PDA

View Full Version : Comment by Cuero Coach

maroonpunt
10-23-2006, 08:07 AM
At some festival in Cuero yesterday, Sunday, one of my friends was there in line to get some food....he called and told me one of the cuero coaches was working the line with a Cuero legend who propelled Cuero to a State Title game with his strong leg in '85. A man asked him about how the Gobblers were not playing good football all the time in games. This coach made a very good comment that i had never thought of, He said that all the teams play their best game of the year and they are up for the #1 team each week and it is tough to play at that high level week in and week out.....This makes much sense........but then the coach made this next comment which is either mind boggling or Cuero is one heck of a team who hasnt played up to its potential yet.....He said realistically Cuero will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game....Could this be true or not......I hope this is not what the players are thinking....would hate for that attitude to bite them the way it did in '94 with a 20-20 tie that knocked Cuero out of the playoffs by a team that was not half as good as the gobblers and the gobblers had been ranked No.1 all year that year also.....Any thoughts....

GreenMonster
10-23-2006, 08:12 AM
There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I think this coach is just very confident in the abilities of his football team.

44INAROW
10-23-2006, 08:13 AM
my thoughts - a friend of a friend, said his friend said he heard his friend say this............

Phil C
10-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I think this coach is just very confident in the abilities of his football team.

Especially since it looks like he isn't going to have to play Gilmer!

:D

Just kidding Cuero friends.

44INAROW
10-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Just kidding Cuero friends.

Now that's funny :p :p
glad you're back in town and posting

pirate4state
10-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my thoughts - a friend of a friend, said his friend said he heard his friend say this............ ......I'm waiting!!! :D :p

44INAROW
10-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
......I'm waiting!!! :D :p

gimme some cookies and maybe I'll finish it :D

pirate4state
10-23-2006, 09:15 AM
gimme some cookies and maybe I'll finish it :D :clap: ROFL!!! :clap: :D :D

injuredinmelee
10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
He said realistically Cuero will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game

because Region IV is so weak... lol

sorry yall I had to say it... It is my go to joke.

eagles_victory
10-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by maroonpunt
At some festival in Cuero yesterday, Sunday, one of my friends was there in line to get some food....he called and told me one of the cuero coaches was working the line with a Cuero legend who propelled Cuero to a State Title game with his strong leg in '85. A man asked him about how the Gobblers were not playing good football all the time in games. This coach made a very good comment that i had never thought of, He said that all the teams play their best game of the year and they are up for the #1 team each week and it is tough to play at that high level week in and week out.....This makes much sense........but then the coach made this next comment which is either mind boggling or Cuero is one heck of a team who hasnt played up to its potential yet.....He said realistically Cuero will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game....Could this be true or not......I hope this is not what the players are thinking....would hate for that attitude to bite them the way it did in '94 with a 20-20 tie that knocked Cuero out of the playoffs by a team that was not half as good as the gobblers and the gobblers had been ranked No.1 all year that year also.....Any thoughts.... they thought that last year too then some hippos came out of nowhere and well yea we all know what happened after that. Theres a chance they might have to play LH before the state game and im pretty sure LH has a chance of beating them

GreenMachine
10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Everybody has their own opinion, but I guarantee this is not coming from the top. Our head coach prepares hard for every team and doesn't take any team for granted. But like it was said, EVERYONE gets "up" to play Cuero and it is hard for us to stay "up" week in and week out.

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Just kidding Cuero friends. As much as I hate to say it Gilmer probably would beat Cuero....and probably easily...IMO there is only one team in 3a that can beat Gilmer and that is Gilmer

wimbo_pro
10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I also doubt the coaches would say something like this, but I hope its true. Come the 3rd round of the D2 play offs, Cuero will meet someone who CAN beat them...and thats Wimberley. WILL Wimberley beat them? Ask me in 5 weeks.

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I also doubt the coaches would say something like this, but I hope its true. Come the 3rd round of the D2 play offs, Cuero will meet someone who CAN beat them...and thats Wimberley. WILL Wimberley beat them? Ask me in 5 weeks. Coaches are people too and off the record they will say what they really think....I could see a coach saying this in confidence...just like coaches of teams who suck they know thy suck but there never going to let their team know they think this..same in this situation

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I would have to know if that is what he said word for word, because not only does that sound arrogant, it puts all the pressure on the staff he works for because of they lose anytime before State in essence it is because of preperation by the coaches, because he himself is saying no one will be talented enough to beat them.

Just does not sound like something a coach would say in public. I hope it was not heard correctly.

3afan
10-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

if its your coach (generic) then its confidence, if its another coach then its arrogance ....

