PDA

View Full Version : The REAL (wannabe) Region I GOTW: S'water-Wylie

EricDraven
10-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Okay, great programs, great traditions, great coaches. Who wins this one? Wylie has come out on top recently, but is this Sweetwater's year?

mrescape43
10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
It always seems that Wylie matches up well against Sweetwater but I think that the Mustangs have too much speed this year.

EricDraven
10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Is depth a concern for the 'Stangs?

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
It always seems that Wylie matches up well against Sweetwater but I think that the Mustangs have too much speed this year.

Sweetwater doesn't have any more speed this year than they've had the past two years. Same kids in the backfield last time I looked.

STANG RED
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Is depth a concern for the 'Stangs?

Nothing like last year. We are mostley healthy this time around. We have lost one lineman / kicker for the year, and our FB had his elbow disslocated 2 weeks ago, but I think he will be playing. I dont think we had any injuries against Clyde.

EricDraven
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
That's what I was thinking. When healthy, you guys are super tough. Heck, when beat up physically, you guys are super tough. Outta be another classic.

westtexasfbfan
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Nothing like last year. We are mostley healthy this time around. We have lost one lineman / kicker for the year, and our FB had his elbow disslocated 2 weeks ago, but I think he will be playing. I dont think we had any injuries against Clyde.

I still think the Snyder @ Greenwood game is the better game!

EricDraven
10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Nah. Will be good, but not as good.

DaHop72
10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Sweetwater doesn't have any more speed this year than they've had the past two years. Same kids in the backfield last time I looked. I went to the game Friday night and even though it may be the same bunch of kids, it would appear that they are faster on both sides of the ball. It may have been deceptive because of the team they were playing but it really appeared that way.

STANG RED
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Sweetwater doesn't have any more speed this year than they've had the past two years. Same kids in the backfield last time I looked.

Actually thats not true. Our #1 & #2 QBs were hurt last year so Wylie got to see #3. Duone Cunnings is the QB this year, and has about the same speed as Banyard. Duone was the #2 last year, and was out with a broken collar bone. In fact we were missing 4 two way starters last year. We are only missing one two way lineman, so far this year, so I look for a much better game this time around. We were just too outmaned last year.

Ranger Mom
10-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Nah. Will be good, but not as good.

That is strictly a matter of opinion....and yours and mine differ!!:p

mustang68
10-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Guess it depends on the involvement?
;)

DaHop72
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is strictly a matter of opinion....and yours and mine differ!!:p I agree RM and I've already told them about opinions.

Oh yeah, by the way.

SNYDER 35
greenwood 21:devil:

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Actually thats not true. Our #1 & #2 QBs were hurt last year so Wylie got to see #3. Duone Cunnings is the QB this year, and has about the same speed as Banyard. Duone was the #2 last year, and was out with a broken collar bone. In fact we were missing 4 two way starters last year. We are only missing one two way lineman, so far this year, so I look for a much better game this time around. We were just too outmaned last year.

How would you compare the Cunnings kid to Carillo?

EricDraven
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM
That is strictly a matter of opinion....and yours and mine differ!!:p

True mom. Just having a lil' fun. Any of three games could've got the nod. Good luck to you guys.

Snydertigersrul
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Looks like the Sweetwater posters are already coming up with reasons for losing. Wylie has Sweetwater's number and that will continue on Friday night. If you don't think Wylie's defense is that good, call over at Frenship and ask the running back who was averaging more than 200 yards a game. He managed to get 40. If the Tigers were not playing Greenwood, I would be at this game.

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Looks like the Sweetwater posters are already coming up with reasons for losing. Wylie has Sweetwater's number and that will continue on Friday night. If you don't think Wylie's defense is that good, call over at Frenship and ask the running back who was averaging more than 200 yards a game. He managed to get 40. If the Tigers were not playing Greenwood, I would be at this game.

Well said, good luck to you Friday against the Rangers from Greenwood.

Snydertigersrul
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43

Speed, speed, speed, that's all we hear every year about Sweetwater, but it doesn't erase the fact that they have lost the last two games to Wylie

WYLIE 13
SWEETWATER 7

WYLIE 26
SWEETWATER 3

Who is the team with the tradition?

DaHop72
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Speed, speed, speed, that's all we hear every year about Sweetwater, but it doesn't erase the fact that they have lost the last two games to Wylie

WYLIE 13
SWEETWATER 7

WYLIE 26
SWEETWATER 3

Who is the team with the tradition? Speed kills. The past two years have no bearing on the game this year. Wylie had to replace some intricate parts of their team from last year and Friday night will tell if they were able to do so.

