PDA

View Full Version : Sinton Pirate Band Scores 1

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 08:58 PM
CONGRATS TO THE PIRATE BAND ON SCORING A 1 AT TONIGHTS REGIONAL COMPETITION. :clap: :clap: THE WINNING TRADITION NEVER DIES!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 09:24 PM
woohoo go band!! In our Region Robinson, China Spring and Gatesville scored 1's

eagles_victory
10-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
woohoo go band!! In our Region Robinson, China Spring and Gatesville scored 1's Robinson is a dynasty in band.

Ray_BearKat
10-21-2006, 09:29 PM
in our region the contest is still going...should be over around 10:30ish.

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 09:32 PM
geez wut time did it start?

Ray_BearKat
10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
4:15

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
In Sinton it started at 11:30 am, But I guess it depends on how many bands are attending in your region

3afan
10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
so I guess '1' is good?

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
yeah... we started at 9:30 this morning and it didnt end till 6:30 tonite

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
so I guess '1' is good?

Yep

Ray_BearKat
we have 21 bands, i think...2A-5A

I think our competition is different then other regions, its a big production. Its called Pigskin Jubilee all the bands perform and then at the very end each band parades across the home side playing their fight song and marches on to the field and after each band is on the field then the rating are announced. Once rating are announced the celebrations occur on the field or heartbreak if you didn't make the "1".

They've been doing it this way for decades...since way before the UIL had state competitions.

marlin fan
so I guess '1' is good? 1 is the best 2 is okay 3-5 u really suck lol

3afan
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
whats the worst -- 4 or 5? 10?

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
we have 21 bands, i think...2A-5A

I think our competition is different then other regions, its a big production. Its called Pigskin Jubilee all the bands perform and then at the very end each band parades across the home side playing their fight song and marches on to the field and after each band is on the field then the rating are announced. Once rating are announced the celebrations occur on the field or heartbreak if you didn't make the "1". yeah thats really diffrent our 1a and 2a dont go till the 25th

Ray_BearKat
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
whats the worst -- 4 or 5? 10?

personally i've never seen worse then a 4...

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
whats the worst -- 4 or 5? 10? 5 is the worst dont think anyone has ever goten a 5.Hearne the only band i have ever heard to get a 4 in our region and well hillsboro got a 4 tonite

big daddy russ
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Anyone know how Ingleside did? I know we made all 1's for something like 30 straight years when I was in HS, but haven't kept up with it since.

My best friend's little brother is actually the band director in Ingleside these days.

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 09:58 PM
At Pirate Stadium we had Class A, 2A, & 3A

Class A- Pettus, Ben Bolt, Woodsboro, Benavides
Class 2A- Odem, Hebbronville, Premont, Bishop, Refugio
Taft, Banquete, Freer, Skidmore Tynan, George West
Three Rivers, Rivera
Class 3A- Sinton, Ingleside, Zapata, Orange Grove, Mathis
West Oso, San Diego, Aransas Pass, Goliad, Falfurrias

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Ingleside made a 1

3afan
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
what do you have to do to get a 4 or 5? or not do?

big daddy russ
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
You wanna form our own little marching band and see if we can't make a 5?

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
If im correct they need to stay in perfect position and don't miss a step. especially the color guard they gotta make sure they don't drop their flags. and to score a 1 they need to be creative in their performance

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
today we did 3a-5a

3a- Gatesville, Navasota, Groesbeck,West, Whitney, Waco Connally, Waco La Vega, Waco Robinson, Lorena, Hillsboro, Madisonville, Fairfield, Mexia, Cameron, China Spring

4a, Waco University, Killeen High, Waco High, Coppress cove, Corsicana, Waco Midway

5a Killeen shoemaker, Killeen Ellision, Belton, Temple, Bryan, A&M Consolidated,

Fal44
10-21-2006, 10:12 PM
What Did Falfurrias Get..?

