PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best players you have played with/Against?

Old Tiger
10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
My list;
McKay Jacobson - Southlake Carroll
Red Richardson - Marlin
Stryker Sulak - Team mate
Jamal Williams - Team mate
Jeremy Sanders - Marlin
Emanual Sanders - Bellville
Greg McElroy - Southlake Carroll

*These are off the top of my head.

AggieJohn
10-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Crickets Crickets Crickets.......

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
So you're counting flag, Tiger? ;)

LH Panther Mom
10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
My oldest son played with Chase Wasson (SLC - TSU).

He played against:
Paul Moseley (Austin Anderson - Baylor)
Jordan Shipley (Burnet - UT)
Stephen McGee (Burnet - A&M)
Ty Kuhn (Burnet - Arizona State, I think)

I'm sure there are others that I can't remember at the moment.

IHStangFan
10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I used to have to long jump against Toya Jones from Refugio. :eek:

IHS Fan
10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
i never got to see jeremy sanders play in h.s. but i've seen him play at navarro. he's on the same team as my son.

shankbear
10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Bronko Nagurski.

Funk-d-fied
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Played against Andrews' Shaud Williams, the one time I played against sweetwater's moses brown I was very impressed. San Angelo's Sterling Gilbert was good too.

handNthedirt
10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I played against Wayne McGarity from SA Clark his Jr. and Sr. seasons. My thinking at the time was if that kid don't go pro, I don't know what the hell you gotta do. In college, two of my teammates were Brian Gilmore (WR- Miami Dolphins) and Dominic Rhodes (1st free agent rookie to rush for over 1,000 yards in the NFL, for the Indianapolis Colts)....I had the same thoughts for D.Rhodes that I had for McGarity....they would both make anybody trying to tackle them in the open field look like complete idiots.

Butkus
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Bronko Nagurski. :evillol: Me two old son.

g$$
10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Football:
Wayne Williams, RB/CB (West Columbia/LSU/Jets)
Robert Strait, RB (Cuero/Baylor/injury ended career)

Basketball:
Shaquille O'Neal, C (SA Cole/LSU/NBA)
Benford Williams, SF (Sweeny teammate/Texas/pro ball overseas)

Baseball:
Melvin Roman, Inf (Hill JC teammate/pro ball)
Mike McGuire, RHP/OF (Sweeny teammate/signed w/ Texas, pro ball Seattle & elbow injury ended career)

**Had a chance to watch Kyle Drabek (The Woodlands/Phillies) & Aaron Miller (Channelview/Baylor) play baseball on my nephew's select team the past couple of years. Barring injury, these 2 have shot to make it big. Drabek was a fine football player too. Drabek was a 1st round pick this year by Philly & Miller is a freshman at Baylor (turned down pro ball). Check them out if you get a chance.

pirate4state
10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

He played against:
Ty Kuhn (Burnet - Arizona State, I think)

Where is Ty Kuhn?? I'd like to know how he is doing. Very good football player.

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I played against Wayne McGarity from SA Clark his Jr. and Sr. seasons. My thinking at the time was if that kid don't go pro, I don't know what the hell you gotta do. In college, two of my teammates were Brian Gilmore (WR- Miami Dolphins) and Dominic Rhodes (1st free agent rookie to rush for over 1,000 yards in the NFL, for the Indianapolis Colts)....I had the same thoughts for D.Rhodes that I had for McGarity....they would both make anybody trying to tackle them in the open field look like complete idiots.

Rhodes was an absolute BA. Not the smartest guy in the world...but still a good guy and a hell of a football player. Also, I've never seen anybody in person with a harder work ethic in the gym.

big daddy russ
10-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I wasn't able to play all the way through HS, but I played enough (and watched from the sidelines) to see a couple of great players in their prime.

Best:
Clint Finley- QB/DB Cuero

Second-best:
David Lyons- RB/LB/P/K/PR/KR Ingleside

That guy was a hoss playing on a subpar team. Really was a standout player at RB, but would've started at every other position he played (except maybe K) on just about any 5A team. Hell, he would've been a great DB had he played there.

Never got recruited by many college teams due to the team he played for, so his dad got the word out for him and got him on at Texas Lutheran. Davy started his first year, gaining all-conference honors.

A few years later (from what I've heard), he was injured and had to sit out. Couldn't play RB anymore, so he moved to punter and received all-conference honors there. Just a phenomenal all-around athlete.

Back to HS, he could do things while carrying a football that I've never seen done before. He'd go right into a swarm of defenders, wiggle around a little, then you'd see him disappear under the dogpile. The refs would whistle the play dead, then he'd shoot out one end of the dogpile, having never been touched, and be in the endzone.