Sounds like another Friday night game.:thinking: :thinking:

mustang68
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM

WYLIE 13
SWEETWATER 7

WYLIE 26
SWEETWATER 3

Who is the team with the tradition?
Too bad you have nothing else to add. Typical snyder post.
:hand:

STANG RED
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Carillo had alot of football savy along with great athletics. Cunnings may be just a tad bit faster over all, but probably not quiet as quick. He's also a little bigger. Its really hard to compare them much though, since Carillo missed most of last season, and only took a few snaps at QB. Overall theres probably not a big difference in them. Cunnings may have the better arm, but unless we change tactics drastically, that shouldnt really matter anyway. But he has shown signs of pretty good passing. Dont be surprised to see a few more attempts than usual.

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Speed kills. The past two years have no bearing on the game this year. Wylie had to replace some intricate parts of their team from last year and Friday night will tell if they were able to do so.

Sounds like another Friday night game.:thinking: :thinking:

Wylie did replace some intriate parts, but in each case they replace them with a better part. This is the best defense the Wylie's ever had, and they've had some pretty good ones over the past 6 or 7 years. Sweetwater is talented and well coached, but I don't think they will win if they continue to be one diminsional this Friday night.

STANG RED
10-23-2006, 02:41 PM

STR, if I could buy your DA opinion for what its worth, and sell it for what you think its worth, I could buy out Bill Gates.

DaHop72
10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Wylie did replace some intriate parts, but in each case they replace them with a better part. This is the best defense the Wylie's ever had, and they've had some pretty good ones over the past 6 or 7 years. Sweetwater is talented and well coached, but I don't think they will win if they continue to be one diminsional this Friday night. My opinion and it was just that. I have seen Sweetwater play this year and have not seen Wylie play. No offense, but I find it very hard, after seeing Case play the last two years to believe that Gary is a better QB. Taking nothing away from Gary's ability, I just don't see how in one football season he could be better. Also, the same would go for the Robertson kid as well. If it seemed that I was dogging Wylie, I wasn't and those who know me would tell you so.

mustang68
10-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Wylie did replace some intriate parts, but in each case they replace them with a better part. This is the best defense the Wylie's ever had, and they've had some pretty good ones over the past 6 or 7 years. Sweetwater is talented and well coached, but I don't think they will win if they continue to be one diminsional this Friday night.
You're right .:eek: I had no idea:confused: You win this one by 5 touchdowns;)

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
My opinion and it was just that. I have seen Sweetwater play this year and have not seen Wylie play. No offense, but I find it very hard, after seeing Case play the last two years to believe that Gary is a better QB. Taking nothing away from Gary's ability, I just don't see how in one football season he could be better. Also, the same would go for the Robertson kid as well. If it seemed that I was dogging Wylie, I wasn't and those who know me would tell you so.

I never said Gary is a better QB than Case. Wylie will never have another QB like Case. If you read my post, I was talking about Defense. And as for the Robertson kid, the kid's that have taken his place are just as effective and they don't give up 60 yards of personal fouls and offsides penalties ever game.

Texasfootball2
10-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
You're right .:eek: I had no idea:confused: You win this one by 5 touchdowns;)

What's your point?

DaHop72
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I never said Gary is a better QB than Case. Wylie will never have another QB like Case. If you read my post, I was talking about Defense. And as for the Robertson kid, the kid's that have taken his place are just as effective and they don't give up 60 yards of personal fouls and offsides penalties ever game. Your first sentence made reference to Wylie as a whole. That is where the Case vs. Gary came from. Then you talked about the defense.:thinking:

mustang68
10-23-2006, 03:06 PM
What's your point?
What's my point?

You're kidding right?

mustang04
10-23-2006, 04:21 PM

but you see...sweetwater doesnt have ONE single guy that can run the ball from the backfield....i promise you, if Banyard, green, or cunnings werent all 3 in the same backfield and were the lone stud running back on another team, they'd ALL be rackin up WAY more yards per game than they are now

we might be one dimensional...but we are CERTAINLY multi-optional:D

jlwzz
10-23-2006, 05:20 PM
well i will stay out of this one and see who comes out on top

Good Luck to both teams :clap:

thewyliefan
10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
i dont know how this went from talking about the game friday to talking about who was better in the past. all people should worry about is what is going to happen friday at 730, right?:)

but yes i would agree with who ever it was saying that this wylie D is one of the best if not the best they have had.

sww-bull52
10-23-2006, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thewyliefan
[B]i dont know how this went from talking about the game friday to talking about who was better in the past. all people should worry about is what is going to happen friday at 730, right?:)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said.

Tweeder215
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Wylie is GOOD.......However, while I'm not gonna get into all the pregame trash talking, I will tell you that Sweetwater is better. As soon as this game is over then I will be right back to being a huge Wylie fan and wish them luck in Division 1, but until then I don't think that they can beat us. Good luck to both teams, and I hope everyone stays healthy after what should be a very very hard fought game.

sweetwater07
10-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
Too bad you have nothing else to add. Typical snyder post.
:hand:

nicely stated.....you gonna be at the game this Friday??...see you Friday morning with my popcorn

sweetwater07
10-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
Wylie is GOOD.......However, while I'm not gonna get into all the pregame trash talking, I will tell you that Sweetwater is better. As soon as this game is over then I will be right back to being a huge Wylie fan and wish them luck in Division 1, but until then I don't think that they can beat us. Good luck to both teams, and I hope everyone stays healthy after what should be a very very hard fought game.

i concur..i am also a huge Wylie fan( my 2nd fav. 3A team)....so this is going to be a great game for me...