3afan
10-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You wanna form our own little marching band and see if we can't make a 5?

we'd do a 3 at least! dont ya think?

maybe 4 - definitely not a 5

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Falfurrias scored a 1

Ray_BearKat
10-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
At Pirate Stadium we had Class A, 2A, & 3A

Class A- Pettus, Ben Bolt, Woodsboro, Benavides
Class 2A- Odem, Hebbronville, Premont, Bishop, Refugio
Taft, Banquete, Freer, Skidmore Tynan, George West
Three Rivers, Rivera
Class 3A- Sinton, Ingleside, Zapata, Orange Grove, Mathis
West Oso, San Diego, Aransas Pass, Goliad, Falfurrias

In Region 28 which is half of the Valley from Donna to Brownsville we had...

2A: Santa Rosa

3A: Progeso, Rio Hondo, Port Isabel, La Feria, Raymondville, Lyford

4A: Mercedes, Edcouch-Elsa, Weslaco East

5A: Los Fresnos, Brownsville Lopez, Brownsville Hanna, Brownsville Pace, Brownsville Rivera, Brownsville Porter, Harlingen, Harlingen South, San Benito, Weslaco, Donna

Seeing the larger classifications is a real treat...the valley has some great bands.

In 3A Rio Hondo is the back to back Area Champion and placed 8th at state just missing the Finals...Port Isabel is the 4th ranked 3A band in the state, La Feria just missed state last time around.

In 5A, Harlingen is always great and this year Brownsville Lopez is in 5A they were at state last year and have made the finals a few years running now...they tied for 7th in state 4A last year with fellow valley school Roma. I stayed behind after the 3A's performed just to watch Lopez...they were awesome.

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Someone stated last night on one of their posts that they are band nerds, but they do work as hard as the football players and they should deserve alot of credit they are the heart of the football season adding spirit for their teams across the state, adding great performances during half time shows.

loboes86
10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Does anybody else have jr.high bands marching in UIL contests ?

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Does anybody else have jr.high bands marching in UIL contests ?

I think its only High School level

marlin fan
10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Does anybody else have jr.high bands marching in UIL contests ? lol they dont march

loboes86
10-21-2006, 10:34 PM
We were told we had the only jr. high band marching in the state. That was just hard for me to believe.

Ray_BearKat
10-21-2006, 10:46 PM
we used to have a marching band in JH but they quit that a few years back...now the JH band only plays in the stands for some JH games.

maroonpirate04
10-21-2006, 10:56 PM
At Sinton the only time the JH band marchs is at our homecoming parade. They use to allow them to play with the HS but not march during halftime many years back

loboes86
10-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Our jr high band has marched at two different contests the last couple weeks. Many years ago I remeber all the schools in the district had jr. high bands marching. And they marched last night since Fabens didn't bring a band.

Phil C
10-22-2006, 08:47 AM
CONGRATS TO THE PIRATE BAND ON SCORING A 1 AT TONIGHTS REGIONAL COMPETITION. :clap: :clap: THE WINNING TRADITION NEVER DIES!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
10-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Ingleside made a 1

In the past several years Ingleside has also had some great acrobats. You should watch them when you go to one of their games. They are great. We got great cheerleaders but only one is very acrobatic and she is a senior. But wait our seventh grade cheerleaders get to high school. I could be wrong on the other numbers but I know I am right about the seventh grade cheerleaders.

Phil C
10-22-2006, 08:51 AM
One thing I think that goes on is that sometimes it takes time to overcome tradition. If a band has gotten 4 over the past several years even when they improve and deserve a 2 they are sometimes awarded a 3 or maybe still a 4. It is so subjective.

carter08
10-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Columbia advanced to Round 2
Whatever its called
Good Luck

Adidas410s
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM

I'll go find the exact wording...but pretty much to score a 5 the UIL handbook says that the director should consider a different profession.

Adidas410s
10-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I'll go find the exact wording...but pretty much to score a 5 the UIL handbook says that the director should consider a different profession.

