PDA

View Full Version : college class rings...

jason
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
for those of you who have graduated from COLLEGE - did you get a class ring, was it worth it? if you did not, do you regret not having one??

i went to talk to the rep yesterday, and they're sooo expensive, i think she was from jostens....

TMer25
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I didn't. The diploma on the wall was enough for me.

marlin fan
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jason
for those of you who have graduated from COLLEGE - did you get a class ring, was it worth it? if you did not, do you regret not having one??

i went to talk to the rep yesterday, and they're sooo expensive, i think she was from jostens.... o0o0o thats where Marlin gets its graduation stuff!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I hope to get my Aggie ring. Those things are recognizable everywhere.

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I didn't get one. If you went to Tech or A&M...it's a pretty big deal. If you went to Texas, it's something that some of the grads have but not as big of a deal to have one. Otherwise...not really much of a concern. I don't have any friends that have one if they didn't go to Tech or A&M. The only other people that wear them are those that have rings for sports accomplishments.

jason
10-24-2006, 10:37 AM
ive invested a LOT of time into graduating though, i would like to have something besides a diploma on my wall to show for it...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:37 AM
ive invested a LOT of time into graduating though, i would like to have something besides a diploma on my wall to show for it...

Get 3afan to pay for it.

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I didnt get one and I regret it. I'm thinking about ordering one though!

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 10:38 AM

I got 2 degrees...so I made them give me 2 diplomas! ;)

zeus63
10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Go for it!! i didn't get one and I regret it now. I think I am going to buy one.

3afan
10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Get 3afan to pay for it.

why not - I pay for everything else! :p

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

great response...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM

Hey jason, I'll pay for it if you hook me up with your cousin....haha.

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 10:44 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

thats a deal breaker

3afan
10-24-2006, 10:45 AM

i went to talk to the rep yesterday, and they're sooo expensive, i think she was from jostens....

depends - dont get one just to have one .............. if you dont like to wear a ring then IMO its not worth the $ to have a ring sitting in a drawer

I had one but it was stolen when our house was broken into back in '92 ... looked recently into getting a new one but the one I liked was $600+ :eek:

3afan
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM

which cousin?

good thing you didnt say "sister" :mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM
depends - dont get one just to have one .............. if you dont like to wear a ring then IMO its not worth the $ to have a ring sitting in a drawer

I had one but it was stolen when our house was broken into back in '92 ... looked recently into getting a new one but the one I liked was $600+ :eek:

Here's an idea for both of you: donate blood plasma and sperm. You'll have that ring paid for in no time.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I haven't even discussed it with my son, but we got a thingy in the mail 2-3 weeks ago. :bigcry: :weeping: $$$$$ Heck, when he graduates, it will be a big deal, even if it is "only" from UT.

3afan
10-24-2006, 10:48 AM

ring or custom made irons .... hhhhmmmmm :thinking:

lepfan
10-24-2006, 10:48 AM
I did not get a "class ring"....but my parents did buy me another ring...after I graduated. I still wear it today...I think I like it better...I am not sure I would still be wearing a college class ring.
Ya just seem to grow out of that stage as you get older...except if your an aggie...they never grow out of the college day mentality

***DISCLAIMER: Not intended to offend any one or group of aggies or other human beings. These are my opinions and only mine...I can have opinions of my own...bullfrog told me so! ALSO, just deal with any of the spelling errors...I don't feel like fixing them today!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
which cousin?

good thing you didnt say "sister" :mad:

I don't know her name, but she is around the same age as your daughter....jason knows which one I'm talking about.

GreenMonster
10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
I didn't. The diploma on the wall was enough for me.

ditto, I hate jewelry. I even put up a tussle with the Mrs. over wearing the wedding band. She won that one.

