PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Monahans-FT. Stockton thread

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 07:56 AM
any insight on the game Friday? Stockton won a long road trip game despite having 4 turnovers within the 4 yard line. This game could of been real ugly. The Fort Stockton side is pretty much sold out. expect both sides to be capacity because monahans fans travel with the best of them. Special gates have been installed to allow for better traffic flow for advance ticket holders.

justlikesports
10-26-2006, 08:18 AM
I am sure both sides of the stadium will be full and loud. I think it is going to be one heck of a game. The rivalry is intense and this game is for the district lead, so anything is possible. I gotta go with the Loboes! Go M-Town! Hope it is an injury free game for both teams. Also want to wish both bands Good Luck on Saturday in Plainview! And as always, GO LOBOES!!!

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 08:24 AM
The lobo band always puts on a great show, I remember last year's playoff game against sweetwater when they did the whole christmas tree deal, looked awesome but I have to go with the Pride of Pantherland Band in the halftime battle! Game is gonna be fun, I got a call yesterday about 2pm letting me now that if I wanted a ticket I needed to get it yesterday because they were almost out. Needless to say I got mine. I cant wait.

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Here is the article from the Fort Stockton Pioneer.....

Despite four fumbles inside the four-yard line and six total turnovers the Fort Stockton Panthers left the New Mexico-Texas border town of Anthony with a win and the District championship on the horizon.

In anything but a smooth outing the Panther defense overcame several offensive miscues and left Tommy Sanches Stadium with a 21-15 victory.
"Our defense is doing as good as we can do right now," said Coach Tom Howard after the game. "We have improved and I believe we are a better team now than we were a few weeks ago."

The good thing is that the Panthers came away without any added injuries. Rough field conditions at Fabens were blamed for two injuries and the conditions in Anthony could have been as treacherous.

Fans knew it might be a long night when on the opening play from scrimmage, a fumble handed the ball back to Anthony after a great defensive stop at the Panthers 31 yard line.

Five plays later the Wildcats were in the end-zone on a short pass from Jose Solis to Johnnie Ortega from the two yard line with 7:41 on the clock. The extra point attempt failed.

In the play that likely led directly to the Panthers victory, with 56 seconds remaining in the first quarter, Rudy Encinas, the Panther nose tackle, fell on a dropped ball in the Anthony end zone tying the score at 6-6. Aaron Castro's kick gave the Panthers a lead as the quarter ended.

The Panther defense was magnificent as they swarmed on practically every tackle.

With 8:38 to go in the first half, M.J. Salmon carried a fourth down play 21-yards for the Panthers second TD. Castro's kick was good again giving the Panthers a 14-6 lead. A lead they would never let get away.

Salmon was the games leading rusher with 152 yards on 12 carries.

Four downs later the Panthers had the ball again, from their own 46 yard line Salmon broke through the line and down the sideline 43-yards only to be bumped out of bounds at the three-yard line. An interception in the end-zone by Anthony's Hector Meraz killed the Panther drive.

The half ended with the Panthers holding their 14-6 lead.

Two questionable pass interference penalties slowed the Fort Stockton attack. However, nothing slowed the Panther defense as they allowed Anthony only 10 plays in the third quarter, including one of the pass interference calls that gave Anthony their only first down in the quarter.

With 2:41 to go in the third Sergio Corral kept the ball himself on a third down play and ran 21 yards for the Panthers final TD. Castro was perfect for the third time giving Fort Stockton a 21-6 lead.

Early in the fourth quarter Anthony fullback Josh Zaragosa went in from the two yard line.

A field goal by Hector Meraz brought the score to the final 21-15. Despite some scary moments the Panthers held on for the victory.

The win set up the game of the year Friday night as Monahans comes to Panther Stadium, in what everyone including Coach Tom Howard feels will be the district championship game. A crowd larger than homecoming night is expected.

justlikesports
10-26-2006, 08:49 AM
I think the game from start to finish will be good, including the halftime shows. I saw the Stockton band last week in Odessa and I was most impressed. Long trip to Plainview Saturday for both bands. As for the game, you never know what will happen, after all it is Monahans/Stockton. The Loboes have the number one offense in Permian Basin (according to Odessa American) going up against the number one defense of the area. Gonna be interesting. Like I said good luck to both teams and both bands!

Ranger Mom
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by justlikesports
I think the game from start to finish will be good, including the halftime shows. I saw the Stockton band last week in Odessa and I was most impressed. Long trip to Plainview Saturday for both bands. As for the game, you never know what will happen, after all it is Monahans/Stockton. The Loboes have the number one offense in Permian Basin (according to Odessa American) going up against the number one defense of the area. Gonna be interesting. Like I said good luck to both teams and both bands!