Here is a link to the description of the 4 different areas that a band can be judged on: http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/pdf/04_reg_march_desc.pdf

I'm still looking for the general descriptions of the ratings.

pirate4state
10-22-2006, 11:04 AM
:clap: Congrats to Sinton!!! :clap: I don't understand how a band "WINS" though. :confused: Do all the bands that scored a "1" advance?? Is there gonna be ONE band that wins the whole thing or several bands??

Adidas410s
10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
you don't win at region. This year 3A and 5A bands advance to area...and then to state. The top 3-5 bands (potentially more) will advance to state from each area. Then there are prelims and then finals at state and then the state champ is crowned. Confused yet? ;)

carter08
10-22-2006, 11:28 AM
you don't win at region. This year 3A and 5A bands advance to area...and then to state. The top 3-5 bands (potentially more) will advance to state from each area. Then there are prelims and then finals at state and then the state champ is crowned. Confused yet? ;)

Say it slowly

The Columbia Roughneck Band will win state

maroonpirate04
10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
When a school scores a 1 they will advance whatever round they have. I think its the state competition but it's defferent at State every year defferent classes will advance to state for example in 2006 its gonna be Classes 3A & 5A 2007 Classes A, 2A, 4A willl advance to State

gobble_up03
10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
cuero's band scored a 2....they worked hard for it as well...but seeing them at halftimes (and being a former band member myself) i know there could have been some improvement in a few areas....but congrats on a 2!!!

maroonpirate04
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by gobble_up03
cuero's band scored a 2....they worked hard for it as well...but seeing them at halftimes (and being a former band member myself) i know there could have been some improvement in a few areas....but congrats on a 2!!!

There were some bands who played real good but ended up with a 2 but i guess kids get nervous in front of judges and ending up messing up

piratebg
10-23-2006, 07:24 AM
At Sinton the only time the JH band marchs is at our homecoming parade. They use to allow them to play with the HS but not march during halftime many years back

They also march at the Christmas Parade. When I was in JH, I played in the stands every Friday night, either in bass or snare, and I got to do a half time show when I was in 8th grade. I also marched in the Buc Parade with the HS every year since I was in 7th grade.

Congrats Pirates on keeping the tradition going :clap: :clap: :clap:

maroonpirate04
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Sinton will march this coming Saturday if they get a 1 I believe they will advance to State. Need to get more info from my nephew
on the time and place this saturday Go Pirate Band!!!!!

Blastoderm55
10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Anyone know what rating Mathis got? I heard they have yet another new director this year. :(

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Sinton will march this coming Saturday if they get a 1 I believe they will advance to State. Need to get more info from my nephew
on the time and place this saturday Go Pirate Band!!!!!

Ratings 1-5 are only given at region. At the area competition...1 band for every 5 that qualified will advance to state. Let me go pull up info for their area competition and I'll get you the rest of the details.

Blastoderm55
10-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Ratings 1-5 are only given at region. At the area competition...1 band for every 5 that qualified will advance to state. Let me go pull up info for their area competition and I'll get you the rest of the details.

Five advance? Wow, when I was still in school it was only 3 and an alternate. We got close my junior year, finishing in the top 10 but couldn't stand up to montrous bands like Hidalgo.

Edit: :doh: Completely misread what you said. :p

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Here is how the advancement process works...

The judging panel will consist of 3 music judges and 2 marching execution judges.

The band's final rank will be determined by adding the rankings of all five judges.

1. A/AA/AAA Certification. In conferences A/AA/AAA the music area shall certify the three bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the state marching band contest. Should twenty or more bands participate in a single conference at the area contest, one band for each five bands competing in the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

2. In addition any band that receives a ranking of three or higher from two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to state.

Advancement from preliminaries to finals

Ranking will be determined by adding the rank scores of all five judges.

If there are 15 or fewer bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top 5 places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below fifth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

If there are 20 or fewer bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top seven places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below seventh place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

If there are 21 or more bands in prelims the bands ranked in the top ten places will automatically advance to the finals. In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals.