PHS Wildcats
10-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Just wondering what makes this the "Real Region 1 GOTW"?

I thought Greenwood and Snyder was it!!!

sweetwater07
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

seems as though the Wylie and Sweetwater fans believe this should be the game of the week versus the other one....lol

Stownhorse
10-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
but you see...sweetwater doesnt have ONE single guy that can run the ball from the backfield....i promise you, if Banyard, green, or cunnings werent all 3 in the same backfield and were the lone stud running back on another team, they'd ALL be rackin up WAY more yards per game than they are now

And dont forget Davis, when that kid gets the ball I swear he gets atleast 10 yards a carry at the FB position and you hardly even notice.

sweetwater07
10-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
And dont forget Davis, when that kid gets the ball I swear he gets atleast 10 yards a carry at the FB position and you hardly even notice.

hes like a train...truckin ppl all night

Scholar
10-23-2006, 10:58 PM

I don't know.... Right now, you can't just focus on one of them and shut them down. You have to be on the lookout for all 3 of them including the fullback. If there was only one of them in the backfield, I believe that they would be easier to stop. When they gang up on you, they'll beat you up pretty bad. I've seen it before, and there's not much that anyone will do about it.

Oh, and the reason that alot of people are arguing that this may be the game of the week, is that it might should be. If it was up to me, both games would be co-games of the week.

Stownhorse
10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Carillo had alot of football savy along with great athletics. Cunnings may be just a tad bit faster over all, but probably not quiet as quick. He's also a little bigger. Its really hard to compare them much though, since Carillo missed most of last season, and only took a few snaps at QB. Overall theres probably not a big difference in them. Cunnings may have the better arm, but unless we change tactics drastically, that shouldnt really matter anyway. But he has shown signs of pretty good passing. Dont be surprised to see a few more attempts than usual.

IDK Carillo was pretty fast...for his size...not tsking away from Cunnings any.

mrescape43
10-23-2006, 11:17 PM

True but they are 1 year older and playing better.

NDFootball
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
This is gonna be a good one....

like I've been saying all along

We'll see Oct. 27

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 02:26 AM
IDK Carillo was pretty fast...for his size...not tsking away from Cunnings any.

I agree that KC was fast for his size but if you think he can run with Duone then I want whatever it is that you're on. I used to say that KC was better because he was smarter, but the more I watch Duone run the option, the more I forget about Kendal. No offense to Kendal who was/is (playin college baseball) a great player, but Duone is amazing. I will say that IMO Kendal was more of a field general than what I have seen from Duone so far.

DukeNukem
10-24-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree that KC was fast for his size but if you think he can run with Duone then I want whatever it is that you're on. I used to say that KC was better because he was smarter, but the more I watch Duone run the option, the more I forget about Kendal. No offense to Kendal who was/is (playin college baseball) a great player, but Duone is amazing. I will say that IMO Kendal was more of a field general than what I have seen from Duone so far.

i do not feel cunnings can win games for the stangs like carrillo did. he basically won the iowa park game for sweetwater last year. kept several drives alive and had a key punt return running on basically one leg and threw the game winning td pass. iowa park dominated that game and had it in the bag until carrillo basically just made up his mind that he was not ready for the season to be over.

Ranger Mom
10-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
seems as though the Wylie and Sweetwater fans believe this should be the game of the week versus the other one....lol

HAHAHA!! You know those Sweetwater fans...think they have to be "numero uno" in EVERYTHING!!!:p :p

zeus63
10-24-2006, 08:55 AM
HAHAHA!! You know those Sweetwater fans...think they have to be "numero uno" in EVERYTHING!!!:p :p

Let's go ahead and give Sweetwater/Wylie fans the Ms. America disclaimer:

You are the runner-up GOTW. If for any reason the GOTW fails to complete, or is unable to complete its assigned function, then the runner-up GOTW will assume the GOTW duties.

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by zeus63

You are the runner-up GOTW. If for any reason the GOTW fails to complete, or is unable to complete its assigned function, then the runner-up GOTW will assume the GOTW duties.
Hahahahahaha! :D

http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/medaille4.gif

STANG RED
10-24-2006, 09:14 AM

No thanks. We are not sister kissers out here!
It's all or nothing, or we will just take our toys and go home. :p

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
:D

DukeNukem
10-24-2006, 09:39 AM

now thats funny!

Johnny Moxen
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
May sound like a homer post (cause it is), but I will go with Wylie on this one. Sweetwater has talent and plenty of speed (and we all know that speed kills). However, you need that speed going North and South and not East and West which is what we have seen from the "Sweetwater Speeds Backs" the last two years.