I want score for score updates...I will do the same!!:)

Cameron Crazy
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I wonder who is going to win this game?:thinking:

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Gonne be good, I will have to give updates ok so be ready! The only bad thing about the bands is that since it is a far trip for both they might leave early, I just like hearing the bands battle and play during the games, make sit exciting. Good luck to the lobo band, my sister is the flag captain for Fort Stockton's band.

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 10:52 AM
No one can accuse Monahans running back Chris Roberson of not taking advantage of the opportunities that are presented to him.

Advertisement

Take last Friday for example. Facing a struggling Fabens team and seeing plenty of running room ahead of him, Roberson torched the Wildcats' defense with 128 yards rushing and five touchdowns on just seven carries in Monahans' 62-0 victory. Roberson pretty much took care of Fabens by himself in the first quarter as he scored four touchdowns in the 35-point first period.

For that impressive performance, Roberson has been named as the Reporter-Telegram's Area Player of the Week.

"Every time he got his number called, he made the most of the opportunities," Monahans coach Mickey Owens said. "He did a good job but he also had some good blocking, which helped him."

Roberson agreed.

"I give it all to my linemen," he said. "I just had perfect blocking up front. It was a great game."

Roberson added that his job is to take advantage of the holes that are opened up for him.

"To me, when the holes open, my mindset is to get there as quick as possible," he said. "And when I get through, I can do the rest in the open field."

Roberson has teamed up this season with fullback Josh Rodriguez to form a formidable backfield for the Loboes. While Rodriguez, a former Player of the Week winner, provides the power up the middle, Roberson provides the quickness.

"It's a great combination," Roberson said. "Me and Josh complement each other really well. When Josh touches the ball, my job is to block for him. And that's the same when I touch the ball, his job is to block for me. It's pretty much the same it was last year with Sam (Graves)."

This season, Roberson has rushed for 636 yards and nine touchdowns on 66 carries. And during the year, he's battled various injuries, including a broken right hand he suffered in practice three weeks ago.

"It really hasn't affected me and I don't let it affect me," said Roberson of the injury.

Roberson doesn't have much time to think about injuries, especially this week as his Loboes (6-1, 3-0 in District 1-3A) take on Fort Stockton (6-1, 3-0) in what could be the game for the district championship.

"I feel good about this game," Roberson said. "Fort Stockton has been one of our rivalry games since junior high and they always talk a lot. Let's just say, I can't wait to play them.

"I feel this is going to be the toughest district game for us and coaches have been telling us that this is going to be for the district championship."

For Roberson, having a good season his senior year would be a great way to finish off his high school career.

"It's real important to me to have a great season because before you know it, the season is over and it's already flown by so fast," Roberson said. "As a senior and a leader on a young team, it's important for me and the team to do our best."

Other notable performances from last week:

-- Preston Midkiff sparked Trinity's 69-24 victory over El Paso Immanuel Christian with 134 yards rushing on 10 carries to go with 4-for-4 passing for 124 yards. Midkiff also accounted for five of the Chargers' touchdowns. Brett Stephens caught three of Midkiff's passes for 106 yards and two scores.

-- In Grady's 62-22 loss to Fort Davis, Taylor Fields led the Wildcats with 225 yards rushing on 35 carries and was 8-of-16 passing for 72 yards. He also rushed for two touchdowns and threw for another.

-- Midland Christian running back Jamison Berryhill continues to shine as he rushed for 116 yards and three TDs on 27 carries in the Mustangs' 35-21 victory over Perryton.

WTF-82
10-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I can't wait.

westtxfballfan
10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
[i]"Despite four fumbles inside the four-yard line and six total turnovers the Fort Stockton Panthers left the New Mexico-Texas border town of Anthony with a win and the District championship on the horizon."[/B]

Nice article. Next week's Fort Stockton Pioneer article will start out: "The sun set on Fort Stockton's District Championship - which was on the horizon just a week ago - as Halloween came early Friday for the Panthers in the form of a green-clad #3 and #8..."

Funk-d-fied
10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
yeeaaaahhhhh..........wwwwrrriigggghhhhttttt...... .

zeus63
10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Fort Stockton Pioneer is all over sports, let me tell ya.

Today's sports headline.

"Panthers Drop Anthony, Ready for Andrews"

http://www.fortstocktonpioneer.com/articles/2006/10/26/news/sports/sports04.txt

Great coverage!!:rolleyes: