PDA

View Full Version : Columbia at Needville

carter08
10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Game is at 7:30 Friday Night in Needville

Winner should make the playoffs and go D1

FYI- Columbia Band will not be at the game due to Marching Contest in Corpus. I wish them luck.

Too bad they won't get to see the whooping the Necks will be putting on the Bluejays :D

Columbia 24 Needville 10

Gobbla2001
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Not to be confused with Columbus...

I'll take the Necks in this one...

htowntransplant
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
i wouldnt underestimate those jays. they can flat out run the ball.

Pudlugger
10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Hard to pick this one. Columbia is a breakout team and may ruin Needville's season. Needville by a td.

Blastoderm55
10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Needville beat a 4A Port Lavaca Calhoun team that has been lighting up a lot of people. It was in week one though, so this should be a pretty even game.

Bull19
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE DISTRICT STANDINGS FOR THEM ARE

g$$
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
WC in a close one. Both teams have stud RBs. If WC avoids turnovers, I think they win 27-20.

Plus WC is fighting for their playoff life right now. Needville still has Wharton left as well.

g$$
10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
From WOS 87: Region III Breakdown as of now & projections

DISTRICT 24 Standings after Week 7
(numbers in parentheses are enrollment ranking)

(5) Sweeny 4-0 (5-2)
(6) Wharton 4-0 (5-2)
(3) Needville 3-1 (6-1)
(1) West Columbia 2-2 (3-4)
(8) Brookshire Royal 1-3 (2-5)
(4) Sealy 1-3 (1-6)
(2) Stafford 1-3 (1-6)
(7) Columbus 0-4 (2-5)

There are 12 remaining district matchups:

Remaining District Games Ranked from Most Predictable to Least Predictable
(using Massey Ratings probability percentage)

Wharton favored over Columbus (Wk 9) 93%
Sweeny favored over Columbus (Wk 10) 92%
Sweeny favored over Brookshire Royal (Wk 9) 91%
West Columbia favored over Brookshire Royal (Wk 10) 86%
Needville favored over Stafford (Wk 9) 85%
Sealy favored over Brookshire Royal (Wk 8) 78%
Sealy favored over Stafford (Wk 10) 76%
West Columbia favored over Sealy (Wk 9) 71%
Stafford favored over Columbus (Wk 8) 59%
Needville favored over West Columbia (Wk 8) 54%
Needville favored over Wharton (Wk 10) 54%
Wharton minutely favored over Sweeny (Wk 8) >50%

Most Likely Final Standings

Division I - (3) Needville 6-1 (9-1)
Division II Top Seed - (5) Sweeny 6-1 (7-3)
Division II Runnerup - (6) Wharton 6-1 (7-3)
(1) West Columbia 4-3 (5-5)
(4) Sealy 3-4 (3-7)
(2) Stafford 2-5 (2-8)
(8) Brookshire Royal 1-6 (2-8)
(7) Columbus 0-7 (2-8)

PROJECTED 3A REGION III PLAYOFF MATCHUPS

Division I

Gatesville (9-1) vs. Hutto (9-1)
Palestine (9-1) vs. Carthage (9-1)
Silsbee (8-2) vs. Splendora (5-5)
Bellville (8-2) vs. Needville (9-1)

Division II

Waco La Vega (7-3) vs. Cameron Yoe (6-4)
Palestine Westwood (8-2) vs. Diboll (7-3)
West Orange-Stark (10-0) vs. Liberty (4-6)
Giddings (10-0) vs. Wharton (7-3)
Robinson (7-3) vs. Liberty Hill (6-3)
Madisonville (7-3) vs. Crockett (6-4)
Kirbyville (7-3) vs. Coldspring (8-2)
La Grange (8-2) vs. Sweeny (7-3)

Last edited by WOS87 on 10-25-2006 at 03:22 AM

tigerpride_08
10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
a big game for both clubs friday...but i would like to say if W.C. can hold on to the ball it could go their favor...

Specklebelly
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
This is a really interesting matchup. Im sure both teams view this as a must win to get into the playoffs. Neither team has really beaten anyone good this year. Needville beat what appears to be a good Port Lavaca Calhoun team early in the year (putting good and Calhoun in the same sentence just doesnt look right) and that's it. LOL, I just cant give Calhoun credit for being good just yet. Meanwhile, Columbia has three wins this year against opponents that are a combined 4-17. They have not beat anyone good all year either.

