PDA

View Full Version : My Trip to Louisiana (including New Orleans)

Phil C
10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
In 1998 we took a trip to Louisiana for Thanksgiving. We left on Wednesday. It was my wife and two boys along with her brother and his wife and daughter and my wife's sister. We went in her brother's van but shared the gasoline expenses. We got into Louisiana around 1 P.M. We grove to Alexandra and then turned south to Houma, Louisiana where my sister's cousin worked and stayed with them at their house. On Wednesday night we went to her cousin's church for a nice service then returned to his house where the ladies worked on Thanksgiving meal. The next day we enjoyed a meal and then my wife's cousin showed us around Houma and the surrounding area along with the great mansions that you see and hear about. The next day my wife's cousin took us to New Orleans and he took us downdown and we saw the Dome Stadium. Everything was awesome. He really showed us New Orleans. I would have been satisfied to have just gone there and turned back but he said "I want you to see New Orleans. Not just say you have been there." It was awesome indeed. The only regret was that since it was Thanksgiving there were no cajun food places open to eat some cajun food that Friday and Saturday but you can't have everything.
The next day was Saturday and it was time to go back home. My sister's sister and her brother's daughter rode with her cousin's wife because she is from Corpus Christi and she was going to visit some kinfolks there. The rest of us came in the van. We crossed the Sabine River into Texas about noon and after stopping to eat we headed south to Sinton ariviving in Sinton just before dark.

carter08
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
My Dad was born in Houma back in 1954

Phil C
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by carter08
My Dad was born in Houma back in 1954

Awesome city carter. One thing is that there at Thanksgiving it starts getting dark in Sinton about 6 P.M. and about 10 minutes later it is very dark. In Houma it starts getting dark about 5:30 P.M. since it is farther east.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
and that concludes this edition of story time with Phil/PhiI/Bill/The Godfather/the Matador....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CenTexSports
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Phil, I think you have a lot in common with my grandfather that passed away earlier this year. He was a truck driver for 50 years and he had hundreds of stories he liked to tell. Several years ago my parents had to put him in a rest home. After he was there for a few months, I asked my mother how he liked it and she said he loved it because there were a hundred people there that had never heard his stories.

I believe that we are you rest home!

Phil C
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and that concludes this edition of story time with Phil/PhiI/Bill/The Godfather/the Matador....

:)

44INAROW
10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
My late daddy was born in Baton Rouge in 1932 and moved to Alexandria in 1938 after his mother died of pheumonia - he graduated from Bolton High School in Alex and then went to the Navy and then to Louisiana Tech on a Track scholarship (Discus I think) along with the GI Bill. My mom is from Monroe and she graduated from La Tech as well........ They are commonly referred to as "Stump Jumpers" - "Coon Asses" are folks that live south of Alexandria and "Stump Jumpers" live north of Alex... (or that's the way it was told to me)

*** not sure what this has to do with 3A Football, - oh that's right, it's BYE week - a freebie for Non football posts :D

Originally posted by Adidas410s

still waiting on pictures :p

shankbear
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
The last time I was in New Orleans a pigeon crapped on my best friends sweater while we were having coffee and beignettes at Cafe du Monde. It was a white sweater. His wife and my wife and I almost fell out on the street when it happened. He is sure that Hurricane Katrina killed that freakin pigeon.

Phil, was there an "act" there when you went with a ...woman??????? named Chris Owens? Has anybody ever seen her??????? it???? Google her. I wouldn't Google her with your mouse.........lol

Phil C
10-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Phil, I think you have a lot in common with my grandfather that passed away earlier this year. He was a truck driver for 50 years and he had hundreds of stories he liked to tell. Several years ago my parents had to put him in a rest home. After he was there for a few months, I asked my mother how he liked it and she said he loved it because there were a hundred people there that had never heard his stories.

I believe that we are you rest home!

;)

Phil C
10-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
My late daddy was born in Baton Rouge in 1932 and moved to Alexandria in 1938 after his mother died of pheumonia - he graduated from Bolton High School in Alex and then went to the Navy and then to Louisiana Tech on a Track scholarship (Discus I think) along with the GI Bill. My mom is from Monroe and she graduated from La Tech as well........ They are commonly referred to as "Stump Jumpers" - "Coon Asses" are folks that live south of Alexandria and "Stump Jumpers" live north of Alex... (or that's the way it was told to me)

*** not sure what this has to do with 3A Football, - oh that's right, it's BYE week - a freebie for Non football posts :D

still waiting on pictures :p

Unfortunately we didn't take pictures on that trip. I don't know why. Of course I don't know how to put them on the downlow. The pictures on my matador acomplishments didn't come out well even though one was barely passable.

txkmom
10-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm from Shreveport and went to college in New Orleans for 4 years. Love the place, and always wanted to live there again - until Katrina happened. I stay in touch with old friends there, and my cousin lives there, so I get updates. It's coming back, but there's so much gone...

Phil C
10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
I'm from Shreveport and went to college in New Orleans for 4 years. Love the place, and always wanted to live there again - until Katrina happened. I stay in touch with old friends there, and my cousin lives there, so I get updates. It's coming back, but there's so much gone...

:(

3afan
10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I went to the New Orleans Bowl in December '05 - had a blast