PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones upset with Romo Starting!

PHS Wildcats
10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm not making it up!!!!:clap:

Jones 'disappointed' about move to Romo

Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Team owner Jerry Jones is disappointed the Dallas Cowboys are turning to Tony Romo at quarterback, although it's not because he lacks faith in his former backup.

Romo more than ready!

Cowboys QB Tony Romo will make his first career start this Sunday night against the Carolina Panthers. Hear from the four-year pro on replacing Drew Bledsoe in the Dallas huddle.

"I'm disappointed at the reason we're having to make this change," Jones said Thursday.
The change has forced Jones to lower his expectations for this season. He and coach Bill Parcells frequently said during the summer they thought this team could be "special," their code word for a team that could go deep in the playoffs.

Now?

"I have to be a realist," he said. "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. It just hasn't worked out. That to me is a step back."

Jones was counting on the Cowboys being a lot better than 3-3 and was expecting Bledsoe to be a big part of their success. Instead, the same problems Bledsoe has long faced - sacks and interceptions - are reasons for Dallas' slow start.

Parcells benched Bledsoe at halftime Monday night against the New York Giants and turned to Romo, who'd been with the team since 2003 but hadn't thrown a pass until the previous game.

The former Division I-AA player of the year was 14-of-25 for 227 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a 2-point conversion, but also threw three interceptions. Still, it was good enough for Parcells to announce Wednesday that Romo is now the starter.

He realizes things don't look as good now. The Cowboys have lost to the three best teams they've played and beaten the three worst, a recipe for mediocrity - something Dallas is trying to shake out of. The club hasn't won a playoff game since 1996 and hasn't made it to the postseason since 2003.

Giving Romo a chance now also could benefit the Cowboys in the long run because they'll find out whether he deserves the job next year. He received an extension through 2007 during the preseason.

Jones was quick to point out that wasn't a reason for this move, saying it is not a sign that "we were junking this season and just putting the team together for the future."

Romo will be the ninth starting quarterback for Dallas since Troy Aikman. Romo is the biggest long shot to make it up the depth chart, having outlasted Jones-picked candidates Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson, plus old Parcells favorites Vinny Testaverde and Bledsoe.

Jones, who carries the dual role of owner and general manager, defended his quarterback carousel, noting that he's "consciously tried not to go to the top of the draft to get a quarterback" and acknowledging that might have to change if Romo also isn't the answer.

"Part of the responsibility I have is how you address the long term situation at quarterback," he acknowledged.

Jones is still optimistic about Romo.

"I think he's a top athlete," Jones said. "I like his approach to competing. He's got a natural leadership quality about him. ... He's pocket sensitive. He's got a good feel of where it's coming from, the pressure."

Jones said he and Parcells have talked about the quarterbacks in "probably 50 percent of the conversations we have," so there wasn't a lengthy discussion about the change. He added that he does not regret sticking with Bledsoe so long, instead of having broken in Romo earlier this year or even in previous years.

"I know why we made the decisions," he said. "I would have liked for them to turn out better, but I don't regret it."

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I love how u take it out of context

He means he is upset the season has unfolded like it has

kaorder1999
10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
ESPN's HEADLINE...

Jones 'disappointed'; T.O. happy with Romo at QB

g$$
10-27-2006, 01:04 AM
As long as TO is happy, that is all that matters.

Looks like this will be the 3rd team he has split apart at the seams. TO & Jerry Jones deserve each other.

Sure makes you appreciate the class & professionalism of the Dallas Cowboys when Tom Landry & others were around.

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2006, 01:19 AM
yes the class Landry and the Cowboys had because back then the media did not report 90% of the things the players did or said.

