PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (9): Graham @ Vernon

LH Panther Mom
10-28-2006, 04:39 PM
The Graham Steers will travel to Vernon to take on the Lions in this district 6-3A game.

On paper, the teams appear to be fairly well-matched - Vernon with 4-4 overall record (1-1 dist) and Graham with 3-5 overall record (1-1 dist). The winner will have a leg up on top seeding for DII playoff rep.

Thoughts? Predictions?

mudcat
10-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Graham will travel to Vernon Lions :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Vernon's record is 4-4

1 loss to Midland Christian. Vernon stunk that night and were out played.

1 loss to 4A Mineral Wells (in overtime).

1 loss to Burkburnett (in overtime - missed a game winning field goal. Led the entire game).

1 loss to Decatur. Scored a game winning TD with less than 1 minute to go. Wait flag on the play- holding. Failed to convert after the penalty.

The Lions could very easily be 7-1 now.

mchavez
10-29-2006, 12:20 AM
This is a big rivalry between these two teams!! I have to go with Vernon at home on this one!!

Old Tiger
10-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Vernon

LH Panther Mom
10-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by mudcat
Graham will travel to Vernon Lions :D
:doh: I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.

VERNONLION#1
10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I am going with my Lions on this one. The winner will definitely have a leg up on representing the District in the playoffs.

VWG
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
The safe bet is to go with the Lions. Z-Motion is right, as they haven't gotten beat bad in any games they've lost.
The key to this game...(for the Steers) and any game against Vernon is stopping Whiteside. Enough said. You stop the big boy and you've got a shot.
Graham played better last week than they have in recent weeks. Which Graham team shows up in Vernon on Friday is anybody's guess. After checking online in an article about their game against IP I noticed that they got one of their receivers back. This kid, at 6'4" could make things interesting as it did against Iowa Park. He caught two touchdowns, and with his height I don't think the Lions cornerbacks can beat him on the "jump ball". Anybody else notice Chance McCoy only had two catches in that Iowa Park game?
Graham is still missing three defensive starters, so Vernon's offense should be able to move the ball. (These starters were on the D-Line and one linebacker)

Vernon 34 Graham 20

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by VWG
The safe bet is to go with the Lions. Z-Motion is right, as they haven't gotten beat bad in any games they've lost.
The key to this game...(for the Steers) and any game against Vernon is stopping Whiteside. Enough said. You stop the big boy and you've got a shot.
Graham played better last week than they have in recent weeks. Which Graham team shows up in Vernon on Friday is anybody's guess. After checking online in an article about their game against IP I noticed that they got one of their receivers back. This kid, at 6'4" could make things interesting as it did against Iowa Park. He caught two touchdowns, and with his height I don't think the Lions cornerbacks can beat him on the "jump ball". Anybody else notice Chance McCoy only had two catches in that Iowa Park game?
Graham is still missing three defensive starters, so Vernon's offense should be able to move the ball. (These starters were on the D-Line and one linebacker)

Vernon 34 Graham 20

I think Vernon has to contain the Graham QB scramble. Seemed as though IP had difficulty against the running game in the second half. (I listened to the game on the radio). Vernon did very well against Decatur which throws the ball a lot. But running the ball out of a spread offense may also give the Lions some trouble. I suspect that it will be a very good and close game.

Also Vernon has so many players going both ways they get wore down in the 4th quarter. Strong offensive play (time consumption) in the 4th giving their defense time to rest will also be key for Vernon.

RMAC
10-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I picked Graham which I think would be an upset, not a huge one, but an upset b/c Vernon is at home and yes, Graham has been terribly inconsistent this year. As far as I know, Graham doesn't have any receivers at 6'4"; I don't think there's any kid at G.H.S. that tall actually. I think they might be referring to Toby Riddell, who is about 6'1" w/ some pretty clutch hands. He cracked a vertebre in a preseason game but I thought that he was back by now. He might have reaggrevated it but I haven't talked to him since homecoming weekend. I'll give him a call and see what I can find out, but I won't give away all of our tricks . . . if we have any at all.:D

carter08
10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Neither of these teams are very good. Although, Region I is actually very weak and these may be the best teams. Vernon will win

Texasfootball2
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Neither of these teams are very good. Although, Region I is actually very weak and these may be the best teams. Vernon will win

You are obviosly delirious. Neither one of these two teams are even ranked in the top 40 of REGION ONE. Burburnett (7-1) is the class of thier district and they are ranked around 24 in 3A. This rest of this district is weak. Actually Vernon is a pretty good football team and should win this game by double digits.

