PDA

View Full Version : Schulenburg 24 Rice 6

Bull's-eye
10-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Rice the #4 team in 2A was defeated by Schulenburg 24-6. Schulenburg has some great size and can create many problems for their opponents. They have a 6'6" 240 lb receiver and a 6'5" 225 lb TE that are very difficult to cover. Schulenburg came out with an onside kick recovery to start the game. They scored early and never trailed in this game. I was very impressed with their coaching, they did a great job against a very talented Rice team. Schulenburg was not even ranked, but this win should get them some recognition. They now sport a 7-0 record.

gobbler grad
10-21-2006, 12:38 AM
never saw this coming...the Shorthorns must have some real talent ...ex-Cuero coach over there now...got them kids playing some ball...

RiceRaider
10-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Well......I really wouldn't say the Shorthorns have alot of talent. They really didn't do much except do what they had been coached to do. They recovered the onside kick. Pounded the ball for 3 yards a pop, then to top it off threw a play action pass to #88 6'6 tall. Then once they got the lead they pounded for 3 yards a pop. All they did was make the best of the opprotunities given to them. The bottom line is Rice made mistakes and couldn't make up for them. I just hope that.......this loss gets in their heads and they remember what it feels like so that they know they never want to feel it again. I really was a great game. Really defensive. I'm sure on the stats sheet. S-Town had the Time Of Possesion game won by twice as muc has Rice which is what wins football games. If you got the ball and the other team can't get it your going to win. But, Good Luck Raiders! Lets get back on track and kick some butt.

Bull's-eye
10-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by RiceRaider
They really didn't do much except do what they had been coached to do. They recovered the onside kick. Pounded the ball for 3 yards a pop, then to top it off threw a play action pass to #88 6'6 tall. Then once they got the lead they pounded for 3 yards a pop. All they did was make the best of the opprotunities given to them.

As I said before, they were very well coached. Those opportunities weren't given to them, but created by some very good game planning. The defense did a good job of disguising their coverages and forced Rice to throw those interceptions. Schulenburg held Rice to 199 total yards of offense and only 10 first downs. Rice was only 8-26 for 95 yds passing with 3 interceptions.

I went to this game as an impartial football fan, this was the best game in my area. In all honesty, Schulenburg's coaching did a number on the Raider's coaching staff. They came up with a game plan and the players went out and executed exactly as instructed. Schulenburg made 1 mistake, they were called for 12 men on the field. Rice was punting on 4th down and would of never even scored if not for that penalty.

Bull's-eye
10-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
...ex-Cuero coach over there now...got them kids playing some ball...

They are doing a great job, father and son. :clap:

scotty
10-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Isn't it funny how offenses have changed in the past few years with the spread and one-back offenses. But if you can play defense, smash-mouth football, and a well timed pass, will win football games. It appears that Coach Finley and his staff proved that. It also appears as though the father is grooming his son, who was a great player at both Cuero and Nebraska, into another fine coach. Pop was looking for the small-town flavor after retiring, found it in Schulenburg, and the Shorthorn fans are enjoying the results. I visited with him before an earlier game this year and he seems real comfortable and at ease. I wish both the Raiders and Shorthorns well.

Bull19
10-21-2006, 09:40 AM
IT MIGHT JUST BE , BUT DOESNT IT ALWAYS SEEM LIKE RICE HAS A GOOD TEAM EVERY YEAR THEN THEY FIND SOMEWAY TO LOSE A GAME TO A TEAM THAT THEY SHOULD'VE BEAT

gobbler grad
10-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
IT MIGHT JUST BE , BUT DOESNT IT ALWAYS SEEM LIKE RICE HAS A GOOD TEAM EVERY YEAR THEN THEY FIND SOMEWAY TO LOSE A GAME TO A TEAM THAT THEY SHOULD'VE BEAT

yeah, like last year against Hutto...:thinking:

Bull's-eye
10-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by scotty
Isn't it funny how offenses have changed in the past few years with the spread and one-back offenses. But if you can play defense, smash-mouth football, and a well timed pass, will win football games.

Nothing fancy or flashy and maybe just too "blue collar" for today's fan, but very effective. Another word is discipline, Shorthorns were very disciplined and played better as a team. Individually Rice has more talent, but that doesn't always win you the game.

scotty
10-21-2006, 03:13 PM
I tend to agree with Bull 19 in his earlier post. With all of their talent and success the past several season the Raiders have never had an outright district championship nor a perfect season. However, when you look back at the teams they lost that one game to were pretty good Sealy, Wharton, Bellville and now Schulenburg. It isn't easy to have a perfect season. But they have had a great run of talented athletes.