PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater/ Abilene Wylie Preview

Phantom Stang
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Mustangs, Bulldogs renew rivalry with District 7-3A lead at stake
Written by Ben Barkley

It has been circled on the schedule once it was released and now it is here.
Sweetwater and Abilene Wylie will renew its annual rivalry Friday night at Bulldog Stadium with the lead in District 7-3A on the line.
“This has the most riding on it,” said Sweetwater head coach Kent Jackson of the game Friday. “The two teams we have left (Wylie and Breckenridge) are the two that are left who still have a shot to win (district). We have two important contests left.
“This is a big one. This is the one the kids, the community and everyone can get excited about.”
Sweetwater will enter the contest with a 2-0 mark in district and a 7-1 record overall. The Bulldogs are 5-2 overall and trail the Mustangs by a half game at 1-0 in the league.
Breckenridge, which will host Clyde this week, is also 1-0 in the district and 7-1 overall. The Buckaroos are scheduled to meet Sweetwater Friday, Nov. 10.
The Mustangs will look to take control of the game early. They have been able to do just that in each game this season — scoring on the opening drive in all but one game this season.
“The early momentum will be important,” Jackson said, but noted which ever team gains the momentum will need to keep it for 48 minutes.
Sweetwater has outscored its opponents 199-56 in the first half this season.
“Staying the course is going to be important,” he said.
Jackson knows the last time his team went to Wylie, the second half was not what either team expected. There were five drives during the entire second half – Sweetwater had three of the drives but still fell to the Bulldogs.
“We have to stay in the next play mentality. We have to fight to the finish,” Jackson said. “With this bunch, we cannot think that we can relax. It is going to be a four quarter night.”
Sweetwater will look to gain the momentum on offense through its high-powered rushing attack. The Mustangs are averaging 355 yards on the ground this season, and defensive units have yet to make stop the stampede.
Senior Joseph Banyard leads the rushing game with 855 yards on 96 carries with 15 touchdowns. Quarterback Duone Cunnings has added 798 yards on 96 carries with nine scores.
Skye Green has come alive the past few weeks and has rushed for 581 yards on 58 carries with 12 touchdowns, including four last week against Clyde. Auston Davis has also contributed to the powerful running attack, gaining 378 yards on 54 carries with one score.
“It is a typical Wylie defense,” Jackson said of the offensive game plan. “They have good size across the front. They can hurt you a lot.”
Sweetwater has faced tough defenses over the course of the first eight weeks, and Jackson said this will be the toughest challenge to date.
“They reload (the defense) every year). They are going to show us three or four different fronts,” he said.
Sweetwater’s defense will also be challenged to stop a Bulldogs offense which is averaging 292 yards and 30 points per game.
The offense is led by quarterback Gary Edwards, who is a dual threat with the ball. He is the leading rusher for Wylie with 527 yards on 73 carries.
Edwards also like to pass the ball, completing 62 of 108 passes for 822 yards. However, he has thrown seven interceptions this season.
“Gary is an exceptional athlete and an exceptional person,” Jackson said, noting he got to know the signal-caller during the track season last year. “He has been able to use all of his God given talent to run the offense.”
Matt Smith is the leading receiver for Wylie wit h 21 catches for 286 yards.
Cameron Rogers is also a big threat on offense. The junior tailback has rushed for 233 yards this season. Bailey McGee has added 185 yards on the ground while Russell Felts has recorded 153 yards.
Sweetwater’s defense has shut down the run over the past three weeks, including holding Clyde’s Curtis Kevil to 81 yards on 27 carries last week.
For the season, Sweetwater is allowing only 170 yards per game on the ground, but over the past three weeks, the average has been 70.3 yards per game.
The defense is led by linebacker Justin Adames, who is averaging nearly 10 tackles per game. Thomas Holsey has recorded two interceptions this season while averaging seven tackles.
Up front, Jeffery Straley an-chors a line with seven tackles per game.
Next week, the Mustangs will be off in preparation for the regular season finale against Breckenridge.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter http://sweetwaterreporter.com/images/stories/cunnings.jpg
Sweetwater quarterback Duone Cunnings finds room behind the blocking of Joseph Banyard during last week's win over Clyde. Sweetwater will look to remain perfect as it travels to meet Abilene Wylie Friday night in a District 7-3A contest.

