PDA

View Full Version : Texas @ Texas Tech

Old Tiger
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Who wins and why? Please do not turn this into a pissing match. Because we know who has the piss power. :D j/k For real no pissing match please.

Texas 35
Tech - 17

Texas front 4 will pressure Harrell into making bad decisions and throws causing in turnovers. On offense Tech will not be able to stop UT's ground game and if they play up on it hopefully Greg Davis will call some playaction passes and hit receivers deep.

coach
10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
tech isnt very good but they are playin at home i got

texas 42
tech 28

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I posted this in another thread...

if it was in Austin...I wouldn't have mentioned it. However, look at the scores when the game has been in Lubbock:

2004...51-21 Texas (with VY though! ;))
2002...42-38 Texas Tech (the King vs Chrissy)
2000...29-17 Texas (1st year for Leach)
1998...42-35 Texas Tech (1st year for Mack)
1996...38-32 Texas (under Mackovic)

In fact, you have to go all the way back to the 90 and 92 games to find a time when either team won two consecutive games in Lubbock.

Notice that before the VY game, the final margin has been 12 points or less in every other game. Expect a close contest.

Texas 31
Tech 28

BreckTxLonghorn
10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
The line (for all you non-gamblers, like me:D is only at 12. This is what I like to call a "trap game."

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
The line (for all you non-gamblers, like me:D is only at 12. This is what I like to call a "trap game."

exactly...I don't bet but I've been giving some info to a friend that.

g$$
10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Texas just has too many athletes for Tech, even with the Horn defense pretty banged up. Tech hangs around for a while in Lubbock but Texas pulls away. Only chance for Tech is turnovers & getting the crowd into it late 2nd half.

Texas 45
Tech 27

AggieJohn
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
tech will keep this close, they are playing to the level of their opponents this year

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
tech will keep this close, they are playing to the level of their opponents this year

true...true...other than SMU and SELA.

BMOC
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I honestly think that this game is going to be a whole lot tighter then most people think.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I am going to scream if we keep running that crappy zone read to the tailbacks.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

why??? It sure seems to work even when you know they are getting the ball. In case you missed it...A&M kept handing it off up the middle with JaPorky and it got the job done against Tech to the tune of 250+ team rushing yards.

wedo
10-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

texas does need to pound it more!!! And they need to get henry melton going also!!

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by wedo
texas does need to pound it more!!! And they need to get henry melton going also!!

yeah he has been noticably absent from the gameplan lately...

wedo
10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
yeah he has been noticably absent from the gameplan lately...

Even in short yardage !! he needs to be in there in goal in shortyardage now that lokey isn't going to be blocking anymore!

Emerson1
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I will be at this game. Look for a little orange dot in the Tech section.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Melton would have been useful twice late in the game last weekend.

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Melton fell out of favor with Mack & staff long ago. Too upright & no lean. He only plays in garbage time. Kid is an athlete who still may change positions (6'3" 270+ lbs.). Maybe DE in near future. He has 2 years left. A&M recruited him as a defensive player.

Texas will continue to run the zone read. It is the trendy offense going right now. Nothing more than modern day triple option if you break it down (out of 2 back set or motion WR as pitch man). Pretty basic but hard to defend because it is assignment football. One bust & off you go. You see lots of teams running draws & counters off it now too.

JasperDog94
10-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes.

Emerson1
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
He needs to learn to lower his shoulder and run through people. I have read the coaches are not confident in him at all, he tries to juke and play like Charles or Selvin.

JasperDog94
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Melton fell out of favor with Mack & staff long ago. Oh. That answers my question.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Melton fell out of favor with Mack & staff long ago. Too upright & no lean. He only plays in garbage time. Kid is an athlete who still may change positions (6'3" 270+ lbs.). Maybe DE in near future. He has 2 years left. A&M recruited him as a defensive player.

Texas will continue to run the zone read. It is the trendy offense going right now. Nothing more than modern day triple option if you break it down (out of 2 back set or motion WR as pitch man). Pretty basic but hard to defend because it is assignment football. One bust & off you go. You see lots of teams running draws & counters off it now too.

don't forget the zone trap...I've been seeing some of that as well.

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Exactly Emerson. He is a power guy trying to run like Charles.

Kid is a specimen though. Word out of hs was probable head case. Seems that way now too.

Emerson1
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I don't think anyone wants to see him in long yardage situations. But if you get inside the 5 twice, you should get more than 3 points with a 270 lb running back and a FB who can bench press 515 pounds.

I can't beleive I am saying this, but he needs to get some tape of Jorvorski Lane and do what he does. Run over people.

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Sure Adidas. You can run draws, counters, traps, & dives out of the zone read package. Pull the backside G & T for the counter trey. Football is football.

Then play action pass off that.

Texas ran more counter action against OU because their LBs were scraping hard & flowing to the ball. So Davis used that against them in the 2nd half & it worked, which then opened up the passing game.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sure Adidas. You can run draws, counters, traps, & dives out of the zone read package. Pull the backside G & T for the counter trey. Football is football.

Then play action pass off that.

Texas ran more counter action against OU because their LBs were scraping hard & flowing to the ball. So Davis used that against them in the 2nd half & it worked, which then opened up the passing game.

You better not go giving Davis credit for recognizing a weakness and exploiting it. That'll get you ripped by some in these parts! ;)

I like the comparison of the zone read to the old wishbone/triple option. The shotgun element definitely gives you a lot more options as to what you can do with the formation...plus having the ability to offset the backs, drag wideouts in as wings, double and triple stack with a TE/WR combination...it's just too much fun! :D

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
WHOA - did someone on this board just give Lane some credit?

Stop the presses! Lane only is among the leaders in scoring TDs nationally. With Goodson/Lewis + Lane, A&M has a little thunder & lightning working now. McGee had 86 yds. rushing & 192 passing last week too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A&M's defense - ugh!

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Melton does not have the feet, balance, or vision of Lane.

See one handed catch against OK State for proof on 4th & 13. Or the way he makes people miss in the hole. Kid may be pudgy, but he is talented. Even y'all have to admit that.

A&M can score points.

Defense still blows, but better than last year's debacle. Of course, they could only go up from 107th nationally overall & 117th against the pass!

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
WHOA - did someone on this board just give Lane some credit?

Stop the presses! Lane only is among the leaders in scoring TDs nationally. With Goodson/Lewis + Lane, A&M has a little thunder & lightning working now. McGee had 86 yds. rushing & 192 passing last week too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A&M's defense - ugh!

I think they should try giving Lane 25+ carries one game and see what happens. They all say that he's capable of taking on a full load. His HS coach said he reaches his best after about 18 carries....so why not give it a try???

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Agreed, I have said that all along. Against Mizzou they finally did & he went for 127 yds. & controlled the clock (41:30 to 18:30 TOP). A&M's best defense is their offense, plain & simple.

OK State loaded up to stop Lane & opened everything up for Lewis, Goodson, & McGee. Plus the passing game too. Both TEs had TD catches, etc.

Lane is the key to A&M's offense either directly or indirectly.

Team speed on defense still lacking big-time though.

Old Tiger
10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
They are averaging 6 a pop with the zone read. They should however vary the offense up and use multitple sets.