PDA

View Full Version : I'll eat the crow three times...

Gobbla2001
10-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Congrats to Bellville and Gonzales for proving me wrong this week...

and the big one, congrats to 4A Calhoun for making the playoffs for the first time in FOURTY-FIVE FREAKING YEARS!!!... I've always taken the "it'll be a cold-day in hell" stand on that program...

I played jr. high ball there and after leaving there to go back to Cuero, Calhoun kinda became a joke to me... I've always made fun of 'em, they're always the butt of jokes around this area and I've contributed my fair share...

Deep down inside of me I've always wanted to see them have a good team, but I never thought it'd happen... but now, thanks to Coach Davenport working on making it a great football program over the past few years, the new Coach, an unbelievable fan-base for a town so not traditionally good at football and a good crop of kids who decided they'd change things, the Calhoun Sandcrabs are now 7-1 and have clinched a playoff spot...

Though I gotta eat some crow, I'm a pretty freakin' happy camper this morning...

Go Sandcrabs!!!

piratebg
10-28-2006, 07:58 AM
My uncle played for PLC in the late 80s or very early 90s. It is nice to finally see the guys come around. Now let's wait and see how they fair against Beeville, in week 10 I believe. It should be a great game.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2006, 09:04 AM
PLC is the second best team Sinton has played this year(cuero with no doubt best team they faced this year), Beeville will give them a game but PLC speed at QB and RB will be to much for them. If PLC defense has improved, they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. But Sinton moved the ball on them with no problem when they played them and turnovers by sinton stop long drives. They appeared like a bend but dont break defense. Against GP they didnt bend at all :D

3afan
10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
cool, hope PLC makes a nice playoff run ...

sinton66
10-28-2006, 09:48 AM
G-P likes to convince everyone who will listen that they are a powerhouse. Traditionally, they are, but not this year. Lowly Sinton managed a shut out over them too before suffering so many injuries.

Beeville is a good program, and Sosa has them playing well. I too, don't think they can beat Calhoun. It is quite possible the Sandcrabs' defense has finally come around. (Bear in mind though, G-P still runs the wing-t as does Beeville, and learning under Davenport, the Sandcrabs should know how to defend it.)They held G-P to two first downs, and those didn't come until late in the fourth quarter. 30 total yards of offense for G-P speaks well of Calhoun's defense.

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 10:17 AM
The advantage Beeville has is that we can actually pass. Our Sophomore QB has over 1200 yards and 13 TDs on the season so far. PLC might be able to stuff the Wing-T, but we've been running a good percentage of plays from the gun, so that should keep them off balance. Another quark that works to our advantage is that we've already seen the triple option offense (albeit ran by Miller) and did a decent job of stopping it. Honestly, I think it'll be a shootout, and whoever makes a couple of defensive stops will come out on top. We'll learn more after next week, but the most important thing right now is prepping for Moody.

sinton66
10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Calhoun's speed won't look anything like Miller's.

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I heard they hold on to the ball too. :p

Then again, our offense isn't G-P's. ;)

sinton66
10-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I heard they hold on to the ball too. :p

Then again, our offense isn't G-P's. ;)

I think your best chance of beating them is to develop a "stretcher" pass. The long ball in full stride just might work.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Beeville fans get there early, otherwise PLC fans will start filling in on the Visitor side. two more weeks.

pirate4state
10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
G-P likes to convince everyone who will listen that they are a powerhouse. Traditionally, they are, but not this year. Lowly Sinton managed a shut out over them too before suffering so many injuries.

Beeville is a good program, and Sosa has them playing well. I too, don't think they can beat Calhoun. It is quite possible the Sandcrabs' defense has finally come around. (Bear in mind though, G-P still runs the wing-t as does Beeville, and learning under Davenport, the Sandcrabs should know how to defend it.)They held G-P to two first downs, and those didn't come until late in the fourth quarter. 30 total yards of offense for G-P speaks well of Calhoun's defense. and/or how bad GP really is. :o

oh and YES - BIG CONGRATS TO PLC!!! :clap: :clap:

AggieJohn
10-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Calhoun's speed won't look anything like Miller's. i have that game too on the chains......

piratebg
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i have that game too on the chains......

Good luck. Hopefully you skills with the chains will improve after your disappointing showing in Portland. :evillol: :evilgrin: :rolleyes:

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i have that game too on the chains......

I still have the middle Transformer that's in your sig. I knew he was part of a bigger Bot, but wasn't sure which. :cool:

Gobbla2001
10-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Can't see a win for Calhoun against Calallen... see a closer game than expected though...

only thing I hope doesn't bite 'em is they may be a tad too one-demensional on offense... but we'll see...

