PDA

View Full Version : Sinton-West Oso

SintonFan
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Last I heard it was 35-21 Sinton with under 3 minutes to play in the game.

maroonpirate04
10-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Yep Sinton came out a winner in this game Congrats Pirates!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

99IHSMustang
10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Congradulations Pirates!

Vrabird
10-20-2006, 11:19 PM
The offense finally looked like a team most of the game. The line blocked and the backs ran tough and with a purpose. I still didn't understand that first touchdown that Oso scored. West Oso punted the ball, but the ball evidently didn't cross the line of scrimmage. West Oso picked the ball up and advanced it for a touchdown, about 35 yards. The punting team normally cannot advance the ball. Sinton players were coming off the field and didn't realize what was happening. I have never seen this before!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
if the ball that is punted doesnt go past the line of scrimmage the punting team can pick it up and run with it. Calallen poster said it happen to them against Kingsville before so he knows the rule now.:)

The Kracken
10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
ive never heard of this before either

SintonFan_inAustin
10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
nobody knew this but the punter and the West Oso coaches and they told him to pick it up and run.

Vrabird
10-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Learn something everyday. This 3A downlow is a very informative place to be.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
i think he ran it in for 60+ yds? lol cant remember i was so mad on what had just happen and i wasnt getting no internet connection from my pocketpc:mad:

SintonFan
10-20-2006, 11:53 PM
SWEET!!!!
Good win Pirates and maybe this the start of a string of wins?:thinking: :clap: :clap: :)

pirate4state
10-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Vrabird
The offense finally looked like a team most of the game. The line blocked and the backs ran tough and with a purpose. I still didn't understand that first touchdown that Oso scored. West Oso punted the ball, but the ball evidently didn't cross the line of scrimmage. West Oso picked the ball up and advanced it for a touchdown, about 35 yards. The punting team normally cannot advance the ball. Sinton players were coming off the field and didn't realize what was happening. I have never seen this before!!! :clap: :clap: About the O-line (that never gets much credit and who I have been critical of ;) ) they did a MUCH better job tonight and very impressive considering all the moves that were made and how young they are!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice win Pirates!! :clap:

Next up Mathis!!! What is up with the projected to finish dead last Mathis Pirates!! Hung 36 on Ingleside. :thinking: Should be a good game against those other Pirates!! :D

pirate4state
10-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Sinton muscles past district foe West Oso
By GEORGE VONDRACEK Caller-Times
October 21, 2006

SINTON - For six years, no team participating in the same football district with Sinton High School posted a victory over the Pirates until last week's loss at Orange Grove.

Losing didn't - and doesn't - sit well with the Pirates. Ask West Oso's Bears.

Weathering through a struggle this season, the Pirates roared out of the locker room Friday night and limited the Bears to 17 third-quarter yards and scored a 35-21 District 30-3A win at Pirate Stadium, totaling 464 yards in the process.

"They don't like losing. No games," said Sinton coach Jimmie Mitchell, whose Pirates improved to 1-1 in district and 2-5 for the season. "We've had some bad luck. Hopefully we got that monkey off our back tonight."

As well as starting a new streak, Sinton ensured it didn't place itself in an awkward position trying for a postseason berth.

"We all knew what it'd be if we lost this game," said senior Sinton linebacker Ryan Ueckert, who helped key the second-half defensive surge. "It was all about this team. If we lost, we knew district was done. We stepped it up."

The Bears, meanwhile, slipped to 0-2 and 3-4. Though they benefited from an odd, first-quarter touchdown in which punter David Castillo scored on a 43-yard run after his kick failed to reach the line of scrimmage, the Bears went into hibernation in the second half.

"We've had a hard time all year putting four quarters together," said Oso coach Mark Guess, whose Bears are in that precarious position with two 30-3A losses. "There's just no other way to put it. We played four quarters against San Diego and that's probably the only game we did that. Other than that we get two and a half, three and half quarters."