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 10:51 AM
custom made irons .... hhhhmmmmm :thinking: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jason
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey jason, I'll pay for it if you hook me up with your cousin....haha. you have as good of a chance with her as you do with [insert super hot superstar here]....

jason
10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
recently into getting a new one but the one I liked was $600+ :eek: the one i 'built' at yesterday was $750 after taxes....:doh:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Originally posted by GreenMonster
ditto, I hate jewelry. I even put up a tussle with the Mrs. over wearing the wedding band. She won that one.

You should know better than to argue with a woman. They always win, they have something that us men need to survive.

kaorder1999
you have as good of a chance with her as you do with [insert super hot superstar here]....

lol.....

and custom made irons....hmmmm

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
you have as good of a chance with her as you do with [insert super hot superstar here]....

So you're telling me there's a chance...

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
ring or custom made irons .... hhhhmmmmm :thinking:

wouldn't even be question at my house - all 3 would get the irons :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
wouldn't even be question at my house - all 3 would get the irons :)

But he already has irons, but he doesn't have a ring...

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
i want a freaking state championship ring.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i want a freaking state championship ring.

I want a Big XII Championship ring.....Man I'm excited about this Spring.

jason
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
mom has been telling me, for the better part of a decade now, that when i graduate college, she'll take me to golfsmith and let me go buck wild...im thinking titleist or nike or mizuno true blades....[insert drooling smiley here]

jason
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I want a Big XII Championship ring.....Man I'm excited about this Spring. in what?? equestrian ?? womens soccer maybe ???

eagles_victory
10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey jason, I'll pay for it if you hook me up with your cousin....haha. i wanna get the hook up with emerson1's sister he showed me a picture one time :clap: :inlove: lol :D

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
i thought about buying a NAtional Championship ring from Jostens and just wearing it around everywhere.

jason
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i wanna get the hook up with emerson1's sister he showed me a picture one time :clap: :inlove: lol :D i will hunt you down if necessary.....:mad: :mad:

of course, you have about as good of a chance as gary haha...which is ZERO...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
i wanna get the hook up with emerson1's sister he showed me a picture one time :clap: :inlove: lol :D

That makes two of us....

TMer25
10-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

That was my reasoning, I absolutely hate jewelry.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
in what?? equestrian ?? womens soccer maybe ???

Football

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
i will hunt you down if necessary.....:mad: :mad:

of course, you have about as good of a chance as gary haha...which is ZERO...

I think I have a chance, maybe not a great chance, but still a chance.

jason
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I think I have a chance, maybe not a great chance, but still a chance. nope, none, zero

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
nope, none, zero

Jason, surely she isn't blind. :D

pancho villa
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a ring but I can't wear it. It is to small for me now.

jason
10-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Jason, surely she isn't blind. :D she would have to be to even consider going out with you:evillol: :evillol:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
she would have to be to even consider going out with you:evillol: :evillol:

I sense envy...haha.

Ranger Mom
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I never have liked rings on guys for some reason.

My husband has his 20 yr. ring he got from work....and unless we go somewhere kinda fancy, he doesn't wear it OR his wedding band.

Im just not a big jewelry person....I wear my wedding ring and a cross necklace at all times.....might wear earrings once a month!

eagles_victory
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
she would have to be to even consider going out with you:evillol: :evillol: and deaf lol jk nah i dont even know what she looks like i didnt even know there was a sister until 3afan said something

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
and deaf lol jk nah i dont even know what she looks like i didnt even know there was a sister until 3afan said something

Oh, well let me tell you, she's very good looking.

CenTexSports
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
RM, since you are in a sharing mood. Any other piercings or tatoos that you want to tell us about?

Ranger Mom
10-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
RM, since you are in a sharing mood. Any other piercings or tatoos that you want to tell us about?

No tats and no additional piercings!!:)

eagles_victory
10-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Oh, well let me tell you, she's very good looking. well what the heck happened to all the males in the family lol

kaorder1999
10-24-2006, 11:27 AM
well what the heck happened to all the males in the family lol

man...thats not nice:eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
well what the heck happened to all the males in the family lol

Looks to me like a shovel to the face....haha

3afan
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
i wanna get the hook up with emerson1's sister he showed me a picture one time :clap: :inlove: lol :D

:mad:

eagles_victory
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
:mad: come on 3afan its a joke from one lumberjack to another

olddawggreen
10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I think the college ring can be worth it, and possibly even helpful, depending on what kind of profession your going in to. In some cases its kind of like wearing your diploma on your hand.

