PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees - Showing Bad Character

Milk That Cow
10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't care what has happened, especially something trivial about that "agent" stuff...

You should never let your relationship detoriate like that with your own MOMMA...

He's supposed to be a Leader...

I know there's probably more to this story, but this just makes him look like a bad dude...

===========================================

BREES WANTS NO PART OF MOM'S CAMPAIGN IN TEXAS

Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees has asked his mother to stop using his picture in TV commercials touting her candidacy for a Texas appeals court.

"I think the major point here is that my mother is using me in a campaign, and I've made it known many times I don't want to be involved."
-- Saints QB Drew Brees

In commercials running on Austin stations, Mina Brees had been using a picture of her son in the uniform of his former team, the San Diego Chargers, to emphasize her ties to football.

"I think the major point here is that my mother is using me in a campaign, and I've made it known many times I don't want to be involved," Drew Brees said Monday.

Mina Brees, an Austin attorney, is running as a Democrat for a spot on Texas' 3rd Court of Appeals. She said replacement commercials that omit any mention of her son were taped last week and sent to stations on Friday.

She said she did not anticipate upsetting her son and that "everything in the ad was true."

She said her connection to football is relevant to her campaign because her father, a successful high school coach, used sports to teach her a strong work ethic that she would bring to the judicial bench.

Drew Brees, who won a state football championship with Westlake High School in suburban Austin, said he got no response from his mother when he first heard about the ads and called her to ask that she stop using them. His agent sent her a letter Oct. 20 threatening legal action, he said.

He called his relationship with his mother "nonexistent" after it crumbled six years ago when he refused to hire her as his agent.

Mina Brees said her son's allegations were a mischaracterization and that she had no intention of becoming his agent.

"I love Drew very much, and I'm very proud of him. But sometimes when people are following a career path, they change," she said.

Mina Brees also said she did not receive any messages asking her to exclude her son from her campaign.

Jill Fredericks, sales director for KVUE Television, said the station received a new version of Mina Brees' commercial late Friday. The old version stopped running Sunday and the new one was scheduled to begin Tuesday, she said.

Mina Brees is challenging incumbent Republican Justice David Puryear in next week's election. The appeals court reviews civil and criminal cases from 24 counties in Central and West Texas.

bulldogman06
10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
That is crap, Brees is not showing bad character. His mother is trying to use him to gain fame, as she had done in the past (trying to be his agent). Brees just asked his mother not to use him in her commercials, why would she do that in the first place? Oh hey, look, my son plays football, what does my opponents son do??

mrescape43
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Sounds like Drew is in bad need of some attitude adjustment (IMO)

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Not really seeing how this makes him look bad? He asked his mother once and she kept running the ad. Just because she is his mom does not mean she can do whatever she wants as far as using him in political advertisments.

GreenMonster
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with your view here. In my opinion his mother should have used better judgement. She knows that their relationship is on shaky ground and she knows he doesn't want to be involved in her campaign. Her actions, not his, have caused the relationship to further deteriorate.

bulldogman06
10-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Sounds like Drew is in bad need of some attitude adjustment (IMO)

NO, sounds like Drew knows how his mother is and since he already told her he didnt want to be any part of it, how can you fault him?

mrescape43
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
I disagree. No matter what the woman has done, she is his mother and he should want to help her. The ads wouldn't have had any negative effects on his career so why should he object? This is my opinion.

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Wow! It is just a picture, so why does Drew care? If it weren't for his mother he would not be here. I personally do not see how his picture would help her, but if it does, he should be happy. RESPECT THY MOTHER! ;)

bulldogman06
10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
The thing is, she wanted to be his agent earlier, he said no because he knew that he should get an agent that is actually an agent, not his mother. evidently their relationship hasnt been very good since then, and now, without permission, she uses him to improve her own image... not cool at all. It never said he didnt love her.

"I love Drew very much, and I'm very proud of him. But sometimes when people are following a career path, they change," she said.

She is going to be a politician. ENOUGH SAID

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
The thing is, she wanted to be his agent earlier, he said no because he knew that he should get an agent that is actually an agent, not his mother. evidently their relationship hasnt been very good since then, and now, without permission, she uses him to improve her own image... not cool at all. It never said he didnt love her.

She is going to be a politician. ENOUGH SAID She said she had no intention of becoming his agent, he said she did. He said, she said, he said, she said, blah, blah, blah.

bulldogman06
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I tend to not believe politicans as much as I would other professions

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I am truly amazed people think Drew did something wrong here.

Just because she is his mother does not allow her to do these type of things without his approval.

Some of you are saying he needs to respect his mom, she raised him and all that, and that is great, but she should also respect her son and his wishes.

Ranger Mom
10-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Just because she is his mother does not allow her to do these type of things without his approval.

