PDA

View Full Version : Re-alignment: West Texas Winners and Losers

vet93
02-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Winners:
1. Abilene Wylie...for staying in 3a and being put in a district that will be more challenging. This should help them prepare even more for the playoffs. They also will be in the western half of the bracket which is much easier than going east toward Gainesville, Decatur etc...
2. Sweetwater...this should help their travel times.
3. Kermit...for dropping out of 3a into 2a and away from Greenwood which has served them alot of humble pie.
4. Seminole... for landing in a district that may be a lttle easier without powers such as Snyder, Sweetwater and Merkel. However, Greenwood and Monahans are no slouches.
5. Levelland...for dropping out of 4a where they were the perennial whipping boy into a district where they may have a chance to be successful.
6. Ballinger...for finally dropping to 2a after hovering on the bottom end of 3a for most of their existence and actually having 2a numbers the last 2 years it will be a welcome respite. However...they land in a district that touts two state finalist in 2a last year. Out of the frying pan into the fire. They also graduated almost every starter...yikes!
7. Comanche...leaving a district with Wylie, Ballinger, Clyde and Brady...going to an easier district in the east.
8. Kennedale...so they won't have to play those po-dunk west texas towns who shouldn't be on the same field with them like Vernon and Ballinger! I couldn't resist wink

Losers:

1. Clyde...have made great strides this past year in football but get thrown into a super competitve district. They will compete well but also I kind of wished that they could have gotten into a district where they could get their program established and have a few playoffs appearences under their belt.
2. Merkel...see Clyde above. However, Merkel came a long way this past year and proved they can hang. It will just be tough with several teams that have a decided enrollment advantage.
3. 5 team districts...may have some difficulty in scheduling games. However...Districts 1&2 and Districts 4 & 5 all have 5 teams each which means we could see some predistrict games that have playoff implications.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

CatWoman
02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
I love your #8. It brings a smile when I think about it!

Nikeguy
02-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Vet93, you forgot about Brady and Early. Don't know if the realignment made the winners or losers, but at least their not playing Wylie.