Now I think a highschool ring is one of the biggest waste of all times, although it seems important at the time, its a lot of money for the year or two you really get to wear it.
A college ring is somthing you can wear for the rest of your life if you choose to, This is just my opinion based on my own experiences.:)

BreckTxLonghorn
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I got a UT ring when I graduated, and have worn it every day since. It was a great investment to me, and they even let me do a no interest payment plan. I don't wear much jewelry, but this isn't too flashy, plus like it was said earlier, it's like a diploma you can show at all times. Looks good in interviews with a suit and whatnot.

I also wear one because it's a big deal in my family. My dad and both brothers have worn theirs since they each graduated (Tarleton, Texas, and Tech respectively), so I had always wanted one to show I achieved the same things they have.

It all depends your point of view whether it's worth it, but I personally would have regretted if i didn't have mine.

tree8400
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I graduated from Tarleton in Stephenville. I am glad that i got my ring because people always asking me where did you graduate from. If i did not have the ring no one would know that i graduated college.

mistanice
10-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I just recieved a letter saying I was eligible to get my ring from SHSU. I dont have the money to get one yet, but one day I will. Probably get it next year.

There's now a official Ring at SHSU, that was developed in 2003. Won't ever compare to that of A&M, but I wouldn't mind having one.

Here's a simple pic.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/gxl005/Ringcollage.jpg

raider red 2000
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I have a ring but I can't wear it. It is to small for me now.

i know what you mean.

when i was in college I was a major chub....so my class ring was big....then i lost the weight....and had it resized.

now that i am a chub again....it dosnt fit :(

3afan
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Won't ever compare to that of A&M, ....

eh? if you're an SHSU grad who cares what an A&M ring looks like?

sahen
10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
if you are gonna wear it then get it, if not then dont....At Baylor probably about half of the graduates get rings or so....I have one (they messed it up so I can't wear it for now, thanks Balfour) but once they get that fixed I'll wear it...just depends on your preference....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sahen
if you are gonna wear it then get it, if not then dont....At Baylor probably about half of the graduates get rings or so....I have one (they messed it up so I can't wear it for now, thanks Balfour) but once they get that fixed I'll wear it...just depends on your preference.... Are you going to be at the game Saturday?

sahen
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Are you going to be at the game Saturday?
i never miss the home games....i replied to ur PM

g$$
10-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I am an Aggie grad, so of course I got one. Class of '94 & very proud of my ring. Aggie rings are recognizable everywhere, esp. when you travel.

A&M keeps the cost down because of quantity. Balfour is the ring maker. Contrary to popular belief, A&M does NOT pay for 1/2 the ring. It's all about quantity & keeping costs down for Balfour since they are all the same mold (except with/without diamond & finish desired). Name & class engraved on the inside of the ring.

I would say get one if you are able to do it. It means more as you get older.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I am an Aggie grad, so of course I got one. Class of '94 & very proud of my ring. Aggie rings are recognizable everywhere, esp. when you travel.

A&M keeps the cost down because of quantity. Balfour is the ring maker. Contrary to popular belief, A&M does NOT pay for 1/2 the ring. It's all about quantity & keeping costs down for Balfour since they are all the same mold (except with/without diamond & finish desired). Name & class engraved on the inside of the ring.

I would say get one of you are able to do it. It means more as you get older.

I have 79 more hours until I get my Aggie Ring after this semester.

mistanice
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
eh? if you're an SHSU grad who cares what an A&M ring looks like?

I meant to say the tradition of the ring. SHSU just started the Official shsu ring tradition in '03, where A&M started who knows when.

jason
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Tarleton has a few custom ones too, with different things on them from campus that represent different things...

this is the one i like, except would like it to be silver...

