3. West Virginia
4. USC
5. Louisville
6. Auburn
7. Texas
8. Arkansas
9. Florida
10. Tennessee

BDR's Power Rankings (Who I think's actually the best team... NOT based on record)

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. West Virginia
4. USC
5a. Auburn
5b. Arkansas
7. Clemson
8. Florida
9a. Louisville
9b. UT
9c. the other UT, the one in Knoxville
12. Wisconsin (they're always nearly unbeatable throughout most of the first part of the season)
13. Cal
14. LSU (still beat up from the Auburn game)
15. Notre Dame
16. Wake Forest
17. Nebraska
18. Boston College
19. Georgia Tech (yeah, Clemson's that good)
20. South Carolina (they're winning games ugly, but they're still finding ways to win... We'll find out what they're made of as they go through the heart of their schedule the next five weeks... On deck, Tennessee and Arkie at Brice-Williams and Florida and Clemson away... all four are in my top ten)
21. Oklahoma
22. Boise State
23. Rutgers
24. Penn State
25. BYU

On deck: Texas A&M, Pitt, Iowa, Va Tech, Maryland, and Mizzou

Team to watch out for this year: Colorado--- They were written off after losing to Pocatella High and Colorado State, but they've come together more and more every week. Immediately after those first two embarassing losses, they played three consecutive ranked teams close and then put it all together against Tech. That OU game yesterday was horrible, but if you look in the fine print you'll see that their defense only allowed 271 yards and only 3.4 yards per carry. Sure, Allen Patrick hung 110 rushing yards on them, but it took 35 carries for him to do so. The longest carry they allowed was a 17-yarder by Sooner QB Paul Thompson. The longest pass play was a 19-yarder... by a Sooner TE (whose dad just happens to be Cuero's former HC). Dan Hawkins is turning this team around, and even though he had to start from scratch, we're already seeing flashes of a team that may be the next Big XII North dynasty. Hawkins has turned an anemic defense around and has the second-best defensive line in the conference. They have one, last chance to throw (another) monkey wrench in the Big XII race before it's all said and done. I think they take one against Kansas or Iowa State and, if they can gel by the time November 24 rolls around, could pull off a major shocker in Lincoln.

Why is it...
-That Army plays three top-notch Texas schools (A&M, Baylor, and TCU) tough, then lets Rice run all over them? And on that note, UConn beat them 21-7. Does that make UConn two TDs better than Texas A&M?
-That Big XII teams either have an outstanding offense or an outstanding defense, but nowhere (except in Austin) can the two coexist? i.e. Tech's, Baylor's, and A&M's offense. OU's, Nebraska's, and CU's defense.
-OK, let me retract that Nebraska comment. Zac Taylor's one of the best QB's in the league and proved it by exposing some young Longhorn DBs on Saturday. But the thing that's really been keeping me up nights is that they've been putting Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, and Brandon Jackson to good use. That's a hell of a backfield, and when they get their running game going (as much as it pains me to say this), they may ascend back to an elite-caliber team. They're almost there now.
-That one-loss Auburn, Florida, and Texas teams get tons of pub, but a Clemson squad that may be better than all of them get none? Oh, I forgot. Voters tend to factor in how good you've been the past few years instead of JUST how good you are right now.
-That mid-major powerhouses Utah and TCU could start off the season with such promise, but wind up at .500?
-That Kent State is 5-2, with wins against both Akron and Toledo?
-That we all overlooked Wazzu?
-That with big wins over Oregon State, Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho (three of which were away games), there isn't more talk about Boise State crashing the BCS? Or am I just not paying enough attention? The only team that's kept it close has been Wyoming. Biggest games left: Fresno State next Tuesday and at Nevada to finish the year.
-That the Big XII has a legit claim to being the second-worst BCS conference this year, when just two to three years ago it had a legit claim to be the best conference in the nation?

big daddy russ
10-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Talk amongst yaselves.

AggieJohn
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Talk amongst yaselves. i think you pretty much blew us out of the water there russ

carter08
10-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Boise State at 22 is too low
I mean, come on...

SMURF TURF

You can't beat that
They should be Top 10 for that reason

big daddy russ
10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Boise State at 22 is too low
I mean, come on...

SMURF TURF

You can't beat that
They should be Top 10 for that reason
I really want to see them go up against BYU in a Bowl Game. I know the chances are pretty dang close to nil, but it'd be nice.

carter08
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Power Rankings

Auburn should be 5b, because Arkansas beat them.

Heck, just put Auburn #6
They'll be dropping fast when they lose the Iron Bowl

4 SEC teams in a row.
No.
The SEC is good, but not that good.
Clemson is not better than Florida.
They still have Leak and Tebow.
Tennesee will collapse
Texas is better than all the SEC teams on this list.
Colorado is done. They lost to a D-1AA school. They have no hope left.
Army plays to thier oponents. Good teams, play close. Bad teams= Blowout
or
Could it be that Rice is underrated.
UConn could be better than TAMU. They haven't played, so you can't be sure.
Kent State is overlooked. They have a good team.
Boise State should crash the BCS, but the WAC gets ZERO respect.

big daddy russ
10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Power Rankings

Auburn should be 5b, because Arkansas beat them.

