PDA

View Full Version : Watching Your Kid Play

Pudlugger
10-20-2006, 08:55 AM
When I was a kid and played football my mom would make the home games. My dad had his own business, a photography studio, and he never felt that he could get away. He was working as hard as he could to put food on the table and keep the creditors away. Later when I finally made varsity in my senior year he could come to the Friday night games. This was in 1963. It always meant a lot to me. He passed at 90 last December.

My youngest son was interested in sports. When he was little he played Optimist Club basketball, soccer and even little league for a couple of years. The summer before the start of 7th grade he told me he wanted to play football. I had not encouraged he or his older brother to play as I didn't want to pressure them. I was delighted of course and took him out to
a pasture behind our house and taught him the correct three point stance of an offensive lineman.

He started growing an inch a month it seemed back then. He played all through junior high, high school, and a couple of years in college. He played guard, tackle, center and TE. He was unanamous 1st team all district tackle D24 2003, second team All Tri-County (Fayette, Austin, Colorado), and second team Academic All-State.

I was a busy practicing physician, but in all those years I only missed two of his games: an optimist basketball game when he was 9 and a 7th grade away football game with Elgin when he was 12. I was not living through my kids like some posters have accused others on this board, I was living with my kids. Those memories are most precious.

What feelings about this do 3A Downlow parents have to say about their experiences? I'd would like to hear from them.

eagles_victory
10-20-2006, 09:02 AM
i am at all my kids games contest whatever it may be. If Sebastion is in a checkers tournament or a watermelon eating contest im there. So esp. when its football and basketball im not going to miss it.

coach
10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i am at all my kids games contest whatever it may be. If Sebastion is in a checkers tournament or a watermelon eating contest im there. So esp. when its football and basketball im not going to miss it.

sebastion? i dont think chel likes that name

eagles_victory
10-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by coach
sebastion? i dont think chel likes that name she picked braylynn i think thats how u special it.

Adidas410s
10-20-2006, 09:11 AM

You already have grown kids at 18? :thinking:

coach
10-20-2006, 09:15 AM
she picked braylynn i think thats how u special it.

well at least u dont spell all your kids with a "k"

eagles_victory
10-20-2006, 09:16 AM
well at least u dont spell all your kids with a "k" i dont think it might be braylin lol im hungry but i dont want to leave its too cold.

coach
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
i dont think it might be braylin lol im hungry but i dont want to leave its too cold.

i wish i didnt have to take this test and yes its very cold especially when all your jeans are in ff

eagles_victory
10-20-2006, 09:19 AM
i wish i didnt have to take this test and yes its very cold especially when all your jeans are in ff i dont have any thing non short sleeve. its like antartica out there. my test was kinda hard hurry up im ready to leave to the friendly warmer combines of fairfield

raider red 2000
10-20-2006, 09:20 AM
i dont have any kids.

but i remember my dad always going to my games. we always played together. he was the best supporter of athletics that I was ever around.

when i was little there was always competition. it was always my older sister and I against my little bro and my dad.

weather we were playing fooseball of soccer or wiffle ball it was competition.

my dad drove to my games, and when my little brother was in HS. may dad would make sure that he has at all of his games.

my dad flew from austin to amarillo twice for JV football games. and we drove from lubbock to el paso to watch a game....man that was a haul.

now days my dad calls every sat morning to see how we did. thankfully the last few saturdays have been better than the first few.

anyways....i love to see parents that support the kids and the team.

coach
10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
i dont have any thing non short sleeve. its like antartica out there. my test was kinda hard hurry up im ready to leave to the friendly warmer combines of fairfield

lee i cant make time go by faster and at 1030 ill meet you at your car so i can drop off my crap

44INAROW
10-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I think the world would be a better place if we had more examples like you Pud :) We've enjoyed watching all 3 of our boys play/participate all through high school and the youngest will graduate this year. We go to his football games, baseball games and golf tournaments and are proud to be his parents. I just hope that when he turns around and sees us we are behaving in a manner than he is proud to say we are his parents. I have discovered that yelling GO MEAN GREEN at the Regional golf tournament is not a good idea :D

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
When I was a kid, I was always jealous of my younger brothers because they got to go with our dad to two-a-days....and I got to help our mom wash uniforms. lol

When my oldest was a 6th grader and trying to choose between staying in band or being in athletics, I left it up to him. He wasn't certain that he wanted to play football, but we made a "deal". If he was in athletics, he would be in a sport each season at least during Junior High years, then he could choose. If he chose to remain in band, then practicing etc was just as important. It didn't matter to me what his choice was, as long as he did his best every single day. As it turned out, he absolutely LOVED football.