Strong as an ox, too. He was about 5'7," 180 lbs. in HS and benched (if I remember correctly) 340 lbs... squatted somewhere in the 500-600 lb-range. Is easily the quickest player I've ever seen at the HS level, along with Quentin Griffin of Aldine Nimitz. That's a list that includes Michael Benton and all the RBs of Everman's little run, Marcus Charles of Sinton, Terrius Purvey of Gainesville, DaBryan Blanton of Forney (more speed than shiftiness), Taurean Henderson of Gatesville, Quan and Quincy Cosby of Mart, Alex Boyd of Refugio, Fabian Olgiun of Cuero, and a host of others.

Also, there were a couple of players for Cuero back in '95 who were awesome. That RB you had was a hoss, as was (I think his number was 77) that big OT that played for you.

handNthedirt
10-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Rhodes was an absolute BA. Not the smartest guy in the world...but still a good guy and a hell of a football player. Also, I've never seen anybody in person with a harder work ethic in the gym.

D is a great football player, and a better person...good friend of mine.

3afan
10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Johnny "Lam" Jones, Lampasas-U. of Texas-NY Jets

g$$
10-23-2006, 02:22 PM
"Lam" Jones could fly, very fast.

Texas had a Lam, Jam, Ham, & Bam that I remember. Funny stuff!

Most I believe were hometown monikers too (Lampasas, Hamlin).

GreenMachine
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I caught a few passes from Brad Goebel (Cuero, Baylor, Browns and Eagles). He had one hell of an arm!

coach
10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
i never got to see jeremy sanders play in h.s. but i've seen him play at navarro. he's on the same team as my son.

i played against him and watched him play all four years of high school if he wasnt such and idiot he would be playing for baylor right now

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
First round of the playoffs my senior year - Sinton's Adrian Alaniz (badass UT pitcher)... also other bad ass UT pitcher Yoakum's Randy Boone (these were in football though)...

Sinton beat us 14-7, but it didn't come without a price, we injured Alaniz for the season, they may have been able to get past Bandera with him, he was a great QB...

Played with? Andrew Heard (is he at Baylor still) and Cody Wallace (Starting center for A&M), Garrett Pennington (pitches at Rice, may pitch this season, been out with injuries a couple of years)...

halfnhalf
10-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Matterral Richardson - DB - Marlin/Arkansas
D'Nerian Wrighter - DB - Marlin/Arkansas
Justin Brantly - P - Sealy/A&M
Jeremy Kerley - Everything - Hutto/going to TCU

those two guys from Marlin when we played them in the third round in the '03 playoffs were amazing. That same year in the first round we played Sealy and Justin Brantly in the first round, and he pinned us inside the 10 like three or four times. And Kerley is good, enough said.

halfnhalf
10-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I forgot Jeremy Sanders from Marlin, only a freshman when we played him, but he was still a stud then.

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by coach
i played against him and watched him play all four years of high school if he wasnt such and idiot he would be playing for baylor right now

I thought he had committed to Houston....

coach
10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I thought he had committed to Houston....

nope he went to baylor ant then stole 20,000 dollars and turned himself in so he then went to navarro

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by coach
nope he went to baylor ant then stole 20,000 dollars and turned himself in so he then went to navarro

hmm...I guess I missed that story. Why isn't he in jail? Turn yourself in or not...you would think that would carry SOME jail time.

coach
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM
hmm...I guess I missed that story. Why isn't he in jail? Turn yourself in or not...you would think that would carry SOME jail time.

i think he did this during in the summer and im pretty sure he did do some jail time...it was all over waco tribune

halfnhalf
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Thats sad to hear, he had some natural ability.

exbulldog06
10-23-2006, 05:03 PM
one of the best players i played with was case keenum he was really good.

Bull19
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
First round of the playoffs my senior year - Sinton's Adrian Alaniz (badass UT pitcher)... also other bad ass UT pitcher Yoakum's Randy Boone (these were in football though)...

I PLAYED BBALL AGAINST HIM,, NOT THAT HARD OF A THROWER BUT MAN CAN HE HIT HIS SPOTS WITH HIS FASTBALL. HE LOVES GOING LOW AND AWAY

big daddy russ
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
I PLAYED BBALL AGAINST HIM,, NOT THAT HARD OF A THROWER BUT MAN CAN HE HIT HIS SPOTS WITH HIS FASTBALL. HE LOVES GOING LOW AND AWAY
He had a 94-MPH fastball. How do you define a "hard thrower?"

