PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young and Tennessee beat Houston Texans 28 to 22!!

Phil C
10-29-2006, 06:28 PM
This is probably going to be the biggest first round draft pick that will ever be in history. Houston could have had Vince and no doubt he left for the NFL early hoping they would draft him since he is from there and had the first choice. Houston fans begged the Texans to draft Vince and they didn't listen. The owner could have insisted on it so he is responsible so you can't blame the general manager or the coaches even though they were wrong.
What a goof up. Then on top of that they didn't even draft Reggie Bush which compounds the goof up.

ESPN coming up: The top five reasons you can't blame the Texans for not drafting Vince Young.

I am waiting.

They also will need to have: The top five reasons you can't blame the Texans for not drafting Reggie Bush.

I need some convincing ESPN. How about it. :)

Phil C
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Here is the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt=ArLg3g9irwdFYmkhAt63AXhDubYF?gid=200610 29010&prov=ap

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
I can see how you consider not drafting Reggie Bush is a goof up but I can give you a reason for not drafting VY.

David Carr- He can be a really great QB. If they had drafted VY then they would have thrown all that money away that they gave to Carr to draft another #1 pick QB. The way that offensive line is I don't think Vince Young would've done much better than Carr, if at all. I think VY will be better than David Carr but they didn't draft him probably just because of a sheer money issue.

As far as drafting Mario Williams, I'm just as puzzled as you are.

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Texans defense was good.

Take away that punt return for a TD and the fumble for a TD and this is a different ball game.

All they have to do now is find the right linemen and quarterback and they will be set. Perhaps a big time secondary player.

Phil C
10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
I can see how you consider not drafting Reggie Bush is a goof up but I can give you a reason for not drafting VY.

David Carr- He can be a really great QB. If they had drafted VY then they would have thrown all that money away that they gave to Carr to draft another #1 pick QB. The way that offensive line is I don't think Vince Young would've done much better than Carr, if at all. I think VY will be better than David Carr but they didn't draft him probably just because of a sheer money issue.

I don't agree with everything above of course but you brought out some good points and I can understand your points. Good reply.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't agree with everything above of course but you brought out some good points and I can understand your points. Good reply.

Lol probably the David Carr being pretty good. I don't think he was worth a #1 pick, but when the Texans had their first draft I guess they wanted him to be the face of their franchise. Don't get me wrong I despise VY but there's no denying he is phenomonal.

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
These Were QB's taken in this draft;
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Josh McCown
David Garrard
Rohan Davey
Randy Fasani
Kurt Kittner
Brandon Doman
Craig Nall
J.T. O'sullivan
Seth Burford
Jeff Kelly
Wes Pate

As you can tell this was a horrible year for quarterbacks. Only 5 of these are probably active on NFL rosters today.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
These Were QB's taken in this draft;
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
Josh McCown
David Garrard
Rohan Davey
Randy Fasani
Kurt Kittner
Brandon Doman
Craig Nall
J.T. O'sullivan
Seth Burford
Jeff Kelly
Wes Pate

As you can tell this was a horrible year for quarterbacks. Only 5 of these are probably active on NFL rosters today.

Ouch. The only halfway decent one has been David Carr =\. That's not saying much either.

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 06:46 PM
IMO they should have went defensively and drafted Julius Peppers or someone of that calibur on defense. This draft was loaded with defensive stars.

On another note Carson Palmer was the 1st pick the following year.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:54 PM
IMO they should have went defensively and drafted Julius Peppers or someone of that calibur on defense. This draft was loaded with defensive stars.

On another note Carson Palmer was the 1st pick the following year.

Carson Palmer is the man.

He made a believer out of me against none other than ND :rolleyes:

g$$
10-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Texans have screwed up many draft picks, not just last year. It is an organization basically starting over under Kubiak.

I have always questioned Carr's toughness & leadership.

I said it then & still say now: Texans should have traded down & gotten multiple picks for the overall #1 last year. They need players at multiple positions. Maybe could have gotten a late #1, a #2, & #3 for it or at least 2 picks. They blew it, & everyone knows it. It will haunt them for years to come.

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
On another note Reggie Bush fumbled and threw an INT today.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texans have screwed up many draft picks, not just last year. It is an organization basically starting over under Kubiak.

I have always questioned Carr's toughness & leadership.

I said it then & still say now: Texans should have traded down & gotten multiple picks for the overall #1 last year. They need players at multiple positions. Maybe could have gotten a late #1, a #2, & #3 for it or at least 2 picks. They blew it, & everyone knows it. It will haunt them for years to come.

They could throw all their games on purpose and draft Brady Quinn. :D

Phil C
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
They may have lost but the TT QB looks good.

Phil C
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey I saw this at another web site where the Houston owner is saying "Wow! I could have had a VY."

:D

Highschoolfan78
10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Ouch. The only halfway decent one has been David Carr =\. That's not saying much either.

Garrad is good also.. he's never really gotten the opportunity. He showed what he could do last year at the end of the season.

Highschoolfan78
10-29-2006, 08:21 PM
They could throw all their games on purpose and draft Brady Quinn. :D

no cuz then they'll take some guy named fred jackson Defensive tackle. better yet i can see them drafin a kicker first

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 08:24 PM
I heard they were wanting the stud water boy from Temple. Just a rumor but they said that with the Texans in the draft he is a sure lock as a top 10 pick in the draft.

As reported by Fox Sports

g$$
10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Graham Harrell is not an NFL qb. Same as all the others, products of the system. Kingsbury, Symons, none of them have made it. Kingsbury was a practice squad guy for a while, now out of the league. He's been the best of the bunch.

Harrell will put up lots of #s in college, but lacks the arm strength to play on Sundays. Leach at some point will probably get himself a future NFL guy (maybe there now redshirting).

Pmoney
10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Garrad is good also.. he's never really gotten the opportunity. He showed what he could do last year at the end of the season.
and he also led the Jags to a win against the Eagles in Philly today

Crimestick
10-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Am I the only one who is at least a little impressed by Mario Williams? I prefer him over Young and CERTAINLY over Metcalf... er... I mean Bush. He's got 3.5 sacks, and it's much more difficult to be impressive when you don't touch the ball - much less touch the ball every play.
I saw VY play in HS in person and in college. I was SO GLAD the Texans didn't draft him. I still don't think he'll be a star in the NFL. The Texans made the right pick.

Phil C
10-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Am I the only one who is at least a little impressed by Mario Williams? I prefer him over Young and CERTAINLY over Metcalf... er... I mean Bush. He's got 3.5 sacks, and it's much more difficult to be impressive when you don't touch the ball - much less touch the ball every play.
I saw VY play in HS in person and in college. I was SO GLAD the Texans didn't draft him. I still don't think he'll be a star in the NFL. The Texans made the right pick.

Get ready. Tennessee will win 3 super bowls in the next ten years under VY. New dynasty coming.

BTEXDAD
10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Texans defense was good.

Take away that punt return for a TD and the fumble for a TD and this is a different ball game.

All they have to do now is find the right linemen and quarterback and they will be set. Perhaps a big time secondary player.
Agreed. all they need is five new offensive linemen, a new QB and a big time RB. Other than that, the offense is pretty good.

Old Tiger
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Graham Harrell is not an NFL qb. Same as all the others, products of the system. Kingsbury, Symons, none of them have made it. Kingsbury was a practice squad guy for a while, now out of the league. He's been the best of the bunch.

Harrell will put up lots of #s in college, but lacks the arm strength to play on Sundays. Leach at some point will probably get himself a future NFL guy (maybe there now redshirting). Technically he is an NFL QB just NFL Europe where all the Tech QB's go.

g$$
10-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Mario Williams I think will be a good NFL player. I do NOT think he was worthy of the #1 overall pick. He had all the measurables at the combine & scouts fell in love. They could have gotten multiple players for the pick to fill many holes. Texans are a mess & Kubiak has his work cut out for him cleaning up old problems.

Let's not put VY in Canton, Ohio just yet. He ran for 44 & threw for 87, still less than 50% too. He has a long way to go in the passing game at the pro level. Great leader & athlete no doubt, but very much a work in progress. He managed the game & did not make mistakes. Titans had 197 yds. for the game, Texans had well over 400 & lost. Stats never tell the whole story anyway, but turnovers usually do.

stxfootballfan
10-31-2006, 12:47 AM

I dont think it was a sheer money thing:

Mario Willaims 5 yrs worth as much as $54 million

Vince young 6 yrs worth as much as $58 million

plus Vince Young is a little more marketable than Mario Williams

g$$
10-31-2006, 12:51 PM
That was not it at all. They had an option on David Carr's contract for $8 million & did it before the Draft. Thus no Vince or Leinart or my favorite Cutler. Paying the #1 pick or even 1st round pick is going to happen anyway.

Paying wuss Carr is what started the ball rolling. Too much $$ invested in that guy. Now they are back to square one & benching him last Sunday. Texans are a mess.