PDA

View Full Version : Wharton vs. Sweeny

fireman1
10-21-2006, 10:24 AM
one the most important games in district 24-3A both teams are 4-0 in district who do you think will win?

carter08
10-21-2006, 10:29 AM
It comes down to who is more valuable

Ansley for Wharton
or
Carder for Sweeny

and i have to go with the Tigers on this, because Ansley is the the best player

g$$
10-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Sweeny over Wharton for the district lead, say 24-17.

Ansley is awful good, but don't count Tank Carder out either. Kid is a D1 athlete & difference maker. Plays both ways & kicks/punts. Sweeny is riding high right now & Wharton struggled with Stafford. Should be a good one next Friday.

fireman1
10-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes Wharton struggled against Stafford, but play to their teams for some odd reason they played terrible against Brookshire Royal but played very well against Columbia. Wharton should do alright against Sweeny

Tiger3
10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I agree Fireman1 if Wharton could ever play at a consistent level for a full football game they could cause some damage, but instead they seem to play good for only one half and they play down to the level of their opponents sometimes.

tigerpride_08
10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
it is gonna be a very important game thats for sure...

gato 76
10-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Wharton came from behind in 2 games,columbia,sealy.I think this is the year they but it all together with everybody healthy they will be tough to beat.Im going to take Wharton not only in this game,but they win out to claim the district championship,1st time since 2003 when they beat Rice Cons.

maestro
10-22-2006, 08:52 AM
hats off to wharton!!!

they are currently getting the senior leadership that this team needs.

but sweeny's senior class, as i have typed before, is the best group of players in this district.

and then there is needville.......

some good games for fans to enjoy.

who does columbia and sweeny finish up with??

is sealy done for this season?

carter08
10-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by maestro

is sealy done for this season?

Needville
Sealy
Brookshire

If Columbia wins out, they should be in

IHStangFan
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
If Wharton plays like they did the second half against Columbia, Sweeny may be in trouble.....if they don't, Sweeny could take it easy. So it just depends on which Wharton Tigers team shows up to play. BUT, I'm gonna go w/ my gut...

Wharton 28
Sweeny 21

Antec
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports.shtml

Pudlugger
10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Don't know much about Wharton other than they gave Cuero all they wanted recently in the play offs. The link above gives a good synopsis of the game. It sounds like the Tigers have a balanced offense with weapons in the air and on the ground. Sweeny is another team I should know more about and don't. From what I gather on the board they are really hot now and are favored to win. I'll be very interested in this game as, hopefully, the Leps will meet one of these teams in round one.:)

wedo
10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Don't know much about Wharton other than they gave Cuero all they wanted recently in the play offs. The link above gives a good synopsis of the game. It sounds like the Tigers have a balanced offense with weapons in the air and on the ground. Sweeny is another team I should know more about and don't. From what I gather on the board they are really hot now and are favored to win. I'll be very interested in this game as, hopefully, the Leps will meet one of these teams in round one.:)

The last time Wharton played Cuero in the playoffs they didn't just give them al they wanted they won!! I was on that team in 2003!!!! Wharton 32 Cuero 29 Best damn game to ever be apart of!!

wedo
10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
In 24 3a who will most likely play who in the first round of the playoffs???

g$$
10-23-2006, 01:51 PM
After Wharton, Sweeny finishes with Columbus & Royal. Obviously this week is huge. A win over Wharton & it should be lights out.

Now in Region 3:
District 24-3A should play 23-3A w/ Giddings, Bellville, etc. Navasota & Bellville are the 2 largest in that district for D1 purposes. Columbia & Needville are the 2 biggest in 24-3A.

g$$
10-23-2006, 02:02 PM
On Sweeny, they lost their QB to shoulder injury the 1st game. Lost 1st 2 games very close & then started getting healthy, got QB back, changed some postions, etc. Have not lost since.

Really good size & pretty good speed. Very methodical & well-coached. Tank Carder #14 is their best player, quite an athlete all over the field. Good RB Brandon Smith, QB Marsh Zajicek is very steady, big OL led by Colby Lowrie, FB/DE Josh Fields & Paul Brunner are other playmakers. Defense has played very well the past few weeks. Should be a good game.

#9wharton tiger
10-23-2006, 02:28 PM
BIG GAME THIS WEEK. SHOULD BE THE GAME OF THE WEEK

Tiger3
10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
This should be a great game and will probably decide who wins the district championship. Wharton's defense is going to have to play better than they did against Stafford to beat Sweeny.