Paratrooper
10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Their are two players that I thought were the best I had ever gone against in highschool football and they both were on the same team.

Reggie Davis and Tony Allen of Jasper. Tony Allen was the fastest player I have ever seen to date on the football field.

handNthedirt
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Russ brings up a legitimate point?

RMAC
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I played w/ Case Keenum in jr. high. There's my claim to fame.

Bull19
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He had a 94-MPH fastball. How do you define a "hard thrower?"

HE WASNT THROWING THAT HARD IN HIGH SCHOOL, HE WAS IN THE UPPERS 80'S

big daddy russ
10-23-2006, 08:41 PM
HE WASNT THROWING THAT HARD IN HIGH SCHOOL, HE WAS IN THE UPPERS 80'S
I was the sports writer for the AP and Ingleside newspapers his junior and senior year. The way I came across that information was by looking at a scout's radar gun (the guy that was my 'scoop' on all local recruiting) during an Ingleside/Sinton game his senior year ('03).

BTW, he hit 94 in the sixth inning of the game. Was consistently hitting the 90's throughout the game.

If you played for Fal, I'm guessing you met up in the playoffs. I don't know if his arm was tired because it was late in the year or he was injured, but he threw in the low-90's from his junior year on.

Comeaux
10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
I played against Mike Barber and Sam Hunt.

Thats old!

Bull19
10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I was the sports writer for the AP and Ingleside newspapers his junior and senior year. The way I came across that information was by looking at a scout's radar gun (the guy that was my 'scoop' on all local recruiting) during an Ingleside/Sinton game his senior year ('03).

BTW, he hit 94 in the sixth inning of the game. Was consistently hitting the 90's throughout the game.

If you played for Fal, I'm guessing you met up in the playoffs. I don't know if his arm was tired because it was late in the year or he was injured, but he threw in the low-90's from his junior year on.

ACTAULLY I DID MEET UP WITH HIM IN THE PLAYOFFS BUT NOT INGLESIDE, IT WAS WITH BELLVILLE, I WAS TOLD HE WAS IN THE UPPER 80'S FROM A COACH, IT SEEMED THAT WAS BOUT RIGHT WHEN I BATTED OF HIM, BUT U KNOW HOW COACHES ARE, THEY WILL LIE TO YOU, SO IT IS VERY POSSIBLE THEN HE WAS THROWING IN LOWER 90'S

Tweeder215
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I outran Jordan Shipley in San Angelo our Senior year.......(and I played Center on the football team, made all state OL that year)

The only reason I mention that is because before the race he was a complete A-hole, so I don't like him very much. That plus the fact that I won the race makes me mention it everytime I hear his name....I really don't like the attitude I saw in him that day.

hawkfan
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt

Fellow MSUIndian I see. Class of 2003 here.

GS#17
10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Probably the best known teammate of mine was Kevin Smith. At West Orange-Stark, he was a WR, DB, kick returner, punt returner, on the kickoff and punt teams, and he was my holder on FGs and PATs. He went on to TAMU, where he set a SWC interception record (if memory serves me right), and he was a first round pick by the Cowboys, where he played until his retirement from the NFL just a few years ago.

exbulldog06
10-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I played w/ Case Keenum in jr. high. There's my claim to fame.

haha i played with case all through jr high and through highschool haha

Tx Challenge
10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
I outran Jordan Shipley in San Angelo our Senior year.......(and I played Center on the football team, made all state OL that year)

The only reason I mention that is because before the race he was a complete A-hole, so I don't like him very much. That plus the fact that I won the race makes me mention it everytime I hear his name....I really don't like the attitude I saw in him that day.

I have heard that also from my own son

Tx Challenge
10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I hate to say this because I will tell my age. The toughest person I ever faced in HS was named Hershel. I heard he went on and won a few awards in college and then became a star in the NFL

After he laid me out a few times in that game, life has never been the same.

Actually, I made the scout team in college. It was at a school in Southern Alabama that Big Daddy Russ likes to talk about. In my first practice, I got introduced to a guy named Bo. I didnt play too long after that.

Old Tiger
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I hate to say this because I will tell my age. The toughest person I ever faced in HS was named Hershel. I heard he went on and won a few awards in college and then became a star in the NFL

Actually, I made the scout team in college. It was at a school in Southern Alabama that Big Daddy Russ likes to talk about. In my first practice, I got introduced to a guy named Bo. I didnt play too long after that. WOW YOU PLAYED AGAINST HERSHEL? WOW!

Tx Challenge
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
WOW YOU PLAYED AGAINST HERSHEL? WOW!

