PDA

View Full Version : heading back to college station, i think.....

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
been spending the last few days in thought about this....but i think that we're moving back to college station this summer to start Grad school at A&M. I'm going to pursue a M.S. in Education Administration.

Couple of things have to happen first.

1. Have to graduate in may

Have to be recomended for student teaching
Have to do student teaching
Have too do the other two classes on top of student teaching
Have to get all my grades together in a 24 hour period before I get to walk the stage

2. Wife and I have to get a job in one of the area school districts:

College Station ISD
Bryan ISD
Hearne
Cameron ISD
Private Schools (Allen, Brazos Christian)

3. Have to wait a mandatory 2 year period before you can actually apply for admission in the program.

Old Tiger
10-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Good luck

Phil C
10-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm a Horns fan Aggiejohn but I hope everything works out well for you in getting this. Good luck.

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
i would recommend teaching a little bit before pursuing the education administration masters. The teaching experience will be valuable when it comes to pursuing the masters. The things talked about in the classes will make much more sense.

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm a Horns fan Aggiejohn but I hope everything works out well for you in getting this. Good luck.

you have to wait two years before you can apply to the program where as here in corpus you don't have to wait at all.

however, I know that I want this master's degree and I want that AGGIE degree

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i would recommend teaching a little bit before pursuing the education administration masters. The teaching experience will be valuable when it comes to pursuing the masters. The things talked about in the classes will make much more sense. part of the reason that you have too wait two years before you apply

piratebg
10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Living in the Bluff isn't that bad, is it?

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Knowledge of many facets of the classroom and education in general is VERY important when you begin taking Administration courses. The hands on experiences you will get in the classroom over the next couple of years will prepare you for the courses you will take since you will be able to use those life and work experiences as a referance and tool when taking the courses.

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
part of the reason that you have too wait two years before you apply

and I would do this instead of starting somewhere else earlier...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
been spending the last few days in thought about this....but i think that we're moving back to college station this summer to start Grad school at A&M. I'm going to pursue a M.S. in Education Administration.

Have to get all my grades together in a 24 hour period before I get to walk the stage

College Station ISD
Bryan ISD
Hearne
Cameron ISD

3. Have to wait a mandatory 2 year period before you can actually apply for admission in the program.

You should look into Caldwell ISD, it's closer than Cameron and the same distance away as Hearne. Also, Rockdale is just as close as Cameron is to CS. Hope everything turns out well for you.

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
i know a principal at Rockdale...

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
and I want that AGGIE degree

poor guy...:(

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
poor guy...:( well at least my screenname wasn't techtardjohn

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
and I would do this instead of starting somewhere else earlier... yeah, that's why I figure being there for two years and getting experience, then stilll teaching while I go to school at night will garner even more experience. I'll probably have about 5 or more years of experience by the time I finish that masters degree. I'm not going to get a AP job until i'm at least 30 so I'll still have to work in the classroom for 7 or 8 years before I get a chance.

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
the saddest part is the more and more schools are being structured to pass TAKS, the less desireable it is to be in administration. Higher admins are more concerned about not only passing TAKS, but MASTERING TAKS, then they are concerned about allowing teachers and principals to help form these young men and women into productive citizens.

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
well at least my screenname wasn't techtardjohn

or how about something NOT related to the college that you went to. Some people do grow up and move on past college. Most of those just happened to not attend A&M! ;)

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:34 AM
or how about something NOT related to the college that you went to. Some people do grow up and move on past college. Most of those just happened to not attend A&M! ;) eh, hush, put together the picks of the week

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
eh, hush, put together the picks of the week
once they are turned in then I will...we're still missing them from quite a few teams. I think I'll take a long lunch today though to give everybody a few minute extension...I normally do that anyways though! ;)

3afan
10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
you have to wait two years before you can apply to the program where as here in corpus you don't have to wait at all.

however, I know that I want this master's degree and I want that AGGIE degree

IMO - a degree, from aTm, UT, SFA, LeTourneau, St. Ed's, name-you-school, is as good as the effort you put into getting it and the extra you are willing to do. I interview and hire college grads and the actual school is not that big of a deal. hell, they'll learn more their first 6 months on the job than they did getting the degree. its the summer experience, the clubs/associations they actively participate in (not frats/sors), and the GRADES that matter - not the school

thats corporate hiring reality, at least at my company, and we're one of the Big 3 government contractors with 90K employees.