JT44
10-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Nice to see Wharton back in the mix, should be a great game. I was impressed with Ansley last year and he's only gotten better. I thought wharton would have a let down at the qb position after losing trey jones but ansley has made a lot of people believers. sweeny will be tough and the tank carder kid is awesome. he does it all for them and really put a stick on a cuero kid last year when he was running the ball.

wedo
10-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
After Wharton, Sweeny finishes with Columbus & Royal. Obviously this week is huge. A win over Wharton & it should be lights out.

Now in Region 3:
District 24-3A should play 23-3A w/ Giddings, Bellville, etc. Navasota & Bellville are the 2 largest in that district for D1 purposes. Columbia & Needville are the 2 biggest in 24-3A.

does anyone know what bellville is ranked??

tigerpride_08
10-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
On Sweeny, they lost their QB to shoulder injury the 1st game. Lost 1st 2 games very close & then started getting healthy, got QB back, changed some postions, etc. Have not lost since.

Really good size & pretty good speed. Very methodical & well-coached. Tank Carder #14 is their best player, quite an athlete all over the field. Good RB Brandon Smith, QB Marsh Zajicek is very steady, big OL led by Colby Lowrie, FB/DE Josh Fields & Paul Brunner are other playmakers. Defense has played very well the past few weeks. Should be a good game.

they might have a great athlete, but its all about the team who surrounds him...us tigers have a great team to go around Ansley...

Tiger3
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with Tigerpride, Wharton also has Jamail Shelton(30 catches/400+ yards in basically 5 games) who is one of the Best Recievers in the Area along with many other great players in Donalton Hayes and Chris Owens two big physical defensive/offensive lineman, DB Phynon(3 int.) has emeged as a solid defensive back and should be used more as a reciever(came up big as a reciever when Shelton was out against Columbia), LB Thomas Garcia who has been solid at middle LB, also RB Tristan Washington who seemed to come alive against Stafford(10 carries/106 yards) and hopefully he can keep that going.

fireman1
10-23-2006, 09:21 PM
well if Wharton plays the full 48 min required to play a Highschool football game instead of the usual 24 min that they play for some reason this game will go in favor of the tigers, but if not I have to say the Bulldogs will walk away with the game

Uncle Buck
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I guess that says it all.

g$$
10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I never said Sweeny was a 1 man show. Yes, Carder is the real deal, but they play team ball & play hard for 48 minutes. Coach Z has them rolling again in Sweeny. Congrats to him & his staff for reviving the program.

Who will win? That's why you play the game. But I take Sweeny in a close one, 24-17 Final. Sweeny is very methodical & you have to beat them. See what happens...

fireman1
10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I am still going with Wharton by 12 they have the team to play with the best when they actually play

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
If Wharton's defense plays good, I think Wharton will win this game by 7 or more. If not I think it will be a very close game. Hopefully Wharton can pull it off and take the district lead.

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
How is Sweeny's passing attack? I know they run the ball pretty good with Smith and Carder, but I was wondering if they pass it as well?

g$$
10-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Pretty balanced but favor the running game. QB Zajicek is coach's son & steady with the ball. Still not 100% after injury.

Defense has played very well the past few weeks.

Special teams can be a weapon when Tank Carder is on (All State last year). Kid has a big leg punting & kicking. He sealed the game last year over Wharton with a FG in the 4th quarter. I've seen him make a 48 yarder in a game & was told 55 in practice.

Should be a great game. Winner is in the driver's seat.

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree I think that the winner of this game wins the District.

tigerpride_08
10-24-2006, 06:53 PM
all this talk i can't believe its not the game of the week...

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Tigerpride_08 are yall gonna be ready for Sweeny?

wedo
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Tiger3
I agree I think that the winner of this game wins the District.

This is Wharton's toughest test so far without a doubt!!! Wharton deffense is a bit undersized but plays big and they are pretty quick!! Sweeny is going to come out and pound it IMO!! If wharton pulls it out or not which i hope they do, they just need to come out this game healthy, they still have to play Needville and they are no pushover!! And most likely play Giddings or La Grange who both have good team with lots of tradition!! All i have to say to the Tigers on this board is that it is good to be confident but don't be overconfident!! B/C Sweeny will be ready to play this week!!!

carter08
10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
all this talk i can't believe its not the game of the week...

Because its the 2nd and 3rd Best teams in the district playoing. If the best team, Columbia, was playing, it would be GOTW :D

tigerpride_08
10-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Because its the 2nd and 3rd Best teams in the district playoing. If the best team, Columbia, was playing, it would be GOTW :D

yes we are getting ready for this big game...and if columbia is the best team, why aren't they in the first place game this week :D

carter08
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
yes we are getting ready for this big game...and if columbia is the best team, why aren't they in the first place game this week :D

Injuries :(

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree, it is one of the toughest tests so far, but remember that Wharton played a pretty tough non district schedule(4A El Campo and 4A Barbers Hill) to get ready for district and by the way Columbia was no pushover. I have been using a lot of "ifs" because Wharton will have to play a great game to come away with the victory!!!