Well I was on the field with him. Small Georgia school. He was a man among boys. He was a good guy though. He did lay me on my back a few times. He played both sides of the ball, RB and LB. I was a FB. He nailed me and decleated me every time I got the ball. NOT a fond memory!

kaorder1999
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
keith davis...italy..

stxfootballfan
10-23-2006, 11:18 PM
In football I played against Dat Nguyen(Rockport,TX) and Jeremy Burnell(Sinton,TX).

LH Panther Mom
10-24-2006, 04:54 AM

Actually, I made the scout team in college. It was at a school in Southern Alabama that Big Daddy Russ likes to talk about. In my first practice, I got introduced to a guy named Bo. I didnt play too long after that.
I kind of knew your age, but didn't know this. Very impressive! :clap:

BullFrog Dad
10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by g$$
This guy wins!

big daddy russ
10-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Holy crap, you played against both Bo and Herschel? Did you ever get to play against Lionel James? I always heard that if he was three inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he would've been in the HOF.

LEROY
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Eric Dickerson----gave us a good ole a##whoopin!!!!

Dogman_1969
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
1. John Randle DT Hearne-Texas A&I-Vikings-Seahawks
2. Greg Brinkley DL\OL Proud to say I played beside him. A great high school player, an even better friend and father to his 3 kids. Rockdale-U of Houston
3. Brent Miller RB Cameron Yoe-I don't know what happened to Brent but he was the best running back I ever played against (including my #4 player). He would always get 3-4 yds and always got stronger as the game went on. A true great high school RB for Toby York back in "The Day".
4. Robert Strait RB Cuero-Baylor-Pro's
5. Virgil Clark RB Teammate Rockdale-U of NMState
6. Dexter Wesley OL Teammate Rockdale-Texas A&M-Houston Oilers

Of course I'm biased now, I have a new top player on my list. It is my 14 yr old son who is a freshman and member of the undefeated Rockdale Tiger freshman. Sorry to brag but I'm proud of what these kids are doing.

The Streak Continues..................

g$$
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Football:
Robert Strait, RB (Cuero/Baylor/injury ended career)

Basketball:
Benford Williams, SF (Sweeny teammate/Texas/pro ball overseas)

Baseball:
Melvin Roman, Inf (Hill JC teammate/pro ball)
Mike McGuire, RHP/OF (Sweeny teammate/signed w/ Texas, pro ball Seattle & elbow injury ended career)

**Had a chance to watch Kyle Drabek (The Woodlands/Phillies) & Aaron Miller (Channelview/Baylor) play baseball on my nephew's select team the past couple of years. Barring injury, these 2 have shot to make it big. Drabek was a fine football player too. Drabek was a 1st round pick this year by Philly & Miller is a freshman at Baylor (turned down pro ball). Check them out if you get a chance.

Yes, I played against Shaq at a tourney in Kerrville my senior year. We were defending state 3A champs (Sweeny won '54, '85, '87, '88) but lost almost the whole team to graduation (me & 2 others remained). Shaq was a man among boys - but did not dunk in the game! We got smoked. He CAUGHT a few shots instead of blocking them into the stands! Nice guy too, & absolutely huge & only 17 then. He was young for his grade, about 6'10" & 270 lbs. then. Now about 7'1" & 350 lbs. SA Cole won 3A that year (now 2A program I believe) & had some good shooters around him.

On Adrian Alaniz, he threw harder in hs than he does now. My freshman nephew plays with him at Texas currently. Still a good pitcher but way overused in hs at Sinton. He sits in the mid to high 80s now & has battled arm problems. Hits spots & uses breaking ball. Texas redshirted him his 1st year trying to let his arm recover. Fine athlete at Sinton.

RuffneckGobbler
10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Played right beside Cody Wallace (Center- Texas A&M) on the Cuero Line.

nexfan
10-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Baseball: Josh Becket - Spring/Florida Marlins...Struck me out on 3 pitches in summer league in H-Town!!

Basketball: Rashard Lewis - Elsik/Seattle Supersonics...Didnt get off the bench that game (thank God) Outback Tournament in H-town

Football: Derrick Cash - El Campo/Baylor....He pretty much seperated my shoulder on the opening kickoff when I was a junior so he gets my vote!!

Track: Kevin Garrett - Sweeny/SMU/Rams, Texans....I high jumped and he ran and good god was he fast!!!

injuredinmelee
10-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by nexfan
Baseball: Josh Becket - Spring/Florida Marlins...Struck me out on 3 pitches in summer league in H-Town!!

