PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 56, Winnsboro 30

Gilmer Buckeye
10-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Matchup of two 6-0 teams in Winnsboro tonight. The game was not as close as the score indicates, but Winnsboro did move the ball fairly well at times. It was Buckeyes by 30-8 at the half. Gilmer hosts Mineola for homecoming next Friday night. We need to let the banged-up players heal up before the rematch with Daingerfield in bi-district, which is now very likely after Atlanta's upset win over the Tigers.

Gilmer Buckeye
10-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Link to game account:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10340019&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=499818&rfi=6

BigRedfan
10-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Winnsboro did not play well at all in the first half which turned out to be the difference in the game. Winnsboro matched touchdown for touchdown in the second half. Too many mistakes were made by Winnsboro. Gilmer had great field position all game long. I do not remember but one time they had to start any further back than their own 35 all night long. Winnsboro kicking game was very off last night. Before last night, Winnsboro was averaging 40 yards per punt. Next up for the Winnsboro is the Rains Wildcats who played Mount Vernon a pretty close game last night. The next week Winnsboro will play Lindale at Winnsboro and will close out the regular season against the Mount Vernon Tigers.
Gilmer is a very good team and should go far in the playoffs.
Congratulations to both teams on a cleanly played game last night. It was refreshing after the almost disaster the week before. eek! :p

Buckeye80
10-18-2003, 11:20 AM
It was a good game, but you're right Buckeye about it not really being as close as the score would indicate. Their last touchdown was a "30 yards in penalties aided" cosmetic touchdown against our second string defense. Our defense, which I can only describe as "bend don't break" played well enough to win, but they will have to play better against stronger offenses. I can foresee a 64-61 type score for us in at least one playoff game. Our defense is a little suspect at times, but NO ONE in the state can shut our offense down completely. Go Buckeyes!

BigRedfan
10-18-2003, 11:32 AM
If I remember right, one or two of your touchdowns were also aided by penalties. You also had a reception that should have been an interception for Winnsboro.Maybe we will get a rematch in the playoffs but I doubt it.
If Winnsboro moves down to 2a this next realignment it may put an end to the games between us. I hope though that is not the case.
I think that Winnsboro learned a valuable lesson last night. I also think that Winnsboro's weak pre district schedule came back to bite them last night.
Good luck the rest of the way.What does it look like for yal in the next few years? Do you have a bunch of equal or better talent coming up? :p :p

Gilmer Buckeye
10-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Gilmer's JV is not thought to have that much talent relative to what we are accustomed, but the freshman team is loaded.

I look for several of them to be starting on the varsity next season and a whole bunch of them on the team and contributing in some way. We lose 28 seniors so someone for sure is going to have to step up. No telling what realignment will do to us either. I am sure we will be back to being underdogs next year in a number of games.

On one of your other points, BigRedFan, I was surprised at the number of fumbles and the bad snaps to the punter. It did seem like Winnsboro just couldn't handle the ball for some reason last night. It was a miracle the Red Raiders suffered no turnovers.

Buckeye80
10-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately BigRedFan, it looks like we are on a collision course with Daingerfield in the first round now. I have no doubts that we are able to beat D'field! I just would rather see that matchup in the Region 2 Finals. I honestly believe that Daingerfield is looking at us exactly how we are looking at them; with respect. I really don't see anyone else in the region (Division II now Forney and Gainesville fans) containing that offense well enough to beat us. As you saw first-hand, we can put some points on the board. As for y'all, assuming that Lindale makes the playoffs (and I see no way that they don't), y'all are looking at Atlanta in the first round. And I'll be the first one to admit that when y'all played the Rabbits in the first round three years ago, I didn't give y'all a chance, but you pulled it off.
Sidenote: You asked me a couple of weeks ago about my name (Buckeye80). #80 was my number when I played at Gilmer. I know there have been several since then, but THAT number 80 will always be mine. Go Buckeyes!!!!!

BigRedfan
10-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Correction: Winnsboro played Atlanta in the second round and Commerce in the third round. :) :cool: :rolleyes:

Buckeye80
10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
I try to pay y'all a compliment, and look what happens. You smack me down!!! (LOL)

BigRedfan
10-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Did not mean to do that. lol. I knew what you meant.I took as a compliment.

Gilmer Buckeye
10-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Buckeye80, I love watching our offense. Maybe that's why Gilmer fans pack the stands even at road games. Offense sells tickets. And they will be even better if Andrew Hines ever gets over his nagging ankle sprain. Word is he is not going to play against Mineola Friday night. I say we should rest him the rest of the regular season to let him heal up. We don't lose much with Jeremy Skinner in there at tailback. He has been a real pleasant surprise.

IMHO, Derek McKenzie would be the undisputed Class 3A all-state QB if it weren't for McGee of Burnet getting so much press. McGee may be better; I just haven't seen him play to be able to compare him to Derek. I don't think I've ever seen a high school QB pick apart defenses like DMc can. And he is a much tougher runner this season than he was last year. I attribute that to his 20-pound weight gain during the off season and it hasn't slowed him down a bit. He's 4.6 in the 40.

Gilmer is going to have to outscore some folks to get very far in the playoffs. The defense is trying its best and seemed to put it all together against Mount Vernon, but we miss not having No. 55 from last season, Jared Baker, to plug up the middle. And we are missing Jose Ibarra at linebacker (season ended with knee injury in one of the scrimmages).

One problem is that the offense scores so quickly that it leaves the defense on the field for two-thirds of the game. As problems go, this is a good one to have.

Buckeye80
10-21-2003, 04:15 PM
I couldn't agree more with leaving Andrew out until the playoffs. We DON'T need him against Mineola or Rains, and we beat Lindale last year without him. As for Derek, I'm sure you remember seeing him warm up in the '01 playoff game against Pleasant Grove. All I could think was, "Wow, this kid is going to be something!!" I've had the pleasure of sitting in front of his Dad and Grandfather at two of the games this season, and it's hilarious to see that they are even surprised by some of the things he does on the field. I think you honestly have to contribute alot of his success to Jeff Traylor. If you look at two specific picks he has thrown this year (1 against Gladewater, and 1 against Winnsboro), he was throwing the ball to a spot where his receiver is supposed to be. He does have excellent vision, but sometimes he has a small tendency to throw without fully accounting for every defender. He is definitely a top 3 QB in 3A and I believe a top 25 state QB at any classification. Go Buckeyes!!!!