Both teams are going to focus on running the ball and preventing the other team from running the ball. Games like this typically come down to which quarterback plays better. This is a really tough game to call. It should be a good one

nexfan
10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Anybody know the head to head win loss record with these two teams in the last couple of years? I'm guessing its rather one sided in the roughnecks favor but I could be wrong! Columbia wins... too many athletes to lose to Needville!!

carter08
10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by nexfan
Anybody know the head to head win loss record with these two teams in the last couple of years? I'm guessing its rather one sided in the roughnecks favor but I could be wrong! Columbia wins... too many athletes to lose to Needville!!

Columbia's won the last 3 for sure
I think they won in 2002 also, but not sure

fireman1
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Needville beat a 4A Port Lavaca Calhoun team

I wouldn't say Calhoun is a good team, yes they are 4A but so is Brazosport

g$$
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Guys, we're talking about Calhoun here. Maybe they are better this year - but it's still Calhoun. Not good & few athletes.

maestro
10-25-2006, 07:55 PM
needville beats columbia....

yes, needville frontrunner to go d. one..

then , sweeny and then.....

can wharton get in with those 2 losses???

isn't predicting fun????

fans of all these communities really need to go out and support these athletes.

g$$
10-25-2006, 08:05 PM
So you're predicting Wharton will lose to Sweeny & then Needville? Then it may go to tiebreakers right if WC wins out? And Wharton would have head to head over WC...could also have Needville in the tiebreaker if WC beats Needville.

Sweeny
Needville
Wharton / WC

??

tigerpride_08
10-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by maestro
needville beats columbia....

yes, needville frontrunner to go d. one..

then , sweeny and then.....

isn't predicting fun????

fans of all these communities really need to go out and support these athletes.

who said us having 2 losses... :thinking: not to turn this about wharton but don't count us to lose already...

fireman1
10-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Sweeny also has 2 losses... its about to be 3 after Friday, and Columbia is going to win against Needville Friday

maestro
10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
we're talking district losses....

not season losses...

and yes, i'm just adding fuel to the prediction fires.....

tigerpride_08
10-25-2006, 08:12 PM
we're talking district losses....

not season losses...

and yes, i'm just adding fuel to the prediction fires.....

that you are...

fireman1
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Wharton will finish 7-0 in district

Sweeny will finish 6-1

Columbia will finish 5-2

Needville will finish 4-3

tigerpride_08
10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
well in the other threads the massey ratings has us tigers favored in the rest of our games...so who knows how the district will end up

fireman1
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
this is one crazy district who will put 4 great teams in the same district? but thats what makes it exciting

nexfan
10-25-2006, 08:34 PM
A couple of the reg. 4 districts and I'm sure there are others have only 4 teams! So basically you win one district game and your in the playoffs!! (You might be going a little over board with the 4 great teams thing.) Its more like 4 evenly matched teams!!

IHStangFan
10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Needville, call it a feeling. I feel the Jays are being grossly underestimated.

fireman1
10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
the Bluejays are a good team and after the Columbus game the Tigers will have to settle down and practice hard for this game also, the better team will win this one

Uncle Buck
10-25-2006, 11:11 PM
It will be a hard fought game. I do think Columbia will hang on and win this one late. The Jays will then have to win out and I think they will.

Columbia- 24
Needville- 21

maybe

Possibly..

Who knows. I just hope the Dogs can compete with Wharton. It seems most everyone has conceded vistory to the Tigers.

g$$
10-26-2006, 02:37 AM
Who cares about non-district losses now Fireman? They don't mean squat in district play.

Let 'em think that way Uncle Buck. Sweeny plays better with something to prove anyway. GATA DOGS

I see tiebreakers potentially on the horizon to determine the final spots. What if WC, Needville, & Wharton all finish 5-2 in district & have beaten each other? What is after head to head, points for & against? Margin of victory?

I think it is +/- on margin of victory or defeat among the teams involved after head to head match-ups.