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
PLC has a big target at receiver (Boone, I believe?) who hasn't seen many touches thanks to their run game. Guess you don't need to pass if you can consistently make first downs on the ground. Lack of touches won't help him much if he's called on to make receptions in a big game though. I'm thinking PLC will come out trying to throw the ball at us on the 10th. They'd better. We put 9 in the box against G-P and Miller. I'm sure they'll prepare for similar.

stxfootballfan
10-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Who is PLCs new coach?

sinton66
10-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Can't see a win for Calhoun against Calallen... see a closer game than expected though...

only thing I hope doesn't bite 'em is they may be a tad too one-demensional on offense... but we'll see...

I don't know if I'd be making any bets on that one.

Gobbla2001
10-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know if I'd be making any bets on that one.

yah, me either... I mean hell, they are 7-1 and not a damn one of us expected that one...

I can see them upsetting Calallen maybe, but I gotta be realistic and say they couldn't beat 'em 3 out of 5 times or anything...

but I didn't think they'd be 7-1 and in the playoffs right now either...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2006, 04:20 PM
If PLC defense improved and plays like they did against GP then they could make a big run in the playoffs. BUT GP offense is not so hard to stop.

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
Who is PLCs new coach?

Richard Whitaker, formerly of Kingsville. His son, a junior, plays cornerback and get a few touches in the offensive backfield from time to time.

Gobbla2001
10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
If PLC defense improved and plays like they did against GP then they could make a big run in the playoffs. BUT GP offense is not so hard to stop.

that's the thing, not a good measuring stick if you base their D on the GP game... but a very good defense for sure...

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin

They gave up big points and yards passing to Moody. Their defense allowed three big plays for scores. If our QB catches them on their heels, you can bet he'll go deep.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
They gave up big points and yards passing to Moody. Their defense allowed three big plays for scores. If our QB catches them on their heels, you can bet he'll go deep.

GP is the only game PLC defense has step it up. Was it GP offense or was it they have improved drastically on defense? :) Soza saw what Sinton did to move the ball on them, Shotgun formation with runs and some passes mixed in. But the real challenge will be can Beeville stop PLC offense from putting up 30+ points.

sinton66
10-28-2006, 04:33 PM
yah, me either... I mean hell, they are 7-1 and not a damn one of us expected that one...

I can see them upsetting Calallen maybe, but I gotta be realistic and say they couldn't beat 'em 3 out of 5 times or anything...

but I didn't think they'd be 7-1 and in the playoffs right now either...

I didn't think they could beat Sinton or Ingleside either, but they did.;)

Gobbla2001
10-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I didn't think they could beat Sinton or Ingleside either, but they did.;)

they put up a lot more points than I expected in those two games against pretty good defenses...

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Beeville needs to go in healthy, which is a luxury neither Sinton or Ingleside had when they faced PLC.

sinton66
10-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Beeville needs to go in healthy, which is a luxury neither Sinton or Ingleside had when they faced PLC.

That's true enough. Both were banged up. How are the Trojans injury-wise?

Blastoderm55
10-28-2006, 04:45 PM
A little banged up from the G-P game, but nothing that major. Need to put up some points quick against Moody so that those nursing injuries can get some well-deserved rest.

GOFOR2
10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Congrats to Bellville and Gonzales for proving me wrong this week...

and the big one, congrats to 4A Calhoun for making the playoffs for the first time in FOURTY-FIVE FREAKING YEARS!!!... I've always taken the "it'll be a cold-day in hell" stand on that program...

I played jr. high ball there and after leaving there to go back to Cuero, Calhoun kinda became a joke to me... I've always made fun of 'em, they're always the butt of jokes around this area and I've contributed my fair share...

Deep down inside of me I've always wanted to see them have a good team, but I never thought it'd happen... but now, thanks to Coach Davenport working on making it a great football program over the past few years, the new Coach, an unbelievable fan-base for a town so not traditionally good at football and a good crop of kids who decided they'd change things, the Calhoun Sandcrabs are now 7-1 and have clinched a playoff spot...

Though I gotta eat some crow, I'm a pretty freakin' happy camper this morning...

Go Sandcrabs!!!

Port Lavaca doesnt even run the same boring offense Davenport had in place in his stint.

super1
10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I grew up in PL and played there in the mid '70s. We had a chance to be 6-4 my Sr. year but lost the last game and wound up 5-5. PL has been LONG suffering on the football field with a few bright spots once in a blue moon. I am very excited for the ol' home town and I know they must be salivating all over themselves. They finally have a better reason to show up at the football field than to watch the band and the Sandette drill team.

GO CRABS GO!!