PDA

View Full Version : Decatur/Sweetwater ???

Gsquared
10-25-2006, 07:54 AM
How did this game play out? I know Decatur won but can somebody sumarize the game for me??

SWMustang
10-25-2006, 08:04 AM
here's the game write up from the sweetwater reporter

Eagles take advantage of Sweetwater mistakes

Written by Ben Barkley Sweetwater Reporter

BROWNWOOD — Decatur took advantage of everything it was given which led to a 40-26 win over Sweetwater Thursday night at the Gordon Wood Classic.
From the opening kickoff to the final seconds, the Eagles used Mustang miscues to score the win — a win Decatur had to come from behind after trailing 20-10 at halftime.
“This is not a hard game,” said Sweetwater head coach Kent Jackson. “You cannot make mistakes.”
The Sweetwater coach said his team did not play its best game in the first half, but was happy with a 20-10 lead.
“They were very opportunistic,” he said of Decatur. “No matter who we play, we are going to get better.”
And Jackson said the loss will hurt the No. 8 Mustangs, who fell to 2-1 on the season.
“We learned a lot of things tonight,” he said. “Some of those things — if they happen in district — will hurt you. This one is going to sting a little bit. We are going to let it sting for a little while and get ready for Canyon.”
And with an extra day off, Jackson and the Mustangs will begin preparing for the Canyon Eagles.
“We have our work cut out for us. We will be ready,” he said.
Sweetwater received the opening kickoff, but a big hit forced a fumble and Decatur had the first possession. It was the first of many mistakes for Sweetwater on special teams in the game.
The Eagles (3-0) took advantage of the field position — the Sweetwater 19 — and scored on the game’s third play. Quarterback Brandon Cobb scored on a 6-yard run and Kristo Cardenas added the extra point kick to give Decatur a 7-0 lead.
But Sweetwater would not be denied on its first official offensive possession. Starting at its own 25, the Mustangs drove down the field and tied the game with 8:12 left in the first quarter.
Duone Cunnings capped off the drive with a 1-yard run and James Beckwith tied the contest with the extra point kick.
After the teams exchanged punts, Sweetwater’s offense found its stride again. A 61-yard scoring drive was capped off when Skye Green — who did not play last week against Brownwood — scored on a 6-yard run. Beckwith added the extra point kick to give Sweetwater a 14-7 lead with 11 minutes remaining in the first half.
Decatur came right back and Cardenas hit a 31--yard field goal to cut the lead to 14-10 with 7:12 remaining.
The Mustangs used the clock and a key roughing the kicker penalty on a punt to add to its lead. The five minute drive covered 47 yards and Joseph Banyard scored on a 13-yard run to give Sweetwater the 20-10 lead.
After holding the Eagles on the next possession, Sweetwater moved the ball down the field and Beckwith was called on to attempt a 52-yard field goal. However, the kick was short and Sweetwater carried the 20-10 lead into halftime.
The second half started with the Mustang defense continuing to hold Decatur in check.
But the Eagle defense forced a Sweetwater punt on its first series. On the punt, a bad snap went past Rufus McCann and Jake Cobb recovered the ball in the end zone for the score. Cardenas added the kick to cut the lead to 20-17.
A special teams’ mistake on the kickoff resulted in Decatur regaining possession. Cardenas pooched the ball and the Eagles recovered at the Sweetwater 34.
Sweetwater held the Eagles and on a third down play in the series, but was called for a personal foul and the Eagles kept possession of the ball. Sweetwater also held on a second third down attempt and Cardenas was called in for a 37-yard field goal. The kick fell short, but the Mustangs were whistled for roughing the kicker — which resulted in a first down..
On the next play, Brandon Cobb scored on a 10-yard run to give the Eagles a 23-20 lead.
Sweetwater came right back as Banyard ran 47-yards on first down to the Eagle one. He then took the ball in from there to give Sweetwater a 26-20 lead with 3:22 left in the third quarter.
The Mustang defense held on the ensuing series, but a fumble gave the ball back to the Eagles.
Decatur drove 62 yards to tie the game on Cardenas’ 45-yard field goal.
On the kickoff, a pooch kick was recovered by the Eagles and it did not take long for the score. Cardenas caught a 10-yard pass from Brandon Cobb as Decatur took a 33-26 lead.
After forcing a punt, Decatur added a late score on Brandon Cobb’s 41-yard run with 1:52 left in the game.
With a comeback in order, the Eagles intercepted a Cunnings pass and ran out the clock.
Banyard finished with 174 yards on the ground on 20 carries while Green added 76 yards on nine carries. Cunnings finished with 61 yards on 11 carries.
Brandon Cobb completed 13 of his 24 passes for 105 yards, with Cardenas catching eight passes for 72 yards. Brandon Cobb also gained 135 yards on the ground on 24 carried while Josh Trant added 87 yards on 16 carries.
Sweetwater will travel to meet Canyon on Friday, Sept. 22.