I also polled someone from Clyde (non-biased, yet with an inside perspective) and they thought that the Wylie Defense was much better than that of Sweetwater's becuase they were able to have more success with what they were trying to do offensively. He thought that this would be a great game (Wyle vs. Sweetwater) and that the Wylie D would be able to hold their own against the Sweetwater O.

In the end, I think it will be a great game and can't wait for Friday night to get here.

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
It will be a classic. I say the Wylie D stands out and sets up the O in some good field position. S'water will break a few here and there. Final score prediction: Bulldogs 17, Mustangs 10.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 11:02 AM

It may just be differences of opinions, but I think that both Wylie and Sweetwater would both beat Greenwood and Snyder right now. And if you gave the average high school football fan with no alligance of any kind a choice of which game they would attend, 95% would probably choose the Wylie/Sweetwater game.

I think that probably makes it at least one of the games of the week, especially in comparison to the "other" game.

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
It may just be differences of opinions, but I think that both Wylie and Sweetwater would both beat Greenwood and Snyder right now. And if you gave the average high school football fan with no alligance of any kind a choice of which game they would attend, 95% would probably choose the Wylie/Sweetwater game.

I think that probably makes it at least one of the games of the week, especially in comparison to the "other" game. There you go with your "opinions" again.:devil: :devil:

zeus63
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM

I think that probably makes it at least one of the games of the week, especially in comparison to the "other" game.

You may be right. However, the statement made was a joke. The fact that this has to be pointed out to you, makes it very obvious that you have no sense of humor.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
You may be right. However, the statement made was a joke. The fact that this has to be pointed out to you, makes it very obvious that you have no sense of humor. :kiss: :hairpunk: :eek: :o :clap: :inlove: :D HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thats funny!

Bubba-Joe
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.kateconnick.com/postcards/bulldog.jpg

This is how the dogs will look after chasing those 3/4 backs from Sweetwater all over the place Friday night..
nippin at them hosses heels as the run up and down the field
http://eaglebears.com/catalog/cards/big/horses/c4.jpg

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Yes, just like in 04, 05. Wait, those hosses were sent to Purina and turned into DOG FOOD.:D

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, just like in 04, 05. Wait, those hosses were sent to Purina and turned into DOG FOOD.:D

It's normally us who brings up the past...but I think we have done a good job not to this week. Now, more to my point, every year is a different team so those games don't matter, just like when we mopped the field with Abilene Wylie in '02, '03. Those games don't matter either, so let's just see about Friday.

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Point taken! Just having some fun. I pull for us, but respect the heck out of the Mustangs.

exbulldog06
10-24-2006, 01:02 PM

hahahahahaha now thats funny

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 01:06 PM

I'm sorry but this year the defense is nowhere near as good as what they had in 2000. There is no way they would've allowed 34 points to Wimberley or (IMO even worse) 18 points to an anemic Brownwood offense. This year they have a very good defense...but it wouldn't matchup with the defense from 2000.

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Point taken! Just having some fun. I pull for us, but respect the heck out of the Mustangs.

Oh, I'm just kidding too. There is only one other team that I have as much respect as I do for Sweetwater and you guys are it. I love this game almost as much as I love playing Snyder, only for different reason. I like Wylie/Sweetwater cause it is normally always a great game, but I like Snyder/Sweetwater just because I LOATHE snyder and want our guys to hang up 80 points and leave no doubt every time we play.

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh, I'm just kidding too. There is only one other team that I have as much respect as I do for Sweetwater and you guys are it. I love this game almost as much as I love playing Snyder, only for different reason. I like Wylie/Sweetwater cause it is normally always a great game, but I like Snyder/Sweetwater just because I LOATHE snyder and want our guys to hang up 80 points and leave no doubt every time we play.

Sweet! At least we can agree on respect and SNYDER!:D

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Sweet! At least we can agree on respect and SNYDER!:D

Ya, no kidding. It's partially because I have met tons of people from both places and really like EVERYONE I have met from Wylie (some of my best friends graduated from there) and then there is Snyder (while there are exceptions, Dahop and a very very select few) who even off the field I have no respect for. You have to earn it and they never have

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 01:18 PM
So let me ask you this, just to stir the pot even more. How fast if Gary? Well, I guess what I'm asking is do you think he is faster than say..........Banyard?

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
So let me ask you this, just to stir the pot even more. How fast if Gary? Well, I guess what I'm asking is do you think he is faster than say..........Banyard?

Whew! That's a tough one. Kind of like comparing a diamond and an emerald. Both are special. Edwards is lightning quick, though.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Barnyard - pure speed (not as quick as Edwards and Green)
Green - quickness & speed
Edwards - (lightning) quickness & speed

Gary Edwards may be the quickest and fastest combination I've ever on a football field, ( not a track ). Green would be the second, but not by much. I would lean toward Edwards probably because I see him every week and only see Green a couple of times a year. These guys have gears that very few humans have, especially in a football uniform.