:thinking:

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I would have to know if that is what he said word for word, because not only does that sound arrogant, it puts all the pressure on the staff he works for because of they lose anytime before State in essence it is because of preperation by the coaches, because he himself is saying no one will be talented enough to beat them.

Just does not sound like something a coach would say in public. I hope it was not heard correctly. exactly not something he would say in public.....my point was just he would say something like that personally if he believed it but not in public

44INAROW
10-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Just does not sound like something a coach would say in public. I hope it was not heard correctly.

exactly why I said what i said earlier

my thoughts - a friend of a friend, said his friend said he heard his friend say this............

GreenMachine
10-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
As much as I hate to say it Gilmer probably would beat Cuero....and probably easily...IMO there is only one team in 3a that can beat Gilmer and that is Gilmer We will never know. Besides, they could very well beat us, as alot of teams can beat each other, but I promise you...it would NOT be easy. ;)

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
We will never know. Besides, they could very well beat us, as alot of teams can beat each other, but I promise you...it would NOT be easy. ;) it would look easy on the scoreboard.....i might look anti cuero but im not bc i know some of their payers and like them so i do want them to win state so on that count i dont want to see them go D1 but i would like to see them play gilmer as a football fan

wooden bear
10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
We all know that Cuero could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. Thats what we have t osays guys we dont want to be negative towards are babies do we?

GreenMachine
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wooden bear
We all know that Cuero could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. Thats what we have t osays guys we dont want to be negative towards are babies do we? When you grow up and learn how to spell, maybe we will be able to understand you.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Well #1 way to prove this as a bogus post is that it was posted on the 23rd... there was no festival in Cuero yesterday... that was last weekend...

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
We all know that Cuero could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. Thats what we have t osays guys we dont want to be negative towards are babies do we?

Correct you are... you're coming around...

:rolleyes:

IHStangFan
10-23-2006, 03:04 PM
We all know that Cuero could beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. Thats what we have t osays guys we dont want to be negative towards are babies do we? youre right, they probably could beat anyone anywhere anytime but that goes both ways....they could also be beat at anytime by anyone anywhere....hence the phrase "any given sunday" in this case..."any given friday" cause ya just never know whos gonna show up and ruin your picnic.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
youre right, they probably could beat anyone anywhere anytime but that goes both ways....they could also be beat at anytime by anyone anywhere....hence the phrase "any given sunday" in this case..."any given friday" cause ya just never know whos gonna show up and ruin your picnic.

yah, you tell him... wooden bear is just way out there, don't understand this guy...:D

Aesculus gilmus
10-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Look out for Diboll, Gobblers. Gilbert Moye is back in action. He's tanned, rested and ready.

The Lumberjacks wield axes. This makes most Gobblers very nervous, I've noticed.

And Gilbert has an ax to grind after what happened to him over the past year.

Try to keep your composure.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

The Lumberjacks wield axes. This makes most Gobblers very nervous, I've noticed.

ha...

nah, here in this area of Texas it's just 12-guages and sometimes compound-bows with those nasty guillotine tips on 'em that make Gobblers nervous... no one in our path wield's those... :D

clemsmarina
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
...are some bad gitter gitters, and they come outta Liberty Hill too!!!

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
ha...

nah, here in this area of Texas it's just 12-guages and sometimes compound-bows with those nasty guillotine tips on 'em that make Gobblers nervous... no one in our path wield's those... :D

JT44
10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Well #1 way to prove this as a bogus post is that it was posted on the 23rd... there was no festival in Cuero yesterday... that was last weekend...

I noticed that too!

eagles_victory
10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by JT44
I noticed that too! this is the ultimate hearsay thread

maroonpunt
10-23-2006, 06:49 PM
there was a festival on sunday the 22 at the catholic church in town where a gobbler coach was working in the cater line....stick that in your pipe gobbla......

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 06:51 PM
there was a festival on sunday the 22 at the catholic church in town where a gobbler coach was working in the cater line....stick that in your pipe gobbla......

I don't have a pipe...

but I guess I was wrong... my bad

wooden bear
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Gobbla when can i get in the hall of fame like you?

maroonpunt
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
good thing, means you support red ribbon week....and most people who do have a pipe would of prolly had to hock it for their addiction..unless they smoke what my gramps did in his pipe....