State champion

Ranking in finals will be determined by adding the rank scores of all five judges. The band with the highest ranking will be declared the state champion. Exception: In the event that a band receives a first place rank from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges, that band will be the state champion. Second and Third place will then be determined by total rank scores. All other bands in the finals will be awarded a State Finalist Trophy. (NOTE: This State Champion Format was recommended by the UIL/TMEA Music Advisory Committee and was approved by that body and by unanimous endorsement of the UIL Technical Advisory Committee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure for selecting bands to advance from area to state

The following procedure will be used to determine the advancement of bands from area to state and the placement of bands at the state contest.

A. At the conclusion of the contest each judge's raw score will be used to determine each judge's ranking. In each conference the band receiving the highest numerical score will be assigned first place for each judge, the next highest score will be assigned second place and so on until a ranking for each band is determined for all five judges.

B. The five judges' ranking for each band will then be added together. The high and low will NOT be eliminated. All scores will count.

C. The final ranking will then be determined by assigning the band with the lowest composite score first place, the next lowest composite score second place and so on until the band with the highest composite score is listed last.

D. Ties may be broken by using judges preference. For example:

Music
Music
Music
Marching
Marching

Judge 1
Judge 2
Judge 3
Judge 1
Judge 2
Score

Band A

Band B

Both Bands end up with a final composite score of 15 resulting in a tie. However, the tie can always be broken by determining which band was ranked highest by at least three judges. In this case, Band A would be selected because judges 1, 2 and 4 preferred Band A over Band B.

E. Ties need not be broken unless they affect a band selected to advance to State or the band selected as an alternate.

F. Verification Period. At the conclusion of each conference, there should be a verification period during which directors will have the opportunity to review the tabulation of the final rankings. The following procedure will be observed:

One representative from each school will be permitted to review the tabulation and ranking procedure.
2. If all present agree that there is no error in the tabulation process, then the results will become official and will be made public.

3. If there is a protest regarding the tabulations, the rankings will be held and a final judgement made by the State office.

4. There can be no future protest of rankings after the results are announced as official.

5. A director not present during the verification period forfeits his opportunity to protest.

G. Only the bands selected to advance to State and the alternate will be announced at the conclusion of the contest.

H. All tabulations and other results will be made available to the directors only after the contest is completed

Adidas410s
10-23-2006, 03:45 PM
oh...and information on area will not be released until tmrw.

maroonpirate04
10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Anyone know what rating Mathis got? I heard they have yet another new director this year. :(

I Think Mathis got a 3, Funny thing at the competition when Mathis was on the field ready to perform the announcer called Mathis Sinton

maroonpirate04
10-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the info Addias

piratebg
10-24-2006, 07:44 AM
maroon, is the next level still in Calallen? When and at what time do the Pirates perform?

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
maroon, is the next level still in Calallen? When and at what time do the Pirates perform?

Yes the area contest is at Calallen. The times should be posted about 9AM this morning.

Cats Fan
10-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Area E--Complete List and Prelim Schedule (http://www.uilmusic15.com/band/20062007/area_3a_0607.pdf)

Thats what you guys are looking for....there are ten bands that advance from the prelims to finals. 1 band for every 5 band will advance, so there will be 5 bands advancing. Look for the Valley 3A's to lead the way. Crystal City, Pearsall, Medina Valley, Marion, Hondo, and Carrizo Springs to be contenders.

Sinto in is in a very tight spot....right smack in the middle of everything!!!

Well...best of luck to all the bands! I will be there chearing for Rio Hondo!!! Hopefully we can fix alot of our mistakes and clean up our drill and music for another repeat of the Area Title.

piratebg
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info Cats Fan. I was hoping they'd be playing at or after 3, so it looks like I won't be making it. Good luck Pirates.

Adidas410s
10-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
Area E--Complete List and Prelim Schedule (http://www.uilmusic15.com/band/20062007/area_3a_0607.pdf)

Thats what you guys are looking for....there are ten bands that advance from the prelims to finals. 1 band for every 5 band will advance, so there will be 5 bands advancing. Look for the Valley 3A's to lead the way. Crystal City, Pearsall, Medina Valley, Marion, Hondo, and Carrizo Springs to be contenders.

