PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny 33 Wharton 32 Final OT

wedo
10-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Great game! Tigers played hard!!!

Man who is Tank Carder from sweeny??? This kid is a freakin ball player!! Tank Carder starting fb/lb/K scored twice and kick 47 yard fg to send the game to ot with 5 sec. left in the 4th

awizzy
10-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Great game! Tigers played hard!!!

Man who is Tank Carder from sweeny??? This kid is a freakin ball player!! Tank Carder starting fb/lb/K scored twice and kick 47 yard fg to send the game to ot with 5 sec. left in the 4th

wow what a game wish i would have went there...ya hes a player all right he scored all 17 points when we played them

Tiger3
10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Well not to take anything away from Sweeny but Wharton did a bad job of time management at the end of the regulation.

wedo
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Tiger3
Well not to take anything away from Sweeny but Wharton did a bad job of time management at the end of the regulation.

Bad time management? They were trying to run the clock down so Sweeny didn't have time to drive and tie it or go ahead just like they did! I thought! My only thought would be scoring on the first and goal! That might have made a diff. But you can't pass up the oppurtunity with the go ahead score IMO!

Tiger3
10-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Im talking about the fact that we snapped the ball with about 17 or 18 seconds left on the play clock and 52 seconds on the game clock instead of snapping with 5 seconds left and leave Sweeny with 32 seconds or so left in the game instead of 47 seconds.

Pudlugger
10-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Sounds like one heck of a football game. Congratulations to Sweeny. It looks like there is an excellent chance the Leps and sweeny will meet in round one. Good luck the rest of the way in D24.

wedo
10-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Im talking about the fact that we snapped the ball with about 17 or 18 seconds left on the play clock and 52 seconds on the game clock instead of snapping with 5 seconds left and leave Sweeny with 32 seconds or so left in the game.

Right before wharton scored there was an officals timeout so the clock had stopped. But after they scored there was 1 min exactly!

Tiger3
10-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah my bad I forgot about the official timeout. Wharton needs to find a kicker.

Antec
10-28-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports.shtml

g$$
10-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Great game both ways. HS football at its finest.

I told y'all Tank Carder was the real deal. Kid scored 21 of the 33 points for Sweeny & plays both ways, kicks, & punts! 42 yarder to send game into OT w/ 5 seconds left, 160 yds. rushing, big 4th down catch for a 1st down to set up another TD, solid LB play, an interception - just a player in all facets of the game & his motor never quits. Total team effort by the Dogs & gutsy job by QB Marsh Zajicek battling shoulder injury all year & re-injured Friday night. Very steady qb who makes few mistakes. Congrats to players & coaches on a big win. Coach Z & staff have revived the program in Sweeny after making the playoffs last year in his 1st year back at the helm & now leading the district in 2006.

Tank's D1 status continues to rise. Don't know where he is going yet, but he has choices. And the list is growing.

Ansley from Wharton is a heckuva player too. Pretty slick with the ball & good runner too. Shelton is explosive too. Wharton has some athletes. Good luck rest of the way.

g$$
10-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Sweeny clinches playoff with dramatic win

By Anthony Maenza
The Facts

Published October 28, 2006

WHARTON — If kickers are supposed to be an insignificant part of football, don’t tell that to the Sweeny Bulldogs.

Sweeny kicker Tank Carder kicked a 42-yard field goal with five seconds left in regulation to tie the Wharton Tigers and then kicked an extra point in overtime to give the Bulldogs a 33-32 win in District 24-3A victory and a playoff berth.

The Bulldogs (6-2, 5-0) now have the inside track to the 24-3A crown.

Carder’s winning extra point came after he ran into the end zone from nine-yards out on the Bulldogs’ overtime possession.

The door was opened to the winning extra-point kick when Wharton missed its point-after attempt following quarterback Joel Ansley’s 11-yard touchdown run on the Tigers’ overtime possession.

