PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

44INAROW
10-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Just an FYI - Friday Night Lights will be on tonight (Monday 10/30) @ 9 pm on NBC - guess the network is moving it to see if it will do better in the ratings.......

District303aPastPlayer
10-30-2006, 11:56 AM
i honestly dont think the show will last another season

Adidas410s
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
they will also be re-airing the episode tmrw in it's regular 7PM time slot.

Keith7
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
The show was highly acclaimed by critics, but i think people are gettin sick of the whole "friday night lights"/ taking high school football too seriously theme.. shows like these just make Texas High school Football fans look ignorant anyways

3afan
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i honestly dont think the show will last another season

agree

Blastoderm55
10-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Shouldn't have put it head-to-head against Dancing With The Stars. I know that's what I'm always stuck watching. :(

District303aPastPlayer
10-30-2006, 12:40 PM
honestly, they should have consulted more texas HS players/coaches/fans to make this show...

3afan
10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Shouldn't have put it head-to-head against Dancing With The Stars. I know that's what I'm always stuck watching. :(

you need to man up on that bro ..............

sweetwater07
10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
is this show actually about Permian...or just some random non-existing football team in Texas??...i noticed they have the same helmet decal as Permian's but totally different colors..

3afan
10-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
is this show actually about Permian...or just some random non-existing football team in Texas??...i noticed they have the same helmet decal as Permian's but totally different colors..

random team ..........

sweetwater07
10-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
random team ..........

then i don't see how it can have the same intensity as the movie if its about some random team in Texas.....not mention i'm sure it makes us look like a bunch of losers with no lives when ppl from other states watch this show...making it so dramatic.....is it a 5A team i'm guessing??

3afan
10-30-2006, 01:07 PM
dont recall them saying 5A/4A/3A ..... not really relevant to the story

handNthedirt
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
honestly, they should have consulted more texas HS players/coaches/fans to make this show...

Who's to say they didn't?

g$$
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I know NBC has ordered more episodes. My sister & 2 young nephews in Austin were cast in the 10th episode recently & have already filmed it. Submitted photos & were selected to be in a show. They are extras in the background at a church from what I understand. They got paid & everything! I believe they are now airing show 4 or 5 currently.

That being said, it is a little over the top some of the time. Maybe most of the time would be more accurate.

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Everyone complains that the show is "over the top" and to "hollywood"

Well duh...Do you think Lawyers in real life act like they do in Boston Legal, or doctors in real life act like they do in Grey's anatomy?

FNL is not trying to be realistic, it is trying to catch the essence of what HS football in Texas is about, and I honestly think it does a pretty good job of showing how football captures the town heart, the pressures on the coaches and the kids. Of course it is overly dramatic, but it has to be.

Snyder_TigerFan
10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Well duh...Do you think Lawyers in real life act like they do in Boston Legal, or doctors in real life act like they do in Grey's anatomy?

FNL is not trying to be realistic, it is trying to catch the essence of what HS football in Texas is about, and I honestly think it does a pretty good job of showing how football captures the town heart, the pressures on the coaches and the kids. Of course it is overly dramatic, but it has to be.

:thumbsup: I agree. And personally, I've enjoyed it.

Old Tiger
10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I like the show. It's a good show.

44INAROW
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Nice analogy........... and I agree -

g$$
10-30-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree, boring does not sell. I've enjoyed what I have seen too.

But the ratings have been awful, maybe due to time slot against Dancing... & maybe because the public is tired of this theme. I don't know, guess we'll see if it continues much longer.

You mean all plastic surgeons don't act like those on Nip/Tuck either? Amazing! ;)

Txbroadcaster
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
LOL..The biggest problem is NBC does not understand the audience they are trying to reach IMO..and the ratings are not terrible, but the fact each episode cost 2.5 mill a make is also what is hurting it

GreenMachine
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I like the show. It's a good show. Dang it! I'll have to agree with you :)

LHMom
10-30-2006, 06:37 PM

Agree completely. Not realistic, but what TV shows are. I look at is as a drama, that happens to have a little football in it.

I liked it from the beginning and am enjoying it more each week as they evolve the characters.

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
you need to man up on that bro .............. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Going up against Monday Night Football to help the ratings? Sounds like they're throwing in the towel.