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
What injuries did yall have against Wharton and Sweeny?

tigerpride_08
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Injuries :(

ya'll looked pretty healthy to me...:thinking:

carter08
10-24-2006, 07:08 PM
ya'll looked pretty healthy to me...:thinking:

Sorry.
Injuries were Pre District

Sweeney- Electrical Problems
Wharton- Joel Ansley

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey Carter08 Good Luck against Needville and I hope yall pull out the victory.

wedo
10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
I agree, it is one of the toughest tests so far, but remember that Wharton played a pretty tough non district schedule(4A El Campo and 4A Barbers Hill) to get ready for district and by the way Columbia was no pushover. I have been using a lot of "ifs" because Wharton will have to play a great game to come away with the victory!!!

Barbers Hill just moved to 4a this year so its not they are power house 4a! Wharton should have beaten El Campo they are way overrated IMO they are going to get Slaughter here in few week by Lamar Cons. Im not trying to sound negative in anyway believe me!! Im just saying!! I don't want yall to be overconfident!! Sweeny's schedule was no cake walk either!!

This game is almost as big as Whaton vs. Rice Cons. in 03!! Hope its the same result!!!

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
I agree the players need to be confident but not cocky, hopefully that is the way they will approach the game. I believe this will be a hard fought ball game that will be decided in the fourth quarter. As for El Campo they are a well coached football team but I agree that they will have no chance against Lamar Consilidated.

fireman1
10-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Sweeny's schedule was no cake walk either!!

Sweeny's Pre-District Oppenents
Lost- Santa Fe- 4A who lost to Needville
Lost- Brazosport- Sep. 15 4A
Won- Van Vleck- 2A who is 0-7 this season

Wharton's Pre-District Oppentnts
Lost- Barbers Hill- 4A and 7-0
Won- Brazosport- Sep. 8 4A
Lost- El Campo- 4A and 6-1

Now when it comes to non-district schedules which team had the harder one

Tiger3
10-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Good Point Fireman1, plus El Campo and Barbers Hill are both ranked fairly good in 4A.

Antec
10-25-2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports.shtml

nexfan
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I really cant say too much for the Dub right now...they kinda confuse me!! Beat Stafford 62-0 and then lose to Wharton. Wharton beats Stafford 42-29! How did Stafford score 29 on Wharton. Columbia beats Brazosport and Sweeny loses to B-port... How did that happen? Brazosport is pretty bad!! The only 2 games I havent seen West Columbia play this year was the Sweeny and Wharton games so I have no real insight on either team, but with that being said I'd say Sweeny is the hotter team right now so I'm going with the bulldogs and when I was in high school their girls were much hotter!! Who does the Bulldog and Tiger fans think is going to win the Columbia vs. Needville game? I think whoever wins that will be the 3 seed so its a rather important contest!!

Tiger3
10-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I think Columbia finally comes out and plays a good game against a good team and pulls off the win. I just do not see Columbia losing 3 games in district play.

awizzy
10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by nexfan
I really cant say too much for the Dub right now...they kinda confuse me!! Beat Stafford 62-0 and then lose to Wharton. Wharton beats Stafford 42-29! How did Stafford score 29 on Wharton. Columbia beats Brazosport and Sweeny loses to B-port... How did that happen? Brazosport is pretty bad!! The only 2 games I havent seen West Columbia play this year was the Sweeny and Wharton games so I have no real insight on either team, but with that being said I'd say Sweeny is the hotter team right now so I'm going with the bulldogs and when I was in high school their girls were much hotter!! Who does the Bulldog and Tiger fans think is going to win the Columbia vs. Needville game? I think whoever wins that will be the 3 seed so its a rather important contest!!

girls are hotter in sweeny so u pick them..if thats the case then the dub is in trouble bc needville wins the district in the hottest girl contest

nexfan
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Needville's girls ride their barrel racing horses to school. They might look okay but I cant pronounce any of their last names!!!

Tiger3
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Rodeo girls are HOT and Needville does have a lot of them.

nexfan
10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
The only rodeo girls that are truly hot were the ones I saw at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo at the Jessica Simpson concert. Its pretty rare when you can say, " You see that girl showing the heiffer over there... man she is smoking" or "that girl that can steer wrestle kinda looks like Beyonce"!! Thats all I got.