Basketball: Rashard Lewis - Elsik/Seattle Supersonics...Didnt get off the bench that game (thank God) Outback Tournament in H-town

Football: Derrick Cash - El Campo/Baylor....He pretty much seperated my shoulder on the opening kickoff when I was a junior so he gets my vote!!

Track: Kevin Garrett - Sweeny/SMU/Rams, Texans....I high jumped and he ran and good god was he fast!!!

Nex you know another basketball player from an Aleif school by the name Doug Gibson? He was the same age as Lewis. When they would show clips of Lewis on sportscenter and the pre draft shows they would show him picking an inbounds pass from my good friend Doug.

pancho villa
10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Mark Gastaneau NY Jets
Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson Dallas Cowboys

Bearkat
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I played against these two:

Bennie Wylie RB/LB (Mexia Blackcats, SHSU, Dallas Cowboys Assistant Strength Coach, Texas Tech Strengh Coach)

Jason Tucker WR (Waco Robinson Rockets, TCU, Rhein Fire, Dallas Cowboys, Edmonton Eskimos)

nexfan
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Nex you know another basketball player from an Aleif school by the name Doug Gibson? He was the same age as Lewis. When they would show clips of Lewis on sportscenter and the pre draft shows they would show him picking an inbounds pass from my good friend Doug.

Not really!! There are alot of Aleif schools and we only played a few of them. The only other Gibson I know about is Daniel and he went to Jones!!

nexfan
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Mark Gastaneau NY Jets
Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson Dallas Cowboys

Does that make you a "Gastaneau Girls" fan Panch? The were pretty bitchy and ole' mom was rather plastic but they were hotter than an MC Hammer check!!

District303aPastPlayer
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Adrian Alaniz was my QB.
Craig Jones = UNT = Tampa Bay Bucs Practice Squad

pirate4state
10-25-2006, 11:54 AM
ACTAULLY I DID MEET UP WITH HIM IN THE PLAYOFFS BUT NOT INGLESIDE, IT WAS WITH BELLVILLE, I WAS TOLD HE WAS IN THE UPPER 80'S FROM A COACH, IT SEEMED THAT WAS BOUT RIGHT WHEN I BATTED OF HIM, BUT U KNOW HOW COACHES ARE, THEY WILL LIE TO YOU, SO IT IS VERY POSSIBLE THEN HE WAS THROWING IN LOWER 90'S I watched you play then. What position did you play? That was a great series!! :clap:

piratebg
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Adrian Alaniz was my QB.
Craig Jones = UNT = Tampa Bay Bucs Practice Squad

Really. I was wondering what happened to Craig after he graduated from UNT. What happened to his younger brother, Curt?

District303aPastPlayer
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Really. I was wondering what happened to Craig after he graduated from UNT. What happened to his younger brother, Curt?

A&M-K

awizzy
10-25-2006, 12:18 PM

yea he was good player i went to watch them play westlake that year any1 know who the QB was for them???...i do

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
yea he was good player i went to watch them play westlake that year any1 know who the QB was for them???...i do

Drew Brees...I was there for that one too! That was still in my "pre Abilene Wylie" days when my older brother was at Cooper...well that was the season after he graduated. He was on the 93/94 teams with Zac Allen (Carson-Newman), Mike Rose (Oklahoma...graduated 93), and the 5 linemen that all went on to play D1 ball at Baylor, Tech, BlowU, and OK State. That group included Justin Snow, now the long snapper for the Indianapolis Colts! ;)

awizzy
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Drew Brees...I was there for that one too! That was still in my "pre Abilene Wylie" days when my older brother was at Cooper...well that was the season after he graduated. He was on the 93/94 teams with Zac Allen (Carson-Newman), Mike Rose (Oklahoma...graduated 93), and the 5 linemen that all went on to play D1 ball at Baylor, Tech, BlowU, and OK State. That group included Justin Snow, now the long snapper for the Indianapolis Colts! ;)
bingo...that team was good...just as good as any of these SLC teams

pirate4state
10-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
On Adrian Alaniz, he threw harder in hs than he does now. My freshman nephew plays with him at Texas currently. Still a good pitcher but way overused in hs at Sinton. He sits in the mid to high 80s now & has battled arm problems. Hits spots & uses breaking ball. Texas redshirted him his 1st year trying to let his arm recover. Fine athlete at Sinton. That state semi-final game against Canyon was INSANE!! If you know Adrian you know that he did NOT want out of that game. The umps were horrible that game and Canyon did a good job of making him throw tons of pitches. I enjoyed watching him play in HS and now with UT and I hope that he can realize his dream of going pro. :clap:

g$$
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Who was Drew Brees' stud offensive lineman (all state) on that 15-0 state championship 5A squad? Actually they had a few D1 kids on that Westlake team (Brett Robin, etc.). And neither A&M nor Texas recruited Brees because of his 6'0" stature & a previous knee injury. Both missed out on a good one.

