PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Rogers wearing different hat...

g$$
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
**the baseball player/pitcher for Detroit (not the singer who just had a face lift!)

Anyone else notice that Kenny Rogers is wearing a different hat in games than his teammates? He is wearing the "batting practice" cap & it looks like he has colored in the 2-tone bill around the edges of the bill. This hat is also darker under the bill & fits more like a stretch fit cap. You have to look closely as both are made by New Era (but different than wool game cap).

May have something to do with how he continually goes to his cap with his fingers. If it goes to a Game 6 & he pitches, this could be interesting to see if they check him closely.

I think he's loading up the ball. The pictures are pretty conclusive (from entire playoffs too) & that's not dirt on his left hand. Maybe he washed his hands & put the iodine goo/pine tar somewhere else on his body or on his catcher. The Cardinals have balls that are marked & scuffed from the other night. This controversy is far from over.

3afan
10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
the uni-watch on ESPN.com talked about this yesterday .... dont remember their 'explanation' though :nerd:

g$$
10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Anyone know their explanation? I have never seen anyone from other teams wear the BP cap in games. All teams have them too.

The underside of the bill is different & darker. Just curious...

I bet he wears the regular game cap from now on & relocates the iodine goo/pine tar elsewhere. Too obvious.

Paratrooper
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Heck I thought you were talking about the singer......I was like when did Kenny Rogers start wearing a hat:D

tigerpride_08
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
heard on ESPN though that the players didn't noticed anything different about the ball...:confused:

g$$
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Depends on who you listen to I guess. Hal McRae, Cards hitting coach & former MLB player, said he had 6 balls scuffed & marked up from the other night. Said in USA Today that Rogers was "blatantly cheating". LaRussa should have raised heck about it unless he knows stuff about his pitchers too.

I did not see any unnatural movement but I did see the stuff on his hand. Defacing a ball can cause movement as the ball travels into the wind. Ask Gaylord Perry. Knowing how to use a scuff can cause movement. I had a former minor leaguer show me one time (go opposite the scuff mark or cut). No one on my hs or juco baseball team knew how to do it, that's for sure!

I am still curious about his hat being different...

coach
10-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Depends on who you listen to I guess. Hal McRae, Cards hitting coach & former MLB player, said he had 6 balls scuffed & marked up from the other night. Said in USA Today that Rogers was "blatantly cheating". LaRussa should have raised heck about it unless he knows stuff about his pitchers too.

I did not see any unnatural movement but I did see the stuff on his hand. Defacing a ball can cause movement as the ball travels into the wind. Ask Gaylord Perry. Knowing how to use a scuff can cause movement. I had a former minor leaguer show me one time (go opposite the scuff mark or cut). No one on my hs or juco baseball team knew how to do it, that's for sure!

I am still curious about his hat being different...

players always wear different hats u just dont notice it they also wear different types of jerseys

Underwater Basketweaver
10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Heck I thought you were talking about the singer......I was like when did Kenny Rogers start wearing a hat:D

You gotta know when to curveball, know when to fastball, know not to walk 'em, and know when K 'em. You never use pine tar when your standin' on the mound...There'll be time enough for pine tar when you're in the NL.

-Kenny Rogers (baseball player)

olddawggreen
10-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper

I thought you were talking about the singer, Kenny Roger's new face:eek: :eek: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2128/kensz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

awizzy
10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
you know i herd the guys on espn that about 60 or 70 % of the pitchers us somthing like pine tar just to get a better grib

fireman1
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
ESPN said that if he was using pine tar it was not illegal because the pitchers need some grip on the ball, but if it was not pine tar dont you think he would try harder to hide it. instead he went on with the game as if it was nothing

kaorder1999
10-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by fireman1
ESPN said that if he was using pine tar it was not illegal because the pitchers need some grip on the ball, but if it was not pine tar dont you think he would try harder to hide it. instead he went on with the game as if it was nothing

FALSE....use of pinetar in BANNED in the majors for pitchers from what Ive been told. Do they do it from time to time without getting caught? Of course! Is it legal? NOPE!

g$$
10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Pine tar is ILLEGAL, but commonly used by pitchers to get a better grip esp. in cold weather. Larry Dierker said yesterday he used it often when he pitched. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

Batters can LEGALLY use it on bats up to a certain heigth on the bat. Remember George Brett?? I used it in hs & college, it really helps w/ a tacky grip. But I was not a pitcher either.

Umpires can only check a pitcher if requested by the opposing team.

I have read 60-70% of MLB pitchers use it. But none I have seen have a glob on their pitching hand in the World Series!

Coach: I have no idea what you meant in your post. And I do notice hats, jerseys, anything different, etc. All MLB teams have Batting Practice caps & jerseys used ONLY for BP. Then they change before the game. Helps with marketing too & selling more gear. Home jerseys, road jerseys, & alternate jerseys too. Same with caps, etc.

The question remains why was Kenny Rogers wearing a different hat? And will he do it again?

Snydertigersrul
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Pine tar is ILLEGAL, but commonly used by pitchers to get a better grip esp. in cold weather. Larry Dierker said yesterday he used it often when he pitched. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

Batters can LEGALLY use it on bats up to a certain heigth on the bat. Remember George Brett?? I used it in hs & college, it really helps w/ a tacky grip. But I was not a pitcher either.

Umpires can only check a pitcher if requested by the opposing team.

I have read 60-70% of MLB pitchers use it. But none I have seen have a glob on their pitching hand in the World Series!

Coach: I have no idea what you meant in your post. And I do notice hats, jerseys, anything different, etc. All MLB teams have Batting Practice caps & jerseys used ONLY for BP. Then they change before the game. Helps with marketing too & selling more gear. Home jerseys, road jerseys, & alternate jerseys too. Same with caps, etc.

The question remains why was Kenny Rogers wearing a different hat? And will he do it again?

A rule should be enforced that every player on the team wears similar pants, jersey and cap. Kenny Rogers is nothing but a CHEATER and should be suspended from baseball. The umpires looked the other way. I hope the Cardinals raise holy hell the next time he pitches.

g$$
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
The umps cannot be blamed because the opposing team MUST request a player to be searched.

LaRussa did not formally ask (he did go out & tell the umps he had concerns). Blame LaRussa for not pushing the issue.