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
is it just me or is everyone ready for this game??

Snydertigersrul
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

The question is if the players are ready, not the fans. I'm going with Wylie to make it three in a row.

wildstangs
10-26-2006, 06:29 PM

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
The question is if the players are ready, not the fans. I'm going with Wylie to make it three in a row.

i think our D ends will have something to say about Edwards running on the draw.......stop Edwards= stop Wylie

NDFootball
10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
How about we just stop talking about this game and we'll find out first hand tomorrow.

Ranger Mom
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
How about we just stop talking about this game and we'll find out first hand tomorrow.

Dude.....you are NO fun!!:hand:

NDFootball
10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Dude.....you are NO fun!!:hand:

Lol sorry :D

I'm just tired of talking I'm ready to get out there....

LH Panther Mom
10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
No, it's just you. :p

Ranger Mom
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
No, it's just you. :p

LOL!! I haven't given THAT game a second thought!!:p

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! I haven't given THAT game a second thought!!:p

you know that deep down you feel that this game should be GOTW

Stownhorse
10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
you know that deep down you feel that this game should be GOTW

too late to piss and moan lol

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
too late to piss and moan lol

riiiiight...so do you know exactly where and when the M&G is??...i know something of an Enrique's and thats about it..and i know how to get to that restaurant

Stownhorse
10-26-2006, 09:50 PM
riiiiight...so do you know exactly where and when the M&G is??...i know something of an Enrique's and thats about it..and i know how to get to that restaurant

I thought you didnt know how to get there? but its at 6:15 at enriques

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
I thought you didnt know how to get there? but its at 6:15 at enriques

i asked Justin yesterday and he drew me a little map..lol...right past the DPS office..

mrescape43
10-26-2006, 09:57 PM
i think our D ends will have something to say about Edwards running on the draw.......stop Edwards= stop Wylie

I feel Sweetwater is the one team with enough speed to neutralize Edwards and take control of the game. I look for JB to have a big game on both offense and defense.

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I feel Sweetwater is the one team with enough speed to neutralize Edwards and take control of the game. I look for JB to have a big game on both offense and defense.

me too...JB is a good hard runner...but i think Jackson will utilize the multiple backs we have and rack up yards with Davis, Cunnings, and Green....with that kind of backfield..you can't focus on one guy

thewyliefan
10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
i dont think that stop edwards = stop wylie is true. there is more than 1 person on both teams, or in sweetwaters case theres more than 3. who ever wins this game is going to be the team that plays the best as a team.

Stownhorse
10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43

Doesnt he always have a big game? But the KEY to this game is turnovers and capitalizing on them!

Texasfootball2
10-27-2006, 10:15 AM

You make it sound like Wylie is a one man team. Because he's the QB, if he struggles, yes the dawgs may struggle but you can say that about any team. Wylie's offense is very multiple and very versitile. Gary may be the trigger man, but they have lot's of weapons and know how to use them well. Sandifer will consantly make adjust during the game and thats what make the offense so versitile.

On the other had you could also say, "stop the Sweetwater QB=stop the Mustangs" afterall they are an option team which relies heaviley on there QB to create and make plays. And the QB draw you speak of is a play that Wylie runs about 3 times per game, it's not and intricle part of the offense, it is just another play.

BMOC
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I understand that you don't choose when you play your district games, its just luck of the draw. But this would be a great game to end the regular season.

Texasfootball2
10-27-2006, 12:59 PM
T minus 7hrs. & 30 min in counting!!!!!

mustang04
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
DANG I'M EXCITED!!!!!!!!:) :clap:

exbulldog06
10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
You make it sound like Wylie is a one man team. Because he's the QB, if he struggles, yes the dawgs may struggle but you can say that about any team. Wylie's offense is very multiple and very versitile. Gary may be the trigger man, but they have lot's of weapons and know how to use them well. Sandifer will consantly make adjust during the game and thats what make the offense so versitile.

On the other had you could also say, "stop the Sweetwater QB=stop the Mustangs" afterall they are an option team which relies heaviley on there QB to create and make plays. And the QB draw you speak of is a play that Wylie runs about 3 times per game, it's not and intricle part of the offense, it is just another play.

