PDA

View Full Version : Football at UT-San Antonio?

3afan
10-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Richard Oliver: UTSA calls a blitz to promote its football dreams
Web Posted: 10/07/2006 07:40 PM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

It is turning into one of the better behind-the-scenes contests on the San Antonio sports landscape.
Which high-profile project will allow players to tee it up first, UTSA football or the TPC at San Antonio golf complex?

Discussions on both are moving so glacially, it's fair to wonder whether the NFL or Major League Baseball will open play here first.

Whatever the case, the UTSA athletic department, for its part, isn't waiting around to showcase what it hopes is a winning game plan.

The university already has called for a full-out blitz.

It's coming after you.

UTSA, frustrated over the familiar struggle to establish a lasting identity, even in its own neighborhood, and eager to raise its profile as part of the debated quest to add a football program, is kicking off the most determined marketing campaign in its history.

As a result, over the next few months there will be so many Roadrunner images racing around, you'll feel that you've landed in a Looney Tunes marathon.

And you're the Coyote.

But for athletic director Lynn Hickey, there's nothing cartoonish about it.

UTSA is at a vital crossroads, hoping to break from its commuter-school vibe to establish the kind of destination feel that students experience in Austin and College Station.

Football represents an important path to establishing that legitimacy, but an almost-comical facility infrastructure and laggard spectator interest are major hindrances.

Thus, the university is passing along an important message.

Hey, we're over here. Beep! Beep!

Currently, a football feasibility study sits on the desk of UTSA president Ricardo Romo, talks are continuing on plans to construct a multimillion-dollar sports complex, a women's soccer program has been introduced and headline coaches hired.

The university, which hosts more than 28,300 students and almost as many ambitions regarding its sports programs, knows that it isn't big-time yet.

So, in the meantime, it's doing big-time things.

The effort is born, in large part, of exasperation.

"We would just love to get to the place where you go into a store and beside A&M shirts and UT shirts, you'd also see UTSA stuff," Hickey said. "We go into a restaurant where they have banners hanging up from schools and they don't have ours up — and it's our students eating there. It just drives me crazy."

Thus the in-your-face marketing strategy, initiated last month when a series of commercials were unveiled during regional Fox Sports Net telecasts. It will eventually include a sweeping promotional crusade that utilizes billboard, broadcast, newspaper and Internet advertising, from Facebook.com to its own Web site.

By early next year, UTSA also will reveal what may be a dramatic change to its familiar blue-and-orange logo. Ohio-based Rickabaugh Graphics, which orchestrated an aggressive makeover to Ohio State's emblems, is working with the school to rework its Roadrunners brand, from colors to lettering to logo.

Through it all, UTSA is targeting your wallet, of course, but the grander vision takes aim at your brain.

"I just don't know if people know who we are or what we do," said Eric Buskirk, assistant athletic director for external operations.

It's a familiar lament, and the university has decided to make a desperate rush to change things.

Until football arrives, if ever, UTSA will blitz an evasive target.

You.

Phil C
10-26-2006, 08:33 AM
:clap:

3afan
10-26-2006, 08:44 AM
but, IMO, to be 'legit' they'll need to built an on campus stadium --- no sharing with a HS and no playing at the Alamodome, its too big and there will be too many empty seats

Bandera YaYa
10-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
but, IMO, to be 'legit' they'll need to built an on campus stadium --- no sharing with a HS and no playing at the Alamodome, its too big and there will be too many empty seats I agree and I would love to see this happen.....that campus is really, really nice and a stadium would be a great addition!! I'd support a football team for sure!!GO ROADRUNNERS!!!! :D

Pudlugger
10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Will they go DII or DIAA? Doubt if they go DIII, as that would not allow for athletic scholarships making it difficult to recruit good players.

Hansum Stranger
10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
but, IMO, to be 'legit' they'll need to built an on campus stadium --

Was SMU 'legit' in the early to mid 80's when they played at Texas Staduim?

3afan
10-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Will they go DII or DIAA? Doubt if they go DIII, as that would not allow for athletic scholarships making it difficult to recruit good players.

they have to go D-I, most likely I-AA like the other SLC schools

3afan
10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Was SMU 'legit' in the early to mid 80's when they played at Texas Staduim?

I think you know what I mean .... ;)

Hansum Stranger
10-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I think you know what I mean .... ;)

Yes I do. Just adding a little controversy :D

HM33
10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
They would go DI-AA. I wish they would have had a football team about 2 years ago. I would of went and played there lol. Lots cheaper than where I am now :S

3afan
10-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I-AA Conrefences & Teams

Atlantic 10
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

Big Sky
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Northern Arizona U.
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Weber State

Big South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
VMI

Gateway
Illinois State
Indiana State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State

Great West
Cal Poly
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Ivy
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Pennsylvania
Princeton
Yale

Metro-Atlantic Athletic
Duquesne
Iona
La Salle
Marist
Saint Peter's

Mid-Eastern Athletic
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
N.C. A&T State
S.C. State

Northeast
Albany
Central Connecticut St.
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
Saint Francis
Stony Brook
Wagner

Ohio Valley
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Murray State
Samford
Southeast Missouri St.
Tennessee-Martin
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech

Patriot
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh

Pioneer
Butler
Davidson
Dayton
Drake
Jacksonville
Morehead State
San Diego
Valparaiso

Southern
Appalachian State
Chattanooga
The Citadel
Elon
Furman
Georgia Southern
Western Carolina
Wofford

Southland
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas State-San Marcos

Southwestern Athletic
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Grambling State
Jackson State
Mississippi Valley State
Prairie View A&M
Southern
Texas Southern

Independent
Austin Peay
Central Arkansas
Savannah State
Winston-Salem State

Old Tiger
10-26-2006, 12:38 PM
UTSA FOOTBALL - STILL UNDEFEATED!!!

JHS_c/o_06'
10-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Undefeated since 1969 :D

Yeah...i go to UTSA....and while i would love to see football here.

1. I will be in Austin next year (finally) so it doesnt really matter to me.

2. I dont think we have the 'fans' to have something like that here. Hell.....we dont even have a good greek life here. We just started a chapter of Sigma Pi on campus and (we are the new guys) are running away with the lead for Greek Week.

But they are right, a football team (thats good) would help us become 'legit'. Dont get me wrong, great school, great people, great town, beautiful campus. But i just dont think that i could take pride in the fact (if i were to) that i graduated from UTSA. No offense to people who are going or graduated from sister schools. But its just like saying, you had to settle for second best. In my opinion anyways.

stxfootballfan
10-26-2006, 02:31 PM
UTSA basketball is part of the Southland, right? If they got a football team wouldnt it make sense for them to play football in the Southland conference?

3afan
10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53374