PDA

View Full Version : Come on Baseball Fans!!

Phil C
10-29-2006, 06:19 PM
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/259699

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Because baseball isn't United States of America's past time anymore. The tides have turned to football now. It's more american! Plus the integrity of baseball has been ruined with the steroid issues as of late.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
bring back the juice baseballs and let the homeruns fly again. Nobody wants to see 2-1 ball games, 10-9 ballgame is much more action if homeruns is part of the games.

g$$
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Disagree. Any baseball purist likes low scoring, well-pitched games. I know I do as well. Gorilla ball is not real baseball. That is why college & high school changed the bats a few years back.

Baseball has set attendance & revenue records the past 2 years. Lots of teams over 3 million for year in attendance. Ratings are reflected by the TV markets of the 2 teams competing. That is what has happened when NY teams or Boston, etc. are not in it. These #s are not reflective of baseball in general.

Baseball will always be America's pastime. Football is its passion. Nothing is more American - we invented the game of baseball, summertime, families, etc.

Maroon87
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!!

The Astros weren't in it.;)

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The Astros weren't in it.;)

I second that

WTF-82
10-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Baseball is that a sport.

g$$
10-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Don't even go there!

Old saying:

Those that bash baseball either were not ever any good at it OR do not understand the finer points of the game.

Game requires tremendous skill, coordination, athleticism (position dependent), & using your brain. That's what makes it great. Any SS or OF is certainly an athlete. Much like golf - tremendous skill & hand-eye coordination while also requiring brain power to strategize. More than just running & jumping, etc.

Try hitting a round object with a round bat squarely, against a pitcher throwing 90 mph with a breaking ball, location, movement, changes in speeds, etc. in about .2 to .3 sec reaction time.

So yes, it's a sport, thanks. And I love & respect all sports.

STANG RED
10-29-2006, 07:18 PM
I love the game of baseball! But MLB has waaaaaaaaay tooooooo loooooong of a season, and nothing really matters much till after the all star break anyway. Throw in free agency, the huge disparity of the haves and have nots, then top all that with the steroids mess, and the overblown egos of far too many of the stars, and I could really care less about it. I am a baseball purist, and can appreciate a pitching dual as much as a slugfest, but their is nothing pure about the pro game anymore, so I've gotten to where I barely even pay it any mind anymore. I do know SL won the world series, but didnt really care to watch any of it.

3afan
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I love the game of baseball! But MLB has waaaaaaaaay tooooooo loooooong of a season, and nothing really matters much till after the all star break anyway. Throw in free agency, the huge disparity of the haves and have nots, then top all that with the steroids mess, and the overblown egos of far too many of the stars, and I could really care less about it. I am a baseball purist, and can appreciate a pitching dual as much as a slugfest, but their is nothing pure about the pro game anymore, so I've gotten to where I barely even pay it any mind anymore. I do know SL won the world series, but didnt really care to watch any of it.

agree that the season is a little too ling

Phil C
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
It needs to end in September. It has competition with hs, college and pro football. And even Sept may be pushing it. They might should have playoffs and everything in August. As long as it doesn't conflict with the Tour de France.

GOFOR2
10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Football is now being played almost every night of the week: NCAA and NFL. With a game on almost every night who wouldnt bypass a baseball game for a bone crushing football game. Steriods have also hurt the game. I, for one would rather watch steriod freaks beating on each other on the football field rather than illegal break home run records.

g$$
10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Anyone who thinks steroids & HGH are just in baseball is kidding himself. And yes MLB season is long, but length-wise it compares favorably with football & basketball. Obviously more games but that is because of the nature of the sport & longer stays in each city. Basketball is actually the longest, November thru June NBA Finals. Football is long too, September thru February Super Bowl. Baseball goes from April thru World Series in October.

Never will change because of records & stats. 162 games will stay the same. Done deal once they moved from 154 games.

**editted to 154 games (not 144 in the old days)

SWMustang
10-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!!

Phil, you've just uncovered the reason MLB doesn't want a salary cap over revenue sharing.