I don't remember missing any of his football games. If I did, it wasn't more than 1 or 2 the six years he played. I made most of his basketball games the two years he played, and most of his track meets, until he "banned" me his senior year. (I made him subconsciously nervous, even if he didn't see me. :( ) I rejoiced with he and his teammates during their 2002 Senior season, 9-0 for the first time since 1984. I cried with and for he and his teammates during their heart breaking loss to Yoakum in the playoffs.

My middle son has now having the time of his life since he started playing 3 1/2 seasons ago. I've only missed one of his football games - Ingram, 7th grade. I missed a handful of junior high basketball games, but mainly out of town ones. I attended his track meets until he banned me in 8th grade. I guess it's easier for your mom to make you nervous when you're throwing shot/discus than if you're running. ;)

The 7th grader is just beginning his years on the field. Last year, he wasn't too sure he wanted to play, but once he got out there the first time, he's been having a lot of fun.

My hopes for my boys - whatever they choose to do, whether it be band, athletics, or anything else - give it 100% every minute. If they've done their best, they'll never have a regret. :)

Adidas410s
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Ever since I can remember...my dad was coaching our baseball teams. Being the 2nd of 4 boys...there was always some sport being played. At one point, my dad coached one of us in baseball from about 1985-1997/98. There were a few years where we played soccer as well and he was there for that. When it came to tennis...I've been from Amarillo to Odessa to Tyler to Houston to Corpus Christi and many points in between and he (and usually mom) was always there to watch.

My dad made it a point for every kid to enjoy playing and for every kid to get to play...and to start a game as well. Whether we were the 1st place team and going to the city tournament or just a team playing and enjoying our season, everybody was going to play and have fun. He never made the game about my brothers and I and though I did pitch, catch, and play first base most of the time, there were games where I played in the outfield and even sat the bench. I may not have liked it at the time...but he never wanted others to think that he was there because it was his son on the field. He made it a point to always involve other parents in our practices and often times we would have 12-13 kids and 7 to 8 parents there as well. I know that he wasn't a fan of the politics that go on in little league baseball and that's why he never joined the boards. In retrospect, it was one of those things that probably kept me and my older brother from being on the all-star teams despite our accomplishments. That being said, I was always proud of my dad for being as fair as possible and reaching out to take kids on his team that other coaches didn't want. I've never seen somebody prepare more for a little league draft than my dad did. He had 10-12 catagories that he would grade every player on and then compile the data on the 200 or so kids and know exactly who he wanted on his team. He would take kids with early that would otherwise be picked in the 12th or 13th round because, though not the most talented kid, he could tell that they had something to contribute to the team and all it took was for somebody to give them the chance.

Please don't take this as me trying to brag on my dad. I've just always looked up to him and was proud to have him as my coach. To steal a line from a Brad Paisley song, "I hope I'm at least half the dad that he didn't have to be." :)

olddawggreen
10-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Having three sons that have been involved in football, basketball, track and baseball and golf, and making my living sometimes far from our hometown, (there is no oil & gas in Burnet as of yet), I have had to miss many of their events. I hate this but its just the way it is. If I had to make a living in Burnet, I couldn't live there.

I always look forward to talking to the boys on the phone after the games and watching their game films when I can, and I always make every event that I can on Thursdays Fridays or weekends. Between their mom and grandmothers we usually have someone at every game. We don't live our lives through our boys, we live our lives for them. It will all be over way too soon and we relish every moment of it.

GreenMonster
10-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Ever since I can remember...my dad was coaching our baseball teams. Being the 2nd of 4 boys...there was always some sport being played. At one point, my dad coached one of us in baseball from about 1985-1997/98. There were a few years where we played soccer as well and he was there for that. When it came to tennis...I've been from Amarillo to Odessa to Tyler to Houston to Corpus Christi and many points in between and he (and usually mom) was always there to watch.

My dad made it a point for every kid to enjoy playing and for every kid to get to play...and to start a game as well. Whether we were the 1st place team and going to the city tournament or just a team playing and enjoying our season, everybody was going to play and have fun. He never made the game about my brothers and I and though I did pitch, catch, and play first base most of the time, there were games where I played in the outfield and even sat the bench. I may not have liked it at the time...but he never wanted others to think that he was there because it was his son on the field. He made it a point to always involve other parents in our practices and often times we would have 12-13 kids and 7 to 8 parents there as well. I know that he wasn't a fan of the politics that go on in little league baseball and that's why he never joined the boards. In retrospect, it was one of those things that probably kept me and my older brother from being on the all-star teams despite our accomplishments. That being said, I was always proud of my dad for being as fair as possible and reaching out to take kids on his team that other coaches didn't want. I've never seen somebody prepare more for a little league draft than my dad did. He had 10-12 catagories that he would grade every player on and then compile the data on the 200 or so kids and know exactly who he wanted on his team. He would take kids with early that would otherwise be picked in the 12th or 13th round because, though not the most talented kid, he could tell that they had something to contribute to the team and all it took was for somebody to give them the chance.