Maybe you need to do some research before making statements like the quote above. Region 1 is not weak. It may be a little top heavy with only 5 or 6 top notch teams, but these 5 or 6 can play with anybody.

injuredinmelee
10-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by carter08

and is that thinking the reason you got NO picks right this week? Decatur is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the state. I would only rank Gilmer and Cuero ahead of them for certain.

VWG
10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I picked Graham which I think would be an upset, not a huge one, but an upset b/c Vernon is at home and yes, Graham has been terribly inconsistent this year. As far as I know, Graham doesn't have any receivers at 6'4"; I don't think there's any kid at G.H.S. that tall actually. I think they might be referring to Toby Riddell, who is about 6'1" w/ some pretty clutch hands. He cracked a vertebre in a preseason game but I thought that he was back by now. He might have reaggrevated it but I haven't talked to him since homecoming weekend. I'll give him a call and see what I can find out, but I won't give away all of our tricks . . . if we have any at all.:D

Guy that came back for the IP game is a WR, last name of Wright.
Classified as a junior. They say he is listed at 6'4".

RMAC
10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Guy that came back for the IP game is a WR, last name of Wright.
Classified as a junior. They say he is listed at 6'4".

Oh yeah, John Wright, yeah, I think he was going to move as his dad took the principal job at Weatherford, but I guess he stayed in Graham. Yeah, he is about 6'4".

westcoast54
10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
You are obviosly delirious. Neither one of these two teams are even ranked in the top 40 of REGION ONE. Burburnett (7-1) is the class of thier district and they are ranked around 24 in 3A. This rest of this district is weak. Actually Vernon is a pretty good football team and should win this game by double digits.

Maybe you need to do some research before making statements like the quote above. Region 1 is not weak. It may be a little top heavy with only 5 or 6 top notch teams, but these 5 or 6 can play with anybody.

Maby you should stop talking out of both sides of your mouth! "Burk is the class of the district." "The rest of the district is weak." "Actually Vernon is a pretty good football team." Which is it? This district is a toss up? Anyone can win on any given night. Nobody has clinched a playoff spot yet. It will come down to the last week before everything is settled.

I have no idea how you say Region I is weak either. Maby you should do some research before you pop off.

Texasfootball2
10-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Maby you should stop talking out of both sides of your mouth! "Burk is the class of the district." "The rest of the district is weak." "Actually Vernon is a pretty good football team." Which is it? This district is a toss up? Anyone can win on any given night. Nobody has clinched a playoff spot yet. It will come down to the last week before everything is settled.

I have no idea how you say Region I is weak either. Maby you should do some research before you pop off.

Hey Westcoast54, go back and read! I said "Region 1 is not weak". If your going to comback with an arguement at least get your facts straight. Show me where some other than Burburnett has either beaten or lost a close game to a quality 3A or above average 4A team. Vernon's schedule is probabley the next toughest but I was giving them credit for taking Burburnett to overtime. And as for talking out of both sides of my mouth, I merely slipped Vernon in thier above everyone else because I think they are a pretty good football team, but obviously I didn't explain myself clear enough. Sorry, I thought that most people on this board had a reading level higher than the 3rd grade. And in these four and five team districts it always comes down to the last week before anything is decided. As for reasearch, well I did some reasearch, thats why I challenge you to find me some teams in this district, besides Burkburnett who have some Quality wins over good teams, and don't even try convince me that some of those quality teams are good teams just because they have 5-3 or 6-2 records. Let me help you out with an example. Grahams win over Monohans would be considered a quality win.

westcoast54
10-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Hey Westcoast54, go back and read! I said "Region 1 is not weak". If your going to comback with an arguement at least get your facts straight. Show me where some other than Burburnett has either beaten or lost a close game to a quality 3A or above average 4A team. Vernon's schedule is probabley the next toughest but I was giving them credit for taking Burburnett to overtime. And as for talking out of both sides of my mouth, I merely slipped Vernon in thier above everyone else because I think they are a pretty good football team, but obviously I didn't explain myself clear enough. Sorry, I thought that most people on this board had a reading level higher than the 3rd grade. And in these four and five team districts it always comes down to the last week before anything is decided. As for reasearch, well I did some reasearch, thats why I challenge you to find me some teams in this district, besides Burkburnett who have some Quality wins over good teams, and don't even try convince me that some of those quality teams are good teams just because they have 5-3 or 6-2 records. Let me help you out with an example. Grahams win over Monohans would be considered a quality win.