CHS_CG
10-27-2006, 09:42 AM

College Station ISD
Bryan ISD
Hearne
Cameron ISD

pretty sure Caldwell could always use teachers.. might try our school.

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
IMO - a degree, from aTm, UT, SFA, LeTourneau, St. Ed's, name-you-school, is as good as the effort you put into getting it and the extra you are willing to do. I interview and hire college grads and the actual school is not that big of a deal. hell, they'll learn more their first 6 months on the job than they did getting the degree. its the summer experience, the clubs/associations they actively participate in (not frats/sors), and the GRADES that matter - not the school

thats corporate hiring reality, at least at my company, and we're one of the Big 3 government contractors with 90K employees. i realize i can do the same with a degree from A&M that i can from A&M-CC, however, I left A&M to come down here for my wife and she supports my dream of getting that degree from their. It's not like I think that a degree from A&M is going to do that much difference in my sector of life, it just my personal desire to have a degree from A&M, and us not having attachments and being able to move up there and do that.

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
pretty sure Caldwell could always use teachers.. might try our school. i meant to put caldwell down
their in my "potentials" folder right now

Snyder_TigerFan
10-27-2006, 09:47 AM
the saddest part is the more and more schools are being structured to pass TAKS, the less desireable it is to be in administration. Higher admins are more concerned about not only passing TAKS, but MASTERING TAKS, then they are concerned about allowing teachers and principals to help form these young men and women into productive citizens.

I think something needs to be done about this. There is way to much emphasis being put on these tests. IMO, students with "special" needs are not getting the attention they need because of it. From my observation, anyway.

Are there bonuses passed out among the admin if their schools master the TAKS? What is the driving force?

3afan
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
i realize i can do the same with a degree from A&M that i can from A&M-CC, however, I left A&M to come down here for my wife and she supports my dream of getting that degree from their. It's not like I think that a degree from A&M is going to do that much difference in my sector of life, it just my personal desire to have a degree from A&M, and us not having attachments and being able to move up there and do that.

cool ...........

by the way, I think you want to "get that degree from there" not "get that degree from their" :D

3afan
10-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I think something needs to be done about this. There is way to much emphasis being put on these tests. IMO, students with "special" needs are not getting the attention they need because of it. From my observation, anyway.

Are there bonuses passed out among the admin if their schools master the TAKS? What is the driving force?

so do something !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Snyder_TigerFan
10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
so do something !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

...how do you know that I'm not?:devil: :mad:

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 09:57 AM
as long as the pressure is there from the State it will be the same. Kids arent learning the life lessons we learned in school. They are either learning Taks or learning that it DOESNT matter what they do or say or how disrespectful they are or how lazy or disorganized they are because parents will pull the ADD or ADHD card.

"Oh, he just called you an a#$hole because of his ADD. He is just so unorganized but we cant blame him for it, its his ADD. " I even had a parent conference with a parent whose child is sleeping EVERYDAY in class and that was blamed on the ADD. Makes no sense to me.

BUT.......

They can answer some freaking TAKS questions and know the objectives by heart!

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
cool ...........

by the way, I think you want to "get that degree from there" not "get that degree from their" :D stupid technicality........i know, i can't spell, thank heavens for spellcheck on official stuff...

3afan
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
stupid technicality........i know, i can't spell, thank heavens for spellcheck on official stuff...

not stupid on a resume' !!!!!

bulldogman06
10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
it will be good to have you up here AggieJohn

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
not stupid on a resume' !!!!! i don't need to resume anything.....

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
stupid technicality........i know, i can't spell, thank heavens for spellcheck on official stuff...

sure hope they don't ask ya for a handwriting sample! ;)

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:03 AM
sure hope they don't ask ya for a handwriting sample! ;) i have girlish handwriting

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:03 AM
get you some of this...

in my World Geography class I do not make them keep a formal notebook. They do though have to keep some papers. Anything that I hand back out to them that has a star at the top of the paper HAS TO BE KEPT until the end of the six weeks. This is all tests, quizes, some handouts, etc.

Not that hard right? Dont make them keep it in any order. Dont make them keep the papers all nice and wrinkle free. They just have to keep the papers in their folder or a notebook. I dont even care if its a notebook they use in other classes.