This is very true if you are able to stop Gary then Sandifer will go to another guy and another guy. Gary is very good but he isnt the only player out there.

Old Tiger
10-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Is this game in Abiline?

mustang68
10-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by exbulldog06
This is very true if you are able to stop Gary then Sandifer will go to another guy and another guy. Gary is very good but he isnt the only player out there.

I have not seen Wylie play this year so my observation is simply from stats and what the Wylie posters have been saying this week.
Sounds like Wylie is very one dimentional on the offensive side of the ball strictly from a big play standpoint. If their defense is as good as the hype, from what the Wylie posters would have you believe, Sweetwater does not stand a chance.
The Wylie defensive stats are quite impressive for the year as are Sweetwater's offensive stats which are very misleading. Could be a barn burner.
Mustangs 27 Wylie 14

BMOC
10-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
I have not seen Wylie play this year so my observation is simply from stats and what the Wylie posters have been saying this week.
Sounds like Wylie is very one dimentional on the offensive side of the ball strictly from a big play standpoint. If their defense is as good as the hype, from what the Wylie posters would have you believe, Sweetwater does not stand a chance.
The Wylie defensive stats are quite impressive for the year as are Sweetwater's offensive stats which are very misleading. Could be a barn burner.
Mustangs 27 Wylie 14

Wylie is not one dimensional, but we do have a big time playmaker at QB. It should be interesting to see how our D plays against your O, especially since both have been hyped up all year.
It's going to be a great game, these two teams always play tough against each other.

tigerbyheart
10-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Wylie by 12!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!

mustang68
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by tigerbyheart
Wylie by 12!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!

Seems you have another game you should be worrying about.
We would love to see you in the playoffs
if you make it.

Greenwood 28
snyder 2
:devil:

SWMustang
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
who's got their "Battle Red" on?

mustang68
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
"let er budge" Mustangs.

BMOC
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
who's got their "Battle Red" on?

not me!!:mad:

Tweeder215
10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm freakin' excited, as always!!!

Now I will make my prediction....
Mustangs 26
bulldogs 21

mustang68
10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
I'm freakin' excited, as always!!!

Now I will make my prediction....
Mustangs 26
bulldogs 21
Are you at the game tonight?

Tweeder215
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?!?!

No, its a very serious hat called a miter but I will be at the game either way.

Snydertigersrul
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Here's my look at the games.

SNYDER 52
GREENWOOD 6 (SORRY RANGER MOM)

WYLIE 34
SWEETATER 6 (Wyle has your number)

mustang68
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
A pointy red thing?

Old Tiger
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
So where is the game being played?

NDFootball
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
It's in Abilene

Tweeder215
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
A pointy red thing?

That's the one...You busy for the next little bit?

Curly
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Here come the MUSTANGS

http://www.psln.com/pete/wild_horses_running_free.jpg

mustang68
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
That's the one...You busy for the next little bit?
It's paper time:cool:

Snydertigersrul
10-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Curly
Here come the MUSTANGS

http://www.psln.com/pete/wild_horses_running_free.jpg

They are running away from Bulldog Stadium because they want no part of the Wylie Bulldogs.

WYLIE 13, SWEETWATER 7
SNYDER 21, SWEETWATER 20
WYLIE 26, SWEETWATER 3

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Considering that the last two times these teams have met...Sweetwater has scored a combined 10 points with a similar backfield (or some might say a better one with Carrillo back there)...it's hard to imagine them putting up a big number on Wylie's defense, which is improved over recent years. Also, for those who said Wylie is one-dimensional...did you miss the fact that Sweetwater runs the ball 80+% of the time? :thinking: :doh:

Either way...I'm still not sold on the Wylie offense being that explosive but, until they prove otherwise, I'm still buying the defense as a solid unit.

My pick:

Whomever breaks 20.5 will win the game...