And please explain how TO is splitting the team apart.

g$$
10-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Please explain why you continue to defend an egomaniacal jerk who has to date:

-splintered teams in San Fran & Philly (is Dallas next?)
-now w/ his 3rd team in 4 years
-questioned Jeff Garcia's sexuality
-got into a fight w/ Hugh Douglas in Philly
-got suspended in Philly for 2005 season for repeated insubordination, feuding w/ head coach Andy Reid, & showing up a class act in Donovan McNabb
-throws temper tantrums on the sidelines because he wants the ball more (he's a competitor right?)
-had an argument recently w/ his postion coach in Dallas & was told to leave the meeting after showing up late
-not practicing in training camp because of supposed groin injury (rode bike daily) but mysteriously got well before 1st game check rolled in
-brought in his own team of doctors & massage therapists (Dallas Cowboys not good enough?)
-complained recently about his role in the offense in Dallas (team guy?)
-faked a suicide for media exposure & brings his publicist along to defend his actions; she says he has $25 million reasons to live!
-is rumored to be mentally ill w/ self-esteem issues dating back to childhood & poor upbringing in rural Alabama (cry for help?)
-feeds his ego w/ repeated publicity stunts to keep his face on Sportscenter & in the news
-should I go on?

Is the media to blame also? You bet they are.

Have QB controversies always been around going back to Morton/Staubach, Meredith/Staubach, White/Hogeboom, etc.? Sure they have & we live in the information age of knowing too much. That's life as we know it today. See: War on Terror.

If you want that guy on your team, have at it. Keep him & Jerry Jones in Dallas please. Their egos are a perfect match. Don't insult the class & professionalism of Tom Landry by putting them in the same sentence please.

Anybody who understands team dynamics & what it takes to win in athletics does not want or tolerate this type of person on their team. Great player (but not what he was 4 years ago) & bigger jerk. Time bomb waiting to explode.

Terrell Owens disgusts me & should anyone who enjoys the purity & beauty of team sports. He is the antithesis of that.

bobcat1
10-27-2006, 06:20 AM
yes the class Landry and the Cowboys had because back then the media did not report 90% of the things the players did or said.
Amen, couldn't have said it better. I think people would really be suprised if they knew. LOL

PHS Wildcats
10-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Please tell me how this was taken out of context?

Is he not upset?

Is he lowering his expectation of the team this year?

What does the title say? Remember this is from the AP, I don't work for them, so I didn't get a chance to make up a title for them!!

Geez:mad:

Old Tiger
10-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Looks like Bill will be out after this season.

injuredinmelee
10-27-2006, 07:59 AM
"I know why we made the decisions," he said. "I would have liked for them to turn out better, but I don't regret it."

the key sentence from that article... IF there was no WE and Jerry would hire people who know how to evaluate talent in the NFL then this might not have happened.

PHS Wildcats
10-27-2006, 08:38 AM
nm

mrescape43
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't know if the change is going to make a difference but it can't hurt. There was no reason for Bledsoe to throw that pass just before halftime. I guess he must have thought that nobody could be covered that well so it must have been a mirage!:D

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Please tell me how this was taken out of context?

Is he not upset?

Is he lowering his expectation of the team this year?

What does the title say? Remember this is from the AP, I don't work for them, so I didn't get a chance to make up a title for them!!

Geez:mad:

Sorry when I wrote that I was thinking of the title of the article and not you personally..I should have said I love how the title of the article is taken out of context to get the attention of the reader

PHS Wildcats
10-27-2006, 09:23 AM
no problem

Txbroadcaster
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Please explain why you continue to defend an egomaniacal jerk who has to date:

-now w/ his 3rd team in 4 years
-questioned Jeff Garcia's sexuality
-got into a fight w/ Hugh Douglas in Philly
-got suspended in Philly for 2005 season for repeated insubordination, feuding w/ head coach Andy Reid, & showing up a class act in Donovan McNabb
-throws temper tantrums on the sidelines because he wants the ball more (he's a competitor right?)
-had an argument recently w/ his postion coach in Dallas & was told to leave the meeting after showing up late
-not practicing in training camp because of supposed groin injury (rode bike daily) but mysteriously got well before 1st game check rolled in
-brought in his own team of doctors & massage therapists (Dallas Cowboys not good enough?)
-complained recently about his role in the offense in Dallas (team guy?)
-faked a suicide for media exposure & brings his publicist along to defend his actions; she says he has $25 million reasons to live!
-is rumored to be mentally ill w/ self-esteem issues dating back to childhood & poor upbringing in rural Alabama (cry for help?)
-feeds his ego w/ repeated publicity stunts to keep his face on Sportscenter & in the news
-should I go on

Aight...I will dance..Lets take this issue by issue

He did not splinter San Fran..The fact they were in Salary cap hell is what tore that team down. He could have been an Angel, and they would have still went thru the problems they had. No one seems to remember he was one of the MAIN reasons they were able to squeeze a couple of play-off years out of a team that was on the downside. I will get to the Philly part later.

-questioned Jeff Garcia's sexuality No defense of what he said, it was stupid and immature.

-got into a fight w/ Hugh Douglas in Philly..OMG he got into a fight with a teamate, how dare him I bet that has never happened before i.e Clint Longley and Roger Staubach..Michael Irvin and the infamous scizzor incident...Heck even the great Randy White once got into it with Harvey Martin during the season over as White put it something small that snowballed into something big. Of course you dont mention that one of that Hugh Douglas has said many times that they patched things up after the fight.

-got suspended in Philly for 2005 season for repeated insubordination, feuding w/ head coach Andy Reid, & showing up a class act in Donovan McNabb...NOW this goes with the whole he tore Philly apart....How did Andy Reid and McNabb let ONE guy tear a whole team apart? You think maybe because some others in the locker room might have actually agreed with what Owens was saying? Is he the first guy to question the QB in the history of the NFL? If McNabb was such a great leader how come the WHOLE team did not rally around him as the leader. Maybe the injuries to McNabb, Westbrook, 6 members of the starting defense was the bigger problem to the Eagles season last year..No lets blame it ALL on ONE guy..easier that way

-throws temper tantrums on the sidelines because he wants the ball more (he's a competitor right?)..You mean like Michael Irvin, Keyshawn Johnson, Chad Johnson, Jerry Rice...GASP THE GREAT JERRY RICE...and etc..GREAT WR are egomanics that want the ball.,.that is part of what makes them great.

-had an argument recently w/ his postion coach in Dallas & was told to leave the meeting after showing up late...Once again..your acting like he is the ONLY player to get into an argument with his coach...Oh and you dont mention how the coach goes AGAINST THE HEAD COACH's RULES and leaks the argument details to the media.

-not practicing in training camp because of supposed groin injury (rode bike daily) but mysteriously got well before 1st game check rolled in....So you would have rather him do what Steve Smith did and come back too early and extend his injury? OH wait you think he was FAKING..Even people in the NFL that dont like him say TO is one of the hardest working WR in practice, yet he picks NOW to fake an injury..and it was a hamstring not a groin just to be correct.

-brought in his own team of doctors & massage therapists (Dallas Cowboys not good enough?) Troy Aikman routinley used his own doctors as have MANY NFL players.

-complained recently about his role in the offense in Dallas (team guy?) And once again, you act like he is the first or the last who will do this

-faked a suicide for media exposure & brings his publicist along to defend his actions; she says he has $25 million reasons to live!...First off Your making an accusation, not speaking on something that has been proved to be the way you see it. As far as what the publicst said, She was speaking not TO, kind of stupid to blame him for her stupid remarks.

is rumored to be mentally ill w/ self-esteem issues dating back to childhood & poor upbringing in rural Alabama (cry for help?) SO he is the FIRST guy to ever have problems? and again what is the key word..RUMORED
-feeds his ego w/ repeated publicity stunts to keep his face on Sportscenter & in the news..and once again you act like he is the first

As you can see I would not say I am defending him, but simply pointing out the fact he is not alone in his antics and is not the first nor will be the last in a long long line of professional players who are egomaniacs

You bring up Tom Landry and class...Well yes of course Tom Landry had class, but dont act like he did not have dirty Laundry either.