Heck, just put Auburn #6
They'll be dropping fast when they lose the Iron Bowl

4 SEC teams in a row.
No.
The SEC is good, but not that good.
Clemson is not better than Florida.
They still have Leak and Tebow.
Tennesee will collapse
Texas is better than all the SEC teams on this list.
Colorado is done. They lost to a D-1AA school. They have no hope left.
Army plays to thier oponents. Good teams, play close. Bad teams= Blowout
or
Could it be that Rice is underrated.
UConn could be better than TAMU. They haven't played, so you can't be sure.
Kent State is overlooked. They have a good team.
Boise State should crash the BCS, but the WAC gets ZERO respect.
Where are the four SEC teams in a row? And looking out at the rest of the college landscape, i'd say you could pick any of the top five SEC teams (Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Florida, or Arkansas) and they'd be one of the two favorites to win any other conference (in the PAC-10, you'd have USC; in the ACC, Clemson; and in the Big XII you'd have UT).

As great as the Gators' defense is, I'd say Clemson's is every bit as good, and Clemson may have the best offense in the nation. Leak and Tebow are great, but Clemson's offense is more balanced, and James Davis is making a strong case that he's the best RB in the nation behind Garrett Wolfe and the recently-departed Adrian Peterson. Combine that with the fact that Will Proctor has quietly put together a great season and that CJ Spiller, their second back, still has a chance to go over 1,000 yards and I'd say that they're every bit as good as Florida. They don't have the name and don't get the pub, but they have a hell of a ballclub.

RE: Tennessee... Will they?

RE: Texas... I won't argue with you on that one. If any of the top 11 teams played against each other in an 11-game season, I'd be surprised if any won more than seven games. They're all pretty equal... yes, even Ohio State.

RE: Colorado... They beat Tech. They have a couple of winnable games coming up. Let's see what happens.

RE: Army... I could see that. And no, Rice isn't underrated. A solid mid-major? Definitely. A legitimately good team? Definitely not.

I really don't think UConn's quite that good, but I think they'd get a lot more respect than they do if they played in the Big XII North. They could realistically finish third up there... and give A&M a run for their money.

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 10:23 PM
THREAD PIRATE!!!! :(

big daddy russ
10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
THREAD PIRATE!!!! :(
My bad. I liked WVU at #4. Good job not being a homer.

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
My bad. I liked WVU at #4. Good job not being a homer. WV is good. I've picked them for the NC at the end of last season. Michigan is somewhat a surprise.

USC will lose later in the season. I knew ND was overrated

big daddy russ
10-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
WV is good. I've picked them for the NC at the end of last season. Michigan is somewhat a surprise.

USC will lose later in the season. I knew ND was overrated
Who you got on the other side? Michigan, OSU, Boise, or Sam Houston State?

You know you want to pick the Bearkats.

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Who you got on the other side? Michigan, OSU, Boise, or Sam Houston State?

You know you want to pick the Bearkats. Ohio State. They are the most complete team this year. Michigan is vulnerable on offense when they play a team that can stop the run and have a decent pass pro. Ohio State will win that one by 10 at the end of the year.

carter08
10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Where are the four SEC teams in a row?

Sorry, i meant 4 in the Top 10

big daddy russ
10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry, i meant 4 in the Top 10
Carter, take this one thing into consideration. The SEC is without a doubt the best conference in the nation. The Big Ten is without a doubt the second-best conference in the nation. How would the SEC's third-best team (either Arkie, Auburn, Tennessee, or LSU... take your pick) fare against the Big Ten's third-best team, Wisconsin? How would the fourth-best teams fare? And just go down the line.

SEC-Big Ten
1. Auburn/Florida-Ohio State... OSU's better, but not by much
2. Auburn/Florida-Michigan... I'd give the edge to Michigan, but we're splitting hairs here

...this is where it starts to get ugly

3. Arkie/UT/LSU-Wisconsin... SEC takes this one, though the Badgers would keep it kind of close
4. Arkie/UT/LSU-Penn State... SEC comfortably
5. Arkie/UT/LSU-Iowa... SEC comfortably
6. Bama-Purdue... Bama big
7. South Carolina-Michigan State... Draw
8. UGA-Indiana... As bad as they've been, Georgia pretty comfortably
9. Vandy, yes Vandy!!!-Minnesota... Vandy's been playing some good ball, so the Commodores comfortably
10. Kentucky-Illinois... Kentucky, but this one would be close; I'll even give you the Illini if you really want them, but KU's the better team
11. Ole Miss-Northwestern... SEC in a blowout

Any of the SEC's top five would be contenders in the Big Ten. They'd be contenders in any league. YES, THE SEC IS THAT DOMINANT!!!

Two years ago, they were underrated. Last year, they were overrated. This year, you can't give them enough credit. Even Vandy's been playing some decent ball and would be a middle-of-the-road team in any other conference.

g$$
10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Tiger WR:

So you are banging the WVU/Ohio State drum for the NC game now? I have said that for at least a month now. Back in the good 'ol days when I went back & forth with a Longhorn fella!

If Ohio State beats Michigan, & USC finally runs out of luck, & WVU runs the Big East table by beating Louisville/Rutgers/Pitt, then it could really happen. I think it will too.

WVU vs. Ohio State for all the marbles in Arizona.

Old Tiger
10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Tiger WR:

So you are banging the WVU/Ohio State drum for the NC game now? I have said that for at least a month now. Back in the good 'ol days when I went back & forth with a Longhhorn fella!

I said last year if Texas beat Ohio State it would be Texas/WV but Texas lost.