Tiger3
10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Im talking more about country girls I guess and maybe the barrell racers.

awizzy
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Im talking more about country girls I guess and maybe the barrell racers.
i am talking about all of them...blonde tall...ohhh boy

nexfan
10-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll take country girls over city girls any day of the week!!

awizzy
10-25-2006, 01:07 PM
well back to football...i think wharton is the better team here...and columbia should win also

fireman1
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
well I have to say Wharton by 12 but it is going to be a hard fought game from start to finish, and I think Columbia will get it together and come away with a win Columbia by 3

g$$
10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
On the schedules of both teams, remember Sweeny's QB was injured early in the 1st ballgame. He returned in the 3rd game vs. Van Vleck. Injuries are part of the game I realize, but that is a tough blow right out of the gate. Since then things have stabilized, other changes have been made, & they have not lost since. Plus, none of that matters now anyway.

I think WC rises up & beats Needville this week. Both teams have really good RBs. If WC avoids turnovers, I'll go with the Necks in a close one.

On the subject of girls, I have been out of school way too long to comment. But the grass always seems greener elsewhere. That is a fact of life. Good luck to everybody.

whtfbplaya
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
On the schedules of both teams, remember Sweeny's QB was injured early in the 1st ballgame. He returned in the 3rd game vs. Van Vleck. Injuries are part of the game I realize, but that is a tough blow right out of the gate. Since then things have stabilized, other changes have been made, & they have not lost since. Plus, none of that matters now anyway.

I think WC rises up & beats Needville this week. Both teams have really good RBs. If WC avoids turnovers, I'll go with the Necks in a close one.

On the subject of girls, I have been out of school way too long to comment. But the grass always seems greener elsewhere. That is a fact of life. Good luck to everybody.

It has to look greener when you are looking at dirt.:D

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Huh? Dirt?

I was referring to whether you're in high school, college, married, this town, that town, etc. You always think it's better elsewhere when in reality it's probably not.

I know when I lived in Sweeny, guys from Lake Jackson & around would come & try to date our locals. Of course, we did the same too. It may have more to do with knowing people too well having grown up together & hoping for a clean slate!

fireman1
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It may have more to do with knowing people too well having grown up together & hoping for a clean slate!

yeah that plays a role in this situation

g$$
10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Back to football...

Tell me about Wharton's defense?

tigerpride_08
10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
in the newspaper today wharton is picked to win by 2...:thinking:

fireman1
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
this game is going to be a good one which ever team gives up first is the team that will end up 4-1 Friday night

wedo
10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Back to football...

Tell me about Wharton's defense?

A lil bit undersized but They are real quick and its hard to get around them!! They may look small but play big and play hard!!Coach Cooper the d-cordinator has done an excellent job this year!!

fireman1
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by wedo
A lil bit undersized but They are real quick and its hard to get around them!!

TRUE simple as that

g$$
10-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by fireman1
this game is going to be a good one which ever team gives up first is the team that will end up 4-1 Friday night

Wow, I was thinking it might have something to do with the better team winning, turnovers, stuff like that. "Give up" never crossed my mind when I played or watch games now.

Sweeny has a pretty big O-line. Sounds like a good match-up. This should be a slobber-knocker Friday night with the district title, more than likely, on the line. Thanks & good luck to all.

fireman1
10-26-2006, 07:49 AM
none of these two teams are going to give up that is whats going to make it a fun game to watch. these two teams are a good match-up and with the district title on the line gives it all the excitement

pancho villa
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm going with Sweeny in this one because they have.

wedo
10-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Who?

Tiger3
10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
What?

fireman1
10-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Because they have what Pancho i think you left off a little something at the end

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:07 PM

...the fight to not "give up". Fireman still has me puzzled on that one regarding the big game.

Good luck Pancho - y'all win out & get healthy!

Tiger3
10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Fireman what is G$$ talking about? Why do you have him puzzled?

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by fireman1

That puzzled me!

Who worth their salt ever "Gives Up" or even thinks about it?

Should be a good ballgame & hard fought.

Tiger3
10-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Ya I dont see either team giving up in this one considering it will probably determine the district champion!!!

g$$
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Agreed.

I was not trying to start anything, but that just baffled me. Maybe he meant to use different words. That is equivalent to calling someone a quitter - & neither team will be doing that.

May the best team win on a great Friday night for football once this cold front gets here! It will feel like football finally.

Uncle Buck
10-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Should be a great Game. Could go either way. One of the Districts top offenses vs one of the Districts best defenses.

Thats why we do what we do...........Its to take part in Games like this.

tigerpride_08
10-27-2006, 08:06 AM
game night and i can't wait...

fireman1
10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
do yall think its going to be a defensive game or offensive?

raider red 2000
10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
hopefully.

a great night offensively and defensively for the TIGERS.

:D

Tiger3
10-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree hopefully the tigers come out and play a great ball game on both sides of the ball and come away with a "W" against a good Sweeny Team!!!