PDA

View Full Version : Willis Players kicked off team for donating blood

Old Tiger
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/news/10144744/detail.html

3afan
10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
seems there has to be more to this ........... didnt say they skipped practice to donate, and if they gave early enuf before practice it shouldnt even affect them

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I'll need more info before I make a decision - did they skip practice to donate? Were they told not to donate and did it anyway? Seems like there has to be more to this story - :confused:

pirate4state
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'll need more info before I make a decision - did they skip practice to donate? Were they told not to donate and did it anyway? Seems like there has to be more to this story - :confused: Agreed! Strange. :thinking:

piratebg
10-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'll need more info before I make a decision - did they skip practice to donate? Were they told not to donate and did it anyway? Seems like there has to be more to this story - :confused:

The story said that they showed up for practice and were told to leave. It did not specifically say that it was that do, though. This just looks like a really bad situation all together.

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 02:38 PM
agreed...something is definitely missing in this story.

Phil C
10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
MYSTERY MYSTERY ON THE BALL!
WHAT'S THE STORY OF THIS ALL!!

:mad:

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
this is the confusing part for me :thinking:
""We were all ready for practice," player Jeff Chachem said. "We were going out to practice and all of our stuff was taken out of our lockers and we were told to go home, that we were done playing football."

Malone, who has refused to comment on why giving blood resulted in the players' dismissal, apologized to the players and their parents on Tuesday but issued a punishment to the players for missing Monday's practice."

like I said - there has got to be more to this story.........

BTEXDAD
10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
They do tell you after donating blood to not do strenuous activities for a period of time. Although after an hour or two, I've always felt fine and done whatever. I would think the phlebotomists consider football practice a strenuous activity.
If kids come out to practice and get hurt and it turns out it happened because they were light headed, or weakened due to lack of blood, then coach would be asked, "why did you make them practice when you knew they had given blood and weren't supposed to be doing strenuous activities?"
It has to be more to it, but two sides to every thing. Hard to tell what coach's thinking was.

Hupernikomen
10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
They do tell you after donating blood to not do strenuous activities for a period of time. Although after an hour or two, I've always felt fine and done whatever. I would think the phlebotomists consider football practice a strenuous activity.
If kids come out to practice and get hurt and it turns out it happened because they were light headed, or weakened due to lack of blood, then coach would be asked, "why did you make them practice when you knew they had given blood and weren't supposed to be doing strenuous activities?"
It has to be more to it, but two sides to every thing. Hard to tell what coach's thinking was.

At least they didn't go deer hunting instead :eek:

wyliegrad04
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
the story says they missed practice monday right after giving blood ...

I don't think kicking them off the team is alright, but definitely not letting them start for missing practice is understandable ... at least I think it is.

Old Tiger
10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
the story says they missed practice monday right after giving blood ...

I don't think kicking them off the team is alright, but definitely not letting them start for missing practice is understandable ... at least I think it is. They missed practice monday because the coach told them they were kicked off the team.

wyliegrad04
10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
oh i didn't understand that part ...

well then in that case, yea i'd be pissed

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
oh i didn't understand that part ...

well then in that case, yea i'd be pissed

I'm mad for those kids. That's crap.

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
They missed practice monday because the coach told them they were kicked off the team.
that's the part I had a hard time with as well........ will be interesting to see how this plays out

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
much more to the story that is not being reported...

NDFootball
10-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

That's still no reason to kid kids off of a team.

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 09:29 PM
he is a new head coach and they are winless....the talk on Saturday was that they would go give blood because the nurse told the coaches that they WERE NOT TO PRACTICE if they gave blood. The kids knew that and got together and knew that they wouldnt have to rpactice if they gave blood. The head coach then told them ahead of time that he knew of their plot and if they missed practice on purpose because of the blood donar thing then they would be dismissed from the team. Then all of sudden on Monday all these guys that were suspected of doing it DID give blood then came out to the fieldhouse like it was no big deal ACTING like they were ready to practice, knowing that they couldn't be allowed to practice because of giving blood.

All of a sudden, it was "i went to practice but he just kicked us off the team." "Ive never missed a practice and I was going to practice but he wouldnt let us..."

NDFootball
10-24-2006, 09:33 PM
O wow.....that changes everything.

Still idk if I'd kick the kids off the team though. Maybe embarrass them a little bit in front of the team and that'd get the practice skipping bug out of them.

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 09:38 PM
sounds crazy.....now they have been reinstated, and not allowed to play this Friday and now they are griping about not being able to start in the game. Amazing. Freaking amazing. At many schools if you have an unexcused absence then you do not play the first half. If you skip a practice you sure dont play that week. Not sure about removal, that depends on previous rules violations...

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 09:41 PM
the way it sounds to me, from different accounts from people in WIllis, this year is almost like the Remember the Titans movie. There are people there who began their campaign to get him fired the minute he got the job. Sad, sad situation

SWMustang
10-25-2006, 01:24 AM
maybe the kids were trying to do a noble thing and give blood - maybe they just wanted to question authority - I don't know. But those kids are given an awesome responsibility to represent their town and community on the football field. Over the course of their lives, there will be many opportunities to give blood. There's only a 4 or 5 month period to represent Willis on the gridiron. Having worked in Willis on numerous occassions, I will say I'm not too surprised this happened here.

3afan
10-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
he is a new head coach and they are winless....the talk on Saturday was that they would go give blood because the nurse told the coaches that they WERE NOT TO PRACTICE if they gave blood. The kids knew that and got together and knew that they wouldnt have to rpactice if they gave blood. The head coach then told them ahead of time that he knew of their plot and if they missed practice on purpose because of the blood donar thing then they would be dismissed from the team. Then all of sudden on Monday all these guys that were suspected of doing it DID give blood then came out to the fieldhouse like it was no big deal ACTING like they were ready to practice, knowing that they couldn't be allowed to practice because of giving blood.

All of a sudden, it was "i went to practice but he just kicked us off the team." "Ive never missed a practice and I was going to practice but he wouldnt let us..."

now we know the rest of the story !!!

(thanks Paul ...)

HPLJ6L
10-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Who cares?
Its Willis.

GreenMonster
10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Here is my official response.

Coach had no business telling these kids not to donate blood in the first place. He should have already had a system in place that concerns missed practices. Use it. The kids made a choice to miss practice so make them follow the predetermined rules. Whether that be extra running and no start in the game or no game period. Follow your own guidelines that you yourself set. Do not change the rules midstream and do make make up new rules just prior to an event such as a blood drive because you think it might cut into your practice time. This coach now looks like an ass in public because of his failure to follow his own rules and it's very possible that he will be looking for a new job because of it. That's my $.02 on the subject.