Sweeny finishes with Columbus & Royal (after Wharton).

pancho villa
10-26-2006, 07:41 AM
Columbia is getting 3 key players back from injury this week.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Needed, PM me a Cell#. Want to keep up with this one.

fireman1
10-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Who cares about non-district losses now Fireman? They don't mean squat in district play.

where did you get that from non-district dont mean a thing when it comes to the playoffs and thats all Im worry about. What 3 teams are going to be in the playoffs at the end

nexfan
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Let 'em think that way Uncle Buck. Sweeny plays better with something to prove anyway. GATA DOGS

I see tiebreakers potentially on the horizon to determine the final spots. What if WC, Needville, & Wharton all finish 5-2 in district & have beaten each other? What is after head to head, points for & against? Margin of victory?

I think it is +/- on margin of victory or defeat among the teams involved after head to head match-ups.

Sweeny finishes with Columbus & Royal (after Wharton).

How do you see WC, Needville and Wharton all being 5-2? WC wins out...there 5-2. Needville loses to WC and Wharton...there 5-2. Who do you see Wharton losing to besides Sweeny?

nexfan
10-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Here's a little 24-3A insight on Friday's matchups!!!

The Facts

Published October 26, 2006

SWEENY — The Sweeny Bulldogs weren’t supposed to contend for the District 24-3A crown.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football had them pegged to finish fourth in the district race. Somebody forgot to pass the word along to Sweeny.

With only nine returning starters from last season, Sweeny (5-2, 4-0) is sitting atop the district standings with three games to play, tied with Wharton (5-2, 4-0). The Bulldogs and Tigers will grapple at Tiger Stadium on Friday with a playoff spot going to the winner, as well as the upperhand for the 24-3A title.

“The winner, I think, gets in and the worst that can happen is lose the last two and tie for the tiebreaker,” Sweeny head coach Tommy Zajicek said. “We are glad to be here, and it should be a big night with both of us going in at 4-0. When you are in the thick of things, it isn’t hard to get the kids up — opposed to when you are not and trying to motivate the team. We’ve had a good week of practice and preparation and are hoping it carries over into the ball game.”

The Bulldogs will encounter a Tiger offense that has scored 142 points in four district games. Of the 2,135 total offensive yards Wharton has gained on the year, quarterback Joel Ansley has accounted for 1,465.

“The biggest thing that they have going for them is team speed,” Zajicek said. “They will have the most speed of any team we’ve faced so far this year. Joel Ansley makes them go. He will hurt you with his arm or legs. He is just a good high school football player.”

Ansley has rushed for more than 100 yards in each of the first four district games with his highest total of 172 yards coming against Columbia. In that game, Ansley’s final two yards helped defeat the Roughnecks 33-27 in overtime. For the year, the 5-foot-11, 175-pound speedster has 814 rushing yards on 127 carries. He is averaging 6.35 a carry and has crossed the goal line 15 times on a run.

Through the air, Ansley ranks second in district. He has completed 60 passes for 651 yards and eight touchdowns.

“He is a lot like Melvin White from Brazosport, because he can throw and run,” Zajicek said. “But he is very unpredictable because he will take off and then stop and throw.”

Half of Ansley’s completions have gone to Jamial Shelton, who leads the district with 398 yards in receptions. Shelton has scored five touchdowns and has a 13.27 yards-per-catch average.

“Jamial has been an all-district receiver the last three years and we’ll have to mix up things with him defensively,” Zajicek said. “If we try to double him, the other guys will hurt you. I know that he has a bum ankle, but that just gave the coaching staff a way to throw in some other players to make plays.”

Wharton has fumbled the ball away 11 times, while Sweeny has given up nine fumbles.

On defense, a pair of Wharton linebackers lead the team’s tackling. Kevin Turner has 18 solo tackles and 41 assists, while Thomas Garcia has 26 solo stops and 18 assists. Defensive back Kenneth Phynon has 39 tackles, 15 assists and has intercepted three passes.

“The same speed they have on offense, they have on defense,” Zajicek said. “But they have bulk, too, with tackle Donavan Haynes. For us to contain them, we have to prevent them from making big scores. They are the type of team that will get into a lull, but when they get in rhythm they will score at will.”

Sweeny’s defense is second in District 24-3A, allowing 193.9 yards per game.