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
At some sleepover at a maroonpunt's house yesterday, Sunday, one of my younger cousins was there in the kitchen to get some food....he called and told me maroonpunt was serving alcohol to jr. high kids and making passes at them. A man asked him why he was doing it and he said that no one will stop him, he can do what he wants. I hope this is not what he really thinks, he can't get away with that ....would hate for that attitude to take over his mind.... same thing happened to michael jackson and he doesn't have neverland anymore...

ya see, anyone can come up with anything...

wedo
10-23-2006, 06:56 PM
At some festival in Cuero yesterday, Sunday, one of my friends was there in line to get some food....he called and told me one of the cuero coaches was working the line with a Cuero legend who propelled Cuero to a State Title game with his strong leg in '85. A man asked him about how the Gobblers were not playing good football all the time in games. This coach made a very good comment that i had never thought of, He said that all the teams play their best game of the year and they are up for the #1 team each week and it is tough to play at that high level week in and week out.....This makes much sense........but then the coach made this next comment which is either mind boggling or Cuero is one heck of a team who hasnt played up to its potential yet.....He said realistically Cuero will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game....Could this be true or not......I hope this is not what the players are thinking....would hate for that attitude to bite them the way it did in '94 with a 20-20 tie that knocked Cuero out of the playoffs by a team that was not half as good as the gobblers and the gobblers had been ranked No.1 all year that year also.....Any thoughts....

Ive seen Cuero play twice this year and other top 3a teams!! IMO Cuero is a really good team they just didn't dominate in the games i saw for a coach to supposively say that!! IMO WOS has more size and overall team speed!! Just my opinion nobody start crying now!!!

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Gobbla when can i get in the hall of fame like you?

I don't know, you gotta be very special...

a new round next year, make your mark and maybe some folks will nominate you

wooden bear
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Im trying so hard man.

HM33
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't doubt WOS has more size and speed. Cuero is rather small compared to years past. I always compare the teams to the size of ours (the '04 state team)..we were huge. Now for speed, yes, Cuero has a lot of speed, but I also know WOS always has speed. So I'm not crying :) I still pick Cuero though :P

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 07:04 PM
good thing, means you support red ribbon week....and most people who do have a pipe would of prolly had to hock it for their addiction..unless they smoke what my gramps did in his pipe....

I never said I didn't have a bong.....

but I don't...

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I understand your analysis... I saw WO-S last year and they were for sure equal on the speed factor... but they were pretty small... good ball-club and maybe they're bigger this year...

But one of those games you saw (bay city) we had two of our fastest guys on the sideline who were wr's/db's... those two would have given you a show against BC...

wedo
10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by HM33
I don't doubt WOS has more size and speed. Cuero is rather small compared to years past. I always compare the teams to the size of ours (the '04 state team)..we were huge. Now for speed, yes, Cuero has a lot of speed, but I also know WOS always has speed. So I'm not crying :) I still pick Cuero though :P

That 04 Cuero team was big but not bigger than the team they lost to in Bi-district in 03!! That would be the Wharton Tigers!! I was on that team and we were freakin huge!! Just not me!!!:(

wooden bear
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
That was the biggest team i have ever seen i think(whaarton) after that the 04 Cuero team

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
yah, that '03 team was pretty big... amazing how that team couldn't hang with Burnet... size, speed... dunno what the hell was up with those teams...

HM33
10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by wedo
That 04 Cuero team was big but not bigger than the team they lost to in Bi-district in 03!! That would be the Wharton Tigers!! I was on that team and we were freakin huge!! Just not me!!!:(

Yes, the 03 Wharton team was big. We were just big as a team. Had some grownies on the team.

crabman
10-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I also doubt the coaches would say something like this, but I hope its true. Come the 3rd round of the D2 play offs, Cuero will meet someone who CAN beat them...and thats Wimberley. WILL Wimberley beat them? Ask me in 5 weeks.

And you think Cuero is presumptuous. Wimberly is already into the third round of the playoffs !!!!

Bull Butter
10-23-2006, 11:20 PM
would hate for that attitude to bite them the way it did in '94 with a 20-20 tie that knocked Cuero out of the playoffs by a team that was not half as good as the gobblers and the gobblers had been ranked No.1 all year that year also

I was in the stadium that night. Port Isabel was every bit as good as Cuero. Cuero might have been better on paper, but Finley totally got outcoached by Tony Villarreal. Tony V had his team ready to play. Nothing Cuero did was anything that the Tarpons hadn't already seen before. PI was a team that was a lot better than anyone in Cuero could have ever imagined. They saw PI as just another crappy valley team to run over.

I saw Port Isabel play many games that season. To say they weren't "Half as good" as Cuero is a gross mis-statement.

