PDA

View Full Version : 6 Teams Have Clinched - 90 spots still up for grabs

WOS87
10-28-2006, 02:29 PM
8 Teams Have Clinched - 85 Spots Still Up for Grabs
(there are only 93 total 3A playoff spots because of there being no District 2)

Statewide, the only teams that are definitely in are Monahans, Gilmer, Sweeny, Medina Valley, Devine, Gonzales, Raymondville and Port Isabel.

Gilmer and Gonzales are the only teams that are already locked in to a particular slot as they are guaranteed to be the Division I reps for Districts 15 and 29 respectively.

blackflag_74
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
gilmer is in...

WOS87
10-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Oops.... you're right... I hadn't taken into account that Mineola had already lost to both Gilmer and Gladewater

g$$
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Sweeny is in, win last Friday over Wharton guaranteed a playoff spot. Should win the district 7-0 with Columbus & Royal left.

Then go D2 & face someone from 23-3A (LaGrange??).

Needville, Wharton, & WC fighting it out for remaining spots.

Phil C
10-29-2006, 05:55 PM
How can Cuero not already be in? :confused:

g$$
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
There are a lot more than 6 in actually...

STANG RED
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Both Sweetwater and Wylie are in for district 7. Only the 3rd team is yet to be determined. Looks like Clyde has the inside track though, after beating Breck on Friday.
Breck has both Wylie and Sweetwater left to play, and Clyde only has Comanche left.

Gobbla2001
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

we have two games left to lose I guess?

wildstangs
10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Both Sweetwater and Wylie are in for district 7. Only the 3rd team is yet to be determined. Looks like Clyde has the inside track though, after beating Breck on Friday.
Breck has both Wylie and Sweetwater left to play, and Clyde only has Comanche left.

Third place could get REAL interesting if Comanche upsets Clyde and Wylie and Sweetwater both win out. That would leave Comanche, Clyde, and Breck all tied at 1-3.

STANG RED
10-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Third place could get REAL interesting if Comanche upsets Clyde and Wylie and Sweetwater both win out. That would leave Comanche, Clyde, and Breck all tied at 1-3.

Clyde would really have to shoot themselves in the foot to lose to Comanche. But stranger things have happened, so your right, it COULD get real intersting. I'm betting Clyde puts it on Comanche though.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Clyde would really have to shoot themselves in the foot to lose to Comanche. But stranger things have happened, so your right, it COULD get real intersting. I'm betting Clyde puts it on Comanche though.

Since the Stangs have already played both teams which one was better? Clyde or Comanche?

STANG RED
10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Since the Stangs have already played both teams which one was better? Clyde or Comanche?

Clyde by a long shot. Not that their great, but much better than Comanche IMO.

NDFootball
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Clyde by a long shot. Not that their great, but much better than Comanche IMO.

Poor Comanche:(

lol

Adidas410s
10-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Is Wylie not locked in to a playoff spot?

carter08
10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Don't question WOS87

WOS87
10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sweeny is in, win last Friday over Wharton guaranteed a playoff spot. Should win the district 7-0 with Columbus & Royal left.

Then go D2 & face someone from 23-3A (LaGrange??).

Needville, Wharton, & WC fighting it out for remaining spots.

Sweeny is in only if their district uses a head-to-head tiebreak system. Some districts still resort to coin flips if there is a 3-way or 4-way tie. Potentially there could be a 4-way tie for first in Sweeny's district.

lostaussie
10-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Sweeny is in only if their district uses a head-to-head tiebreak system. Some districts still resort to coin flips if there is a 3-way or 4-way tie. Potentially there could be a 4-way tie for first in Sweeny's district. WOS87, have I told you lately, that you are the smartest person I know!!!!!!

WOS87
10-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Sweetwater could be excluded if they end up in a 3-way tie for second with Breckenridge and Clyde. For that to happen Breckenridge would have to beat Sweetwater and Clyde beat Comanche. Thus between the 3 teams, Clyde would have beaten Breck, Breck would have been Sweetwater and Sweetwater would have beaten Clyde.