Gsquared
10-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Ahhh, cool, thanks!

mustang68
10-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Several turnovers which Decatur capitalized on. Special teams muffed, I can't remember exactly, 3-5 kickoffs.
Decatur did what had to be done with the kickoffs and it paid off for them in the win column.:weeping: :weeping:

Send_the_House
10-25-2006, 09:03 AM
this thread should be closed...

Early, non-district games hardly matter...

smustangs
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Is that some sour milk over there? There is nothing wrong with asking a question.

Gsquared
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Send_the_House

Dang DL natzi, a dude cant even ask about a 3A Football game? Ya know, this is a 3A football board, where else should I ask?

mustang68
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM

I think he knows how lucky/fortunate/________
they were to come out with a W

Underwater Basketweaver
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh....come on...I thought we had finally put this to rest.

mustang68
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Oh....come on...I thought we had finally put this to rest.

Look at the post

No trash talking. just a simple question about the game until this came out. Talk to your own supporters.

NateDawg39
10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Mustangs are GOOD!!!

Ranger Mom
10-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with the question either!!:confused:

NateDawg39
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I think some people are afraid that it will start a conflict like last time... I think it was a good question! Good thread...I like reading about my team winning!!

exbulldog06
10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
theres nothing wrong with the question i was kinda wandering the same thing about the game.

Gsquared
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by exbulldog06
theres nothing wrong with the question i was kinda wandering the same thing about the game.
Bascially, the reason I asked is I am going to the Wylie/Sweetwater game. Havnt seen Sweetwater this year but have seen Decatur. Kinda thought a summary on how Sweetwater played Decatur would give me a little bit of an idea as to what to expect out of Sweetwater. Nothing should be taken away from Decatur, saw them and they are pretty solid.

mustang68
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Obviously Decatur has an excellent team this year or they would not be undefeated.
Only wish we could meet them again.
Abilene Wylie should have no trouble with them should they play post season. IMHO

Tweeder215
10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
Obviously Decatur has an excellent team this year or they would not be undefeated.
Only wish we could meet them again.
Abilene Wylie should have no trouble with them should they play post season. IMHO

I agree, if for no other reason than I know Gary Edwards, I know Wylie's tough D, and more importantly of what I know of Hugh Sandifer.

johnfx24
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
decatur gets ahead of people bexause of the pooch kicks they do. Sweetwater dominated the first half od that game. I read the stats of the sanger game and same deal they had 6 turnovers more than half them were because of pooch kicks. Decatur can be beat if someone can come up with a plan for that cheesy sky high kick off they do for 15 yards

smustangs
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by johnfx24
decatur gets ahead of people bexause of the pooch kicks they do. Sweetwater dominated the first half od that game. I read the stats of the sanger game and same deal they had 6 turnovers more than half them were because of pooch kicks. Decatur can be beat if someone can come up with a plan for that cheesy sky high kick off they do for 15 yards

I dont know why people always complain about it if you can do it and get the ball why not. I dang sure know I would thats just good coaching.

Stownhorse
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

There ya go...thats how you beat them in a nut shell....and stop Cobb of course....

tigerbyheart

Can the receiving team not call fair catch? I'm not sure of the rules on that...

Stownhorse
Originally posted by smustangs
I dont know why people always complain about it if you can do it and get the ball why not. I dang sure know I would thats just good coaching.