You guys are so right. What makes this rivalry so special is that after the game is over, most of the fans become dual fans and will genuinally rout for the other team to succeed in the playoffs.
Only 57 hrs and 10 min. until kickoff.

Butkus
10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I tell ya what texas that Banyard lad will knock ya jock of sumthing those uther too wont.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I will not agrue that point with you, neither of the other two are the most physical players. I have seen Gary make some good tough runs, and I'm sure Green makes some also, but Banyard is a great player on both sides of the ball.

EricDraven
10-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Classy programs, classy fans, classy kids. Hope Sweetwater runs the tables...after the Wylie game.:D

shadow13
10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
So let me ask you this, just to stir the pot even more. How fast if Gary? Well, I guess what I'm asking is do you think he is faster than say..........Banyard? Gary and Skye are on one level of speed and Banyard and Cunnings are on another level, I know alot of you will not understand what I'm talking about here, but I have watched these 4 guys run since middle school and Gary and Skye has ran Varsity track with alot of success since their freshman yr.

shadow13
10-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
I tell ya what texas that Banyard lad will knock ya jock of sumthing those uther too wont. Butkus are you the president of the club?

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
You guys are so right. What makes this rivalry so special is that after the game is over, most of the fans become dual fans and will genuinally rout for the other team to succeed in the playoffs.
Only 57 hrs and 10 min. until kickoff.

That...plus we'll both root against Snyder! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Nah...I like Snyder...well at least I like Lance Day! ;)

shadow13
10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Green - quickness & speed
Edwards - (lightning) quickness & speed

Gary Edwards may be the quickest and fastest combination I've ever on a football field, ( not a track ). Green would be the second, but not by much. I would lean toward Edwards probably because I see him every week and only see Green a couple of times a year. These guys have gears that very few humans have, especially in a football uniform.

Only 57 hrs and 10 min. until kickoff. Can you explain pure speed?

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by shadow13
Butkus are you the president of the club? What club would that be shadow? The Snyder haters club, he talked bad about me being at the game Friday.:mad:

gibby
10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Gary and Skye are on one level of speed and Banyard and Cunnings are on another level, I know alot of you will not understand what I'm talking about here, but I have watched these 4 guys run since middle school and Gary and Skye has ran Varsity track with alot of success since their freshman yr.
There are a few Wylie players not mentioned so far, but will make a big impact. Defense - Jennings, fast and hard hitting. Rogers and Gilmore on offense both can run and score. Good luck to all. You will give us fans a great evening of football. Thanks ahead of time.

Peace

Vote Kinky!

shadow13
10-24-2006, 02:57 PM
What club would that be shadow? The Snyder haters club, he talked bad about me being at the game Friday.:mad: Butkus is a joke ,too bad he calls himself a mustang fan.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Can you explain pure speed?

Someone with pure speed is explosive and is able to run in high gear almost effortless. There are a lot of pure track runners, who have pure speed but are not necessarily quick. Just like thier are those who are quick but don't have a top-end high gear.

shadow13
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Someone with pure speed is explosive and is able to run in high gear almost effortless. There are a lot of pure track runners, who have pure speed but are not necessarily quick. Just like thier are those who are quick but don't have a top-end high gear. I see!

Sweetwater Red
10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
What club would that be shadow? The Snyder haters club, he talked bad about me being at the game Friday.:mad:

You were at our game Friday? :D

Butkus
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Butkus is a joke ,too bad he calls himself a mustang fan. Dang shadow ole Butkus been a Mustang fan lot longer than a lota you other people on here. Im not doggin the Mustangs in anyway. I was justa doggin ole Stang Red a little bout talkin to tha enemy.

I was at tha game the other nite and had that texas guy been there he woulda seen pure speed on Skyes 80 yd run.

Once agin trust me old Butkus been a fan a long time and dont think you can find where ive talked bad about Sweetwater or the Mustangs like suma the other Mustang fans do.

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You were at our game Friday? :D I think you are a turkey, not a Mustang.:D :D :devil: :devil:

shadow13
10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Someone with pure speed is explosive and is able to run in high gear almost effortless. There are a lot of pure track runners, who have pure speed but are not necessarily quick. Just like thier are those who are quick but don't have a top-end high gear. Just curious what pure speed is these days, I played against guys like Van Percy and Keith Brooks -Andrews, Charles Ricks - Odessa, and Scurlock - Monahans ,that was pure speed on any football field. I just don't see that kind of pure speed on the field right now, with the exception of 2 guys, that is in this area.

District Track Meet - 200m

Percy - 21.5
Ricks - 21.7
Green - 21.9
Scurlock - 22.0

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Just curious what pure speed is these days, I played against guys like Van Percy and Keith Brooks -Andrews, Charles Ricks - Odessa, and Scurlock - Monahans ,that was pure speed on any football field. I just don't see that kind of pure speed on the field right now, with the exception of 2 guys, that is in this area.