Sinto in is in a very tight spot....right smack in the middle of everything!!!

Well...best of luck to all the bands! I will be there chearing for Rio Hondo!!! Hopefully we can fix alot of our mistakes and clean up our drill and music for another repeat of the Area Title.

Pearsall and Crystal City have traditionally solid programs. Also, PI has been at state a few times in recent years so watch out for them.

Has Hidalgo been able to regain even a sliver of the success that their program used to have? For a period of about 6 years from 1995-2000, they were arguably one of the best bands in Texas...period. They would compete against, and often beat, the Top 5A programs at BOA and other music competitions. After the "scandal" that rocked their program, I know they had some down years but it's good to see them back at area again.

Cats Fan
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Pearsall and Crystal City have traditionally solid programs. Also, PI has been at state a few times in recent years so watch out for them.

Has Hidalgo been able to regain even a sliver of the success that their program used to have? For a period of about 6 years from 1995-2000, they were arguably one of the best bands in Texas...period. They would compete against, and often beat, the Top 5A programs at BOA and other music competitions. After the "scandal" that rocked their program, I know they had some down years but it's good to see them back at area again.

With out a doubt they are the Areas Dark Horse. In the past three years they've been rebounding. Last year getting their first div. 1 since the "scandal", this year might just be their year. Their not as big or as loud as they used to, but by no means are they any slouches. Hidalgo should very definitely contend for the title.

Blastoderm55
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
I Think Mathis got a 3, Funny thing at the competition when Mathis was on the field ready to perform the announcer called Mathis Sinton

Good grief, how stinking bad do you have to be to get a 3??? THe program hit the skids after my senior class graduated. We had a streak of nearly a decade of 1s in marching and concert broken the following year when Ewing (now at Calallen) left the school and had a band turnout of about 40. Very sad. I remember before Soza got to Mathis and made the team good, people would just go to the games to see the band. Doesn't look to be the case these days. :(

pirate4state
10-24-2006, 10:56 AM
So, the Sinton band will be performing in Calallen this weekend, but probably don't have a shot to advance b/c of the Valley teams? :confused: :thinking:

Blastoderm55
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
That's pretty much it. I think Taft (when it was 3A) and Fal were the only actual local bands that could compete with bands like Hidalgo and Co back in my day. Sinton would need a pretty good show executed to perfection to hang with those guys.

Cats Fan
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
exactly....they need a perfect show in order to hang with some of the bigger boys in this region. Im not saying that Sinton is bad, I havent heard them this year so I do not have the right to say anything about them.

What I can say though, is that this area is loaded with talent. There are only three valley bands that advanced, with all 3 of them being at the state level of comp for the last decade.

Hidalgo is rebuilding their program, and their director is doing very well....they are a dark horse.

PI was 4th in the state last go around, and 11 and 10 the previous year.

Ever since Hidalgos last championship, RH has been very consistent and quite impressive. They've taken back 2 back area championships, they barely missed finals and placed 8th the last go around. This year, is not their best year so far, but you can never count out Rio Hondo. They will be ready to defend their championship.

Plus, adding Pearsall, Crystal City, Carrizo Springs, Medina Valley, Hondo and some others into the mix, and you've got a dogfight for this years title. .....finals should be really exciting to watch.

but like I said before, best of luck to all the bands....you know who I will be chearing for!!!

pirate4state
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't follow the band, but I do watch them at half-time and their program is just a tad too boring for me. I like "up beat" stuff. :D You can hardly hear them and that's probably b/c of the music selection?? Hell, I don't know. All I know is that West Oso had a small, I mean tiny band and they were getting down with the Tempations!! Now, that was a fun show!! :D Our band has always gone with "soft music" or themes. This year it is music from Cirque de Soleil. Too each his own I guess.

GO SINTON BAND!!! My cousin is a drum major so I better be nice! :D