PDA

View Full Version : Tiki upset with journalist including Irvin

eagles_victory
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Tiki Barber blasted critics of his retirement decision on his Tuesday night Sirius Satellite Radio show, "The Barber Shop."

"...I will call them idiots, because they have neither spoken to me, nor any one of my teammates or any of my coaches," Barber said. "Yet all they do is criticize me for being a distraction with this retirement thing."

Barber was specifically upset at three of his critics: the New York Daily News' Gary Myers, who wrote that Barber had "created a season-long distraction" the Giants "don't need"; and ESPN's Tom Jackson, who said the decision "has distracted the team from the task at hand," and Michael Irvin.

"To me, in my head, that's quitting," Irvin said before the Giants' 36-22 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night. "That's not retiring."

Barber singled the three out during his radio show Tuesday night.

Do you believe Tiki Barber's retirement plans will be a distraction for the Giants?
Yes
No

"And that includes Gary Myers," he said. "That includes Tom Jackson on ESPN. That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin. Please get a clue on how to be a journalist.

"Don't make blanket assumptions about it [retirement]. And obviously, as was evidenced [Monday] night, I am a huge distraction to the New York Giants," he said.

The remarks come a week after it was first learned Barber was considering retiring after this season.

"I've been talking about retirement for years now, and it has nothing to do with being physical or money or Hall of Fame," Barber said at the time. "It's all about my desires, and for me to change them would compromise my integrity and would compromise who I am as a person and what I've always stood for."

Asked whether there was added pressure to win this year because of his plans, Barber said: "The pressure's always there, it's no different just because you guys know that I'm going to retire this year.

"I'm a diverse person," Barber said. "I have a lot of interests, and at some point it's time to execute a plan that's been in place for me for about seven and a half, eight years."

Still, Barber wouldn't commit to saying his retirement was 100 percent certain.

"It's Week 6 of the NFL season, so I won't say that," he said at the time.

However, he also said there was "nothing" that would change his mind.

Now in his 10th season, the 31-year-old Barber said that he has been banged up more this season than in any previous one and that his passion for the game has waned.

Barber, who has spoken about retiring a couple times in the past year, has a myriad interests off the field. He has worked in television and has discussed possible jobs in finance and philanthropy.

"I have a lot of interests and I've never wanted to be solely defined as a football player," said Barber, who will earn $4.15 million this season. "I wasn't that way in high school, I wasn't that way in college and I won't compromise my ideals to be that way in the National Football League."

Longtime teammate Amani Toomer believes Barber is serious about quitting after this season.

"Knowing Tiki, he is not the type of guy to just say things," Toomer said. "Whatever he says, he means."

Linebacker Brandon Short thinks the talk of Barber's will not distract the team.

"Tiki is an outstanding player and I hope he stays with the Giants and plays forever, so I can watch him play and he can help us win some championships," Short said. "Right now, our focus is the task at hand and that's the 2006 season."

big daddy russ
10-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a guy's retirement is a "distraction" in the locker room. If anything, I figured they'd want to go out and win one, last time for their teammate.

Bulldog_12
10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
No lie, The Bus said at the beginning of the season that he was retiring last year and all the media could do was talk about what a great guy he has been and how the team will rally. What happened? the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Maroon87
10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Michael Irvin makes a bigger fool of himself every week.

Macarthur
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
i could care less about a freaking NY Giant.

bulldogman06
10-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Tiki Barber is an excellent RB, I hope they do well this year...

Keith7
10-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

"has distracted the team from the task at hand," and Michael Irvin.

"To me, in my head, that's quitting," Irvin said before the Giants' 36-22 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night. "That's not retiring."

All this coming from a guy who was once facing Cocaine and Sexual Harrasment accusations while his team was in the playoffs!

AggiesAreWe
10-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I lost all respect for ESPN when they hired Michael Irvin. I hope they are happy with what these latest dumb remarks from Irvin bring them. Tiki nailed it, he is a complete idiot.

rb585
10-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Shouldn't the thread title be "upset with journalists *AND* Irvin"?

Txbroadcaster
10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
I lost all respect for ESPN when they hired Michael Irvin. I hope they are happy with what these latest dumb remarks from Irvin bring them. Tiki nailed it, he is a complete idiot.

I disagree with what has been said BUT Irvin is not the ONLY one to say it..Phil Simms said the exact same thing as did other former players...So it is not all Irvin..As far as the Bus..He announced it BEFORE the season..alot of the former players problem with him doing it is necause it happend right in the middle of the season, not before, or after..I am not saying I agree with them, because I dont, but that is why they are making the comments they are.

eagles_victory
10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I disagree with what has been said BUT Irvin is not the ONLY one to say it..Phil Simms said the exact same thing as did other former players...So it is not all Irvin..As far as the Bus..He announced it BEFORE the season..alot of the former players problem with him doing it is necause it happend right in the middle of the season, not before, or after..I am not saying I agree with them, because I dont, but that is why they are making the comments they are. your right and its easy for us to say its not a distraction. But in there defense these former players have been there before and most of us havent

Keith7
10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
your right and its easy for us to say its not a distraction. But in there defense these former players have been there before and most of us havent

ya Michael Irvin had tons of starting running backs retire while he was playing, he should know how hard it is to play when someone else is retiring :rolleyes:

eagles_victory
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ya Michael Irvin had tons of starting running backs retire while he was playing, he should know how hard it is to play when someone else is retiring :rolleyes: im pretty sure he knows more about NFL football locker rooms then keith 7 does

Keith7
10-26-2006, 10:40 PM
im pretty sure he knows more about NFL football locker rooms then keith 7 does

bull crap, when my friends went to state a couple of years ago they took pictures of the lockerroom in Texas Stadium, I know NFL lockerrooms

bulldogman06
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
hahaha, nice... but it shouldnt be too big of a distraction. all it should do is make them want it more for the back that has carried them over the years...

Bulldog_12
10-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I disagree with what has been said BUT Irvin is not the ONLY one to say it..Phil Simms said the exact same thing as did other former players...So it is not all Irvin..As far as the Bus..He announced it BEFORE the season..alot of the former players problem with him doing it is necause it happend right in the middle of the season, not before, or after..I am not saying I agree with them, because I dont, but that is why they are making the comments they are.

Today on Mike and Mike they announced that several unidentified Giants players said that Tiki HAD been talking retirement before the season started. He tried not to let it get out during the season, but somehow there was a leak so he made it official.

JR2004
10-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Today on Mike and Mike they announced that several unidentified Giants players said that Tiki HAD been talking retirement before the season started. He tried not to let it get out during the season, but somehow there was a leak so he made it official.

Well there you go. Apparently he did talk about it with his teammates BEFORE the season ever started. Either way Irvin looks like an idiot for going off about this as do the other talking heads who made similarly dumb comments. Anyone with Irvin's history though has ZERO room to talk about distractions. :)

g$$
10-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Why can't a guy like Tiki Barber be given credit for being more than a football player? He graduated from one of the country's most prestigious universities, Virginia. He has worked to further his broadcasting career on Fox News for a few years now. He has businesses, endorsements, & a variety if interests. He has a wife & kid. He can still walk & has his faculties too. He's had a fine career & made a lot of money. His brother Ronde is cut from the same mold. Class acts.

This guy is no dumb jock - he has a plan for his life after football. I applaud him & the distraction talk is bogus. Michael Irvin - give me a break. His whole life off the field was a distraction, as recently as last year when dope was found in his car in Dallas.

Sports needs more role models like Tiki Barber.