Hey nice sig smustang lol

smustangs
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Hey nice sig smustang lol

haha ya

Stownhorse
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Well Im gunna duck out of the line of fire in this thread! This could get violent quick! lol

rangerjim
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Johnfx24, not sure wherre you got your information from on the turnovers from the Sanger game. Sanger fair caught the few pooch kicks Decatur had. Other kicks where through the endzone. All of Decatur's turnovers were earned the old fashioned way - DEFENSE! Never have understood the comments on the pooch anyway. I think it's a great strategy. Limits the number of long returns. Something different that puts a lot of pressure on the reciever even if they call fair catch with eleven defenders surrounding him. It's part of the game. Sweetwater is a better team because of the Decatur pooch.

Bigbuck
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Well put Ranger Jim. A pooch kick is part of the game, also in the sanger game the indians did not fumble any kickoff's, they know how to call for a fair catch.

DU_stud04
10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
decatur gets ahead of people bexause of the pooch kicks they do. that cheesy sky high kick off they do for 15 yards

sweetwater used to do it......

jlwzz
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
decatur gets ahead of people bexause of the pooch kicks they do. Sweetwater dominated the first half od that game. I read the stats of the sanger game and same deal they had 6 turnovers more than half them were because of pooch kicks. Decatur can be beat if someone can come up with a plan for that cheesy sky high kick off they do for 15 yards I dont think you were at the same game as i was, the defense had a lot to do with the turnovers in the Sanger game

the pooch kick has been used by Decatur for years and everybody knows that, so S Water should have been ready for it

APierce248
10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I have been to the majority of the Decatur High School Games this year. Over the past two games they have played (Bridgeport and Sanger), they maybe have been two pooch kicks. The main reason they are getting the turnovers is because they have a great defense. Even when the offense struggles, Like at the Vernon game, their defense is spectacular. I think everyone should give the Eagles defense a lot of credit for all of the turnovers. In the last game against Sanger the Eagles recovered 3 fumbles (5th game in the season they have forced three turnovers). Please limit the trash talking about the Coach Story's philiospohy about the pooch kicks to a minimum or better yet, find some way to stop Decatur from getting the ball on them. Coach Story has changed the momentum of a lot of games with his Kick-off stratagy. This has paid off tremendously, for instance a 43-4 record in the regular season in 4 seasons and 7 games this season. Decatur is a good team, so is Sweetwater. So it's settled?

jlwzz
10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by APierce248
I have been to the majority of the Decatur High School Games this year. Over the past two games they have played (Bridgeport and Sanger), they maybe have been two pooch kicks. The main reason they are getting the turnovers is because they have a great defense. Even when the offense struggles, Like at the Vernon game, their defense is spectacular. I think everyone should give the Eagles defense a lot of credit for all of the turnovers. In the last game against Sanger the Eagles recovered 3 fumbles (5th game in the season they have forced three turnovers). Please limit the trash talking about the Coach Story's philiospohy about the pooch kicks to a minimum or better yet, find some way to stop Decatur from getting the ball on them. Coach Story has changed the momentum of a lot of games with his Kick-off stratagy. This has paid off tremendously, for instance a 43-4 record in the regular season in 4 seasons and 7 games this season. Decatur is a good team, so is Sweetwater. So it's settled? :clap: :clap: i agree

Underwater Basketweaver
10-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to say anything, but here I am doing it anyway.

The last time I checked, we haven't put one point on the board on a pooch kick. Not one. Someone said we pooch kick 15 yards, well that means, if and only if, we get the ball we still have to take it 45 yards to the endzone. You know even if you can't catch the ball, then play some dang defense. I also do not remember a single turnover other than pooch kicks, that our defense didn't force. We practice causing turnovers everyday. It's not like teams are just laying it on the ground for us, and saying "here you go", here's the ball on the 1 yard line, "sneak it in and score 30 points on us". We outplayed Sweetwater that night. Sweetwater is a very good team, and I'm sure like any team that gets surprised by another team, they want a rematch. Do you know how many times we have wanted to play the game against Wylie again from '04? Everyday, since then I have thought about that game and how we got beat. But you know what, we got beat. Maybe the more talented and touted team didn't win, but Wylie was the better team that night and that year and they have the ring to prove it. We were the better team in Brownwood this year, and we got the mark in the win column to prove it. I'm done.

Phantom Stang
10-25-2006, 06:20 PM
This thread's deja vu all over again.

http://www.yogiberra.com/images/3dyogi.jpg

Snydertigersrul
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by tigerbyheart
Can the receiving team not call fair catch? I'm not sure of the rules on that...