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/6681/colorptarletonstja4.jpg

this one isnt too bad though, again, would like it in silver...

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/9661/b709064051ft7.jpg

Hupernikomen
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM

I think a job should satisfy that desire.

Not many professionals wearing college class rings in my experience, but heck it is all about your attitude and desires. If you want a nice looking ring and have the cash do it..otherwise don't sweat it because most people who buy them don't wear them anyways.

Pudlugger
10-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Never got one. Nor did I get one for hs. The only ring I wear Mrs. Pudlugger gave me when we were wed and I like it fine.:)

olddawggreen
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
There's now a official Ring at SHSU, that was developed in 2003. Won't ever compare to that of A&M, but I wouldn't mind having one.

Here's a simple pic.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/gxl005/Ringcollage.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually if your a SHSU Grad it should mean more to you that an A&M ring. Don't short change yourself.

jason
10-24-2006, 10:57 PM
i wouldnt recognize an a&m ring....unless somebody said 'look at my ring from texas a&m'...theirs are no better than anybody elses...

Bulldog_12
10-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I have 79 more hours until I get my Aggie Ring after this semester.

lol, I have 4.:D Not bragging, just stating facts.

SintonFan
10-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Never got one. Nor did I get one for hs. The only ring I wear Mrs. Pudlugger gave me when we were wed and I like it fine.:)

Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I think a job should satisfy that desire.

Not many professionals wearing college class rings in my experience, but heck it is all about your attitude and desires. If you want a nice looking ring and have the cash do it..otherwise don't sweat it because most people who buy them don't wear them anyways.
I couldn't agree more. I thought about it after graduation but I could not see paying that much for a non-commitment ring(graduating IS the commitment, as well is how you live your life afterward). I do have a few plaques on the wall to remind me what happened back then.:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
lol, I have 4.:D Not bragging, just stating facts.

That's awesome, congrats. :clap:

Are you going to invite me to the party?

wooden bear
10-25-2006, 01:16 AM
I have ten

AggieJohn
10-25-2006, 08:20 AM
i don't want to be a sentimental whore, but I don't know if i want to get my islanders ring..i have the hours, but do i want to kick in the money for it? I really want to get my Doctorate from College Station and i'll get my ring that way, and I know I'll wear that ring for sure, but i'm not sure if I'll wear my Islander ring. They don't even have similarities.

bulldogman06
10-25-2006, 08:28 AM
If you are sure about gettin your doctorates at cs, then wait. Oh, and Bulldog_12, when ya dunkin??

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I wear my Midwestern State University ring proudly. (Although I have three other degrees I only have a ring from my undergraduate work).

Worth the money.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-25-2006, 09:45 AM
i wouldnt recognize an a&m ring....unless somebody said 'look at my ring from texas a&m'...theirs are no better than anybody elses...

I would. I have seen plenty of them.

AggieJohn
10-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I would. I have seen plenty of them. their more prominent than you would tihnk

lepfan
10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
when ya dunkin?? it seems like (from the aggies I know) that that was more important than getting the ring itself....they looked forward to getting the ring so they could "dunk".

AggieJohn
10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
well it's harder than crap to get, seriously.....you have to be like in your last 15 hours of your degree plan to get yours

lepfan
10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
well it's harder than crap to get, seriously.....you have to be like in your last 15 hours of your degree plan to get yours Not any harder than any other college as I see it....apparently they just have a rule some colleges don't have..."you have to be within 15 hours of your degree plan" other than that you go through the same blood, sweat, and tears to get through the classes. (as I see it)

Maroon87
10-25-2006, 10:41 AM

I got mine through the alumni assoc (TAMUK) right before I graduated. They had a deal with Balfour I believe. I still wear my ring to this day.:cool:

jason
10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking I'll get one, eventually, maybe next semester, since it will be my last - guess I'll build it a little less expensive, dont need any real silver or real diamonds or anything like that...

maybe i can find one on ebay haha....