Brees comes from a family of Aggies & his uncle Marty Akins was an All-American QB at Texas in the mid '70s (father Ray Akins of Gregory-Portland fame).

Answer: Seth McKinney (brother of Steve). Both played at Texas A&M & both are in the pros. Seth (injured neck) is with Miami, & Steve is with the Texans (previously with Colts). Steve attended Clear Lake in the Houston Area, & Seth attended Austin Westlake when father took a job under former governor / now President George Bush. Both are good guys I knew at A&M who graduated & love to hunt/fish. Heck Seth graduated in 3.5 years & then got a master's degree.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That state semi-final game against Canyon was INSANE!! If you know Adrian you know that he did NOT want out of that game. The umps were horrible that game and Canyon did a good job of making him throw tons of pitches. I enjoyed watching him play in HS and now with UT and I hope that he can realize his dream of going pro. :clap:

HOMER!!!:mad: ;)

Old Tiger
10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I marched against Marlin Fan he was a stud on the saxophone. :D j/k

marlin fan
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I marched against Marlin Fan he was a stud on the saxophone. :D j/k LOL TENOR SAXOPHONE TO BE EXACT ALL REGION AND STATE!!!

Old Tiger
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
LOL TENOR SAXOPHONE TO BE EXACT ALL REGION AND STATE!!! WOW WAY TO BRAG

you
you
you
you

band nerd!

bobcat1
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Johnny "Lam" Jones, Lampasas-U. of Texas-NY Jets

Yes Johnny could fly. I worked with him at James Wood Motors for a while. Last I heard he moved back to Austin and was very sick. I think he had cancer and was close to dying. He was a great guy. I loved to hear about the "race". He was truly remarkably gifted.

olddawggreen
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM

He played against:
Luke Pell (Burnet - Army)
Ty Kuhn (Burnet - Abiline Christian)
Mason Templeton (Burnet - Arkansas)
Eddie Parker (Burnet - Georgia Tech)
Eddie Rowland (Burnet - Arizona State)
Cody Warner (Burnet - Abiline Christian)
Clayton Trahan (Burnet - Abiline Christian)
Joe Saldavor (Burnet - Abiline Christian)
and .........

;) ;)

LHMom
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
That would pretty much be the list for my oldest, also, LHPM. (Imagine that. :) )

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
;) ;)
Thanks for the "adds". I knew there had to be other Burnet guys. I should've added Patrick Miller as well, but didn't know where he went to school. I guess it's just hard to forget "TYCOON FOR THE TACKLE". :D

He also played with:
Tony Haberer - Naval Academy (was team captain his freshman year, I believe)
Tyler Kociuba - earned a walk-on spot at A&M and received "scout team player of the week" earlier this season
Ryan Lawhorn - USAF Academy

Tx Challenge
10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Future star my son hopes to play with. A kid out of LH named Terry. Maybe in a couple of years:D

SWMustang
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't want to say anything that's not true, but did Mike Rose die in a motorcycle accident?

gobblerfan02
10-25-2006, 11:04 PM
That state semi-final game against Canyon was INSANE!! If you know Adrian you know that he did NOT want out of that game. The umps were horrible that game and Canyon did a good job of making him throw tons of pitches. I enjoyed watching him play in HS and now with UT and I hope that he can realize his dream of going pro. :clap:

Ya, back in that day and time, the Cuero baseball team's only obstacle in Region 4 was Sinton and Adrian...my twin played center field, and we graduated back in 02! Adrian was just too good back then, and everyone in Cuero was glad that Sinton won that season....cuz we lost to them!

olddog73
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the "adds". I knew there had to be other Burnet guys. I should've added Patrick Miller as well, but didn't know where he went to school. I guess it's just hard to forget "TYCOON FOR THE TACKLE". :D

He also played with:
Tony Haberer - Naval Academy (was team captain his freshman year, I believe)
Tyler Kociuba - earned a walk-on spot at A&M and received "scout team player of the week" earlier this season
Ryan Lawhorn - USAF Academy

Patrick Miller and Tom Field both play for Tarlton.

olddog73
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Where is Ty Kuhn?? I'd like to know how he is doing. Very good football player.

I think Ty Kuhn suffered a knee injury last year at Abiline Christian, not sure if he has fully recovered or not. His little brother plays for Burnet now.

LHPfactory
10-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Football:

I also played against Wayne Williams of wc back in the 80's.