It would all depend on the tiebreak method used in the district at that point.

WOS87
10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

In ALL of these instances, it is extremely unlikely that your team won't make the playoffs but I'm talking about mathematical possibility. And in most cases it comes down to a tiebreak method which differs between each and every district.

Cuero could end up in a 3-way tie for second if they lose to Goliad and Gonzales, and if Goliad and Palacios both beat Yoakum. Cuero, Palacios and Goliad would all be 2-2 with Cuero beating Palacios, Palacios beating Goliad and Goliad beating Cuero. Who's the one that's left out?

WOS87
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Is Wylie not locked in to a playoff spot?

If Wylie loses to Breckenridge and Comanche, Comanche beats Clyde and Breckenridge beats Sweetwater:

Sweetwater and Breckenridge would tie for first with 3-1 records and Breck would be district champion. Wylie would be tied for 3rd with Comanche at 2-2 and would not go to the playoffs because Comanche would have beaten Wylie so Comanche would be 3rd and Wylie would be 4th.

Even if Breckenridge loses to Sweetwater and still beats Wylie, and if Comanche beats Wylie and Clyde, there would be a 3-way tie between Comanche, Breckenridge and Wylie. With Wylie having a loss to the two other teams it would be very likely they would be the team left out of the playoffs....

g$$
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Before the game:
SWEENY — The Sweeny Bulldogs weren’t supposed to contend for the District 24-3A crown.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football had them pegged to finish fourth in the district race. Somebody forgot to pass the word along to Sweeny.

With only nine returning starters from last season, Sweeny (5-2, 4-0) is sitting atop the district standings with three games to play, tied with Wharton (5-2, 4-0). The Bulldogs and Tigers will grapple at Tiger Stadium on Friday with a playoff spot going to the winner, as well as the upperhand for the 24-3A title.

“The winner, I think, gets in and the worst that can happen is lose the last two and tie for the tiebreaker,” Sweeny head coach Tommy Zajicek said. “We are glad to be here, and it should be a big night with both of us going in at 4-0. When you are in the thick of things, it isn’t hard to get the kids up — opposed to when you are not and trying to motivate the team. We’ve had a good week of practice and preparation and are hoping it carries over into the ball game.”

After the game:
Sweeny clinches playoff with dramatic win

By Anthony Maenza
The Facts

Published October 28, 2006

WHARTON — If kickers are supposed to be an insignificant part of football, don’t tell that to the Sweeny Bulldogs.

Sweeny kicker Tank Carder kicked a 42-yard field goal with five seconds left in regulation to tie the Wharton Tigers and then kicked an extra point in overtime to give the Bulldogs a 33-32 win in District 24-3A victory and a playoff berth.

The Bulldogs (6-2, 5-0) now have the inside track to the 24-3A crown.

Carder’s winning extra point came after he ran into the end zone from nine-yards out on the Bulldogs’ overtime possession.

The door was opened to the winning extra-point kick when Wharton missed its point-after attempt following quarterback Joel Ansley’s 11-yard touchdown run on the Tigers’ overtime possession.

The field goal by Carder to tie the game and send it into overtime came after Wharton drove 80 yards to take a 26-23 lead. Jamial Shelton, who caught three touchdown passes in the game for Wharton, gave the Tigers the lead with a three-yard run with 47 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

In the closing seconds, Sweeny drove to the Wharton 25-yard line, after starting at its own 35, to set up Carder’s tying field goal.

Carder used his legs for more than just kicking. The senior fullback rushed for 160 yards and two touchdowns. Fellow running back Brandon Smith rushed for 103 yards and a score as well.

Wharton got on the scoreboard first when Shelton caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Ansley with 10:11 left in the first quarter.

Sweeny bounced back later in the opening period when Carder broke loose on a 43-yard touchdown run with 2:13 left in the first. The play capped a 70-yard drive.

Josh Fields gave the Bulldogs the lead with 9:36 left in the second quarter when he plowed in from a yard out to cap a 42-yard drive. A two-point conversion run failed, leaving the Bulldogs up 13-7.

