PDA

View Full Version : Article on Snyder's QB

Snyder_TigerFan
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
A Tiger of All Trades
Snyder's Day emerges as one of Big Country's most versatile athletes

By Evan Ren / rene@reporternews.com
October 24, 2006

SNYDER - If there is anything on the football field that Snyder's Lance Day can't do, it has yet to be discovered.

For that matter, there may not be a sport at which the 17-year-old junior can't excel.

Beyond accepting the roles of starting quarterback, linebacker, punter and place-kicker, Day is also a Division I prospect as a baseball pitcher, and a solid basketball player. He's also managed to shoot a 79 on the golf course, but that was in the eighth grade (he's a bit rusty now).

Sum it all up, and you have one of the Big Country's most versatile athletes - one who is playing an integral role in nearly every aspect of Snyder football.

''People around town are always telling me 'Don't get hurt, don't get hurt,'' joked Day, who stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 185 pounds. ''If I do, I guess we'll have to find a new quarterback, new linebacker, new punter and a new field goal kicker.''

Now in his third varsity season, Day has helped the Tigers (4-3) overcome an 0-3 start by doing a little of everything.

At quarterback, he's hit 17 of 54 throws for 295 yards and rushed 48 times for 200 yards and two scores. Defensively, he's notched 32 tackles from his linebacker spot, to go with one sack and one interception. In the kicking game, he's a perfect 17-of-17 in PATs and is averaging a respectable 37.8 yards per punt.

He has yet to attempt a field goal this season, but has hit a wind-aided 51-yarder in practice.

Depending this heavily on one player isn't the way coach Chad Rogers had planned things. It just so happened that Day was the best man for each job.

''My preference would be to have 22 different starters and have one person working on punting and kicking,'' Rogers said. ''We've got other people who can step up if he gets hurt, but Lance knows the linebacker spot inside-and-out and lately, he's really been coming along as an offensive threat.''

Now in his third varsity season, Day was named district defensive newcomer of the year as a freshman linebacker after he helped the Tigers reach the 3A Division II semifinals.

His role expanded to quarterback and place-kicker this season, more than doubling his responsibilities.

''It doesn't bother me at all,'' said Day when asked if his heavy burden has become taxing. ''I'm pretty confident playing it all, so if I'm the one who has to do it, that's fine.

''If someone else has to do it, then I'll trust them, go out, have fun, and whatever happens, happens.''

Day's name will likely resurface this basketball season, after averaging 14 points per game as a junior varsity forward last year. But it is in baseball, where he will most likely get his Division I collegiate ticket punched.

Having posted a 12-2 record last year as a sophomore, Day has already pegged the radar gun at an eye-popping 91 mph - a velocity which tends to draw recruiters like bees to honey.

The possibility of playing Division I football hasn't been ruled out as yet, with SMU, Oklahoma State, Tulane and Colorado State having all sent inquiries.

At any rate, he still his senior season to weigh his options.

''I hope I go D I for football, basketball or baseball,'' Day said. ''If I don't go D I right off the bat, I might go to a smaller school then transfer, because my goal is to play a D I sport.''

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

He has yet to attempt a field goal this season, but has hit a wind-aided 51-yarder in practice.

What about that 35 yarder at Brownwood? I guess someone forgot about it.:(

Snyder_TigerFan
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72

Heck, I forgot about that one.:thinking:

Snydertigersrul
10-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72

DaHop, I just read that story and that also popped in my mind too. He has missied only one extra point kick, but he did tried and missed the field goal at Brownwood. Lance still is one of the most versatlile athletes in the area, but his college future is on the baseball diamond as a pitcher.

BMOC
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Great article on a great kid.
He reminds me of Keenum.
Good luck Day, and good luck Snyder.

mrescape43
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
The surprising part of Lance throwing 91 is that he broke his pitching arm in football last year. His motion is so smooth that he doesn't appear to be throwing so hard.