The field goal by Carder to tie the game and send it into overtime came after Wharton drove 80 yards to take a 26-23 lead. Jamial Shelton, who caught three touchdown passes in the game for Wharton, gave the Tigers the lead with a three-yard run with 47 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

In the closing seconds, Sweeny drove to the Wharton 25-yard line, after starting at its own 35, to set up Carder’s tying field goal.

Carder used his legs for more than just kicking. The senior fullback rushed for 160 yards and two touchdowns. Fellow running back Brandon Smith rushed for 103 yards and a score as well.

Wharton got on the scoreboard first when Shelton caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Ansley with 10:11 left in the first quarter.

Sweeny bounced back later in the opening period when Carder broke loose on a 43-yard touchdown run with 2:13 left in the first. The play capped a 70-yard drive.

Josh Fields gave the Bulldogs the lead with 9:36 left in the second quarter when he plowed in from a yard out to cap a 42-yard drive. A two-point conversion run failed, leaving the Bulldogs up 13-7.

The score stayed that way until 9:04 remained in the third quarter and Carder kicked a 26-yard field goal to give Sweeny a 16-7 lead. The field goal came after Carder had missed a 32-yard attempt, but an offside penalty on Wharton gave him a second chance.

Shelton followed with a 22-yard touchdown reception with 3:50 remaining in the third and a 62-yard touchdown catch with 10:29 left in the fourth to give the Tigers a 20-16 lead.

Smith capped a 57-yard drive when he scored from six yards out with 5:32 left in the game to help give Sweeny a 23-20 lead. Carder caught a pass from quarterback Marsh Zajicek and took it down to the Wharton 6 on a fourth-and-5 play to set up the touchdown.

wedo
10-28-2006, 08:19 AM
IMO wharton had way more speed than Sweeny!! Sweeny could not keep up with any of the recievers from Wharton! Even though Sweeny gave up some big plays i liked thier scheme on Defense! They weren't going to let Ansley beat them with his legs they were going to make him beat them passing, which is something he hasn't really done all year!! They blitzed him all night trying to get him to make a mistake, which he had a guy in his face alot last night! But he didn't make a mistake he capatilized on the man coverage that sweeny was giving Shelton several times!!

I was really impressed by Tank Carder!! He sure is D1 talent i tell you that!! I don't know who is looking at him, but this kid could play big time at like Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State Etc......

You know you were born to play football when your name is Tank!!!

Tiger3
10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I argree Wedo, if Wharton finds a kicker they will win these close ball games. Too many points left on the board. But I have to take my hat off to Sweeny they played a heck of a game and never gave up.

wedo
10-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I argree Wedo, if Wharton finds a kicker they will win these close ball games. Too many points left on the board. But I have to take my hat off to Sweeny they played a heck of a game and never gave up.

The two missed extra points did hurt Wharton! but if Sweeny would have made all of their extra points Wharton never only goes up by two and sweeny wins with Tank's 42 yard field goal !! And i think he missed a field goal also! IN the end it was the deciding factor but it went both ways!! The only thing IMO that really kills Wharton by not having a kicker is on the Kickoff ! They don't have a kicker that can kick it deep, and they give up alot of field position IMO !!! Look at the stats and you will notice the yards of Sweeny's scoring drives compared to Wharton's!!

3&2count
10-28-2006, 09:25 AM
A huge play in the game was actually a penalty. Sweeny missed a field goal but Wharton was off-sides. Sweeny got another chance and they made it.

wedo
10-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 3&2count
A huge play in the game was actually a penalty. Sweeny missed a field goal but Wharton was off-sides. Sweeny got another chance and they made it.

Thats true!! No disrespect at all but IMO it came down to the field position! If we make sweeny go 75-80 on an average for thier drives i think Wharton wins!!

