PDA

View Full Version : Losing on purpose?

wildstangs
10-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Would any of you lose a game on purpose if it meant not having to play a great team quicker? I am sure I know the answer, but check this out.

(From the RN)

"The Abilene High volleyball team finished the regular season in second place in District 3-5A, but the way it happened left a bitter taste in coach Didi Pierce's mouth.
The Lady Eagles defeated Midland High at home 25-20, 25-21, 25-14 Tuesday night to improve to 24-10 overall and 9-3 in the district, pulling into a tie with the Lady Bulldogs (24-12 overall, 9-3 district) for second place and winning the tiebreaker due to wins in both head-to-head matches this season.
Pierce felt, however, that MHS did not put forth its best effort in order to avoid a potential second round matchup with Amarillo High - the No. 1 ranked team in the Texas Girls Coaches Association volleyball poll.
''Midland High did not come out and even try to win this game because they did not want to play the second round in the playoffs against Amarillo High, and they threw the match on purpose,'' Pierce said. ''You can quote me on that because (MHS coach Terri McColloch) told me after the game.''

http://reporternews.com/abil/sp_lc_abilene_hs/article/0,1874,ABIL_8781_5091651,00.html

mwynn05
10-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Would any of you lose a game on purpose if it meant not having to play a great team quicker? I am sure I know the answer, but check this out.

(From the RN)

"The Abilene High volleyball team finished the regular season in second place in District 3-5A, but the way it happened left a bitter taste in coach Didi Pierce's mouth.
The Lady Eagles defeated Midland High at home 25-20, 25-21, 25-14 Tuesday night to improve to 24-10 overall and 9-3 in the district, pulling into a tie with the Lady Bulldogs (24-12 overall, 9-3 district) for second place and winning the tiebreaker due to wins in both head-to-head matches this season.
Pierce felt, however, that MHS did not put forth its best effort in order to avoid a potential second round matchup with Amarillo High - the No. 1 ranked team in the Texas Girls Coaches Association volleyball poll.
''Midland High did not come out and even try to win this game because they did not want to play the second round in the playoffs against Amarillo High, and they threw the match on purpose,'' Pierce said. ''You can quote me on that because (MHS coach Terri McColloch) told me after the game.''

http://reporternews.com/abil/sp_lc_abilene_hs/article/0,1874,ABIL_8781_5091651,00.html She sounds pretty pissed

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 08:49 PM
wow..:doh: :doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2006, 08:55 PM
All I can say is if I were a coach and my gameplan was to lose on purpose, I certainly wouldn't be telling the other coach. :doh: :doh: :doh:

SnyTigBaseB07
10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
wow

never ever ever seen anything like that...

but i do see why they did it

or "allegedly did it"

mwynn05
10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
All I can say is if I were a coach and my gameplan was to lose on purpose, I certainly wouldn't be telling the other coach. :doh: :doh: :doh: never mind i didnt see that at the bottom

whtfbplaya
10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
She acted proud that they won, eventhough the other team threw the game. lol

Tx Challenge
10-26-2006, 11:29 PM
If this coach did throw a game, then they should not be a coach! In the playoffs to be the best, you have to play the best.

We all wish this team would beat that team in the playoffs, so maybe we will face another team that on paper our chances look better.

Sorry for the rant I cant understand ever entering a game, with the idea of anything but winning. Sets a bad example. Just my 2 cents

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Well if they threw it they are bad at it they almost won the first two sets

The Lady Eagles defeated Midland High at home 25-20, 25-21, 25-14

So either her players did not listen to throw it, or they are so good they can throw it yet only lose by 5, and by 4 in first two sets

DukeNukem
10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
All I can say is if I were a coach and my gameplan was to lose on purpose, I certainly wouldn't be telling the other coach. :doh: :doh: :doh:

thats for sure. since they could not win the district and all that was determined by the game was playoff seedings, this may not be a bad move. i certainly would never tell kids to throw a game, but you can't blame them. however, if you are looking at your goals in the long run, this may have been the best thing. playing devil's advocate the scenario may go like this.

team goals for season

1. win district
2. win a playoff game or two
3. win state

once goal one was unobtainable, they proceeded to goal # 2.

it is not the same, but it falls behind the reasoning of things such as pulling starters in second half to avoid injury when one team is way ahead or way behind, keeping a star player nursing an injury out until district and just not worry about the preseason games, etc...

this stuff happens in baseball all the time. a manager will basically concede a game when they get behind rather than overworking his bullpen and sacrificing perhaps the next few games.

Paratrooper
10-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
If this coach did throw a game, then they should not be a coach! In the playoffs to be the best, you have to play the best.

We all wish this team would beat that team in the playoffs, so maybe we will face another team that on paper our chances look better.

Sorry for the rant I cant understand ever entering a game, with the idea of anything but winning. Sets a bad example. Just my 2 cents

Well said - this isn't for money. This is for getting out there and doing your best. The coach should be fired for it. What kind of lesson in life is this. When you face adversity you cut and run? Simply put that is poor.

piratebg
10-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Why in the wolrd would a coach do this? You teach you players to the do their best at all times and to never give up. Having them throw a game like this is a disgrace. The coach should be fired and banned/suspended from coaching.

pirate4state
10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
All I can say is if I were a coach and my gameplan was to lose on purpose, I certainly wouldn't be telling the other coach. :doh: :doh: :doh: Well, I think we all agree this coach isn't very bright! :rolleyes: