PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport vs Commerce

bigfanofthegame
12-10-2001, 02:19 AM
I would like to know what the chances are of Bridgeport pulling out another upset this friday are and what some of the records that their QB has set this year.

Pepper
12-10-2001, 11:04 AM
Well Bridgeport will go into this game as the underdog and that is exactley where they like to be. Their defense will not be able to stop Commerce, but they must slow them down. The real key to this game will be can Commerce's defense stop Bridgeport deadly passing attack. If Commerce can do that not only will they beat the Bulls but they will have done something that nobody else has been able to do. As for the Bulls QB he has one of the best arms I have ever seen in HS football. As for records he now has close to 4300 yds on the season which is good for the Bport record and the class 3a record for most yds in a season. He is only a junior and he now needs under 2000 yds to be the all-time career leading passer in all classifications in the state of Texas. I think he will easily achieve that. Bridgeport has 5 losses on the season but they came early in the season, they started out 2-4. They are really peeking right now and its a good time to do it. In my own opinion I think their is no way Commerce will stop Bridgports passing game, I also thought I had seen the best HS game this year when seen Bport- Crane and then I saw Bprt-Kennedale. It would'nt suprise me that this game this week will out do both of them. I think the Bulls have probably a 60% chance of comimng up with another upset. So if you want to see a good game and probably the future best passing QB to play in Texas come out to Bedford on Friday night.

Pepper
12-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Well Bridgeport will go into this game as the underdog and that is exactley where they like to be. Their defense will not be able to stop Commerce, but they must slow them down. The real key to this game will be can Commerce's defense stop Bridgeport deadly passing attack. If Commerce can do that not only will they beat the Bulls but they will have done something that nobody else has been able to do. As for the Bulls QB he has one of the best arms I have ever seen in HS football. As for records he now has close to 4300 yds on the season which is good for the Bport record and the class 3a record for most yds in a season. He is only a junior and he now needs under 2000 yds to be the all-time career leading passer in all classifications in the state of Texas. I think he will easily achieve that. Bridgeport has 5 losses on the season but they came early in the season, they started out 2-4. They are really peeking right now and its a good time to do it. In my own opinion I think their is no way Commerce will stop Bridgports passing game, I also thought I had seen the best HS game this year when seen Bport- Crane and then I saw Bprt-Kennedale. It would'nt suprise me that this game this week will out do both of them. I think the Bulls have probably a 60% chance of comimng up with another upset. So if you want to see a good game and probably the future best passing QB to play in Texas come out to Bedford on Friday night.

eye of the tiger
12-10-2001, 12:05 PM
Some pass defense stats for Commerce.

1046 yards, 6 tds and 16 interceptions

Not to bad for 14 games, however we have not faced a passing attack as good as Bridgeports yet. We are going to have to put major pressure on the Qb to win this game. It is going to be exciting for sure

[This message has been edited by eye of the tiger (edited December 10, 2001).]

maestro
12-10-2001, 12:05 PM
First of all good luck to both squads. No bad teams make it to the semis regardless of records. This is the third season and ecerything prior goes out the window. Secondly, Gladewater had a pretty good passing attack as well. They did have two passes dropped that would have been touchdowns, but that is why you play the game. I don't think Louvier from Gladewater had even 200yds passing. So I believe it is possible to stop Bridgeport's passing attack, they will have to step it up and cut down on the missed coverages on the two dropped passes. Commerce will be able to get pressure on the qb and that will help. Commerce I believe will also win the possession battle and keep the ball away from the Bulls. Good luck the winner will play one of two very good teams in LaGrange or Giddings.

playpepper
12-10-2001, 12:37 PM
From what i have seen the problem is not the QB for Bridgeport but some less than sure hands from their receiving corps. They may make two great catches in a row then drop two easy ones for first downs. You can not afford those kinds of mental lapses against Commerce. As a fan of district 8-3a I am rooting for Bridgeport but it will not be easy either way.

oldbuff78
12-10-2001, 02:07 PM
this will be a good game.
good luck to both teams.

slpybear the bullfan
12-10-2001, 10:44 PM
I am reallly interested to know some more about Commerce. Looking at the stats and the highlights of Commerce some things jump out at me...

Speed and Size: It looks like Commerce is another team with great speed to the outside and great size on the line, (I think everyone in the playoffs is gifted this way). Bridgeport has seen this throughout the playoffs and it always makes for a tough game.

Offense: Commerce looks like they have a nice little passing game to balance their impressive rushing game. Stats on the Dallas Morning News site show about a 70/30 split of run to pass.

Defense: ??? Don't know much here. I read in an above post about 1000 passing yards on their defense and 20+ interceptions. Those sound like good numbers. I feel like Bridgeport can probably pass on them, they are just really good at this. The bigger question is, will Bridgeport have a running game against them. Bridgeport has run with success in some games of the playoffs. Other games, they have lit up a lot of passing yards. The bulls are close to 70/30 pass to run, so this will be another interesting game to watch.

