PDA

View Full Version : Former Players! Recount your greatest play

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
For me it was my senior year playing DT for the Chaffey High School Tigers. It was 1963. The Tigers were having a down year. The coach was on the way out. He told us in the Thursday team meeting that he was going to play more guys than he had before. He looked at me and said "Yeah, even you Pudlugger"{not my real name at the time}. We were going to play Riverside Poly high school. They had a pretty good team built around an outstanding athlete. He was a single wing qb named Bobby Bonds. Bonds ran right, he ran left and he ran up the middle. Once in a while he threw the football...about 60 yards or so. He also punted.

It was Riverside 19 Chaffey 13, early in the 4th. The Tigers (Chaffey) held 3 and out on the Poly 40 on 4th and 5. Bonds was back to punt. The OT lined up across me and I looked him in the eye. I knew it was a fake punt. Sure enough the tackle tried to cut me and I jumped over him and found myself alone in the backfield with Bonds bearing down wide to the right. I charged him with all my strength and gave him a huge hit but failed to wrap him up. As I looked up from the turf I will never forget his stride to the endzone. That guy was some athlete.

btw: td called back for clipping. Bonds then punted & we were pinned deep in our own territory and lost 19-13.

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Bobby Bonds as in Barry's dad Bobby Bonds or just some other schmuck that happens to be named Bobby Bonds also?

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Barry Bonds' dad. He passed away at 59 from lung cancer last year. He pitched for the A's.

exbulldog06
10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
My greatest play of my high school football career was Wylie vs. Cuero the score was tied 14-14 with 3 seconds left on the clock and it was up to me to kick the state winning field goal as the coach called the play my heart raced inside my chest, my palms were sweaty, but i knew what i had to do for my school. Before I had time to think about my kick, the ball was snapped, the hold was perfect, and the field goal was astonishing. After the kick I closed my eyes wondering what would happen, as I hear the crowd roar I look up and the score said Wylie 17 - Cuero 14 winning Wylie's first ever state championship.

handNthedirt
10-21-2006, 08:21 PM
too many to recount...but my favorite was probably busting Drew Brees square in the mouth on a naked boot...as soon as his head came around is when I arrived at full speed. knocked him out of the game and he had to have his grill stitched up.

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
He pitched for the A's.

Nope. Bonds dad was an outfielder.

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry, I meant played for the A's Check it out, he played for Riverside Poly 1963 Citrus Belt league CIF. The game was 19-13 at Riverside's home field. The league was comprised of Redlands, Riverside, San Bernadino, Eisenhower; Ramona; Fontana; Colton and Chaffey.

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
My fondest memory as a player.......HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Well I'd have to say beating the second ranked Vernon Lions 17-14 in 1993. It was late in the game and Vernon had the ball with one last chance. It was 4th down and 1 to go from about their 45 yard line. I was playing defensive tackle. Vernon tried to run it up the middle but I was able to squirm through the gap between the guard and tackle and grabbed Willie Cherry's ankle about a yard into the backfield. I held on for all I was worth until help arrived to get him on the ground for the final stop.

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Cool. Great memory GreenMonster.

Underwater Basketweaver
10-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I was playing noseguard my senior year at Olney. We were facing the infamous Collier twins of the Munday Moguls. They pretty much stomped us all night long. Those two cats as the halfbacks in the wishbone with Dawkins at QB. It was a killer for any defense. But on one particular play I remember getting my hands on the center quick and getting a good read on the pitch sweep to Terry Collier, the better runner of the twins. The center is holding me the whole way outside. We strung it outside, and just as we got to the numbers I made up ground as Terry tried to cut it back and I shed the center off my right shoulder and got a clean square hit on Terry and put him on his butt for a 3 yard loss. Didn't mean a thing in the big scheme of things, but I remember it vividly.

thatboiwes
10-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Since I only played football 1 season, well half a season anyways, I don't have a whole lot to think about. But it was scoring a TD on a quick slant from about 40 yards out untouched.

Although this is a football site, my greatest memory came in baseball. We (Gilmer) were playing Jefferson at home and was winning 7-6 with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd in the top of the 7th. I was playing right field and the batter hit it right behind 2nd base into what I like to call the "Bermuda Triangle of Baseball." The only chance I had to catch it was to dive, so I did and caught it in the tip of my glove to end the game. I'll never forget that.

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 02:12 AM
I sacked Ty Detmer in a playoff game in 1985. That's probably my highlight.:cool:

Pudlugger
10-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by exbulldog06
My greatest play of my high school football career was Wylie vs. Cuero the score was tied 14-14 with 3 seconds left on the clock and it was up to me to kick the state winning field goal as the coach called the play my heart raced inside my chest, my palms were sweaty, but i knew what i had to do for my school. Before I had time to think about my kick, the ball was snapped, the hold was perfect, and the field goal was astonishing. After the kick I closed my eyes wondering what would happen, as I hear the crowd roar I look up and the score said Wylie 17 - Cuero 14 winning Wylie's first ever state championship.