My appologies, your right I didn't read it carefully. I have a college education so my reading level is a little higher than the 3rd grade, not much though. LOL!!! I just think this district takes alot of crap. All five teams are good. Yes Hirschi is still a little behind, but they are just as good as anoyone else. Take away fumbles and penalties against IP they beat them. Take away the lack of execution against Vernon and they win that one. Take away an IP tipped pass that fell into the arms of a Burk receiver in the endzone and they loose to IP 7-6. Burk also looses to Vernon if Vernon doesn't get tired in the 4th. I think who ever comes out of this district can get to at least the second round. After that who knows? Once again sorry about the first post.

Texasfootball2
10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
No problem Westcoast, I apologize for coming back a little strong. As far as the second round goes. Burkburnett will lock horns with Canyon. Who ever is the D2 second seed will probably get beat by Perryton. The D2 first seed will have a chance to beat Dalhart. I would give a slight edge to Canyon but it wouldn't suprise me if Burkbunett were to win.

The third round doesn't look very promising.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm going to go with Vernon 35 over Graham 21.
But a Graham win would not surprise me either.

RMAC
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
It's hard for me to pick against Graham now that they've won a game and are back in the playoff picture and I don't see them beating Burk, so I'll say Graham wins by a field goal or so. From what I heard, Graham spread the ball around very well last week, not going to McCoy too much, and I think that if they can do that, and have a decent game on the ground then they can pull off the upset in Vernon.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
I think both teams will score some points Friday. I will be out of town so I will not get to be at the game.

:(

gobbler grad
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Looks like the Lions take this one at home...:thinking:

MarginalTalent
11-02-2006, 12:19 AM
It's 9:45 p.m. The game's in OT. Third down from the Vernon 11. TD pass to Wright in the left corner. Graham 28 Vernon 24 F.

mchavez
11-02-2006, 12:36 AM
It's 9:45 p.m. The Graham side is empty! Vernon's student section is full of students waving their keys in the air, "Start the bus! Start the bus!" 1:00 left and Miller takes a kneel! Vernon 35 Graham 14 Final!!

GreenMonster
11-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by mchavez
"Start the bus! Start the bus!"

Is it possible to get bonus posts for showing extreme realism? If so than mchavez deserves at least 25 extras.

mchavez
11-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Awesome 25 pionts!! That was my favorite chant in high school!!

MarginalTalent
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Hmm. I think that's what Iowa Park was saying about this time last week.

MarginalTalent
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
35 points, mchavez? Not even. And that wasn't the Vernon QB kneeling as time expired. Good luck next week.

mchavez
11-04-2006, 03:54 AM
HAHA I'm eating my words now!! But Graham is O.K. in my book, they showed a great amount of respect after the game!! Dont like I've seen that much from a team before!!

RMAC
11-04-2006, 05:03 AM
Good job Graham!!! This pretty much means that the Steers are going to be out here in a few weeks, either that or around the area, meaning I'll get to see my team in the play-offs and possibly break the streak of 1 and done; who knows, like we all know, anything can happen in the play-offs, much less the season. Good win for Graham and good luck to Vernon, I'd like to see them make it in DII as well, and Lord willing, we'll all get to play again.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-05-2006, 01:28 AM
The Lions need help now. We will be pulling for the Steers to beat Burk and then we also have to beat IP. Even with a victory over the Hawks the Lions still need the help from Graham. Crazy.

Well glad Hardin-Simmons won. One more win for them and they make the NCAA dance. Maybe the Dallas Cowboys will win tomorrow and make me feel a little better.

VWG
11-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Isn't that like 6 wins in 7 years for Graham over Vernon?
That's crazy.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Isn't that like 6 wins in 7 years for Graham over Vernon?
That's crazy.

It is indeed. The Steers have our number.