ttt

AggieJohn
10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
i said this before that a coach once told me that the average high school football head coach should only stay for five years because every year he ticks off 10% of his parent base, so when you go into the sixth year your facing a losing battle

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Now days it's getting shorter and shorter because of expectations

LH Panther Mom
10-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i said this before that a coach once told me that the average high school football head coach should only stay for five years because every year he ticks off 10% of his parent base, so when you go into the sixth year your facing a losing battle
Seems like my dad and the rest of the coaches ticked folks off WAY before 5 years. :p

District303aPastPlayer
11-01-2006, 04:37 AM
you have guys like George Harris at Refugio (now at GP) who stayed there for what seemed like decades...

VWG
11-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Seems like my dad and the rest of the coaches ticked folks off WAY before 5 years. :p

How long has LH had their current head coach?

BlueBlood
11-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Now days it's getting shorter and shorter because of expectations

I disagree with this. I think it is harder to fire a coach today than say 20 years ago. My guess would be that coaches don't stay at schools but about an average of 5-7 years but whatever it is---it's longer than 20 years ago.

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by VWG
How long has LH had their current head coach?
This is his 6th season. My hope is that he doesn't retire/leave anytime soon....at least until my 7th grader graduates. :)

LH Panther Mom
11-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
I disagree with this. I think it is harder to fire a coach today than say 20 years ago.
The longest we ever lived in a town, at least until after I graduated (a looooonnnng time ago) was 3 years. Sometimes it was a "choice", sometimes it was the "boot". ;)

maestro
11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
9 years is a lifetime for most head coaches......

that's a long time in one place....

to stay longer i'd think that you would need some very understanding parents and a dedicated fan base...

hats off to everyone who coaches young people...

as most fans will say, " it ain't an easy way to make a living"..