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

Who's wearing the pants Blastoderm?:D

g$$
10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, I like the show too. But the ratings have been bad - look at USA Today or other sites that detail these things. The costs per episode do not help either.

Going against MNF tonight is not too smart IMO. But Tuesday is the regular night anyway.

3afan
10-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know NBC has ordered more episodes. My sister & 2 young nephews in Austin were cast in the 10th episode recently & have already filmed it. Submitted photos & were selected to be in a show. They are extras in the background at a church from what I understand. They got paid & everything! I believe they are now airing show 4 or 5 currently.

That being said, it is a little over the top some of the time. Maybe most of the time would be more accurate.

what is not "accurate" about the show?

g$$
10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Read above - some feel it is over dramatized, over the top, etc. But it is a TV show! It has to be in a lot of ways to get viewers.

I like the show, book, & movie personally.

DTownJack88
10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
well i think it is a good show but id like to see it have more football in it cuz it is kind of starting to get a little boring

NDFootball
10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
It's better than 2 a days

but not much better.

DTownJack88
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Isn't two-a-days the one that is sort of a reality type show or whatever? if so i didn't care much for it

Old Tiger
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by DTownJack88
Isn't two-a-days the one that is sort of a reality type show or whatever? if so i didn't care much for it true

infamous
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
this show is already a huge flop, the only excitement for it left is the fact that they're filming it in the awesomeness that is HERE.

but other than that they focus too much on the stupid crap that has nothing to do with football or the fans or even the players.
i mean...seriously, I know or have been told that some of the writers have been visiting various football games to get a more "actual" feel and make the show as realistic as possible so they probably lurk here and read fans posts and stuff and if that's true then your show sucks and you need to stop making a fool out of the players and the game of football let alone Texas.

I mean...seriously, crap is crap and nothing more.

DTownJack88
10-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by infamous
this show is already a huge flop, the only excitement for it left is the fact that they're filming it in the awesomeness that is HERE.

but other than that they focus too much on the stupid crap that has nothing to do with football or the fans or even the players.
i mean...seriously, I know or have been told that some of the writers have been visiting various football games to get a more "actual" feel and make the show as realistic as possible so they probably lurk here and read fans posts and stuff and if that's true then your show sucks and you need to stop making a fool out of the players and the game of football let alone Texas.

I mean...seriously, crap is crap and nothing more.

well i tried to put it a nice way, but this pretty much sums it all up for me too

pantherpop
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
voodoo!

infamous
10-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DTownJack88
well i tried to put it a nice way, but this pretty much sums it all up for me too

I'm sorry I would be nice if the show at least was decent enough to be nice...but the show the actors are all a waste... I have never wasted my time trying to tolerate stupidity, I mean I do enough here already but this show on it's own should win the award of being cancelled.

handNthedirt
10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I would've given Voodoo's sorry ass the boot...we now know the coach has zero morals...although it's visible that his conscience disagrees with him.

tuff26
10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I do not think it will last another season as well

mchavez
10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree rhis show wont last long!! What coach would go for the win on a two point conversion, instead of being safe and just kicking?

setxsports
10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I really like the show. Can't wait until next week.

Pudlugger
10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
VooDoo ..... what a tool!

ILS1
10-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I wonder how much Pflugerville HS is getting from all this?? Using there colors,uniforms,facilities,logos and mascot. I wonder would they have to ask schools to use the images of their schools. Case in point,in the opening credits,they show (Hutto) Hippo Stadium.

:D

3afan
10-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by mchavez
I agree rhis show wont last long!! What coach would go for the win on a two point conversion, instead of being safe and just kicking?

its not that unusual to go for 2 and the win ..........

LHMom
10-31-2006, 07:51 AM
LH went for 2 to win instead of tie against Burnet in '04. We didn't make it, but like you said - it happens.

rb585
10-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by mchavez

:rolleyes:

A guy named Tom Osbourne once did this in the Orange Bowl.

Bill Cowher did it last year.

Perhaps you've heard of them.

spiveyrat
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM

:thumbsup:

infamous
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
I wonder how much Pflugerville HS is getting from all this?? Using there colors,uniforms,facilities,logos and mascot. I wonder would they have to ask schools to use the images of their schools. Case in point,in the opening credits,they show (Hutto) Hippo Stadium.