Tiger3
10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Yall all make good points and I agree Wedo, I have been saying the same thing all year. It is also the coverage on kickoffs. It is like Wharton jogs down and lets them get a return instead of running full speed and making the guy fair catch that little pooch kick at the 25 or 30 yard line. Then teams have to drive 70 or more yards instead of the usual field position Wharton gives them were they only have to go 40 to 50 yards.

wedo
10-28-2006, 10:44 AM
on another note has long has Tank stays healthy sweeny could make a good run!! I think they match up well against Bellville !!

wharton needs to forget about this lost, it happened already nothing we can do about it !! Need to focus on Columbus and Neddville , so we can have some momentum going into the playoffs if they want to stick with Giddings!! This lost can't result in the loss of the season!! Guys keep your head up!!

Tiger3
10-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Very good point Wharton needs to win out so there arent any tie breakers and build momentum for the playoffs. I think the Tigers will be ok, they have shown a lot of heart this season and have never given up.

g$$
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Good luck Wharton. Beat Needmore - I mean Needville - & represent well in the playoffs.

Y'all have a fine team & lots of speed. If the kicking game improves, look out.

fireman1
10-28-2006, 12:19 PM
if Wharton wins out i think they would have the momentum to at least win the first round of the playoffs, but they HAVE to work on their kicking game and stop the players before they cross the 50. for some reason they jog down and no one makes the play

g$$
10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
D1 Bellville / WC or Needville

D2 Giddings #1 / Wharton #2
La Grange #2 / Sweeny #1

That's the way it looks now. Seed D2, so that would put Sweeny vs. #2 seed LaGrange, & Wharton vs. #1 seed Giddings (state ranked top 5 & unbeaten). Getting out of 1st round will be tough for everyone.

wedo
10-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Getting out of 1st round will be tough for everyone.

Um yeah!! 23 3a is really strong! Some say 23 3a could have two state champions!

Uncle Buck
10-28-2006, 10:25 PM
You guys are right to give Tank alot of Credit. He played his butt off.

But you guys have a kid named Shelton that had 24 of your points. He is one of the Best Highschool reciever's I have ever seen.

3 TD receptions and 1 Rushing Touchdown.

Lets not mention Ansley.....................or should I say Little Vince. Wow.

With that said.....It was a great TEAM effort on both sides. It was a Great Football Game no matter who won. Games like that are the reason we all Coach.

Good luck to the Tigers.

maestro
10-29-2006, 08:10 AM
i'm waiting to read red raider 2000's take on this exciting game.

raider red 2000
10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by maestro
i'm waiting to read red raider 2000's take on this exciting game.

what a great game of HS football. very few errors by both teams. i dont recall the exact number of penalties...but very few. 1 turnover each....both INT's very late in teh first half....1 by Tank, 1 by Jamial Shelton.

hats off to Sweeny players and coaches. great job.

Tank is the real deal.

Buck- good luck to yall the rest of the way.

TIGERS- great effort. the fight in this group of kids is as good or better than I have ever seen.

wedo
10-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Buck
You guys are right to give Tank alot of Credit. He played his butt off.

But you guys have a kid named Shelton that had 24 of your points. He is one of the Best Highschool reciever's I have ever seen.

3 TD receptions and 1 Rushing Touchdown.

Lets not mention Ansley.....................or should I say Little Vince. Wow.

With that said.....It was a great TEAM effort on both sides. It was a Great Football Game no matter who won. Games like that are the reason we all Coach.

Good luck to the Tigers.

Nobody is talking down!! Or at least im not! I see shelton play every week and i expect him to play like that! When i see a kid that ive never seen play before and he as a game like Tank did , then i'll talk about him like i did tank!!!

g$$
10-29-2006, 12:10 PM
BUCK:

You are right. Obviously I gave Tank credit for playing so well, but so did Ansley & Shelton too (I said so earlier in thread). What a game! And everyone knows football is the ultimate team game anyway. Individual accolades do not come without teammates doing their part too.

Great job to both teams/staffs & good luck in the coming weeks. Friday night was a treat for us all.