PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Strings?

3afan
10-24-2006, 05:01 PM
need new ones ... want extra light ... should I go with Martin, Elixir or D'Addario?

I have D'Addario XLs now ...

DU_stud04
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
D'Addario or some Ernie Ball Earthwood, usually what i play on.

Bull19
10-24-2006, 05:10 PM
MARTIN STRINGS IF YOU PLAY A MARTIN AND D'ADDARIO IF ITS NOT A MARTIN

3afan
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
.... Ernie Ball Earthwood ....

never heard of those ..........

3afan
10-24-2006, 05:12 PM
they're pretty cheap

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=earthwood

DU_stud04
10-24-2006, 05:19 PM
they might not last as long as the Elixir, but they have a really good sound and really cheap. i like playing with them, im now on my second set after my friend suggested the ernie ball

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Anything but the elixir.

Gobbla2001
10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Just ordered these strings five minutes ago....:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/0/6/6/238066.jpg

while ordering this guitar...:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/0/229560.jpg

and this case:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/3/5/393335.jpg...

3afan
10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Ibanez!

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 06:28 PM
i love my ibanez acoustic

just changed the strings yesterday

finally they stretched out, so now im good to play somemore!

Gobbla2001
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
my other cheap guitar was sitting right by me when I ordered the new one :(

what a loyal dude he's been... I'll still pick him up for chits and giggles every now and again...

Bull19
10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
WHY DIDNT YOU GET A BETTER GUITAR SUCH AS A D-35 OR D-28?

3afan
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
a Martin D-35 ...... ~$3K !!!

thats why!!!

Bull19
10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
a Martin D-35 ...... ~$3K !!!

thats why!!!

THATS WHAT I FIGURED YOUR RESONING WOULD BE

JHS_c/o_06'
10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
don't get elixers unless you plan on paying 15 bucks for a pack of strings for the rest of your life
.....you wont go back.

3afan
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
i havent seen Elixirs for $15 - $30 is more like it

Gobbla2001
10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
WHY DIDNT YOU GET A BETTER GUITAR SUCH AS A D-35 OR D-28?

Why get a D-35 or 28 when you're not some bad-A guitar slinger and performing live for a living???

if I ever am performing live for a living, I will have a Martin, Taylor or Gibson that runs about 3k...

but until I decide my young butt wants a 3k guitar I'm gunna stay with 400

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Why get a D-35 or 28 when you're not some bad-A guitar slinger and performing live for a living???

if I ever am performing live for a living, I will have a Martin, Taylor or Gibson that runs about 3k...

but until I decide my young butt wants a 3k guitar I'm gunna stay with 400

YOU HAVE A POINT, I ASSUMED YOU WERENT A BEGGINER, BUT IF YOU ARE I AGREE WITH YOU THEN, DONT BUY A GOOD GUITAR LIKE THAT WHEN YOUR JUST LEARNING OR HAVENT BEEN PLAYING A LONG TIME

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
when i first starting playing electric guitar i started out with what every beginner should pick up, a first act.

but then after about a year and a half and around 1000 hours practice i decided to move up to my current guitar, (ive gone through 3 actual different guitars, all the same model)

i love my Gibson '61 SG Reissue!!! i love it! solid black, with mohagany neck. ahhh gives me chills thinking about how i havent played in a day.

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:07 PM
ANGUS YOUNG FAN?

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 07:08 PM
ANGUS YOUNG FAN?

1) very much so

2) the guitar is just a great guitar, moderate price, great sound!

gotta love it!

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
1) very much so

2) the guitar is just a great guitar, moderate price, great sound!

gotta love it!

WHAT DO YOU CALL A MODERATE PRICE? IVE SEEN THEM ALL IN THE 1GRAND TO 3 GRAND RANGE?

BY NO MEAN IM SAYING THAT THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE IT JUST SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT THEY ARE CHEAP

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
WHAT DO YOU CALL A MODERATE PRICE? IVE SEEN THEM ALL IN THE 1GRAND TO 3 GRAND RANGE?