Texasfootball2
10-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Considering that the last two times these teams have met...Sweetwater has scored a combined 10 points with a similar backfield (or some might say a better one with Carrillo back there)...it's hard to imagine them putting up a big number on Wylie's defense, which is improved over recent years. Also, for those who said Wylie is one-dimensional...did you miss the fact that Sweetwater runs the ball 80+% of the time? :thinking: :doh:

Either way...I'm still not sold on the Wylie offense being that explosive but, until they prove otherwise, I'm still buying the defense as a solid unit.

My pick:

Whomever breaks 20.5 will win the game...

Way to go out on a limb there with that gutsy pick!!!!

STANG RED
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
11 different runners have toted the pill for the Mustangs this year.
So the Wylie D had better keep their eyes open, and not key too heavily on anyone in particular. Any one of these guys are capable of taking it the distance on any given play. Have fun Wylie D.

Individual Statistics
Rushing--------------No.----Yds----Avg.----TD
Joseph Banyard------96-----855----8.9-----15
Duone Cunnings-----96-----798----8.3-----9
Skye Green----------58-----581---10.0----12
Auston Davis--------54-----378----7.0-----1
Martin Williams------13------79-----6.1-----0
Maurice Rosas------16------61-----3.8-----0
Steven Fields-------17------41-----2.4-----0
Thomas Holsey------7------38-----5.4-----0
Isaac Cotherman---8------28------3.5----0
Justin Rodriguez----1-------3------3.0-----0
Rufus McCann-------2------2-------1.0-----0

Curly
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
They are running away from Bulldog Stadium because they want no part of the Wylie Bulldogs.

WYLIE 13, SWEETWATER 7
SNYDER 21, SWEETWATER 20
WYLIE 26, SWEETWATER 3

Snyder would know about running away
cause they ran away from both of these teams this year when it came time to schedule games
but if things workout they can't run for ever
bound to meet one of us in the playoffs then there aint no place for the tigers to hide

SWMustang
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
did you miss the fact that Sweetwater runs the ball 80+% of the time? :thinking: :doh:

you're being generous - Sweetwater runs the ball 96.85% of the time - 369 rushing attemps 12 passing attempts.

STANG RED
10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
you're being generous - Sweetwater runs the ball 96.85% of the time - 369 rushing attemps 12 passing attempts.

Yes, and I think we scored TDs on about 1/2 of those passing attempts. Not bad!

pero chato
10-27-2006, 03:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with being one-dimensional if the bloody thing works! I posted on another thread that I think SW will pass a little more tonight just to mix it up, but I'm not sure they will need to. I picked SW by 17, but I don't think it will be high scoring. In the six meetings I've seen between these two, it never has been. But of course tonight - SW 57, Wylie 40. LOL!

shadow13
10-27-2006, 03:59 PM

WYLIE 13, SWEETWATER 7
SNYDER 21, SWEETWATER 20
WYLIE 26, SWEETWATER 3 Skye in 13- 7 game no carries.
21-20 game 2 carries.
26-3 game 5 carries. -76yds.

Wylie has not really stopped Skye, because he has not been given the ball, the last 2 games against Wylie he was used as a decoy,maybe the game plan will be different this time around.

Freshman yr.
S'water 8 - Wylie 6
Skye & Gary TD's

8th grade
S'water 6 - Wylie 6
Skye & Gary TD's

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 04:02 PM

yeah..I didn't want to throw out 95% (my original guess) and get flamed if I was wrong...and for once I didn't want to go pull the actual stats either! ;)

Though remember that last year the Mustangs came out throwing against Wylie. They threw 12 passes in that game! ;)

Adidas410s
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Way to go out on a limb there with that gutsy pick!!!!

I honestly think Wylie holds Sweetwater between 14 and 17 points. At the same time, I doubt Wylie gets any higher than 21. If Sweetwater can come with 1 big play (or an extra drive) then that puts them at 21 or higher and IMO they would win the game.

SWMustang
10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
yeah..I didn't want to throw out 95% (my original guess) and get flamed if I was wrong...and for once I didn't want to go pull the actual stats either! ;)

Though remember that last year the Mustangs came out throwing against Wylie. They threw 12 passes in that game! ;)

they were airing it out that game!:D

NDFootball
10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
7:30....

Can you feel it in the air????
Maybe not...but the air around Bulldog Stadium and the locker room was electric today...will be interesting to see just how much of it comes on the field.