Got an email from a parent that told me that asking her ADD child to do this was like me assigning a blind person to draw a self portrait of themselves. She said her child and all others with ADD didn't have the neurological make up to be able to do that.

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
get you some of this...

in my World Geography class I do not make them keep a formal notebook. They do though have to keep some papers. Anything that I hand back out to them that has a star at teh top of the paper HAS TO BE KEPT until the end of the six weeks. This is all tests, quizes, some handouts, etc.

Not that hard right? Dont make them keep it in any order. Dont make them keep the papers all nice and wrinkle free. They just have to keep the papers in their folder or a notebook. I dont even care if its a notebook they use in other classes.

Got an email from a parent that told me that asking her ADD child to do this was like me assigning a blind person to draw a self portrait of themselves. She said her child and all others with ADD didn't have the neurological make up to be able to do that.
I don't believe ADD exists....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
i know a principal at Rockdale...

Which one?

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM

you better think it exists if you want to be in admin. lol

kaorder1999
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Which one?

new one...Debra Lynn...shes actually in control of curriculum now I believe

DaHop72
I don't believe ADD exists.... We'll see if you stand by this statement when you start to teach.:rolleyes:

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:06 AM
you better think it exists if you want to be in admin. lol i know, i have a long rationale behind it, but it basically boils down to parenting.....professionally I'll agree with the idea that it exist, but personally I don't

i know, i'm a headcase

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
im with you though...I believe ADD is the MOST over diagnosed illness in the history of the free world. When parents were punishing their kids for not acting right and teachers and admin istrators were allowed to put the board on their butts ADD wasn't as big of an issue.

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
We'll see if you stand by this statement when you start to teach.:rolleyes: i'm teaching now

Snyder_TigerFan
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
That's crazy ka. I have respect for teachers that have to put up with parents like that. ADD has turned into the easy excuse not to buckle down on a kid.

BTW, by "special" needs, I didn't necessarily mean kids with ADD. I meant it more towards kids with learning disabilities such as dyslexia.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-27-2006, 10:09 AM

I do. Some days, I will be sitting in my room, studying, and I'll look outside and see something and lose focus for about 10 minutes.

handNthedirt
10-27-2006, 10:09 AM
and youre still pursuing a career in it?

DaHop72
10-27-2006, 10:10 AM
i'm teaching now You just started though. Alot of people use it for an excuse, but hang around and you will see alot of grade school kids with textbook ADD.

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I had a kid get in my face two days ago and tell me I couldn't make him do anything and there was nothing I could do about it. He DEMANDED I send him to the office.

He got two lunch detentions from the office....

"Coach, you just have to understand Johnny Boy, his ADHD causing him to do some weird stuff" I was told

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I do. Some days, I will be sitting in my room, studying, and I'll look outside and see something and lose focus for about 10 minutes. that's just losing focus.....

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You just started though. Alot of people use it for an excuse, but hang around and you will see alot of grade school kids with textbook ADD.

you've hit the nail on the head...a lot of grade school kids who run their house at home and mommy and daddy allow it!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
that's just losing focus.....

Really??????

AggieJohn
I had a kid get in my face two days ago and tell me I couldn't make him do anything and there was nothing I could do about it. He DEMANDED I send him to the office.

"Coach, you just have to understand Johnny Boy, his ADHD causing him to do some weird stuff" I was told and i would say ADHD has nothing to do with that....that's just an inability to respect authority

handNthedirt
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM
I taught for several years and I firmly believe that education in texas is the absolute worst profession to be in...partly because of our governor, and I don't know which is worse nowadays, the parents or the administrators. The parents don't really give a damn for the most part, and all the administration is concerned with is the kids state test scores. Honestly, I'd rather jerk off a wounded cougar with a handful of tacks than be back in a high school educational system. Best of luck, dude.

bulldogman06

"Coach, you just have to understand Johnny Boy, his ADHD causing him to do some weird stuff" I was told

That is a bunch of crap. my dad woulda took the belt to me if I: #1 demanded anything from a coach/teacher, #2 got in a coach/teachers face, and #3 asked to be sent to the office. I didnt turn out too bad if you ask me. why dont parents discipline anymore? thats why society is so crappy nowadays.

kaorder1999
and i would say ADHD has nothing to do with that....that's just an inability to respect authority

you would think so huh? Not anymore! ADHD is an EXCUSE FOR ANY WRONGDOINGS A CHILD DOES.