But, back to 2006. Hopefully, the Gobblers learned their lesson because they may meet up with a team that is a lot better than they think and steal their dream yet again.

wimbo_pro
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Crabman...I think its safe to assume that Wimberley will be in the 3rd round...as safe as it is to assume Cuero will be as well. Of course, on any given night....we all know this is underlying ANY and ALL predictions.

rb585
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't have any idea why Cuero is so confident. They've played one good team this year (Liberty Hill) and one decent team (LaVernia), and they had trouble with both. Everyone else on their schedule is absolutely bad.

wimbo_pro
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Cuero is considered tough because of their speed (they BLEW AWAY everyone in track, and most of their track team is on the football team in key positions), they have size (as usual) and they have a winning tradition...they know how to get it done.

HM33
10-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Cuero always plays tough. They know how to show up and play. I know thats how we did it. Yes, Cuero has a pretty easy road this year besides a few, but they are winning like they should be. To be honest with you, you can't win without being confident, although you can be over confident. They are good even though they haven't played an Outstanding team yet. Besides LH

JT44
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
At one of the catholic church's festival.
I used to frequent that church and I know which coach goes there, unless one of the new coaches goes there
I would only take the comment seriously if it was Reeve himself, or his son, but the coach that goes there is not a big part of the football team, I think he's junior high this year, I know he's not jv or 9

Texasfootball2
10-24-2006, 12:13 PM
That was the biggest team i have ever seen i think(whaarton) after that the 04 Cuero team

Just more proof that "size doesn't matter", Lost the Wylie in the state finals.

HM33
10-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Just more proof that "size doesn't matter", Lost the Wylie in the state finals.

We were simply out coached in that game.

wimbo_pro
10-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Size does NOT matter, I agree. We beat every team that was bigger than us. But size AND speed is a real threat...and Cuero has both.

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I am trying so hard to behave :doh:

JT44
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
you know I probably shouldn't have contributed my earlier post, I will stop now:hand:

pirate4state
10-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I am trying so hard to behave :doh: Girl just let it all hang out. Ignore that thing your momma always said to you "if they jump off a bridge you gonna jump too?" Let 'er rip!! :devil: :D :D :D

bandera7
10-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by rb585
I don't have any idea why Cuero is so confident. They've played one good team this year (Liberty Hill) and one decent team (LaVernia), and they had trouble with both. Everyone else on their schedule is absolutely bad.

You must have no understanding of how the La Vernia game went...they were playing without many of their good players. That is the true test of a good team, if they can win without their biggest names, and Cuero has done that.

GreenMachine
10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by JT44
At one of the catholic church's festival.
I used to frequent that church and I know which coach goes there, unless one of the new coaches goes there
I would only take the comment seriously if it was Reeve himself, or his son, but the coach that goes there is not a big part of the football team, I think he's junior high this year, I know he's not jv or 9 I go to that church, I know the coach that goes there, and he is a big part of the team. He is a good coach and friend.

rb585
10-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
You must have no understanding of how the La Vernia game went...they were playing without many of their good players. That is the true test of a good team, if they can win without their biggest names, and Cuero has done that.

And you have no understanding of the topic at hand. We all know Cuero is "a good team." We don't need you to tell us that.

This thread is about whether they're so far above everyone else in Regions III and IV that they "will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game." And based on how they've struggled to beat the only two decent teams on the schedule, that statement is pretty baseless.

44INAROW
10-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by rb585
And you have no understanding of the topic at hand. We all know Cuero is "a good team." We don't need you to tell us that.

This thread is about whether they're so far above everyone else in Regions III and IV that they "will not play any competition that is capable of beating them until the State Game." And based on how they've struggled to beat the only two decent teams on the schedule, that statement is pretty baseless.

OK, I tried....

How many Cuero games have you seen this year? So I guess if Cuero struggled to beat LH - Wimberley struggled to beat them as well? I am not saying we (meaning the team) are any better than the top teams of Reg I, II or III - just asking you a simple question... You don't know WHAT Cuero has struggled with - with 7 starters out at one time (not an excuse mind you, just trying to rationalize with this guy) numerous adjustments were being made, some successful, some not - but isn't that what the pre-season is all about??? - Yes, we have fallen short in the last 2 years - but being beat by last second field goals by two very good teams, does not exactly mean we "choked" as some say. Like I said at the beginning of this thread - a post was made with 3rd hand statements - I am not saying the poster was lying by any stretch of the imagination and I have no doubt a comment was made - just maybe the statement was taken out of context. Will Cuero make it to the finals? Who the heck knows, will Cuero win the game in Round 1? Again, who knows, I do know this, I'll be here to support the team win or lose and I won't be making excuses., which by the way, I saw plenty of the morning after that game in Seguin in 2004.

GO MEAN GREEN