BY NO MEAN IM SAYING THAT THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE IT JUST SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT THEY ARE CHEAP

well im thinking of it this way

my original first act guitar w/amp

around 200ish

my current model SG was around 950 (sale at musicians friend, normally around 1500+)

however, this is because i bought a very high end model, i could have easily picked up the plain Gibson SG for 399-599

so i guess moderate was not the right word

but when you play in live shows (in which i use my SG and my ibanez acoustic) you get what you pay for

so for the money its good, but if youre aiming for a slight bit cheaper, get the Gibson SG current model from any site or magazine, around 400ish

but ya, maybe i should have said "worth the money" not "moderate"

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
WHATS UP WITH EVERYONE'S IBANEZ'S MAYBE I SHOULD TRADE IN MY D-35 FOR ONE,, WHAT DO YALL THINK?

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
WHATS UP WITH EVERYONE'S IBANEZ'S MAYBE I SHOULD TRADE IN MY D-35 FOR ONE,, WHAT DO YALL THINK?

for me its been brand loyatly, i just really really enjoy my ibanez, they make quality guitars for cheap, but really if you have a d-35 keep it, thats quite a good guitar, it all comes down to if you have a preference or not.

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
for me its been brand loyatly, i just really really enjoy my ibanez, they make quality guitars for cheap, but really if you have a d-35 keep it, thats quite a good guitar, it all comes down to if you have a preference or not.

I WAS BEING VERY VERY SARCASTIC, IN NO WAY WOULD I EVER TRADE IN MY MARTIN FOR AN IBANEZ

SnyTigBaseB07
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I WAS BEING VERY VERY SARCASTIC, IN NO WAY WOULD I EVER TRADE IN MY MARTIN FOR AN IBANEZ

thats what i thought, but i didnt want to assume

you know that they say when you assume

they say, youre usually wrong, bucko. :D :rolleyes:

Cameron Crazy
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Elixer!

Gobbla2001
10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
well I'm not really a beginner, but I've played Ibanez and they make great guitars... I've known about Ibanez ever since my step-bro got an Ibanez electric for Christmas one year when I was about 12, so the name just sticks with me... The acoustics I have played have great sound and my friend loves his Ibanez acoustic, I've played that one A LOT and it's just an impressive guitar...

I was going to get whatever Martin it was, the 700 dollar one, but I really do not want to buy a Martin right now... I'm taking steps... this is the first guitar I've actually had to buy myself and I could have gotten the Martin, but if I do get one I'm getting a more expensive one... actually my most expensive guitar will probably be a custom Pawless, a company out of Gainesville, TX I believe (they say Gainesville and Lewisville on the website)... those start at around 3k, so that'll be a while...

But as I've said, I've played Ibanez and I love their sound, they have quality electronics etc and are comfortable to play...

3afan
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
went with D'Addario -- put 'em on and oh yeah, sounds soooo much better! too bad I STILL suck ....

went to Guitar Center in Dallas (near 75 & Southwestern) ................ OMG they have so many guitars, etc.! I stayed for 2 hours --- played aamong others a $3K Martin --- didnt sound all that great IMO. the 12-strings sound so nice ....

OK, back to reality .......... :p

Phil C
10-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I got an old Yamaha that I play at rather than play that I brought in 1975. I talked to an older guitar player and he said to buy either a Martin or a Yamaha. President Ford helped everyone get a $200 rebate check that he urged everyone to spend right away to help the economy so I went and got a Yamaha and even spent some extra money for it. It would probably cost twice as much today even though I haven't priced it. I didn't become a great player but I got money's worth of enjoyment from it.

DU_stud04
10-27-2006, 03:41 PM
went with D'Addario -- put 'em on and oh yeah, sounds soooo much better! too bad I STILL suck ....

went to Guitar Center in Dallas (near 75 & Southwestern) ................ OMG they have so many guitars, etc.! I stayed for 2 hours --- played aamong others a $3K Martin --- didnt sound all that great IMO. the 12-strings sound so nice ....

OK, back to reality .......... :p

i like 12string guitars :D

Phil C
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Guitar Joke

A guitar picker who has never played an accoustic guitar got one for his birthday. He frowned and said "This guitar is no good. It's got a hole in it."

:D

DU_stud04
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Guitar Joke

A guitar picker who has never played an accoustic guitar got one for his birthday. He frowned and said "This guitar is no good. It's got a hole in it."

:D :D

Tiger Turtle
10-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Elixir medium light unless they're going on a Martin.

