PDA

View Full Version : La Grange-Giddings Oldest Rivalry

Pudlugger
10-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Oldest rivalry in Central Texas with two teams that traditionally view this match as the Big Game. Bragging rights for Highway 77 Fayette/Lee Counties and pride are on the line. Most of these kids know one another and sometimes are related as only 20 miles separates the two schools. Giddings has much to prove this year as the Leps have been a real thorn in their side. In 2001 they had their best season in over 50 years going to the state semi-final only to lose a hard fought game 21-13 to the Leps in the AstroDome. They finished the season 13-2 both loses going to the Leps. That year the Buffs defeated several great teams including Newton and Rice Consolidated. The Buffs lost their fine coach to promotion and went through a tumultuous and conflict ridden season with the new coach who only lasted one season in Giddings. Now with their third coach in three years the Buffs are really playing well and have made folks around here take notice. This should be the best and toughest contest all year for both teams. LG lost a key defensive player , Sam Gunn All District first team safety last night for at least two weeks (dislocated shoulder). #90 junior safety Zapalac really stepped up to keep the LG D solid helping to secure the win last night so I think the Leps D will be fine against Giddings next week. The game will be another exciting one and I would expect the lead to change a few times with the team making the fewest mistakes winning. Let's have a clean match with no injuries. Good luck Leps. Beat Giddings!!! :)

La Grange 27
Giddings 14

lepfan
10-18-2003, 08:28 AM
LaGrange VS Giddings ~AKA~ Warda Bowl

LG - 28
Giddings - 6

(is Giddings offense still out to lunch?)

Pudlugger
10-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Lepfan check your pm.

lepfan
10-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Pudlugger:
Lepfan check your pm.got it...sent you one

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-18-2003, 04:05 PM
yep, the big game, or (warda bowl), lol.
well most likely LG haS this one, but u really and I mean really never know what can happen with this rivalry.
Hope Giddings wins, they could of won in 01 the both times they played LG, and they almost won last year at LG, and this year well, we'll know by friday night.
GO BUFFS GO.

Pudlugger
10-18-2003, 04:44 PM
luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv:
yep, the big game, or (warda bowl), lol.
well most likely LG haS this one, but u really and I mean really never know what can happen with this rivalry.
Hope Giddings wins, they could of won in 01 the both times they played LG, and they almost won last year at LG, and this year well, we'll know by friday night.
GO BUFFS GO.Luis Giddings was never really in that game last year. They lost by 2 TDs.

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-19-2003, 04:52 PM
O.k. they lost by two td's correct?
Did Giddings ever have the lead? yes no.
What was the score at halftime? a lot to none...I think not.
Look I'm not saying Giddings would of stomped LG last year, I'm just saying what I saw. I went to that game and I remember it being a close one untill the last few minutes or so.
But anyways past is the past.
Now to the next Warda Bowl
La Grange 17
Giddings 21
GO BUFFS GO.

Pudlugger
10-19-2003, 05:53 PM
luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv:
O.k. they lost by two td's correct?
Did Giddings ever have the lead? yes no.
What was the score at halftime? a lot to none...I think not.
Look I'm not saying Giddings would of stomped LG last year, I'm just saying what I saw. I went to that game and I remember it being a close one untill the last few minutes or so.
But anyways past is the past.
Now to the next Warda Bowl
La Grange 17
Giddings 21
GO BUFFS GO.What Giddings did that no other team had done except Yoakum in the opener was to score 3 tds on the Lep defense. That was impressive. I don't recall the half-time score but I don't think Giddings ever led in the game unless it was briefly. Giddings is a good team and I expect the Leps will have to play their best game to win in Buffalo country. :)

<small>[ October 19, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

lepfan
10-19-2003, 07:44 PM
luis....check pm :)

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-20-2003, 09:41 AM
I got it and I replied.
Thankz.
I'm still hoping giddings wins.
GO BUFFS GO.

buffalo booster
10-20-2003, 10:21 AM
La Grange appears to have the better team at this point in the season, and will easily qualify for the playoffs, barring an improbable collapse. LG has already gotten past Elgin and Manor, and probably needs to just win one more, with Giddings, Hutto and Smithville their only remaining district games.

Giddings, however, has already lost once in district, and needs this game to stay alive for a playoff spot. (Losing this Friday would make the Hutto and Elgin games must-win situations.) Sometimes, the team that needs the victory the most, and is a little bit "hungrier," gets an advantage. Playing at home in Giddings won't hurt, either.

This game could be another good one in a great rivalry between the two schools.

Pudlugger
10-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Collier-Sharpe has La Grange by 19. I think it will be a little closer, maybe by 10-14 points.

