6 TDS

WR David Coe, Luling
3 catches 114 yards 2 TD's

LHSEagleFan
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
When does the voting end?

big daddy russ
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Who did they all play, and what was each opponent's record?

LHSEagleFan
10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Luling played West Campus (5-2).

big daddy russ
10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by LHSEagleFan
Luling played West Campus (5-2).
Good team. Coe may not have had the most outstanding stats in the group, but if he was the only one to play against a good team then my vote goes to him.

injuredinmelee
10-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by LHSEagleFan
When does the voting end?

Voting ends tomorrow morning.

Ray_BearKat
10-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Carlo the Great
Raymondville QB pulls down honor for Week Eight
By ARMANDO GARZA
armandog@valleystar.com 956-421-9874

RAYMONDVILLE — Carlo Dominguez had a perfect night last Friday in Raymondville’s 48-12 win over Falfurrias, except for one thing. He got sick the next day. Despite waking up Saturday morning with a flu bug that he caught in the previous evening’s cold winds, Dominguez had a week to remember for the Bearkats.
The senior quarterback combined for 300 total yards and accounted for six touchdowns en route to earning the Valley Morning Star’s Player of the Week honor for Week Eight.
He played only two quarters and a series because of the Bearkats’ big lead over the Jerseys. Raymondville led 21-0 after the first quarter and 42-6 at the half. He ended Homecoming night with 205 yards passing and four touchdowns while adding 95 yards and two more scores rushing.
“It felt good to come out fast,” Dominguez said. “The offensive line was great. They give me a lot of time. It’s not all me, it’s the line and receivers, too.”
When asked at what point of the Falfurrias game made him realize he was having a special night, Dominguez said he saw what everyone else at Burnett Stadium saw.
“When the score was the way it was at halftime,” he said with a grin. “It just felt great.”
In a week full of superb statlines, including those by Weslaco’s Mishak Rivas and Los Fresnos’ Jeremy Springer, Dominguez’s one-half game was that much more important because it got the Bearkats back in the playoffs.
On the year, Dominguez has 1,389 yards passing with 17 touchdowns. In addition, he has 764 yards and 12 touchdowns running the ball.
Numbers as gaudy as those could easily inflate one’s ego. Not Carlo Dominguez.
“I’d rather throw a touchdown pass,” he said matter-of-factly. “I think it shows more teamwork. I love for the receivers to run good routes and catch the ball. I’d rather have them score.”
It’s been an interesting year for Dominguez, to say the least. Coming off a 1-8 campaign last year, the signal-caller said veteran coach Alex Leal has rebuilt the ’Kats and fine-tuned his game, too.
“My footwork,” he said of his most-improved area. “Coach Leal’s been helping me with my feet and studying film has helped, too.”
After winning only one game, last year, one of the team’s low points was allowing a Valley-record 403 yards rushing to Port Isabel’s Marky Villarreal.
However, the biggest difference from 2005’s team has been something that Dominguez said has helped the Bearkats get back to their winning ways.
“The team’s attitude,” he said quickly. “Coach Leal has brought a good attitude to the team. This year we have a good team chemistry and we just don’t want what happened last year to happen again.”
Dominguez’s toughness has never been in question, either. In fact, when playing against Port Isabel earlier in the season, he was having trouble breathing during the contest but remained in the game. As a result, the Bearkats repaid the Tarpons for the 2005 game, beating PI 42-34.
Describing himself as a player was not the easiest thing for the modest QB, who has played under center since junior high.
“I think I’m very humble,” he said. “I can throw the ball. Okay, maybe I am kinda quick.
“You’re the leader of the team,” he explained. “There’s some pressure, but you’ve just go to learn to play with it. There’s gonna be pressure in anything you do.”
The Bearkats’ turnaround can be completed Friday night, as they make the 150-mile trek to Zapata to take on the Hawks for the District 31-3A title.
After Friday’s big-time tilt, the Bearkats enjoy a week off before embarking on their playoff journey with Dominguez at the controls.
“We want the district title,” he said. “It’s something we haven’t had here in a long time.”