“The defense is going to have to play well because this offense will spread you out,” Zajicek said. “With the different looks that we give Wharton, our secondary and front contain guys will have to make plays.”

Brandon Smith is the Bulldogs leading rusher with 863 yards.

Game time is 7:30 p.m. Friday in Wharton.

Also in a big matchup Friday, Columbia (2-5, 2-2) plays at Needville (6-1, 3-1) in a must-win game. A loss, and the two-time reining district champion will be eliminated from the playoff race.

Needville leads the district both offensively and defensively with 361.3 yards of offense per game while holding opponents to 189.9 yards.

The Columbia offense is third among district teams, averaging 315.9 yards per game. The defense is yielding 200.7 yards.

Thadeus Wilkerson leads the Bluejay ground attack with 1,084 yards on 124 carries. Wilkerson has scored 16 touchdowns. After coming off an injury, Jared Flannel is getting back into shape and leading the Roughneck attack with 458 yards on 66 carries.

Game time is 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bluejay Stadium.

In other 24-3A action, Stafford (1-6, 1-3) is at Columbus (2-5, 0-4) and Royal (2-5, 1-3) at Sealy (1-6, 1-3).

LHPfactory
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess from that projection, Hutto is supposed to beat us tomorrow?

nexfan
10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
What projection?

Tiger3
10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I think it will be Wharton, Sweeny, and Columbia.

fireman1
10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Tiger3
I think it will be Wharton, Sweeny, and Columbia.

agreed and in that order

g$$
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Fireman: I am still confused on how you think non-district losses affect playoff seedings? All that matters is how you finish in district. 3 make it, then highest enrollment goes D1, & other 2 are seeded based on how they finished in the race for D2. Total won/loss record records only affects state rankings / Massey/ Harris/ etc., which don't mean squat come playoff time.

On possible scenarios & obviously hypothetical right now:

WC could finish 5-2 if they win out.

Wharton could finish 5-2 if they lose to Sweeny & Needville.

Needville could finish 5-2 if they lose to WC (already lost to Sweeny).

**Sweeny could be in this mix if they drop 2 games also, but less likely given schedule of Wharton, Columbus, & Royal.

Thus, tiebreakers come into play because head to head is out since they all would have beaten each other. I think +/- is used among competing teams at that point but I could be wrong. Each district sets their tiebreakers.

Right?

Tiger3
10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
What if Wharton, Needville, and Sweeny all finish 6-1. Each beating the other, this is also a possible scenario?

Sweeny looses to Wharton and then wins out.

Needville wins out.

Wharton beats Sweeny and Columbus, but looses to Needvile.

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Good point.

In that case, WC is eliminated obviously & you go to tiebreakers. Needville would be D1, & the others D2 with seeding to be determined. Giddings looms 1st round for runner-up in D2!

carter08
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
You all bring up good points

But you forgot one thing

Columbia is going to win their final 3 games with ease

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
No I did not - I have that scenario above with WC winning out to go 5-2 in district.

And I even wished you luck!

fireman1
10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Fireman: I am still confused on how you think non-district losses affect playoff seedings?

when did I ever say non-distric losses affect the playoff race

g$$
10-26-2006, 05:56 PM
You referenced # of losses, maybe I misunderstood you, no big deal. We are on the same page.

htowntransplant
10-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Needville, call it a feeling. I feel the Jays are being grossly underestimated.
so do i. you are what your record is. columbia is 3-4, needville is 6-1, with a win over a pretty good PLC team. thadeus wilkerson is a monster.

tigerpride_08
10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
so do i. you are what your record is. columbia is 3-4, needville is 6-1, with a win over a pretty good PLC team. thadeus wilkerson is a monster.

im still confused how people figure Calhoun is a good team... :confused:

Uncle Buck
10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Pancho and Lefty...................Spoon, Crank, Mac, Senor, Crapbuster...........Good luck.....and God Speed.

IHStangFan
10-27-2006, 07:06 PM
We're headed out now.....gonna sit on the Needville side. I'll be wearing a yellow Terlingua Ranch shirt.....be sure to stop by and give me money :D

IHStangFan
10-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Didn't end up and make the game got called in to work does anyone have the final?

awizzy
10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Didn't end up and make the game got called in to work does anyone have the final?
look down a few...i made a thread but columbia 31 needville 10