La Grange 27
Giddings 14

<small>[ October 20, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

gochargers!!
10-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Go BUFFS....big game...WORK HARD!!!

gochargers!!
10-20-2003, 12:48 PM
By the way.....HOW ABOUT MY CHARGERS!!?? LT had a great game....200 yds. rushing

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Giddings just might win this one,
GO BUFFS GO.
La Grange 17
Giddings 21.

offensive coach
10-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I played on last years team for Giddings and we had the lead a little while the first half. Giddings needs to win this game bad but the way the o-line and QB are playing I don't see the buffs winning. I've watch them play all year long and it looks like their getting worst instead of better. I've also heard that the QB for La Grange has really turned on the iginiton and started running all over the other teams defenses.
And if you want to talk about how big the rivarly is think about this my mom is from giddings and my dad is from the La Grange so the rivarly really meant alot to me. frown

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Hey offensive Coach, what are u up too, school/work?

oldlep27
10-20-2003, 05:37 PM
hey offense coach,
what position did you play????
Just by chance we could remember eachother...
I still have the game tape...I watch it everyonce in a while.
jt

Pudlugger
10-20-2003, 06:31 PM
offensive coach:
I played on last years team for Giddings and we had the lead a little while the first half. Giddings needs to win this game bad but the way the o-line and QB are playing I don't see the buffs winning. I've watch them play all year long and it looks like their getting worst instead of better. I've also heard that the QB for La Grange has really turned on the iginiton and started running all over the other teams defenses.
And if you want to talk about how big the rivarly is think about this my mom is from giddings and my dad is from the La Grange so the rivarly really meant alot to me. :(Yeah, I think they led 14-7 for a few minutes in the second quarter. The thing is Giddings always plays well against La Grange and vice versa. This will be the best game of the year for both teams especially the winner. Leps are working hard to get prepared. The O line has really stepped up allowing big yardage for Anderle, Wilson and Hernandez. The pass protection is better. Anderle has been picking the receivers well and they have done a great job getting open and making the catch the last few games. The Giddings D will not be able to stack the box and hope to shut down the Leps Offense. Good luck to all, no injuries and a good clean contest! :)

offensive coach
10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
:D I was #55 last year and I played left tackle. And to Luis from northwood yes all i am doing is going to school and trying to keep my grades up not really working anywhere right now. :p

Gobbla2001
10-21-2003, 12:37 PM
LG by 1...

Pudlugger
10-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Gobbla2001:
LG by 1...Thanks for the vote Gobbla but I don't think it will be that close. LG by 12-14 points.

LG 27
Giddings 14

Big Cheese
10-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Offensive Coach where are you going to school at? I'm taking 18 hours and don't have near as much work to do as some of my friends who have less hours.

offensive coach
10-21-2003, 06:09 PM
I think it will be a pretty close game. The Buffs are really in a must win situation so I see them pulling this one off. The defense will keep the buffs in the game but the QB and O-Line for Giddings is going to have to step it up if they intend to win this game. So since I'm Giddings I say the buffs will win. But the QB has got to play better it makes me sick to watch him play.

Giddings 17
La Grange 14 eek!

Mustang '89
10-21-2003, 10:21 PM
If the same Giddings team from last week (vs. Manor) shows up, it won't be close. But, you can never tell in rivalry games.

La Grange 28
Giddings 17

<small>[ October 21, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Mustang '89 ]</small>

oldlep27
10-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey Offense Coach,
I do remember you... YOU played pretty hard last year. I remember when you guys ran a screen, I ran up field and then noticed it late. As i turned to run, you had already posted up to blindside me. Luckily before you took off my head, i tilted my body and you just knicked me..I was very luck....You were about to lay a hit too. Anyway, Hope all is good in College.
Keep posting,
Josh
#27 Defensive end.(ex)
Ps I wonder if you remember that play

lepfan
10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Mustang89 check pm :)

Mustang '89
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Lepfan check your PM.

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Hey offensive coach, do u know who CD1 is, he rarely writes posts of here but I think I know who he is, but I'm not sure.

Pudlugger
10-23-2003, 07:10 AM
I gotta say Giddings' home uniforms are way cool!!! Love that black on gold with gold helmets. Pretty much like the other Buffs at Colorado.

I like LG's home uniforms too, especially the purple on purple pants and jersies.

Hope giddings is working hard 'cause the Leps are getting real salty right now and want this game badly. They will be coming ready to play football.
:D
LG 27
Giddings 14

Pudlugger
10-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Well the Lep Freshman and JVs won in very impressive games tonight :
Freshman 36-12
JV 23-18

The young Leps are looking very good. The future is bright for La Grange as the talent pool seems to be running real deep these days. Now for the varsity, go out there and take the game to Giddings. Go Leps!

LG 27
Giddings 14

<small>[ October 23, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Pudlugger
10-24-2003, 08:30 AM
My thoughts on the Warda Bowl, battle of highway 77!