A team can fair catch a kick off. The same rules apply as on a punt.

jlwzz
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to say anything, but here I am doing it anyway.

The last time I checked, we haven't put one point on the board on a pooch kick. Not one. Someone said we pooch kick 15 yards, well that means, if and only if, we get the ball we still have to take it 45 yards to the endzone. You know even if you can't catch the ball, then play some dang defense. I also do not remember a single turnover other than pooch kicks, that our defense didn't force. We practice causing turnovers everyday. It's not like teams are just laying it on the ground for us, and saying "here you go", here's the ball on the 1 yard line, "sneak it in and score 30 points on us". We outplayed Sweetwater that night. Sweetwater is a very good team, and I'm sure like any team that gets surprised by another team, they want a rematch. Do you know how many times we have wanted to play the game against Wylie again from '04? Everyday, since then I have thought about that game and how we got beat. But you know what, we got beat. Maybe the more talented and touted team didn't win, but Wylie was the better team that night and that year and they have the ring to prove it. We were the better team in Brownwood this year, and we got the mark in the win column to prove it. I'm done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phantom Stang
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by jlwzz
:clap: :clap: :clap:
jlwzz, you sure are clappin' a lot:D

Ranger Mom
10-25-2006, 06:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/smilies/signwelcome.gif

or several weeks ago actually.

I just wanted to use that smiley!!:D

jlwzz
10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
jlwzz, you sure are clappin' a lot:D yea i m just in a good mood

jlwzz
10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger Mom
[B]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/smilies/signwelcome.gif

or several weeks ago actually.

thats way i didnt have anything to say but i did like what was said :cool:

#1Eaglefan
10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
The thing I find amusing is the only people that ever say "all Decatur does is pooch kick" are either someone from a loosing team, or someone that never even saw the game. Decatur has done the pooch kick for years. I hate it! BUT - It has NEVER backfired for Coach Story! I say that's just good old fashioned coaching. Weather it's football, baseball, or chess, outwit your opponent and you will win! I was also at the Decatur/Sanger game that Decatur pooched so many of their kicks. By the way, there was only 1. All of the other kicks were in the end zone on the N. end, or held up in the high wind for a short kick on the S. end. Oh I forgot, we also did an onside kick. Is that still okay in the game of football? Maybe we should always kick it into the hands of the best athlete on the field like everyone else does!Keep up what you're doing Decatur and Coach Story, because the more teams that get frustrated with loosing means the more games we keep winning!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :thumbsup:

slpybear the bullfan
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
This pains me greatly coming from my maroon lips... but...

Coach Story and the Eagles have one heck of a program. Don't be worrying about pooch kicks.... you better be worrying about Cobb and Trant.... and hope that Cobb and Cardenas don't get it together before the playoffs.

dman79eagles
10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by APierce248
I have been to the majority of the Decatur High School Games this year. Over the past two games they have played (Bridgeport and Sanger), they maybe have been two pooch kicks. The main reason they are getting the turnovers is because they have a great defense. Even when the offense struggles, Like at the Vernon game, their defense is spectacular. I think everyone should give the Eagles defense a lot of credit for all of the turnovers. In the last game against Sanger the Eagles recovered 3 fumbles (5th game in the season they have forced three turnovers). Please limit the trash talking about the Coach Story's philiospohy about the pooch kicks to a minimum or better yet, find some way to stop Decatur from getting the ball on them. Coach Story has changed the momentum of a lot of games with his Kick-off stratagy. This has paid off tremendously, for instance a 43-4 record in the regular season in 4 seasons and 7 games this season. Decatur is a good team, so is Sweetwater. So it's settled?

atta way to call it pierce!!!

sweetwater07
10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dman79eagles
atta way to call it pierce!!!

too bad this thread was on the bottom of the barrel and your friend brought it right back up...we have let it go..yall still bathing in yalls glory or what?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Send_the_House
10-26-2006, 10:42 PM

I'm like freakin nastradamus or somethin...

NateDawg39
10-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
too bad this thread was on the bottom of the barrel and your friend brought it right back up...we have let it go..yall still bathing in yalls glory or what?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: some have let it go from both sides....others cant seem to get over it! I think we should just meet at Chilis and talk it out right then and there...