A few other great athletes I played against were:

Anthony Ray RB-Wharton/Baylor (aka: Pappa...."pappa wears a doo rag")big, fast, and strong!

Thomas Woodard ("Binky")- QB Angleton/Baylor, (He played like Vince Young, or should I say Vince has the same style Thomas did). He was in trouble alot and was shot in Waco (lived).... Could have been great.

The toughest player I ever collided with was Arthur/Anthony Miller of Crosby. was a friday night hero(Line Backer) in Texas football back in the 80s. He "ear holed" me so hard on one play my helmut spun on my head and my nose was sticking out the ear hole when the play ended.

I played with Tony Darthard-RB Brazosport/TCU (diabetic and knee injury kept him out of pros) Great player and hard worker.

good ole days..........

;) ;)

pirate4state
10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by olddog73
I think Ty Kuhn suffered a knee injury last year at Abiline Christian, not sure if he has fully recovered or not. His little brother plays for Burnet now. Oh, I'm sorry to hear this!! :( Hope he can recover and play again!!

pirate4state
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Ya, back in that day and time, the Cuero baseball team's only obstacle in Region 4 was Sinton and Adrian...my twin played center field, and we graduated back in 02! Adrian was just too good back then, and everyone in Cuero was glad that Sinton won that season....cuz we lost to them! That was crazy. You guys had just played that marathon series with Port Isabel. We were suppose to play Friday night, but it rained or something so we were stuck at high NOON in the heat in Sinton playing you guys. I think Adrian & Chance hit back-to-back homeruns that game. :p

coiled2strike
10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
keith davis...italy..

when was he there...i think that is the rb/lb i played...92-93 we beat them in the 2nd round...he broke 3 of my ribs, but i broke for the final 1st down that allowed us to run out the clock...still hurts a bit today, but not so bad when i remeber the win

gibby
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Joe Wylie from Henderson in '68. Blue chip back that went to OU.

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry below...

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by LHPfactory
I also played against Wayne Williams of wc back in the 80's.

A few other great athletes I played against were:

Anthony Ray RB-Wharton/Baylor (aka: Pappa...."pappa wears a doo rag")big, fast, and strong!

Thomas Woodard ("Binky")- QB Angleton/Baylor, (He played like Vince Young, or should I say Vince has the same style Thomas did). He was in trouble alot and was shot in Waco (lived).... Could have been great.

The toughest player I ever collided with was Arthur/Anthony Miller of Crosby. was a friday night hero(Line Backer) in Texas football back in the 80s. He "ear holed" me so hard on one play my helmut spun on my head and my nose was sticking out the ear hole when the play ended.

I played with Tony Darthard-RB Brazosport/TCU (diabetic and knee injury kept him out of pros) Great player and hard worker.

good ole days..........

;) ;)

Good call buddy. We have some things in common...Brazoria County boys! Agreed on Angleton's Thomas Woodard. I believe he's related to Cedric Woodard (Sweeny/Texas/few NFL teams) & Quentin Jammer (Angleton/Texas/Chargers). Good bloodlines right there. Angleton has 4 in the NFL right now, yet their program has really been mediocre for years. Darthard was a good one too under Wacker at TCU. Played with Tracy Simien there. LB/DE Simien was from Sweeny/TCU/Chiefs & Chargers/now Asst. D-Line Coach for Houston Texans. Simien was a beast & the hardest worker I have ever seen.

Sweeny has had either 9 or 10 NFL guys over the years (Elmo Wright & others). I would need to check on one guy. Johnnie Lee Higgins (WR/KR) will be drafted this year too out of UTEP.

GreenGobbla
10-26-2006, 03:52 PM
i played golf with jordan shipley.

thats all i can think of right now.

westtxfballfan
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I played against Mike Welch of Sweetwater in '85, and with Charles Thompson of Monahans in '85 and '86. Welch went on to Baylor, of course, after winning state with the Mustangs and being named 4A player of the year. Thompson was team MVP for Navarro JC and won a Juco NC with them before finishing up at (then) Texas A & I. I believe he was a Lone Star Conf MVP but may be wrong on that one.

Pudlugger
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
As I noted in a previous thread, I played against Bobby Bonds. Bonds played for the Oakland A's and was Barry's father. He was one fast and big dude. He died last year at 59 from lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker. We were on opposing high school football teams in the early 60's.

g$$
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Good stuff.

What high school was that? I know Barry played at Arizona State, but grew up in California right?

Bobby played for a bunch of teams.

Adidas410s
10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I don't want to say anything that's not true, but did Mike Rose die in a motorcycle accident?