Sooner or later they will be given an ID card with it on there and if they get pulled over for speeding it will be excused because of their "illness"

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I taught for several years and I firmly believe that education in texas is the absolute worst profession to be in...partly because of our governor, and I don't know which is worse nowadays, the parents or the administrators. The parents don't really give a damn for the most part, and all the administration is concerned with is the kids state test scores. Honestly, I'd rather jerk off a wounded cougar with a handful of tacks than be back in a high school educational system. Best of luck, dude.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

kaorder1999
10-27-2006, 10:16 AM
im not in a position to say because #1 I dont have kids and #2 I was disciplined at home as a child so I dont know why people wouldn't discipline.

bulldogman06
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
yea me too, my dad but the fear of God into me...

AggieJohn
10-27-2006, 10:21 AM
"Signs" you have ADD

1. Failing to pay close attention to details or making careless mistakes when doing schoolwork or other activities. (That's not listening to directions carefully)
2. Trouble keeping attention focused during play or tasks (Not respecting authority)
3. Appearing not to listen when spoken to (Not respecting authority)
4. Failing to follow instructions or finish tasks (not listening to directions carefully)
5. Avoiding tasks that require a high amount of mental effort and organization, such as school projects (Just being lazy, not wanting to put forth effort)
6. Frequently losing items required to facilitate tasks or activities, such as school supplies(take care of your own crap, that's common sense)
7. Excessive distractibility(focus fool, focus
8. Forgetfulness(write it down, don't be lazy)

handNthedirt
10-27-2006, 10:27 AM
where I taught, the administration didn't want to deal with the kid's parents reactions to the administrators disciplinary actions, so they would just give the kids a slap on the wrist, and send the kid back to class...and I'm not talking about chewing gum and passing notes. I'm 6'2" 240, and I was a fb coach...therefore, not one that I, or anybody, wouldn've messed with when we were in school. anyway, everyday f-bombs were being dropped in class, kids snorting speed in the bathrooms, threats, defacing school property, skipping...I was even told by a kid, "why don't you and I take this matter off campus and handle this like men" and that punk walked the stage just a few days later. the last thing admin cares about is you, the teacher. you're replaceable. you'll find out sooner than later, homey, just don't say nobody warned you.

handNthedirt
10-27-2006, 10:29 AM
"Signs" you have ADD

1. Failing to pay close attention to details or making careless mistakes when doing schoolwork or other activities. (That's not listening to directions carefully)
2. Trouble keeping attention focused during play or tasks (Not respecting authority)
3. Appearing not to listen when spoken to (Not respecting authority)
4. Failing to follow instructions or finish tasks (not listening to directions carefully)
5. Avoiding tasks that require a high amount of mental effort and organization, such as school projects (Just being lazy, not wanting to put forth effort)
6. Frequently losing items required to facilitate tasks or activities, such as school supplies(take care of your own crap, that's common sense)
7. Excessive distractibility(focus fool, focus
8. Forgetfulness(write it down, don't be lazy)

Being a worthless jackass = He must have ADD, poor little guy, take it easy on him, coach

handNthedirt
10-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
......why dont parents discipline anymore?......

society is failing because teaching kids responsibility has been replaced with making sure the kids feel good about themselves.

Milk That Cow
10-27-2006, 12:02 PM
AJ,

Did you know that Caldwell has "Orange and White" as their school colors....

that should be an important factor for ya...

big daddy russ
10-27-2006, 12:22 PM
You could also check out Navasota ISD (30 mins), Anderson-Shiro ISD (30 mins), Somerville ISD (30 mins), North Zulch ISD (30 mins), Brenham ISD (40 mins), Richards ISD (40 mins-- a tiny school going out towards Huntsville), Normangee ISD (35-40 mins), and (like some others have metioned) Caldwell ISD (30 mins).

If you're willing to drive out to Cameron (about an hour out), you might also want to consider Lexington, Giddings, Burton, and Round Top-Carmine. Round Top may be the prettiest little town in Texas, if you don't mind the hour to hour-fifteen minute drive to CS.

I used to make it a point to drive through there to get to Corpus when I was living in CS. That way not only cut about 20 minutes off the trip, it was also some of the most awesome two-lane driving you can find.