Some of you are saying he needs to respect his mom, she raised him and all that, and that is great, but she should also respect her son and his wishes.

I AM a mother and I have to agree with you!!

tigerbyheart
10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Wow! It is just a picture, so why does Drew care? If it weren't for his mother he would not be here. I personally do not see how his picture would help her, but if it does, he should be happy. RESPECT THY MOTHER! ;)

Respect goes both ways, and I think his "Mom" is using his career to further her own..

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Some of you are saying he needs to respect his mom, she raised him and all that, and that is great, but she should also respect her son and his wishes. IT IS JUST A PICTURE! How could this affect his career in any way?

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
IT IS JUST A PICTURE! How could this affect his career in any way?

It has nothing to do with his career, it has to do with his wish not to be used in the ad, and his mother should respect that.

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Sorry Drew, we are going to have to let you go or reduce your salary because you helped your mother get elected to the appeals court by using your picture. :D

Rabbit'93
10-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Wow! Drew is in the right and good ol' mom is trying to gain popularity based on her sons fame.

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
OK. Let's go this way---Drew shouldn't care, if it helped his mom, but his mom should respect his wishes. ;)

injuredinmelee
10-31-2006, 11:27 AM
His mother is trying to use him to gain votes. Why doesnt she try and campaign on the issues instead of using her sons name. It makesw me think of the Eddie Murphy movie.

BTEXDAD
10-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
I tend to not believe politicans as much as I would other professions

She's also an attorney. tha't two strikes

big daddy russ
10-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I disagree. No matter what the woman has done, she is his mother and he should want to help her. The ads wouldn't have had any negative effects on his career so why should he object? This is my opinion.
If your mom was going to go out and kill your sister, should you want to help out no matter what?

He never said he hated his mom anywhere in the interview, just that he asked not to be put in the ad. Maybe he knows something we don't. Maybe it's something as simple as he doesn't agree with his mom's political views. Whatever it is, we don't know, but it's still his right to turn down his mom's request.

BTW, his mom sounded like the one with low character and moral beliefs from the article... NOT Drew.

football4life
10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Sorry Drew, we are going to have to let you go or reduce your salary because you helped your mother get elected to the appeals court by using your picture. :D

i'm thinkin that's not really what is worrying drew :rolleyes:

Pudlugger
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM

Of course it could have negative effects on his career. Once you get into the political ring everything is far game. Drew does not want to alienate a large portion of his fan base. (Think Dixie Chicks, Danny Glover, and Michael J. Fox if you need examples)

Drew knows his mother and I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not all moms are saints, even in Texas.(Andre Yates was a mom once too.)

Milk That Cow
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Now there might be more to the story, but, for what was printed in that article....

For Drew Brees to have his agent "threaten legal action" TO HIS OWN MOMMA over a freaking family picture showing her football family ties...

That's Just Flat Out Wrong !!!!!!

FYI - Her Dad is ranked in the Top Ten for Career Wins in Texas High Schools and her Brother was Former UT Quarterback Marty Akins...

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Now there might be more to the story, but, for what was printed in that article....

For Drew Brees to have his agent "threaten legal action" TO HIS OWN MOMMA over a freaking family picture showing her football family ties...

That's Just Flat Out Wrong !!!!!!

FYI - Her Dad is ranked in the Top Ten for Career Wins in Texas High Schools and her Brother was Former UT Quarterback Marty Akins...

It is not wrong if he quietly asked her to not use his picture in the ad and she did not stop.

Maroon87
10-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow

Correct...Drew's grandad Ray Akins won a ton of games at Gregory-Portland.

Phil C
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
His mother is Mina and she is a fine lady. I knew her when she went to Freer schools before they moved to Portland. Shame on Drew! I hope he remembers this spoiled attitude on mother's day. :mad:

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
I can see where he is coming from.

shankbear
10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
She is a political hack trying to score points off her son's notariety since she has none of her own. Buy more real ads bimbo.

STANG RED
10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
For him to make a statement, that his relationship with his mother is "non-existant", there must be a lot of muddy water that has gone under that bridge that we know nothing about. Jumping to conclusions that Drew is the bad guy here may easily be 180 degrees off base. None of us know what has been said and/or done in this relationship by either, to sour it, and it's non of our business for that matter. I just dont think its right to jump to conclusions about either of them, on what little bit we know here.

handNthedirt
10-31-2006, 02:55 PM
The woman is a politician using her son's fame to help boost hers....this should go without saying, but this woman most definitely has HIDDEN AGENDAS!

g$$
10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Marty Akins (All American QB at Texas) & my sister's family in Marble Falls are good friends. Marty's daughter & my niece are good friends to this day at UT. Marty is a nice guy & very successful, really sweet family. Drew & his mother have been at odds for years & it has caused a split in the family. They will tell you "Drew has changed".