Giddings will try to throw on La Grange. The Qb will throw short swing passes to the flat and, of course, will try to burn the Leps on the screen. Safety Zapalac, who had a good game last Friday after Gunn's injury, most likely will be tested on deep patterns as well. With the Lep defensive secondary rich in experience Giddings will have their hands full here. I would not be surprised to see some interceptions tonight by the Lep secondary. Giddings likes to run wide but I don't think they have enough speed to be successful there. Manor had much more speed and could not get the job done on the ground with both their TDs comming from deep crossing patterns over the middle. Meanwhile the Lep MLbs will be shooting the gaps and generally making life difficult for the Buff Qb. The Lep offense will undoubtedly grind it out mostly on the ground with a passing play every so often to keep the Buff linebackers honest. With Hernandez at tailback and Wilson at fullback the Leps running game has attained a new deminsion of speed and agility to the outside, and quickness and power up the middle. The running game has really benefited from Coach V's decision to move big #64 Hickle to center and the physical and big former blocking TE #70 Stiffler to right tackle. The Lep line is now wall to wall big men from right to left tackles. As usual the game will turn on mistakes and turnovers with the winning team capitalizing on them. The Leps have improved in ball handling immensely since the fumble prone openner with Yoakum. They are confident now and play with poise. It is obvious that the 2003 Leps smell victory and are nearing their peak just in time for the play-offs. Good luck tonight and hope for an injury free clean contest for both teams. Go Leps!!! :D

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

backer24
10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
giddings doesn't stand a chance, yes it is a rival game but their offense is to weak. they play hard but have very little talent. they should stick to the running game and not throw the ball. number 3 is there best back and should keep the ball in his hands. they have no recievers that can catch, they are there just to talk trash.

Pudlugger
10-24-2003, 01:31 PM
The Warda Bowl is really getting the sports world's attention. Why just now I saw John Madden's bus pull up and park next to the ESPN satalite van. The town is full of people from all over the world. I ran into a North Korean sportswritter at Boss House of Steaks last night. Great guy, we threw back a few Shiners and talked football for hours. We were laughing at the Swedish sportswriters contingent who couldn't order their steaks right. Kept wanting meatballs or something like that. Oh well. Those North Koreans have a great sense of humor and can really hold their booze!
Last night it was exciting to watch the Jerry Rome show, especially when Coach V jumped over the table and grabbed Rome by the collar for what he said about our offense!!! Word to the wise, don't get our coach angry 'cause he's a fighter!

The local economy here in Fayette and Lee Counties is really getting a shot in the arm. All hotel rooms, bed and breakfasts and even the homes of our private citizens are overflowing with fans for this big game. Everyone is excited about who will receive the trophy for winning this biggest of big games...a three foot bronze replica of the thing that started this rivalry in the first place... A Warda Burger! Yes, Giddings folks claim it was invented in Lee County but La Grange folks point out that the meat came from our very own Brahma steers raised right here in La Grange and the chef who made the first Warda Burger comes from a long line of Czech farmers who settled in this county back in the 19th Century. So there you have it...the History and tradition of this great rivalry that has propelled La Grange and Giddings onto the front pages of the sports sections of every major newspaper in the country! Go Leps!!! Beat Giddings!!! :D :D

Pudlugger
10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
The Goodyear blimp just pulled in over Giddings. Circling the stadium as I write this! The excitment builds!!!

gochargers!!
10-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Come on, BUFFS.....You can do it.. With all of this national exposure, the Buffs ought to be fired up!

Pudlugger
10-24-2003, 05:42 PM
The Navy seals paragliding team just dropped into the stadium folks what a sight to see!! This Warda Bowl is going to be the best ever!!!! Go Leps :D

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Pud, what happend man....lol...
I told you with this "warda bowl" anything can happen. Good job Giddings.
By the way did La Grange ever lead the game?
Anyways good luck to LG the rest of the season and go hard in the playoffs.
And for Giddings keep up the "D" and Work on that Offense.
GO BUFFS GO.
GATW.....GATW..........GATW......GATW.
GO BUFFS GO.

Pudlugger
10-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Yes they did lead early on. La Grange took the openning kickoff and marched down the field to score on the first possession. Then they got stopped on 4th and 1 at the 14 yardline attempting an option run to the right. Next possession they attempted a punt, it got blocked and #15 scooped and ran to score Giddings' first TD. Up until then they hadn't made a first down against the LG defense. Latter in the second period the LG defense stopped Giddings for 3rd and long on their own 18. LG for some reason called a timeout. The next play Giddings blew out the LG middle and #3 went 82 yards to take the lead 13-7. In the 3rd period LG stopped Giddings again deep in their own territory 3 and out. However, the ensuing punt was fumbled on the LG 45 yardline and Giddings drove against a tired defense to score making it 21 to 7 with the two point conversion. LG came back in the 4th quarter scoring twice but missing on both the 2 point conversions. It looked grim with 3 minutes to go, but for some reason Giddings decided to throw the football on third and long and Pittman, #1, intercepted and ran it to the Giddings 37 yardline. With just under three minutes to play LG decided to go to the air with one time out remaining even though they had been successfully running the ball against Giddings all night. They went 4 and out, Giddings then ran out the clock. :( Good luck to the Buffs, a team with real heart.

<small>[ October 27, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Who does La Grange play next?
Who does Giddings play next?
Elgin and Manor,
Elgin by 1 TD.

MARLINFAN
10-29-2003, 10:23 AM
hardcrushing blow to lg i feel so bad for them. NOT

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
10-29-2003, 12:50 PM