District Track Meet - 200m

Percy - 21.5
Ricks - 21.7
Green - 21.9
Scurlock - 22.0

I believe that Gary Edwards ran a 21.8 (?). But I've play with an against guys who could run great times on the track, but put them in a uniform and unless they were in the complete open field they were not very fast. Some guys can do it on the track and the football field. Edwards, Green, and Banyard are as fast as any high school football players that have played in this part of the state including those guys you mentioned. I think I should be somewhat qualified since I was a college football coach for 13 years and recruited west Texas and saw the very guys you mentioned. Each fast and/or quick in there own way, but on the football field I would still take Edwards and Green.

mustang68
10-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Green 100 meter is around 10.4
Much more important IMHO than the 200

mustang68
10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Green in 200 now around 21.4

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I believe that Gary Edwards ran a 21.8 (?). But I've play with an against guys who could run great times on the track, but put them in a uniform and unless they were in the complete open field they were not very fast. Some guys can do it on the track and the football field. Edwards, Green, and Banyard are as fast as any high school football players that have played in this part of the state including those guys you mentioned. I think I should be somewhat qualified since I was a college football coach for 13 years and recruited west Texas and saw the very guys you mentioned. Each fast and/or quick in there own way, but on the football field I would still take Edwards and Green.

What about Tory Mitchell???

STANG RED
10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Butkus is a joke ,too bad he calls himself a mustang fan.

Why you doggin ole Butkus shadow? Hes a top notch Mustang fan, that just likes to come on here and have a good time every now and then. Ive never known of him bad mouthing any of the Mustangs. Maybe you just misread something.

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Don't know Edward's 100, he didn't run it last year, ran 200 4x100, and 4x400. Did run the 100 his sophmore year, don't remeber what he ran but he and Green were scheduled to go head to head in the finals at the regional meet, except Edwards jumped in the prelims ( Edwards is about 80 % deaf, so hearing the starter is not easy )

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
What about Tory Mitchell???

If he's the kid from Big Springs he was a great track athlete, but wasn't a great football player. But he was fast, not as quick as the other two but very fast in the open field.

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
If he's the kid from Big Springs he was a great track athlete, but wasn't a great football player. But he was fast, not as quick as the other two but very fast in the open field.

He ran a 10.2 100 and 20.5 200...he could definitely move alright. It did him well enough to get him to Miami for a little while at least...

Butkus
10-24-2006, 03:51 PM
What club would that be shadow? The Snyder haters club, he talked bad about me being at the game Friday.:mad: Dang dahop dont get people hatin on me. I wus justa a funin with ole brother Stang bout talkin to ya at tha game. Dont take it all personal or nuthin.:D Truce.

shadow13
10-24-2006, 03:57 PM
If he's the kid from Big Springs he was a great track athlete, but wasn't a great football player. But he was fast, not as quick as the other two but very fast in the open field. Only difference is these guys we are talking about are very good football players, noted great players play D1 ,good and very good players play elsewhere, not that any of the players we have mentioned are not great players, only time will tell that, now again this is how I see things, it's only my opinion on the subject.

shadow13
10-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Don't know Edward's 100, he didn't run it last year, ran 200 4x100, and 4x400. Did run the 100 his sophmore year, don't remeber what he ran but he and Green were scheduled to go head to head in the finals at the regional meet, except Edwards jumped in the prelims ( Edwards is about 80 % deaf, so hearing the starter is not easy ) so. yr. District Meet Gary is very much respected and admired by not only us, but many people across the Big Country.

DaHop72
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Truce. Truce :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

shadow13
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I believe that Gary Edwards ran a 21.8 (?). But I've play with an against guys who could run great times on the track, but put them in a uniform and unless they were in the complete open field they were not very fast. Some guys can do it on the track and the football field. Edwards, Green, and Banyard are as fast as any high school football players that have played in this part of the state including those guys you mentioned. I think I should be somewhat qualified since I was a college football coach for 13 years and recruited west Texas and saw the very guys you mentioned. Each fast and/or quick in there own way, but on the football field I would still take Edwards and Green. I agree with some of the things you are saying, but Percy did go play for Notre Dame in the early 80's when they were in the hunt for a national title each yr. Brooks -SMU and could have went just about anywhere he wanted to go. Ricks - Texas Tech all of these guys were magical on the football field not just fast. only difference is percy,brooks and ricks were all much bigger then edwards,green and banyard, but you are right talent and speed is very close comparison.

NDFootball
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry but this year the defense is nowhere near as good as what they had in 2000. There is no way they would've allowed 34 points to Wimberley or (IMO even worse) 18 points to an anemic Brownwood offense. This year they have a very good defense...but it wouldn't matchup with the defense from 2000.