Please don't take this as me trying to brag on my dad. I've just always looked up to him and was proud to have him as my coach. To steal a line from a Brad Paisley song, "I hope I'm at least half the dad that he didn't have to be." :)

:clap: :clap: :weeping: :weeping: :clap: :clap: You should have posted this on Father's Day!

handNthedirt
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I am curious as to why it took an entire pasture to teach the boy the proper 3 point stance...was the living room too cluttered? Anyway, I have a daughter that will be 2 in July and I am her biggest fan already. I take off from work every Wednesday to go with her and mommy to Gymboree (orchestrated recess for youngens) and I get the biggest kick out of watching her have fun and enjoy herself. When I was an athlete back in the day, I was fortunate enough to have parents who gave me the same support...athletically, academically, or whatever...they were there. If I was practicing, whether it was pop warner, or varsity, everyone at the field knew my dad was there because of the cigar smoke in the air. He came to every practice, every game (even in college), and it meant the world to me. He was very critical of my play, though, maybe a little excessive at times. In high school he'd come to games with a small dry erase board and score each series 1-10. It was all in fun, most of the time, but it definitely brought us closer, I appreciate that, and I'll most definitely do the same for my kids (w/o the dry erase)...even if they're in the band.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Obviously, I'm not a parent, but I will say that as a child, my parents going to support me in my athletic endeavors meant the world to me. Always looking up and seeing someone there, supporting you no matter what was very encouraging. I was lucky enough to have my dad attend all of my sporting events from my seventh grade year all the way through my senior year in high school. I can only remember two track meets and one basketball game that he missed. I always knew that I could look up in the stands at the very top, right in the middle, and see him up there, smiling and giving me the thumbs up. I'll never forget the impact that it had on me, and I'm going to do the exact same thing for my children whenever the time comes around for them to participate in something they love, whether it be sports, band, or checkers, as someone mentioned earlier. Personally, I'm hoping on sports. :D

mwynn05
10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
lee i cant make time go by faster and at 1030 ill meet you at your car so i can drop off my crap so when are yall leaving? im heading back too..

olddawggreen
10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
[B] I rejoiced with he and his teammates during their 2002 Senior season, 9-0 for the first time since 1984.

Huh? :thinking: ;)

luvhoops34
10-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I missed a few games through the years, but not many. Seemed like I was somewhere every night of the week when she was in high school. Between, volleyball, basketball, and club volleyball, I put 70,000 miles on my Expedition one year going to games and practices. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the entire world. And it wasn't just getting to watch my daughter that mattered. It was getting to watch all the other girls play, that I had known since before they were born. :D

LH Panther Mom
10-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Huh? :thinking: ;)
Well, 9-0 for a while. :p Stinking dogs.... ;)

Go Cuero
10-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Good topic.

My parents attended few. Mainly it was my dad because he is a sports guy...my mom not so much. I think it didn't bother me either way because I was use to them not being able to be there for whatever reason. It was different for me too because my dad would always make a point of yelling out in front of everyone what I was doing wrong...it was worse w/my brother. I think that was one of the main reasons he quit sports in jr high. So if you're parent is one of those side line coaches..not so much a good idea to have them their if you are a kid..in my experience anyway. Ya just want to crawl into a hole!! LOL

But I plan on doing it differently w/my kids. I've maybe missed 1 game in all of my son's games whether it was soccer, football, or basketball. He's only 6 so we have a long way to go and I'm looking forward to it. My daughter is 3 and just started dance/ballet but next year she will be in soccer. It will be challenging getting them to 2 different fields on Saturdays (Oh I hate not living in a small town LOL) but I will be at both of their games. I think it's important to show your support and attend all their games if you can. I know when my son looks up and sees me and all of his grandparents at every game he has a huge smile and knows that we are their supporting him. I'll admit I'm probably the loudest or next to the loudest mom yelling Go Cole...but it's not negative...all positive and he loves hearing his name!!