:D

yeah, *** @ that. Being Pflugerville or just the small towns [including Hutto] people are probably like OMGOMGOMGOGMOGM A TV CREW OMGOMGOGMOGMG WE'RE GONNA BE FAMOUS OMGOMGOGMOGMGOM I GO TO THAT SCHOOL OGMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGO

seriously, the entire movie/tv magic thing loses it's appeal once you've been there and done that...

ILS1
10-31-2006, 11:54 AM
??? Anyways,in no way is Pflugerville a small town anymore. They have 1 5A HS (P-ville High) and 2 4A HS (Connally & Hendrickson). And a 4th HS on the way. Hutto will be the same way very soon. I don't think the luster of being on National TV or video every wears off unless that particular show or series is a flop!!!

:D :D

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
Agree completely. Not realistic, but what TV shows are. I look at is as a drama, that happens to have a little football in it.

I liked it from the beginning and am enjoying it more each week as they evolve the characters.

:clap: :clap: Me too!!! UIL investigation...that never happens. ;)

Ranger Mom
10-31-2006, 12:06 PM
I think they should have a reality show about the dynamics of a football message board....they could film Meet and Greets, track the shirts, film certain individuals in their homes laughing hysterically about something in the chat.....wouldn't that be FUN???:D :D

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think they should have a reality show about the dynamics of a football message board....they could film Meet and Greets, track the shirts, film certain individuals in their homes laughing hysterically about something in the chat.....wouldn't that be FUN???:D :D That would be INSANE, but I like it!!

Ranger Mom
10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That would be INSANE, but I like it!!

You know you want everyone to witness the "SCREAM laugh"!!;)

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I think they should have a reality show about the dynamics of a football message board....they could film Meet and Greets, track the shirts, film certain individuals in their homes laughing hysterically about something in the chat.....wouldn't that be FUN???:D :D

Would have to be on cable cause all the guys on here prob sit around in their underwear while on the computer

NEXT WEEK ON 3DL: The Passion of the Boards

Ranger Mom recruits an illegal Mod who could be the key in a great board, or bring everyone down in flames.

The decision of a life time as LH PANTHER MOM must decide...family, or 3DL.

And what happens when a meet and greet goes horribly wrong as Carter08 actually shows up.

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 12:14 PM
You know you want everyone to witness the "SCREAM laugh"!!;) :eek: :eek: and you know you want everone to witness the choir (http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/alleluia.wav) :evillol:

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Would have to be on cable cause all the guys on here prob sit around in their underwear while on the computer

NEXT WEEK ON 3DL: The Passion of the Boards

Ranger Mom recruits an illegal Mod who could be the key in a great board, or bring everyone down in flames.

The decision of a life time as LH PANTHER MOM must decide...family, or 3DL.

And what happens when a meet and greet goes horribly wrong as Carter08 actually shows up. :clap: :clap: ROFLMAO!!!! poor Carter08!!!! :D

g$$
10-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by rb585
:rolleyes:

A guy named Tom Osbourne once did this in the Orange Bowl.

Bill Cowher did it last year.

Perhaps you've heard of them.

Yes, going for 2 is not unheard of in football. But, usually you do it if you think your team is inferior & the best chance to win is right there. Or, if you have had an injury or injuries that may affect you later on in the game (kicker, best player, etc.).

Tom Osborne & Nebraska did that in the '83 Orange Bowl against Miami & that was also before OT in college football. Baylor did it to beat A&M 2 years ago - they said it was their best shot.

Rule of thumb, if you don't have major injuries & you feel your team is the better team, then go to OT & win it.

Ranger Mom
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: and you know you want everone to witness the choir (http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/alleluia.wav) :evillol:

I dunno.....it might bring everyone down...things would be said, tempers would rage out of control......fist flying, hair pulling....

Yeah!! Definately the choir!!!:clap: :clap:

pirate4state
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I dunno.....it might bring everyone down...things would be said, tempers would rage out of control......fist flying, hair pulling....

Yeah!! Definately the choir!!!:clap: :clap: It would certainly provide the drama!!! :p :p

infamous
10-31-2006, 12:35 PM

Mandy should join that ;)