He allowed Duane Thomas to pretty much do what he want for a season until AFTER a SB win, then traded him.

He hung on to Hollywood Henderson as long as he could have until Tex Schram said this guy has got to go.

I love how Cowboy fans have turned Landry into the do nothing wrong Saint, and JErry Jones into the do nothing right devil...How about they BOTH were human, both did GREAT things for the Cowboys, and both have done things they probably regret.

The fact is the 70's Cowboy team lived in a media world that sheltered and protected them. They were allowed ALOT more freedom than ANY team is today in regard to incidents being covered up.

Bandera YaYa
10-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Aight...I will dance..Lets take this issue by issue

He did not splinter San Fran..The fact they were in Salary cap hell is what tore that team down. He could have been an Angel, and they would have still went thru the problems they had. No one seems to remember he was one of the MAIN reasons they were able to squeeze a couple of play-off years out of a team that was on the downside. I will get to the Philly part later.

-questioned Jeff Garcia's sexuality No defense of what he said, it was stupid and immature.

-got into a fight w/ Hugh Douglas in Philly..OMG he got into a fight with a teamate, how dare him I bet that has never happened before i.e Clint Longley and Roger Staubach..Michael Irvin and the infamous scizzor incident...Heck even the great Randy White once got into it with Harvey Martin during the season over as White put it something small that snowballed into something big. Of course you dont mention that one of that Hugh Douglas has said many times that they patched things up after the fight.

-got suspended in Philly for 2005 season for repeated insubordination, feuding w/ head coach Andy Reid, & showing up a class act in Donovan McNabb...NOW this goes with the whole he tore Philly apart....How did Andy Reid and McNabb let ONE guy tear a whole team apart? You think maybe because some others in the locker room might have actually agreed with what Owens was saying? Is he the first guy to question the QB in the history of the NFL? If McNabb was such a great leader how come the WHOLE team did not rally around him as the leader. Maybe the injuries to McNabb, Westbrook, 6 members of the starting defense was the bigger problem to the Eagles season last year..No lets blame it ALL on ONE guy..easier that way

-throws temper tantrums on the sidelines because he wants the ball more (he's a competitor right?)..You mean like Michael Irvin, Keyshawn Johnson, Chad Johnson, Jerry Rice...GASP THE GREAT JERRY RICE...and etc..GREAT WR are egomanics that want the ball.,.that is part of what makes them great.

-had an argument recently w/ his postion coach in Dallas & was told to leave the meeting after showing up late...Once again..your acting like he is the ONLY player to get into an argument with his coach...Oh and you dont mention how the coach goes AGAINST THE HEAD COACH's RULES and leaks the argument details to the media.

-not practicing in training camp because of supposed groin injury (rode bike daily) but mysteriously got well before 1st game check rolled in....So you would have rather him do what Steve Smith did and come back too early and extend his injury? OH wait you think he was FAKING..Even people in the NFL that dont like him say TO is one of the hardest working WR in practice, yet he picks NOW to fake an injury..and it was a hamstring not a groin just to be correct.

-brought in his own team of doctors & massage therapists (Dallas Cowboys not good enough?) Troy Aikman routinley used his own doctors as have MANY NFL players.

-complained recently about his role in the offense in Dallas (team guy?) And once again, you act like he is the first or the last who will do this

-faked a suicide for media exposure & brings his publicist along to defend his actions; she says he has $25 million reasons to live!...First off Your making an accusation, not speaking on something that has been proved to be the way you see it. As far as what the publicst said, She was speaking not TO, kind of stupid to blame him for her stupid remarks.

is rumored to be mentally ill w/ self-esteem issues dating back to childhood & poor upbringing in rural Alabama (cry for help?) SO he is the FIRST guy to ever have problems? and again what is the key word..RUMORED
-feeds his ego w/ repeated publicity stunts to keep his face on Sportscenter & in the news..and once again you act like he is the first

As you can see I would not say I am defending him, but simply pointing out the fact he is not alone in his antics and is not the first nor will be the last in a long long line of professional players who are egomaniacs

You bring up Tom Landry and class...Well yes of course Tom Landry had class, but dont act like he did not have dirty Laundry either.