Thoughts on the matchup:

Bridgeport will face their Fifth team in a row in the postseason that has a great rushing attack. The usual method of defensing these is for the Bulls to give up yards in less than five yard chunks and don't give up the big gain. This wears down the offense and eats up lot's of clock time. They have seen enough great running backs, (Harold Jeffry, Crane, great kid!, Kennedale, Ballinger, etc) to not be afraid to play aggressive. The defense can do it when they have to. The final stand when Kennedale was 1st and goal on the Bull's 8 yard line was incredible. If they keep their heads on defense and play hard every series they can keep the opposing team to under 30.

Under 30 works well for the offense. The Bulls are averaging 35 ppg in the playoffs and have passed for 1,341 yards and 11 TDs in their four playoff games. The ball is spread around to 4 receivers and the rushing attack is enough to keep the defense honest. I was worried about some of the speed we have seen in some of the defensive secondaries, but that hasn't been as much of a factor as I would have thought.

Overall I would say who knows? Will Commerce be able to make the big running plays on Bridgeport? Will their defense be able to stop the Bridgeport Air Attack? I guess we will see on Friday.

Good luck to both teams and GO BULLS!

cosmicowgirl
12-12-2001, 11:41 AM
Commerce will hold its own Friday nite. Commerce never counts anyone out, nor looks ahead to the next game. They always concentrate on the game at hand. We watched Bridgeport Saturday nite and they are definately a team to contend with. But again, I feel Commerce will definately hold their own and give the bulls the game they want. Pennington is a very nice field and the stadium holds over 10,000 people. That's good as last week we had much more than that at the game... Good Luck to All....But of course GO TIGERS...

TIGERS NEVER QUIT...

eye of the tiger
12-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Good article in the Ft Worth Star-Telegram online version about Bridgeport and your kicking game. Also mentions some injuries. What is the result of Cory Cornutt's MRI?
That would be a tough loss for you guys. Hope his knee is ok.
Looking forward to a good game Friday night.

TIGERS NEVER QUIT

[This message has been edited by eye of the tiger (edited December 12, 2001).]

maestro
12-12-2001, 03:17 PM
Eye of the Tiger, do you know anything about the possibility of Billy Mercer playing the final two games? Heard a rumor in the stands and thought I would ask. Thanks. I'll be on the 50.

Hitters
12-12-2001, 03:37 PM
This is really going to be a good game. I know neither team will overlook each other and both teams are coached extremeley well. This has the makings to be a great one. Commerce defense has been strong all year but come Friday night I dont think it will be strong enough to contain Bridgeport. Bridgeport before 13,000 in a close one 39-35.

dawg fan
12-12-2001, 07:24 PM
Does anyone who is the Home team? I am an Everman fan but would like to cheer Commerce on. Some of their fans have been backing us, and I would like to do the same for them.

GO BULLDOGS!!!!

eye of the tiger
12-12-2001, 07:42 PM
dawg fan Ill find out who the home team is going to be. Good luck against Sinton. Go Dawgs and Go Tigers

maestro
12-13-2001, 08:59 AM
Commerce is home team. And Eye of the Tiger, my brother tells me Mercer is back. What are your thoughts?

Hitters
12-13-2001, 09:35 AM
I have not followed Commerce that much this year but everyone talks about the Mercer kid and exicited he's coming back this week. What position does he play? What does he mean for the team?

maestro
12-13-2001, 09:51 AM
He plays fullback and I believe noseguard? I not sure if it is ng or linebacker. I think at this point it would be more inspirational than anything, he has been out since about week 3, the Cooper game I think. He is very quick on defense, hits hard and runs the ball very hard on offense. But do not take anything away from the job Ryan Coffey has done in Mercer's absence. Commerce players have picked it up and adjusted very well to him not being there.

eye of the tiger
12-13-2001, 09:54 AM
maestro i did hear that Mercer will suit up. And yes he is as team leader for sure so just being there will help. I dont see him playing much offense, but you never can tell.

Owen B
12-13-2001, 10:08 AM
Billy Mercer is an excellent LB/FB and team leader who suffered a dislocated hip in week 3. In addition to that being a terrible thing for him, it was a huge blow to the Tigers, although others stepped in and have done a great job. He hasn't suited up for 12 weeks so he may not be able to do much on the field but his return will mean a lot for him and for the team.

maestro
12-13-2001, 10:10 AM
Where does he play on defense? I dont remember, but it would be good if it was ng and they moved Hines back to the secondary. Phifer scares me a little back there. Not a question of speed but a question of knowing the coverage and assignment.

Owen B
12-13-2001, 10:14 AM
maestro, he was playing linebacker but he'd make a heck of a nose guard. If he sees much playing time, I'll bet it will be at one or both of those positions.