Good topic!!

bobcat1
10-20-2006, 11:02 AM
I have discovered that yelling GO MEAN GREEN at the Regional golf tournament is not a good idea
LOL, I learned that also! LOL I am like everyone else on here. I don't miss my kid's games. My dad thought he had to work and never came to mine. He owned his own business and was driven to be the biggest and best. He was a good man and I understand where he was coming from growing up in the Great Depression. I just wish once he could have come. I will have to be in a hospital bed unable to go to miss my kid's game. I made myself that promise after our only loss in my senior year 2 rounds in the playoffs. I didn't have anyone but Coach on the sidelines after the games. Sure was glad to have him!;)

I don't live through my kids, my living is enhanced by them!

txwtlifter
10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I know parents can't always be at every event their kids participate in but it does amaze me that some parents rarely to never attend thier kids events.
I have 3 kids so I attend football, volleyball, baseball, basketball, track, soccer, cheerleading and UIL one act plays. This is the best times in their lives and I would'nt miss it for the world.
One night my 7th grade daughter had a volleyball game out of town while by 9th grade son had JV football game at home. My wife and I both went to my son's football game and my 7th grade daughter was not to happy about that. To finish story you have to realize my daughter plays club soccer at the same time as volleyball season so we go to twice as many games for her as we do my son. Sometimes the ole schedules don't work out quite like you want them to.

Rabbit'93
10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
My mom & dad tried very hard to make all my sporting events. My dad used to coach my baseball teams when I was in Little League. Eventually my mom stopped coming because my dad began to drink more. He would embarrass her. The he stopped coming all together. He finally quit my junior year and they both attended every thing I did.

Me on the other hand. I coach every sport my sons do (except gymnastics that one year). I make a point to attend every thing they do be it school or sports. It will be harder this year as I've gotten a promotion that is farther away from Forney. But I'll try. :D

LHMom
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Watching my kids play... Wow. Since this is my first year as a "has-been" football mom, it's an emotional topic for me!

My boys both played football from 7th-12th grades, both were on varsity their Sophomore - Senior season.
The only games I ever missed were the 2 years when they played on the same night, but in different locations (they were 2 school years apart.) Those 2 years, my husband and I had to do split-duty. We didn't both have cell phones then so I had to wait till we both got home to hear what happened.

And varsity football was THE BEST time of our lives. It wasn't just being there for the games. I loved the whole cycle of scouting reports on Mondays,... the CRAZY anticipation the night before games... through game film on Saturday mornings. The excitement of seeing them be successful on the field with their teammates. The funnest thing ever! And the thing I guess I miss the most is the house full of the boys after every varsity game - hearing the loud roar of chatter about every play, while I cooked & cooked & cooked.... Finally they'd have their hunger satisfied and the chatter would die down as they each crashed. My living room floor looked like a homeless shelter! The best of times. I don't know how anything can top it.

vet93
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with bragging on your Dad and it sounds like you sure had one to brag about. You are a blessed young man (you already know it though!)...the best way to pay your dad back is to pass down his fathering style to the next generation.

Originally posted by Adidas410s

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
There have been some very wonderful reflections on this thread. I believe that the heart and soul of high school football is in how it catalyzes the bond between a father and son and a mother and son. High school football is about families and familial relationships more than scores and statistics.

With mothers it is more like a sacrifice. The boy is becoming a man and the mother is willingly letting go even though it means exposing her son to danger and the possibility of loss. The mother sacrifices her nuturing instincts knowing it is necesary for her son to become a man.

With the father it is about acceptance into manhood, a rite of passage not unlike those shared by our Native Americans. When your son succeeds in this endeavor the boy is now a man and stands as an equal. The father and son relationship enters into a man to man relationship. Pride is the underlying emotion for both. There are many such examples in our society but high school football has to be one of the greatest.

bobcat1
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo to all. I really liked LHMom's story. It sounds like the times we had with our 23 year old and his gang. They are all like my own kids. If you have ever had them over and fed them and they crashed all over your house like they did LHMom's, then you know what I mean. Best of times for sure!!!!!!!!!! The right of passage into the man to man relationship is right on target also Pud!:clap:

tigerpride_08
10-21-2006, 07:21 PM
my parents always make it to my games and they don't know how much that means to me...

Pudlugger
10-21-2006, 07:32 PM
I think they do.

LHMom
10-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
my parents always make it to my games and they don't know how much that means to me...

You should be sure to tell 'em though. One of my best memories is after the LH loss to Jasper in the semi-finals, my son called me from the bus and thanked me for all that I did for him and the team. I told him "that's my job, but I thanked him for such great memories." Yeah, I knew, and yours probably do also - but it was so special to hear.