The "overnights" reported that 51.7% of the 400 homes installed in the St Louis market watched the game - and 71% of the homes that were watching TV at the time the game was on were watching the game. If New York produced that kind of numbers, it would have had a 10 share across the nation (from New York alone). You can pick up another 9 or 10 percent across the country easily and double this years ratings.

I watched the games - but it seems the fans in New York are a bunch of homers who won't watch the series if neither the all mighty Yankees or mets aren't in it.

SWMustang
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Anyone who thinks steroids & HGH are just in baseball is kidding himself. And yes MLB season is long, but length-wise it compares favorably with football & basketball. Obviously more games but that is because of the nature of the sport & longer stays in each city. Basketball is actually the longest, November thru June NBA Finals. Football is long too, September thru February Super Bowl. Baseball goes from April thru World Series in October.

Never will change because of records & stats. 162 games will stay the same. Done deal once they moved from 144 games.

I thought they expanded from 154 games to 162?

kaorder1999
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
i didnt watch one World Series game

SWMustang
10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

I forgive you :)

TAMUGRAD
10-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I Love baseball.

Favorite team/coach - Bobby Cox and the Atlanta Braves

Started following the Braves in 1990 after my son was born. He was very fussy in the evenings and I would rock him or walk him around the house. The only thing worth watching was baseball and the Braves were on TBS just about every evening.

Started going to Houston to watch them. We would stay at the Mariott over by the Galleria because that is where the Braves stayed while in town for the series. I have Javiar Lopez, Chipper Jones and Ryan Kelsko autographs.

Favorite pitchers - Greg Maddox and John Smoltz.

Season - Not too long.
I like low scoring games that are all about every single pitch.
Shut outs are great, but
No hitters are the best. You are hanging on every pitch and every swing.
Love watching kids (rookies) come up and get to play along side old timers like Fred McGriff.

Trades and changes take place every year but that is baseball, the great American past time.

Baseball, Apple Pie and ..... Yes I drive one of those too.

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Phil, how many games did you watch? I can tell you that I watched ZERO! I honestly had no interest in which team won and was too busy. Yes, I'm a slacker. ;)

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Everyone knows the Astros should have gone to the Series...

everyone else is just an imposter.

thewyliefan
10-29-2006, 11:02 PM
i thought you didnt like baseball NDfootball haha

besides....its all about them rangers

crabman
10-29-2006, 11:21 PM
When you talk about the finer points of the game, one thing has always amazed me.

You play two years of pee-wee league, one or two of minor league, three years of little league, three years of teenage ball, four years of high school, four years of college and yet not very many people get drafted and go directly to the big leagues. They have to go to the minor leagues for several years to "LEARN THE GAME!!!!". What were they doing the other 16 or 17 years of their playing time? I don't know of any other sport that takes that long to learn the finer points of.

The guys who play it really really well are just freaks. The Greg Maddux's who can hit a spot the size of a dime. The Ichiro Suzuki's who can stroke it to any field any time. The Tony Gwynn's who can see the pitcher's middle finger on the side of the ball as he delivers it so he knows whether it is a fastball or a breaking ball 4 or 5 thousandths of a second earlier than your average hitter. It really is a wonderful game.

g$$
10-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I thought they expanded from 154 games to 162?

You are right! I had a typo now fixed. It will stay at 162 all the same. Thanks for helping me out.

SnyTigBaseB07
10-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Eh i didnt watch the last two games of it. Just wasnt holding my interest, i dont like the Cards, and i knew the Tigers werent gonna win. So i watched house reruns instead on USA. = /

Ranger Mom
10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I do know SL won the world series, but didnt really care to watch any of it.

:eek: :eek: We've already had the World Series this year???

Phil C
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

SHAME!!

:mad:

Phil C
10-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Phil, how many games did you watch? I can tell you that I watched ZERO! I honestly had no interest in which team won and was too busy. Yes, I'm a slacker. ;)

SHAME!!

Phil C
10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:eek: :eek: We've already had the World Series this year???

SHAME!!