PDA

View Full Version : Best Drive Trough Burgers in America!

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
The Leps are playing Smithville so I'm not going to post football this week. The Tigers have had a tough run since the 90's and there is no point in going into the details.

However, when it comes to one of my other favorite pastimes, I have to admit I love drive in burgers. One of my earliest memories is my dad driving the whole family in his 1941 Chevy to a burger joint in Sepulveda in West LA. He would come back to the car with bags full of fries, burgers and shakes for like $4.00! This was in 1951! My father in law had a chance to buy stock in a start up company that sold hamburgers for 15 cents! He said it would nver fly! McDonald's!

When I was 16 in 1962 we used to drive from Ontario CA to the beach (usually Laguna or Corona Dell Mar). We would stop in Tustin for 15 cent hamburgers and 5 cent fries. It was one of the first McDonald's. It was out in the country then but now the place is wall to wall houses and developments!

When I was in my twenties a place openned up near my folks. It was called In 'N Out. It had a yellow Lightening bolt for its 'Avitar'. Well, from that day on it was my favorite burger joint. Try a double double cheesburger all the way with animal fries (cheese, chili, and fries). Lines of cars in the drive-through a quarter mile down Ventura Blvd in the Valley on a Friday night.

Other favorites? Henry's Drive in on Foothill Blvd in Pomona CA. Have any of you seen the movie American Graffiti? well the drive in in the movie was Henry's. Girls skated out to your car under hollywood bulb lighting in the overhead. Every swinging dude in town with a bad ride would be there on friday night. Taquitos, burgers, shakes, fries, rings, rootbeer floats, whatever! I'll tell you this some of the hottest women and cars I have ever seen were at Henry"s on any given Friday night.:D

Bull19
10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The Leps are playing Smithville so I'm not going to post football this week. The Tigers have had a tough run since the 90's and there is no point in going into the details.

However, when it comes to one of my other favorite pastimes, I have to admit I love drive in burgers. One of my earliest memories is my dad driving the whole family in his 1941 Chevy to a burger joint in Sepulveda in West LA. He would come back to the car with bags full of fries, burgers and shakes for like $4.00! This was in 1951! My father in law had a chance to buy stock in a start up company that sold hamburgers for 15 cents! He said it would nver fly! McDonald's!

When I was 16 in 1962 we used to drive from Ontario CA to the beach (usually Laguna or Corona Dell Mar). We would stop in Tustin for 15 cent hamburgers and 5 cent fries. It was one of the first McDonald's. It was out in the country then but now the place is wall to wall houses and developments!

When I was in my twenties a place openned up near my folks. It was called In 'N Out. It had a yellow Lightening bolt for its 'Avitar'. Well, from that day on it was my favorite burger joint. Try a double double cheesburger all the way with animal fries (cheese, chili, and fries). Lines of cars in the drive-through a quarter mile down Ventura Blvd in the Valley on a Friday night.

Other favorites? Henry's Drive in on Foothill Blvd in Pomona CA. Have any of you seen the movie American Graffiti? well the drive in in the movie was Henry's. Girls skated out to your car under hollywood bulb lighting in the overhead. Every swinging dude in town with a bad ride would be there on friday night. Taquitos, burgers, shakes, fries, rings, rootbeer floats, whatever! I'll tell you this some of the hottest women and cars I have ever seen were at Henry"s on any given Friday night.:D

READING THAT MAKES ME THINK OF THE MOVIE 'THE OUTSIDERS' DRAWS A PICTURE IN MY HEAD OF EVERYONE AT THE LOCAL DINER WEARING LEATHER JACKETS SITTING ON CAR HOODS FLIRTING WITH THE CHEERLEADERS WEARING THEIR SWEATERS

3afan
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
no need to yell :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

Old Tiger
10-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Storms has good burgers

handNthedirt
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
that's how I am with bars....I love them!

3afan
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Storms has good burgers

used to have good burgers ..... they've gone downhill in recent years IMO

Old Tiger
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
used to have good burgers ..... they've gone downhill in recent years IMO Haven't ate at a Storms in years just going by what I remember.

handNthedirt
10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Dan's Burgers in Austin is at the top of the list....don't eat at his ex-wife's burger joints, Fran's Burgers, they used to all be Dan's, she left him and took half his bank....biiiiiaaaaaatch!

bobcat1
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Big Scotty in Wichita Falls at Scott's Drive In. Glass Kitchen for Chili Dogs and Burgers also.

Burger Fixin's in Celina is pretty dang good too.

