PDA

View Full Version : The Nose Buster

Pudlugger
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Have you ever noticed how the old time football players all have bent and deformed noses and are missing front teeth? Well in the old days they didn't have facemasks. In fact in the 60's when facemasks were introduced into the game they were a single bar (you still see some of these on NFL kickers). Single bar face masks or even double bar masks were ineffective for the infamous defensive lineman's "nose buster".

The nose buster was a forearm to the nose usually delivered on the first play from scrimmage to establish who would be the man during the rest of the game. It generally resulted in a torent of blood on the jersey and excrutiating pain and disorientation on the unlucky recipient. In those days if a player got a bloody nose the coach would tell you to stop bleeding on the school jersy and get back in the game. Heck in the 60's before they knew about the dangers of concussions, I remember coaches asking players what day it was and where they were. If they got one out of two correct back in they went to finish the game. To quote a favorite TV guy of mine" Football is not for sissies ButterCup. Its hard work... and groin pulls". :D

Old Tiger
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
lol :clap:

Adidas410s
10-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Phil...are you posting under a different name again? ;)

Pudlugger
10-26-2006, 04:58 PM
No, man it's me. I've got the nose to prove it!:D