I remember that play. I was listening on the radio. I wondered how the kid that kicked the fg must have felt. That was you.

exbulldog06
10-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I remember that play. I was listening on the radio. I wondered how the kid that kicked the fg must have felt. That was you.

yea that was me it was a pretty good feeling its one memory ill never forget. it was also the most nerveous i have ever been but it ended up really good

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Got flipped sideways full 360 and landed on my feet and scored a 60 yard touchdown on a reverse.

Bull19
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
For me it was my senior year playing DT for the Chaffey High School Tigers. It was 1963. The Tigers were having a down year. The coach was on the way out. He told us in the Thursday team meeting that he was going to play more guys than he had before. He looked at me and said "Yeah, even you Pudlugger"{not my real name at the time}. We were going to play Riverside Poly high school. They had a pretty good team built around an outstanding athlete. He was a single wing qb named Bobby Bonds. Bonds ran right, he ran left and he ran up the middle. Once in a while he threw the football...about 60 yards or so. He also punted.

It was Riverside 19 Chaffey 13, early in the 4th. The Tigers (Chaffey) held 3 and out on the Poly 40 on 4th and 5. Bonds was back to punt. The OT lined up across me and I looked him in the eye. I knew it was a fake punt. Sure enough the tackle tried to cut me and I jumped over him and found myself alone in the backfield with Bonds bearing down wide to the right. I charged him with all my strength and gave him a huge hit but failed to wrap him up. As I looked up from the turf I will never forget his stride to the endzone. That guy was some athlete.

btw: td called back for clipping. Bonds then punted & we were pinned deep in our own territory and lost 19-13.

SO PID YOU NEVER EXPERINCED TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL? WHAT A SHAME

NDFootball
10-22-2006, 03:40 PM

good times my friend. How's college goin for ya?

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
My greatest play that never counted was a slip screen that I took for 85 yards for a touchdown but was called back because of an illegal block 30 yards behind the play :(

exbulldog06
10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
good times my friend. How's college goin for ya?

yea it was haha college is pretty good hows everything going for you???

un b weavable
10-22-2006, 04:30 PM

I think this play would have been much more exciting for me to talk about had i blocked the kick. I tried, but since you made the kick, this was probaly the worst play of my career. :(

And im pretty sure there were 4 seconds left, not that it matters. ;)

NDFootball
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
yea it was haha college is pretty good hows everything going for you???

pretty good.

All I know is that game was cold. Especially when standing on the sidelines. Nothing will ever match our first playoff game that year vs. Fort Stockton though. That was the coldest weather I've ever been in.

Old Tiger
10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
One time when I was playing runningback against Notre Dame at ND we completed a long pass with little time remaing and Matt called a QB sneak and I pushed him in and got away with it. That was the greatest play of my career.

3afan
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
One time when I was playing runningback against Notre Dame at ND we completed a long pass with little time remaing and Matt called a QB sneak and I pushed him in and got away with it. That was the greatest play of my career.

then your mom woke you up?

:D

Old Green
10-22-2006, 05:48 PM
One time when I was playing runningback against Notre Dame at ND we completed a long pass with little time remaing and Matt called a QB sneak and I pushed him in and got away with it. That was the greatest play of my career. RUDY !! RUDY !! RUDY!!!:D

Pudlugger
10-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
SO PID YOU NEVER EXPERINCED TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL? WHAT A SHAME

Not personally Bung19, but my son played a little.

Bull19
10-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Not personally Bung19, but my son played a little.

WHERE DID UR SON PLAY?

Pudlugger
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
La Grange 2001-2003 varsity. OL and TE

Bull19
10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
La Grange 2001-2003 varsity. OL and TE

DID HE PLAY BASEBALL?

Pudlugger
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
No, shot put in 2004

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Wylie's first ever state championship.

What year was that? Wylie won state in 1977 over Bellville 22-14, then lost to Sealy 42-20, the next year.

Boosty_Hondo
10-22-2006, 09:31 PM
My greatest play would be last year against peasall i made the key block for out running back and he ran the ball 97 yards for a td and it was gaught on tape by a helicopter flying over

SWMustang
10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
What year was that? Wylie won state in 1977 over Bellville 22-14, then lost to Sealy 42-20, the next year.

I don't think that was Abilene Wylie.

NDFootball
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Wylie's only State Championship came in 2004

NDFootball
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

what a depressing game...:(

SWMustang
10-22-2006, 09:54 PM
maybe you're thinking of this wylie

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/wylie.gif

exbulldog06
10-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by un b weavable
I think this play would have been much more exciting for me to talk about had i blocked the kick. I tried, but since you made the kick, this was probaly the worst play of my career. :(

And im pretty sure there were 4 seconds left, not that it matters. ;)

Were you one of the guys rushing from the outside cause there was a guy from the outside who almost blocked the kick. now that i look back at pictures the kick came really close to being bloacked.

actually to be correct there were 4.6 seconds left :)