PDA

View Full Version : Guys, be in prayer for me....

AggieJohn
10-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm taking my Early Childhood through 4th grade TEXES Certification test today at 2:00 up at the university. This is one of two tests that I have to take in order to be certified to teach and I haven't had the time between my other 15 hours of class, Football, and being married, to put in the proper amount of studying. Talking to some of my classmates who took it a few weeks ago, if you get a 60 your scale score will be high enough that you pass the test. I took a practice last night and made a 51! I freaked and got up this morning to study and took another test and scored a 69, which is much better and makes me feel a bit better. I'm going to continue studying till I get to the test site, but I could use your prayers.

You might also be saying "Why is 60% a passing grade for this test?". Well alot of things on this test are very subjective. Teaching is not an exact science, however this test wants you to answer questions as if you were teaching in "perfect-ville." That's hard for most teachers-to-be because we know the real world.

Be praying for me! Thanks 3adl.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-21-2006, 10:19 AM
good luck but it looks like u have it under control now.:)

jason
10-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
4th grade TEXES Certification :doh: :doh: i hope you don't teach geography.... :D

Ranger Mom
10-21-2006, 10:21 AM
My thoughts are prayers are with you John.....

...and a little "mom" advice....."stay away from the downlow when you have a test that big to study for"!!:) :)

AggieJohn
10-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jason
:doh: :doh: i hope you don't teach geography.... :D Smarty Pants (http://texes.ets.org/)

AggieJohn
10-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My thoughts are prayers are with you John.....

...and a little "mom" advice....."stay away from the downlow when you have a test that big to study for"!!:) :) well right now is my study break, i've been up since 7.15 studying for this test

jason
10-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Smarty Pants (http://texes.ets.org/) :doh: :doh:

TAMUGRAD
10-21-2006, 10:45 AM
I took the 4th - 8th TEXES last year. I read the first page of questions and became very worried. I closed the book took some deep breaths, said a prayer, and began again.

I worked from front to back in order. (History, Science, Language Arts, then Math) I was afraid I would skip a question if I took it out of order. It was probably not the best strategy for me at the time. I should have gone to a subject area that I felt more confident about and started there. (Math or Language Arts)

Just remember your in TEXES Land and everything is perfect.
Read the questions slowly and more than once. Make sure you know what they are asking for underline or circle important aspects of the question. (age of student, developmental stage of the student, teachers objective, etc...) Sounds like dumb advice, but the questions are so wordy you can lose track of what they are asking you. Also, make sure you are comfortably dressed, have all your necessary documents, and arrive early so you are not stressed about time.

Yes, I passed, but I did not feel that I had when I left the exam. I felt very drained. Did not want to go online and check results. I sat in front of the screen for a long time before I read the results.

Good luck to you from a fellow Aggie. (Class of 1987) I will be praying for you. PM and let me know how you did.

TAMUGRAD
10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
EC - 4th: more theory than content, make sure you are very familiar with all the various educational theories, and developmental stages.

Maroon87
10-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Good luck AJ!:cool:

AggieJohn
10-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Good Advice TAMUGRAD

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Good luck, AJ.

And I'm declaring a DL moratorium for you for the next 3 hrs. :D ;)

Ranger Mom
10-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Good luck, AJ.

And I'm declaring a DL moratorium for you for the next 3 hrs. :D ;)

Hehe!! More "mom" advice!!:D

Da Mules
10-21-2006, 11:43 AM
sigh.....those strict moms...

as we speak, surely AJ is passing with honors... except for spelling;)

Phil C
10-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Prayers from Sinton AJ.

big daddy russ
10-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Amanda's taking that test today, too, AJ. Good luck.

99IHSMustang
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Good Luck AJ... Don't worry you will do fine.

AggieJohn
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Alright guys, i'm off to go to the school, gonna give em hell!!!!!!!!!

Or let them tell how much I suck.

Whatever.

oldcrow
10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok people TEXES is the correct spelling. It is the name of the test for teacher certification in the state of TEXAS. Get off the guy on geography and spelling. Not wise to make fun of someone if you aren't familiar with the topic.

jason
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by oldcrow
Ok people TEXES is the correct spelling. It is the name of the test for teacher certification in the state of TEXAS. Get off the guy on geography and spelling. Not wise to make fun of someone if you aren't familiar with the topic. im allowed to make fun of him :hand:

how'd the test go aj ??

BlueBlood
10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jason
im allowed to make fun of him :hand:

and his home town.