We are miles from where we were against Brownwood...

thewyliefan
10-24-2006, 08:00 PM
heyy someone decided to talk about football agin.

and yes miles i would agree with. wimberley had a couple BIG plays. not taking anything away from them cause they are dang good, but you really can't compare a team from the first game of the season that over 3/4 of them have never played a varsity snap to the 2000 state finalist team.

Snydertigersrul
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

The Game of the Week is Snyder at Greenwood. Sweetwater fans just wish their game was, just like all of that "speed." I don't believe that speed helped last year against Tatum.

:)

mustang04
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
The Game of the Week is Snyder at Greenwood. Sweetwater fans just wish their game was, just like all of that "speed." I don't believe that speed helped last year against Tatum.

well...appearantly yall didn't have anything going for ya to be out first round

and the speed helped us ALOT against tatum...we might not of won, but the speed helped none-the-less

Tweeder215
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
well...appearantly yall didn't have anything going for ya to be out first round

and the speed helped us ALOT against tatum...we might not of won, but the speed helped none-the-less

Ignore them, Reggie, because if someone passing by on the street sees someone arguing with an idiot, its hard to tell which one is which.

mustang04
10-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Ignore them, Reggie, because if someone passing by on the street sees someone arguing with an idiot, its hard to tell which one is which.

very true

sweetwater07
10-24-2006, 09:56 PM

:D :D

RMAC
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
We are miles from where we were against Brownwood...

The Wylie defense from '00 was scary good. They didn't give up more than 14 in any game including their last 3 against Aledo, Everman or Gatesville w/ Torean Henderson.

NDFootball
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
The Wylie defense from '00 was scary good. They didn't give up more than 14 in any game including their last 3 against Aledo, Everman or Gatesville w/ Torean Henderson.

That may be true, but it's not very accurate to compare us with how we played against Brownwood. We are alot better than what we were then...and to use that to judge our team now is an error of judgement. We get better every week.

Stownhorse
10-24-2006, 11:42 PM

The only reason its the GOTW is Rangermom...nothin against you mom but i didnt even bother arguing cuz i knew S'water and Wylie was out of the question for GOTW...and what mom says, GOES ;)

DU_stud04
10-24-2006, 11:46 PM

Gary Edwards may be the quickest and fastest combination I've ever on a football field, ( not a track ).

i know a guy that would smoke him on both field and track:D

tigerbyheart
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Ignore them, Reggie, because if someone passing by on the street sees someone arguing with an idiot, its hard to tell which one is which. The idiot would be wearing a mustang shirt!!! j/k.... just had to say it....:D:p

RMAC
10-25-2006, 12:08 AM
That may be true, but it's not very accurate to compare us with how we played against Brownwood. We are alot better than what we were then...and to use that to judge our team now is an error of judgement. We get better every week.

I'm not comparing you guys to anything. Yes, ya'll have gotten a lot better since Brownwood. All I'm trying to say is there is no comparison. The '00 defense was one of, if not the best defenses Wylie has ever had. Ask injured, or adidas, or pero, heck, ask anybody around the area and I'd bet you'll hear the same thing.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Then talk about the game against Wimberley. Even if you want to compare earlier season games, you'll still find that the 00 defense was a lot better across the board. They didn't allow big plays...none. The only "big play" that I can remember was against Snyder, and that was on a kickoff return. Also, you can't use the excuse of "well it's not fair to look at the Brownwood game when a lot of our guys were starting for the first time" because that happens EVERY year (including 00) on a Sandifer team. Nice try though! ;)

mrescape43
10-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by tigerbyheart
The idiot would be wearing a mustang shirt!!! j/k.... just had to say it....:D:p

Touche!:devil: J/K

Ranger Mom
10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
The only reason its the GOTW is Rangermom...nothin against you mom but i didnt even bother arguing cuz i knew S'water and Wylie was out of the question for GOTW...and what mom says, GOES ;)

I don't choose the GOTW games......LHPantherMom does. I just put in my request!!:D

Texasfootball2
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
56 hours and 50 min. till showtime - All the laundry will get aired out come game time and none of this will matter. Some will have bragging rights, and others will eat crow.

HAN SING
10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
56 hours and 50 min. till showtime - All the laundry will get aired out come game time and none of this will matter. Some will have bragging rights, and others will eat crow. Laundry at Ponderosa need much airing out. Hoss leave skid marks all time in underwear.:( On the Game. Han thinks Wylie win this one. Wylie usualy find way to beat sweetwater every year. when last time sweetwater beat wylie?:thinking:

STANG RED
10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by HAN SING
Laundry at Ponderosa need much airing out. Hoss leave skid marks all time in underwear.:( On the Game. Han thinks Wylie win this one. Wylie usualy find way to beat sweetwater every year. when last time sweetwater beat wylie?:thinking:

02 & 03 I think. Dont remember the scores though.

Stownhorse
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't choose the GOTW games......LHPantherMom does. I just put in my request!!:D

Yea I knew she chose them, but I know you and LHPM more than likely had discussed it before and already came to a verdict lol

Texasfootball2
10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
02 & 03 I think. Dont remember the scores though.