Sinton scored twice in the third quarter to silence Oso, both on scoring runs from Zach Collins. Collins (84), quarterback Wes Ring (99) and running back Nick Harris (104) combined for 287 of Sinton's 347 rushing yards.

The Bears ran only eight plays from scrimmage in the third quarter against the injury-riddled Pirates, who have lost 12 starters to injury.

"I was really proud of them. They hadn't had much luck," Mitchell said. "You kind of get the feeling you're snakebit after a while."

Oso managed 88 second-half yards, 75 coming on the Bears' lone scoring drive of the second half that culminated with P.J. Lopez's 10-yard pass to Andrew Leon. By then, only 6 minutes, 37 seconds remained.

"We are a young football team. Any team that comes into Sinton has got to be ready to play," Guess said. "They may be 1-5 but they're better than that."

The Bears' lone turnover of the half led to Sinton's 22-14 halftime lead.

Ueckert forced a fumble of Lopez after a 10-yard sack and Cody Espinoza recovered at the Bears' 43. Ring passed 14 yards to Mark Goyet, two plays later the Bears were penalized for pass interference, moving the ball to the Oso 13. Two plays later, Ring scored on a 5-yard keeper. An Oso offsides penalty on Matt Villarreal's point-after kick moved the ball to the 1, and Harris scored the 2-point conversion on a toss to the left side with 28 seconds remaining in the half.

But the first half featured a play not likely seen by many, and likely won't be seen very often - if at all - in the future. With the Bears' drive with the opening kickoff stalled at the Sinton 41, Castillo lined up in punt formation. His boot was poor, landing at around the Pirates' 45. But since the punt hadn't crossed the line of scrimmage, it was a live ball. Castillo scooped the ball at the 43 and raced untouched for the score to the amazement and anger of the Pirates.

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING - WO, Shedrick Howard 8-42, Eugene Edwards 7-(minus-2), Lopez 11-79, D. Castillo 1-43, Jerald Lewis 2-0. Sinton, W. Ring 13-99, Josh Ring 5-8, Zach Collins 15-84, Villarreal 6-16, Aranda 5-36, Harris 5-104.

PASSING - WO, Lopez 5-12-0-73, Lewis 0-1-0-0. Sinton, W. Ring 7-9-2-117.

RECEIVING - WO, D. Castillo 2-38, Edwards 2-29, Leon 1-10, Lewis 1-6. Sinton, Trent Hesseltine 2-16, Villarreal 1-6, Aranda 1-13, Mark Goyet 1-14, Jacob Guajardo 2-58.

Contact George Vondracek at 886-3731

or vondracekg@ caller.com

link (http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_football/article/0,1641,CCCT_11856_5083985,00.html)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
[b]Sinton muscles past district foe West Oso
By GEORGE VONDRACEK Caller-Times
October 21, 2006

SINTON -

The Bears ran only eight plays from scrimmage in the third quarter against the injury-riddled Pirates, who have lost 12 starters to injury.

"I was really proud of them. They hadn't had much luck," Mitchell said. "You kind of get the feeling you're snakebit after a while."

"We are a young football team. Any team that comes into Sinton has got to be ready to play," Guess said. "They may be 1-5 but they're better than that."

But the first half featured a play not likely seen by many, and likely won't be seen very often - if at all - in the future. With the Bears' drive with the opening kickoff stalled at the Sinton 41, Castillo lined up in punt formation. His boot was poor, landing at around the Pirates' 45. But since the punt hadn't crossed the line of scrimmage, it was a live ball. Castillo scooped the ball at the 43 and raced untouched for the score to the amazement and anger of the Pirates.

Defense has lost alot of starters and some of the replacements are getting some good game experience. And wow the offensive line pick it up in the 3rd Qrt, they just might have figured out how to dominate the other linemans of the opposing team.

piratebg
10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I know I'm a little late on this, but congrats Pirates. While I couldn't be phyically in the stadium, I was watching from across the street at the laundry mat. I kind have neglected it for a while and let it build up a little, so the misses kind of put her foot down. :D

Anyways, glad to see the team finally start to come together.