PDA

View Full Version : Some Scoring History in football.

Phil C
10-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Football is slow to change (Especially Division 1 football)considering how long it took before the BCS came into being but even then it is not a real playoff system which we won't see in Division 1 football for many years to come.
Basically by 1912 the points were mostly established with six points being a td, two points for a safety, three points for a field goal. Extra points counted only one point for the scoring team which could be obtained by kicking the ball between the cross bars or running and passing the ball over the goal line. This was just a bonus for a team that scored a td to possible help eliminate ties.
In 1958 (56 years later) the rules on points after tds was changed where the scoring team had the option of going for two points on a run or pass play. The kick remained at 1 point but the defensive team still could not score.
In 1988 a rule gave the defensive team on the extra point try the ability for returning a blocked kick or intercepted pass to the opponents' end zone for 2 points. In 1992 this was extended to include include a fumble return from any spot outside the end zone.
In the mid 90s ties were basically eliminated by OverTime periods to be used after the normal 4 quarters of play.

CenTexSports
10-27-2006, 11:50 AM
The rule that allows the defense to score on a try is the stupidest rule in football. And even worse, it makes the officials run 100 yards. How stupid is that?

STANG RED
10-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
The rule that allows the defense to score on a try is the stupidest rule in football. And even worse, it makes the officials run 100 yards. How stupid is that?

I think it's a great rule! The defense SHOULD be able to get a reward for making a great play. Besides, how often do you really even see it happen? Very seldom.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2006, 12:20 PM
I think when attempting a PAT the coach of the attempting team should be allowed to throw a flag on the ground before the play (kinda like a review), this flag represents the coach wants the PAT to count as an additional six points... if the PAT is missed, the original TD is whiped away...

How many coaches would get roasted and fired over this one?

bwahahahaha

wimbo_pro
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
How about this Gobbla....If the extra point is missed, the attempting teams cheerleaders must flash the crowd. This will bring new enthusiasm for the chant "Block That Kick!"

Gobbla2001
10-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
How about this Gobbla....If the extra point is missed, the attempting teams cheerleaders must flash the crowd. This will bring new enthusiasm for the chant "Block That Kick!"

haha...

GATAPride77
10-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Just to add a little to Phil's post:

Coaches make the rules and thru history the "option" has been a staple play in college ball. In 92 the rule was changed to allow the defense to advance a fumble from anywhere on the field but they could not advance a backward pass. The reason was to make it less risky to run the option, you may turn the ball over on a loose backward pass but the defense could not advance it. In 98 or 99 ?? the rule was again changed to allow any fumble or muffed backward pass to be advanced by the defense.

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think when attempting a PAT the coach of the attempting team should be allowed to throw a flag on the ground before the play (kinda like a review), this flag represents the coach wants the PAT to count as an additional six points... if the PAT is missed, the original TD is whiped away...

How many coaches would get roasted and fired over this one?

bwahahahaha

haha...great idea! Then we would have replays over whether or not the flag was thrown in time! ;)

coiled2strike
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
My longest interception return was 103 yards on a 2-pt conv...lol
I caught a cramp about the 10 and hobbled across...very funny on film saturday morning, since we won

Phil C
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
It adds interest but that is one thing I am old fashioned on. I think extra points should only be awarded to the team that just scored a td. It is sort of a bonus to them in the older days and I still preferred that. But not that I object to the chance by a large amount though.