In '02 Sweetwater 28 Wylie 10

In '03 Sweetwater 21 Wylie 7

It has not barring, but both were non district games played earlier in the year. I don't think Sweetwater and Wylie were put in the same district until '04/'05.

injuredinmelee
10-25-2006, 11:17 AM
He ran a 10.2 100 and 20.5 200...he could definitely move alright. It did him well enough to get him to Miami for a little while at least...

I think he actually ended his colleeiate career at Tech. I saw Mitchell run down a Wylie kid from across the field with absolutely no angle at all. He was the fastest football palyer i ever saw in person.

No if I can figure out who Texasfootball2 is...

pero chato
10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
In '02 Sweetwater 28 Wylie 10

In '03 Sweetwater 21 Wylie 7

It has not barring, but both were non district games played earlier in the year. I don't think Sweetwater and Wylie were put in the same district until '04/'05.

They were in the same district in '00 and '01 also, with Wylie taking both wins, 31-0, and 21-17 (?)

injuredinmelee
10-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I have to say that this years defense is probably the second best i have seen at Wylie. The 00 team was outstanding defensively. Brent Gailey was the man. easily the best player in 3A that year. I dont care who they finally picked there was no kid that meant more to his team than Gailey. You also had lampert at the other safety spot. You had Hussman at CB who could play. The line haad Dustin Black, Lee Swanson OLB, and Bobby McMillan who was the best 150lb nosegaurd int he history of high school football. Brett unger was at MLB and was great. I can remember against Lakeview where Wylie made an interception and Unger cracked back on a lineman and knocked him out cold. It was funny watching Brett ,who is one of the best kids i have ever been around, leaning over the guy trying to wake him up. Brett was the type of kid that carried his bible in his back pocket. Always set a good example to the other kids around him and wwas a leader in all aspects of life.

this years defense has been a group of guys that just flat out play hard. They fly to the ball and seem to make other teams make mistakes. The big plays given up are the only thing that keeps them from being one of the best Wylie defenses of all time.

mustang68
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
You may very well be right in your estimation of this years Wylie defense; only time will tell.
Your logic, or how you arrived at this point, however is not evident.
"big plays" are part of defense. All plays are part of the defense.:thinking:

Texasfootball2
10-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Comparing the two is like comparing red apples to green apples. The '00 defense played a much weaker schedule than this years defense has had to play.

'00 defense play six teams in the regular season that totaled 14 wins combined.

SA Lakeview 2-8
Breckenrigde 3-7
Llano 2-8
Early 4-6
Merkel 3-7
Clyde 0-10

This years defense has had to play a much better schedule.

The teams with winning records in '00 were Snyder 6-4, Big Springs 8-5, Sweetwater 8-4, Ballinger 8-4. All of which were playoff teams.

If your going to use the 34 points (one was a kickoff return ) that Wimberely scored as an agruement, then you also have to remember that the week before Wylie went on the road and totally shut down 4A ranked Frenship with there 200+ yards per game RB. The '00 defense did not face anything like either one of these teams the whole year.

RMAC
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Comparing the two is like comparing red apples to green apples. The '00 defense played a much weaker schedule than this years defense has had to play.

'00 defense play six teams in the regular season that totaled 14 wins combined.

SA Lakeview 2-8
Breckenrigde 3-7
Llano 2-8
Early 4-6
Merkel 3-7
Clyde 0-10

This years defense has had to play a much better schedule.

The teams with winning records in '00 were Snyder 6-4, Big Springs 8-5, Sweetwater 8-4, Ballinger 8-4. All of which were playoff teams.

If your going to use the 34 points (one was a kickoff return ) that Wimberely scored as an agruement, then you also have to remember that the week before Wylie went on the road and totally shut down 4A ranked Frenship with there 200+ yards per game RB. The '00 defense did not face anything like either one of these teams the whole year.

Did you miss where I put that Torean Henderson played for Gatesville in '00? That was the only game the whole season where he was held to less than 100 yards.

Ranger Mom
10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry...I just couldn't help myself!!:p

Texasfootball2
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Did you miss where I put that Torean Henderson played for Gatesville in '00? That was the only game the whole season where he was held to less than 100 yards.

No I saw it, may I should have put that the RB from Frenship had average over 200+ yards per game for a period of 18 games and he had a total of 39 yards, 21 of which came on one carry. I was at ever game that the '00 team played and have been at every game this year, In fact I don't know if I've missed a game in 15 years. I have no reason to be bias either. Don't even know why were argueing about it. Both defense were/are excellant defenses.

EricDraven
10-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Great stuff. Nice job inserting the "wannabe" part, whoever. Like your team is a "wannabe" come quarter and semi-finals.
(Okay, that was just a joke. Good luck to everyone this weekend....but not as much too Sweetwater)