Gobbla2001
10-27-2006, 05:30 PM

went to Guitar Center in Dallas (near 75 & Southwestern) ................ OMG they have so many guitars, etc.! I stayed for 2 hours

when I lived in Austin for three months, I went to their Guitar Center three different times for about three hours... like a damned candy store...

almost went to the one in Houston yesterday but saw an H&H near Sugar Land and Stafford and decided it'd be best to go to that one so we could beat the traffic later... they were going out of business and didn't have crap...

DU_stud04
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
there is a guitar center maybe 10 minutes away... i go about once a week for about 2-3 hours at a time. i have one rule though, i dont take my wallet with me cause ill end up buying everything

3afan
11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Just ordered these strings five minutes ago....:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/0/6/6/238066.jpg

while ordering this guitar...:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/0/229560.jpg

"traded" my Ibanez in today for another Ibanez (@ Guitar Center) ::

http://ibanez.com/guitars/models/AEF18EBK.jpg

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM

really, why the change? like it?

BTW, those strings that came with my guitar are all still there and still have pretty decent sound on 'em, been playing it hard since I got it...

HM33
11-27-2006, 03:23 PM
I plan on getting one neat christmas time. I plan on getting an accoustic/electric Ovation. My brother just bought one and it sounds amazing. My dad also has an Ovation, but he bought that one a long time ago. Its worth a bit. It has a Deep body and I don't think they make those anymore. Also has a Les Paul Custom (USA made) . Thats an awesome Electric, very easy to play.

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by HM33
I plan on getting one neat christmas time. I plan on getting an accoustic/electric Ovation. My brother just bought one and it sounds amazing. My dad also has an Ovation, but he bought that one a long time ago. Its worth a bit. It has a Deep body and I don't think they make those anymore. Also has a Les Paul Custom (USA made) . Thats an awesome Electric, very easy to play.

I have an ovation... Glenn Campbell edition, not acoustic electric and it's out of commission...

3afan
11-27-2006, 03:41 PM
really, why the change? like it?

BTW, those strings that came with my guitar are all still there and still have pretty decent sound on 'em, been playing it hard since I got it...

I went away from the Jumbo body, that was the main thing .... other that that its about what I had - they put some Takamine strings on it while I was checking out (about noon today), havent had a chance to play it since then ...

DU_stud04
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM

so no more http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/AEL50SERLV.jpg ?????

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I went away from the Jumbo body,

that is what I suspected... I knew the main reason wouldn't be sound (or is it)... jumbo body's produce a pretty full sound... I enjoy the sound my friend's jumbo puts out, but the dreadnaught style is easier for most to handle... 9 times out of 10 a player will play better on a guitar that is more comfortable to handle and/or play...

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 04:41 PM
now that I think about it, 3afan, can you please remove that photo of your new guitar???

That is one of the ones I played at H&H Music in SA just before Hutto knocked Cuero out of the playoffs last year :(

DU_stud04
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
that is what I suspected... I knew the main reason wouldn't be sound (or is it)... jumbo body's produce a pretty full sound... I enjoy the sound my friend's jumbo puts out, but the dreadnaught style is easier for most to handle... 9 times out of 10 a player will play better on a guitar that is more comfortable to handle and/or play...

agreed.

BHBrave08
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
What is yall''s opinion on the easiest way to learn to play? (without spending money on a tutor/teacher)

I've always wanted to play and haven't had time to sit down and do it, but now I have extra incentive.... My grandpa told me he would give me this '67 Gibson acoustic that he has if I could play him a song on it. So I was wondering the fastest/ easiest way to learn to play.

tortilla_man
11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/43wz8ec.jpg

i get this guitar in sometimes this week!

Bull19
11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
What is yall''s opinion on the easiest way to learn to play? (without spending money on a tutor/teacher)

I've always wanted to play and haven't had time to sit down and do it, but now I have extra incentive.... My grandpa told me he would give me this '67 Gibson acoustic that he has if I could play him a song on it. So I was wondering the fastest/ easiest way to learn to play.