The score stayed that way until 9:04 remained in the third quarter and Carder kicked a 26-yard field goal to give Sweeny a 16-7 lead. The field goal came after Carder had missed a 32-yard attempt, but an offside penalty on Wharton gave him a second chance.

Shelton followed with a 22-yard touchdown reception with 3:50 remaining in the third and a 62-yard touchdown catch with 10:29 left in the fourth to give the Tigers a 20-16 lead.

Smith capped a 57-yard drive when he scored from six yards out with 5:32 left in the game to help give Sweeny a 23-20 lead. Carder caught a pass from quarterback Marsh Zajicek and took it down to the Wharton 6 on a fourth-and-5 play to set up the touchdown

WOS87
10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Since Sweeny has already beaten the other 3 playoff contenders (West Columbia, Needville and Wharton) they should be guaranteed a spot no matter what happens, but like I said, some districts have really kookie tiebreak methods and the rules have to be set before district play even begins so, in the case of a 4-way tie for first place what happens? It is definitely possible for Sweeny, WC, Needville and Wharton to all finish with 5-2 records.

Boosty_Hondo
10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
hondo is in already and the odds of them going D1 are very possible because pearsall is not going to beat crystal city i just dont seing it happen

g$$
10-29-2006, 09:02 PM
And Sweeny has head to head against all 3 (WC, Wharton, & Needville).

Then you go to point differentials for the remaining teams in contention against each other (+/-) to determine the other 2 spots (in the event of ties). The other 3 could all finish 5-2 no doubt.

Sweeny is in, period, & should win out in district anyway against Columbus & Royal. Gotta play the games though.

wimbo_pro
10-29-2006, 09:35 PM
WOS87...I tried to follow all you said...to understand all the facts...to comprehend the play off picture you lay out...my head hurts. Please...PLEASE just tell me...will we win it all???

WOS87
10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
hondo is in already and the odds of them going D1 are very possible because pearsall is not going to beat crystal city i just dont seing it happen

What would happen if Hondo lost to Devine and Carrizo Springs, and both Carrizo Springs and Crystal City beat Pearsall? Hondo, Carrizo Springs and Crystal City would be in a 3-way tie for 2nd all 2-2 with Carrizo Springs having beaten Hondo, Hondo beating Crystal City and Crystal City beating Carrizo Springs.

WOS87
10-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
WOS87...I tried to follow all you said...to understand all the facts...to comprehend the play off picture you lay out...my head hurts. Please...PLEASE just tell me...will we win it all???

wimbo_pro there is DEFINITELY a possibility that you will win it all

:crazy:

pirate4state
10-29-2006, 09:44 PM
What would happen if Hondo lost to Devine and Carrizo Springs, and both Carrizo Springs and Crystal City beat Pearsall? Hondo, Carrizo Springs and Crystal City would be in a 3-way tie for 2nd all 2-2 with Carrizo Springs having beaten Hondo, Hondo beating Crystal City and Crystal City beating Carrizo Springs. :confused: :confused: shhhhhhhh...my head hurts!! LOL!

I seriously doubt Hondo loses to Carrizo Springs, but stranger things have happened.

WOS87
10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:confused: :confused: shhhhhhhh...my head hurts!! LOL!

Amen to that!

Enough already.... I'll give you Gilmer and Sweeny as definitely in for now but that's it! It will all be much clearer one week from now.

:crazy1:

Boosty_Hondo
10-29-2006, 10:20 PM
What would happen if Hondo lost to Devine and Carrizo Springs, and both Carrizo Springs and Crystal City beat Pearsall? Hondo, Carrizo Springs and Crystal City would be in a 3-way tie for 2nd all 2-2 with Carrizo Springs having beaten Hondo, Hondo beating Crystal City and Crystal City beating Carrizo Springs.

yup ill jsut keep my mouth shut lol caue that is WAY to much thinking for me to do errr ima go watch football so i can feel smart again:)