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
READING THAT MAKES ME THINK OF THE MOVIE 'THE OUTSIDERS' DRAWS A PICTURE IN MY HEAD OF EVERYONE AT THE LOCAL DINER WEARING LEATHER JACKETS SITTING ON CAR HOODS FLIRTING WITH THE CHEERLEADERS WEARING THEIR SWEATERS

That was a great movie, a real cult classic. There was the aire of being on the outside, sketchy, almost an outlaw in those innocent days.

GreenMonster
10-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Big Scotty in Wichita Falls at Scott's Drive In. Glass Kitchen for Chili Dogs and Burgers also.

Pat's is better than Scott's. Glass Kitchen has the best Taco Basket in the world!

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
The Elite Cafe in the Waco Circle is another good joint.:D

GreenMonster
10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
The Elite Cafe in the Waco Circle is another good joint.:D

I missed out on the Elite, too busy downing Big O's at George's!

JR2004
10-30-2006, 09:29 PM

In-N-Out is one of my favorite places to eat at when I go out to Los Angeles. I wish they had one here in Dallas. The closest one I've found to here was in Phoenix. :(

Bull19
10-30-2006, 09:31 PM
YOU CANT FORGET "THE HILL" IN BELLVILLE. VOTED BEST BURGER AND ONION RINGS IN AUSTIN COUNTY

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Gotta mention the best burger joint in the Lep's backyard (and the Buffs too)...the Warda Burger at the Warda Cafe halfway b/w La Grange and Giddings on Hwy 77.. Those burgers are goooood, and they cook them how you like them rather than burning them (all those E. coli lawyers don'cha know?).:D

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
YOU CANT FORGET "THE HILL" IN BELLVILLE. VOTED BEST BURGER AND ONION RINGS IN AUSTIN COUNTY

Dang! I passed that place last Friday on the way home and wished I'd stopped there. Thanks man, I'll try it.:D

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
In-N-Out is one of my favorite places to eat at when I go out to Los Angeles. I wish they had one here in Dallas. The closest one I've found to here was in Phoenix. :(

Yeah, they have them in Arizona too! Apparently after the founder and his son died in a tragic airplane crash in 2000 flying into John Wayne airport in their private jet (hit a vortex from a jumbo jet in front and augered in) the grandma was in charge of the company. Her favorite grandchild was next in line but an executive in the company teamed up with minority holders in the family to dispute control over the company. That lawsuit is still unresolved and until then no In 'N Out in Texas. I gurantee you when they do come they will rock the hamburger world! No kidding, they are way better than anything on the road today and low prices too. (btw they pay well and give benefits to their employees).

bobcat1
10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I used to go in Pat's down on Burnett in Wichita Falls. Now they are on Scott aren't they? They used to make this huge hamburger and those real fries are awesome.

Leopards,class of 75
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
MG's in Sherman is really good too! They use home-made buns and good quality meat with fresh cut fries, not frozen. And on Saturday's it's all you can eat for one set price.

injuredinmelee
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1

Scotts is good!!! The absolute best burger in the world is an In & Out Double Double Monster style.

injuredinmelee
10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

Your right the closest is PHX. I know where the closest one to LAX, Ontario, and John Wayne are. Also know where the closest one to McCarran is also. The first stop I mae after the rental car places.

ILS1
10-31-2006, 12:01 AM
When I used to live in Ft. Worth there was this place called Griffs. The best burgers and fries around!! Very cheap as well!!!!

Tx Challenge
10-31-2006, 12:14 AM
In-and- Out is awesome. I travel to Ca a lot. When ever I am there or in Vegas, I make sure I go there

VWG
10-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
When I used to live in Ft. Worth there was this place called Griffs. The best burgers and fries around!! Very cheap as well!!!!

Ate at Griff's over in Haltom City about three weeks ago for lunch. Still make a mean double cheeseburger.

bobcat1
10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Kincaids in Ft. Worth is good also! :clap:

GreenMachine
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Chili-cheese burgers at K&N Drive In in Cuero are deee-licious:)

44INAROW
10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Homemade chili - excellent no doubt! I like the chili-cheese fries as well :)

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
In-and- Out is awesome. When ever I am in Vegas, I make sure I go there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

raider red 2000
10-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine

not bad.

but dont forget that SONIC is America's Drive-In :D

BTEXDAD
10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
In N out is excellent, but I had posted on another thread that I actually thought Carl Jrs/Carls Jr had better tasting burgers in Cal.
The Hill is good, but my favorite in bellville is those at Quick Stop (next to Galileo's) Grill is only open a few hours a day at lunch. Menu is lot more limited than the Hill, but burgers are fantastic.