He allowed Duane Thomas to pretty much do what he want for a season until AFTER a SB win, then traded him.

He hung on to Hollywood Henderson as long as he could have until Tex Schram said this guy has got to go.

I love how Cowboy fans have turned Landry into the do nothing wrong Saint, and JErry Jones into the do nothing right devil...How about they BOTH were human, both did GREAT things for the Cowboys, and both have done things they probably regret.

The fact is the 70's Cowboy team lived in a media world that sheltered and protected them. They were allowed ALOT more freedom than ANY team is today in regard to incidents being covered up. blah :rolleyes:

PHS Wildcats
10-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
blah :rolleyes:

I second that.

Phil C
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM

HOW ABOUT THAT PHS WILDCATS!!
BEST OUT OF CONTEXT POST WE EVER HAD!!!

Emerson1
10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
blah :rolleyes:
We all know the real reason YOU don't like him.

STXBramha
10-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Dallas has needed a team motivator like TO since Emmitt in 02. He is a physical phenomenon and an amazing athlete. I for one and happy that he was picked up. QB is the only thing keeping them from being a superbowl caliber team

gobbler grad
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
who wants to hear all this stuff...:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

get over it...

Emerson1
10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
who wants to hear all this stuff...:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

get over it...
People whine about him wanting attention, but they make thread after thread whenever he does something.

PHS Wildcats
10-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HOW ABOUT THAT PHS WILDCATS!!
BEST OUT OF CONTEXT POST WE EVER HAD!!!

So you are saying that since I posted this it was taken out of context?

Like i said, i didn't make the title, take that up with the AP!!:clap:

g$$
10-28-2006, 03:25 AM
TX Broadcaster:

If that's not defending him, then I don't know what is. And by the way, I realize that media coverage is different in today's world. So do TO & his publicist (who represents him in public, thus her remarks reflect poorly on him). Dallas PD would disagree with you on the nature of his "suicide attempt".

Your facts are off too on the Philly & San Fran cases. You are using selective memory. He was run out on a rail in both places. Competitive fire is great, showing up teammates is not.

Everything you said just makes my point even more crystal clear. His REPEATED pattern of behavior only spells trouble for any team he is on. Yes, fights happen in locker rooms all the time, but trouble follows TO like a stray dog everywhere he goes. Surely you know sports better than that. You are not the only one who knows history of players & teams.

Landry regretted his handling of malcontent players like Duane Thomas & Hollywood Henderson. Landry later said he did not know how to handle guys with drug problems in his book. It was foreign to Landry's world. But he always handled himself with grace & dignity. I cannot say the same for Jerry Jones.

Have fun in Big D with the Big Baby/Jerk TO. And he still is not the player he was 4 years ago, & never will be again.

Txbroadcaster
10-28-2006, 03:59 AM
I will agree he is not the same player he was 4 years ago, never said he was still a top 5 WR. My biggest problem with bringing him in was his age simple as that

And NO I am not defending him for any of his acts, What I am saying is that the media takes ANYTHING he does and turns it into a negative...a PERFECT example..In the Philly game To runs a delay route Drew throws it 5-10 yards to short...Troy Aikman blames TO

Another time TO is yelling something to OL...Aikman says that he needs to shut up that the OL hate that...BUT couple weeks before SAME place Philly vs Giants, Plaxico Burress is griping at his OL and Aikman comments on how mature Burress is and how he is showing that he is a great leader...THAT is a double standard.

Anytime they show TO on sideline saying ANYTHING they make it like it is a big argument...ESPN took quotes out of context to build up a TO vs Bill segment....So much is made out of Bill not calling him by his name..Bill RARELY calls ANY of his star players by their names.