I am not picking sides, but I do think Drew has a point. She went against his wishes & he does not want to be involved. Who can blame him for that? To me, it is a family issue.

BTW, Marty (lawyer too) is now teaching political science at Huston-Tillotson College in Austin & coaching the golf team. Daughter Angela is now playing golf at Texas after transferring from TCU.

BigTex
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Casey Sheehan may have had a problem with his Mom's political views as well. It sure hasn't kept her from dragging his name through everything she has done. The rest of his family disowned her...... Drew's Mom should know better. My Mom and I get along great, but she would have the common decency to ask me before involving me in any type of endoresment, political or otherwise.

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
His mother is Mina and she is a fine lady. I knew her when she went to Freer schools before they moved to Portland. Shame on Drew! I hope he remembers this spoiled attitude on mother's day. :mad:

Or maybe shame on her for doing something agianst his wish.

Phil C
11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
In about 1965 when my family still ran the Freer Drive In Theatre I remember Mina (Akins) Brees too her younger sister and brother Marty (who later was an All American QB at Texas) to watch the movie once. Their father was the football coach at Freer (before they went to Portland). The night was a double feature but I don't remember both movies. I had seen the second movie the night before. I wonder if someone had told them about it. :)
Anyway the name of the movie was The Town Tamer with Dana Andrews, Terry Moore (supposedly once secretly married to billionnaire Howard Hughes), DeForest Kelly (later on the original popular Star Trek series), Lyle Betger, Lon Channey (not the famous Lon Chaney of the silent movies but his son), and Philip Carey (as Jim Akins). That is right a character named Akins was part of the plot. The basic plot is that Andrews is hired as a town tamer in which Betger is a hired gun by the other side. The catch is he is working for the same man (Bruce Cabot who was the star in 1930's King Kong) who had hired him to shoot Andrews in another town but he missed and killed Andrews wife.
Akins is another man that works for the bad guys as does Kelly who is Terry's wife. Kelly gets put into jail and of course a love interest begins with Andrews and Moore.

I won't give away the whole plot since some of you may watch the movie. But Andrews gets Moore because as the doctor tells him near the end of the movie that she is a widow because "that fellow Akins shot him through his cell window. Two of the railroad men shot Akins as he was trying to get away."

When I saw them I knew they were going to see that part. I always wondered what they (especially Mina since she was closest to my age) thought about it. I never did ask. Well some things are left better to mystery I conclude as I reach for my cup of coffee.

lepfan
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I did not read all the comments, but am going to give mine! I am sure there are "things" that have happened that have not been made public (and probably don't need to either) that have contributed to the parent/child feelings they are having now.

Phil C
11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Drew may also be mad because he could never beat his mother in tennis. :)

SWMustang
11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Drew's wife and mom don't get along - that's what I heard. She wanted him to sign a pre nup and he didn't want to.

g$$
11-02-2006, 12:25 PM
That may be true. When I spoke to Marty Akins at my sister's bday party, he told me "Drew has changed". Sounds like a family issue to me. He left it at that.

But Drew's mom went against his wishes & I can't blame him for not wanting to be involved in a political campaign.

Phil C
11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That may be true. When I spoke to Marty Akins at my sister's bday party, he told me "Drew has changed". Sounds like a family issue to me. He left it at that.

But Drew's mom went against his wishes & I can't blame him for not wanting to be involved in a political campaign.

Hey g$$ sounds like you may know Marty pretty good. If you see him again will you ask him that question I wondered about years ago at that movie? He may not remember it because he was proably about 12. On second thought never mind. Some things best left to mystery.

g$$
11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
PhilC:

I do not know Marty all that well, but I have spoken to him many times & he knows some members of my family very well. His daughter Angela & my niece are the same age & played sports together at Marble Falls. At that party mentioned above we visited about sports, Drew Brees, etc. I could tell right away there were problems with Drew & his mom (Marty's sister). Not my business.

If & when I see him again, I think I will mention the movie! That is too good to pass up. These young pups on here don't realize just how good of a player Marty Akins was - he told me he was the 1st All American QB at Texas. And VY broke some of his rushing & scoring records too. I remember watching him run the wishbone at Texas when I was young. Had some great stories about DKR & Earl Campbell, etc. It was fun to hear him talk about the old days at Texas. He also said he wished he could have redshirted at Texas.

Nice guy & very sweet wife. He has done well in law & business interests. His dad was a tough hombre & one heck of a coach. Ray Akins last I heard lives near College Station & has some land, etc. Quite a family.

spiveyrat
11-02-2006, 01:26 PM

If your mom was robbing a bank, would you be waiting outside for her in the car with the motor running?

SpreadtheRed
11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
for those who think he is showin bad character ur an idiot. He doesn't want his picture being shown on a democratic campaign