LEARN A SONG THAT ONLY HAS ONE CHORD IN IT!!!

carter08
11-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Learn three chord
C, G, and D7
You can play a few songs with that knowledge

DU_stud04
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
just learn your basic chords.... idecided i wanted to try and play a song befor ei knew chords. spent alot of time wonder where to place my fingers.....now i go back and wondered how could i have been so stupid. am, c,d,bm,g,f, e....theyre all easy chords on the bottom of the neck.

Phantom Stang
11-27-2006, 10:59 PM

Try Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 1.
You can get it with a cd at most music stores for around $10.:)

BTW, find out what model Gibson your grandpa has, and look it up on ebay. I bet you get REALLY motivated, when you see what most high-end guitars that old sell for.;)

HM33
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Try Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 1.
You can get it with a cd at most music stores for around $10.:)

BTW, find out what model Gibson your grandpa has, and look it up on ebay. I bet you get REALLY motivated, when you see what most high-end guitars that old sell for.;)

If I got one that could sell for a lot, I still wouldn't sell it.

3afan
11-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Google "guitar lessons" ........ there are lots of free and/or cheap resources

http://www.guitartricks.com/

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

Its gonna be hard at first, especially until you get your fingers "in shape" ...... but ya gotta stick with it

BHBrave08
11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
ok. well thanks for the info. its basketball season (i don't play) so i my try to start learning. those sites looked like they could help a lot. man i hope i can learn because i want that guitar bad.:rolleyes:

3afan
01-05-2007, 08:10 AM
put these on last night - like 'em!

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Acoustic/BlueSteelAc.shtml

http://www.deanmarkley.com/images/Strings/Acoustic/BlueSteelAcSm.jpg

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
So, does anyone have any advice for a beginner? I'm getting a little bit frustrated, but I knew going in it was going to be tough. Anybody have any advice for me. (I started yesterday)

TexanAlum_06
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
So, does anyone have any advice for a beginner? I'm getting a little bit frustrated, but I knew going in it was going to be tough. Anybody have any advice for me. (I started yesterday)

I know how you feel. Im not a beginner.... but Im not a seasoned pro yet either. been playing for about a 8 months. The best thing you can do is just to be patient. Playing Guitar is not something that happens overnight. its like golf. you can play your whole life and still not master the game (guitar). You can learn how to read tabs. which help. I dowloaded Power Tab editor 1.7 on ultimate-guitar.com and you can dowload tabs for it and powertab editor plays it for you so u can see how its done. thats pretty cool. What I did is I just picked a few songs I wanted to learn. like my first was the slide part to freebird. and since then I know bunch of PinkFloyd stuff, which isnt the easiest stuff to play. but thats the style of music I like. I started on electric and then just got a acoustic for christmas. and an acoustic will definately broaden your playing skills. Another helpful tool was Youtube! a lot of poeple play the songs and put them on there so u can see how its done. that was helpful.

3afan
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM

gotta be patient, gotta realize its a slooooow process ..... see above for some links to beginner lessons

DU_stud04
01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
I dowloaded Power Tab editor 1.7 on ultimate-guitar.com and you can dowload tabs for it and powertab editor plays it for you so u can see how its done. guitarpro is better :D

TexanAlum_06
01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Does guitar pro cost $$?

DU_stud04
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Does guitar pro cost $$? yes sir, i use the free trail though hahaha, guitar pro 5 only lets you have a 15 day trial however :( but i really liked guitar pro more than i did powertab

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I learned the intro to "The Man Who Sold the World" by Nirvana today. Not a big deal to any of you who have been doing it for a while, but it is a milestone for me. :D

Maroon87
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
just learn your basic chords.... idecided i wanted to try and play a song befor ei knew chords. spent alot of time wonder where to place my fingers.....now i go back and wondered how could i have been so stupid. am, c,d,bm,g,f, e....theyre all easy chords on the bottom of the neck.

It's amazing how many songs contain those chords and not much else.:cool:

DU_stud04
01-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It's amazing how many songs contain those chords and not much else.:cool: exactly, learn those and your golden :thumbsup:

TexanAlum_06
01-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I learned the intro to "The Man Who Sold the World" by Nirvana today. Not a big deal to any of you who have been doing it for a while, but it is a milestone for me. :D

Yeah I know how you feel... when i learned Simple Man it was a glorious day for me.... but then everybody else was like, dude simple man is easy.... but it wasnt for me! lol.