Oh and Terry Glenn was a huge problem for the Pats..seems they suspended him and released him...Keyshawn was a HUGE problem for the JEts...AND the Bucs..they suspended him and traded him...Yet we dont see a camera on them EVERYTIME they go to the sideline to see if they are angry...We were at the Cowboys vs Texans game and had GREAT seats and saw Glenn just tear into Todd Haley, I mean for a good 5 mins just ranting and griping...YEt when I get home and watch replay it is not shown.

As far as the Dallas Police report...First it depends on WHICH report your talking about...and the 911 call NEVER mentioned a suicide..and the police FOUND...REPEAT FOUND the pills TO claimed he put into a drawer....The SOLE reason the police FIRST said it was a possible suicide attempt was because when they responded they asked TO if he was trying to hurt himself, and he said yes...So they take the word of someone under the influence of something that was so strong his publicist called 911 in the first place. anyway dead issue

As far as me having "selective" memory...How so? I have still yet hear HOW ONE MAN tore down a whole team all by himself.

Never said Landry did not show class, but I also think people give Landry a HUGE benefit of the doubt when he said I just did not know how to handle players on drugs...If Jerry said that back in the 90's with some of the players on those teams, the media would have LAUGHED him out of Dallas.

And BTW fun debating this topic with you, I love a good debate with someone who can handle the topic without getting personal or angry

g$$
10-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Absolutely, no anger or dissent. Good debate.

My thing is TO has brought MOST of this stuff on himself. And yes the media jumps on stuff, runs with it, & makes a story to sell papers or get viewers. I admit double standards exist - but Troy Aikman & other old school guys (like me too) just hate the way prima donnas like TO act. I don't doubt Terry Glenn did the same thing. Michael Irvin may say & do dumb things now, but on the field when he played I loved his competitiveness. He yelled & marched around but I never saw him show up teammates like TO - inspire, encourage, challenge them, yes Irvin would do that. TO just loves the publicity & I think it speaks to a more serious issue of abandonment & self-esteem from his childhood. He came from nothing & should be commended on that.

The WR coach Haley is on borrowed time anyway! Now he is even suing McDonald's. What happened in Philly & San Fran is over & done now but I think many factors were involved. TO did his share as did others too.

Landry may get a free pass at times. I always respected the man on & off the field, but his players behind the scenes had names like Ice Man & others for him. He could be cold & not want to get too close to them. And I admit, I don't like or respect Jerry Jones. He should hire a real GM if he ever wants to turn this thing around soon. Jerry is a businessman at the core.

Guess we'll see what happens as the soap opera continues. Take care.

sinton66
10-28-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't like or respect Jerry Jones. He should hire a real GM if he ever wants to turn this thing around soon.

And fire his son????? You don't honestly expect that to EVER happen do you?

NDFootball
10-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by STXBramha
Dallas has needed a team motivator like TO since Emmitt in 02. He is a physical phenomenon and an amazing athlete. I for one and happy that he was picked up. QB is the only thing keeping them from being a superbowl caliber team

I agree...

Say what you want about the O line but they are going to start looking alot better now that we don't have someone with concrete in their shoes at QB. I still don't think Romo is a starting quality QB though.

crzyjournalist03
10-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Getting back to the original topic here, how would you expect an owner to react? You have to remember he's running a business here.

With Bledsoe at the helm, people might believe this team can go places...their performance hasn't been there, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Putting in an inexperienced QB is generally a sign of "rebuilding". That's clearly not the Cowboys intentions in this situation, but to the uninformed fan or bystanders to the situation, this looks like a white flag going up from Valley Ranch...that doesn't make money for your team.

Loyal fans are going to be there all the time. A businessman wants to bring the uninformed and the perimeter fan to the game and sell him on the team. Romo doesn't bring those fans to the game...hence, Jerry as a businessman SHOULD be upset.

awizzy
11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
i bet hes not now

spiveyrat
11-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
i bet hes not now

Yep. I think they're 5-1 since he's been playing.