Sad to say but yes you are right. Here is that article:

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/sp_fb_hs_cooper/article/0,1874,ABIL_18397_4251016,00.html

Pudlugger
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good stuff.

What high school was that? I know Barry played at Arizona State, but grew up in California right?

Bobby played for a bunch of teams.

Bobby Bonds played for Riverside Polytechnic High School in Riverside, Ca from 1960-63. The Riverside Tigers ran the single wing which is somewhat like the veer with a shotgun qb and 2 setbacks and a wr and 2 TEs. Their offense was based entirely around his athleticism. He ran, passed, punted, kicked PATs played safety on D. He was about 6'4" 220 which was very big in 1963. He was all conference and all state. He got drafted out of high school into the A's program. He was some baseball player.

GreenMonster
10-26-2006, 04:45 PM
As a sophmore I played against Skip Hicks of Burkburnett. He went on to star at UCLA at RB and then on to the NFL's Redskins and Panthers.

maroogreen
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
In football I played against Dat Nguyen(Rockport,TX) and Jeremy Burnell(Sinton,TX).

I remember Jeremy Burnell. I think they moved in from Minnesota or something like that and his older brother was a huge hockey and football star up there. His grandma, God rest her soul, was one of my favorite teachers. What ever happened to Jeremy?

maroogreen
10-26-2006, 05:14 PM

I know I'm a little late in saying this, but I agree WOW!!:eek:

I am so unbelievably impressed.

pasty weakling
10-26-2006, 11:08 PM
i forgot what i said

WTF-82
10-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Played against David Terrell (Sweetwater/Whashington Redskins)

Bubba Daniel Franks ( Big Spring / Green Bay packers)

BigTex
10-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I got to see the back-end of Duriel Harris (SFA high school, Miami Dolphins) a couple times one game as I followed him into the end-zone........:doh:

LHPfactory
10-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Good call buddy. We have some things in common...Brazoria County boys! Agreed on Angleton's Thomas Woodard. I believe he's related to Cedric Woodard (Sweeny/Texas/few NFL teams) & Quentin Jammer (Angleton/Texas/Chargers). Good bloodlines right there. Angleton has 4 in the NFL right now, yet their program has really been mediocre for years. Darthard was a good one too under Wacker at TCU. Played with Tracy Simien there. LB/DE Simien was from Sweeny/TCU/Chiefs & Chargers/now Asst. D-Line Coach for Houston Texans. Simien was a beast & the hardest worker I have ever seen.

Sweeny has had either 9 or 10 NFL guys over the years (Elmo Wright & others). I would need to check on one guy. Johnnie Lee Higgins (WR/KR) will be drafted this year too out of UTEP.

I forgot about Simien. I believe I watched him throw the shot put at the Gulf Coast Relays ...... He was a bull

You remember Heath Sherman of El Campo, I wasnt on varsity yet but I was at the game when we played them. He ran over Tim Williams (could bench press 420lbs in HS) (Brazosport/Texas Tech) at the line, broke about 9 tackles, and hurdled Raymond Greer for a touchdown against Bport in the mid 80's. He went on to play for the Eagles (amazing athlete). I just realized that both, Raymond and Tim both died a few years back in unrelated incidents...... life is short.

Old Tiger
10-31-2006, 02:20 AM
I played against Jordan Peterson. IMO he wasn't that good at coverage in 7on7.

g$$
10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by LHPfactory
I forgot about Simien. I believe I watched him throw the shot put at the Gulf Coast Relays ...... He was a bull

You remember Heath Sherman of El Campo, I wasnt on varsity yet but I was at the game when we played them. He ran over Tim Williams (could bench press 420lbs in HS) (Brazosport/Texas Tech) at the line, broke about 9 tackles, and hurdled Raymond Greer for a touchdown against Bport in the mid 80's. He went on to play for the Eagles (amazing athlete). I just realized that both, Raymond and Tim both died a few years back in unrelated incidents...... life is short.

Oh yeah, remember all those guys. Heath Sherman was a few years older than me but he was known as the "Sherman Tank". Played at Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville) & then the Eagles like you said. He was a MAN in hs, good player & tough to bring down.

Yes, Tracy Simien was a bull. He threw the shot & discus too, & I think won state in the discus or got 2nd. He is a great guy with wonderful parents. After playing about 9 or 10 years in the NFL as a LB, he is now coaching & has worked his way up from NFL Europe to the Houston Texans Asst. D-Line Coach. Unbelievable work ethic.

You're right, life is too short. Lost a classmate 2 weeks ago to cancer. He was 35.