PDA

View Full Version : Biggest/Most exciting win in your school's history....

Bulldog92
07-30-2003, 07:49 PM
I just wanna get some good stories about your schools. We covered the most lopsided wins, but which games that your school won mean the most to you and your fans? I need to think about this one a little (for the biggest Jasper win), but you guys go ahead and run with it... :D

<small>[ July 30, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Bulldog92 ]</small>

sinton66
07-30-2003, 07:57 PM
The biggest win Sinton had for me was just last year when the Pirates beat 4A Gregory-Portland for the first time ever in the history of the two schools. G-P went on to go to the 4A semis, losing to Brenham. Not only did Sinton beat them, but we beat them in their stadium. I understand that every Sinton team beat them all the way down to Jr. high last year. That is a HUGE monkey off our backs!

<small>[ July 30, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Matthew328
07-30-2003, 08:49 PM
For Everman the Forney win in 2001 was huge...but the win over Sinton in the 2001 state title game edges the Forney win out..

Chris Hart
07-30-2003, 09:09 PM
The most meaningful and enjoyable for me in Burnet, was beating our arch rival Marble Falls 14-14 via penetrations in the quarterfinals of 91. We had beat them earlier in the year 27-13 at their house when both teams met at 8-0 for the first time in the 80+ year history of the rivalry. We went on to lose 7-0 to Groesbeck in the title game.

Although after all the hype Jasper received last season, the victory over them was mighty sweet, but still finished a distant second for me. Burnet is being hyped much the same way this year, but most is not from Burnet followers. I'm sure we will be a marked target for everyone much the way Jasper was last season.

<small>[ July 30, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

trojandad
07-30-2003, 09:27 PM
I won't rehash what everyone's tired of hearing, but last year's Liberty/Coldspring game at Liberty was the best I've seen.

Liberty was up 21-12 with 2:35 left, Liberty having the ball first and ten on their eleven. After a safety. a fourth and 30 conversion, a two point conversion and a 40+ yard Liberty field goal attempt that was SO close that both sides were celebrating the win, Coldspring pulled it out 22-21.

Before that game, I always thought the Texas-Arkansas game for #1 back in 69 was the best come from behind game I had ever seen, but the Coldspring/Liberty game beat that one. Each team left everything on the field that night. Saw guys being carried off like Kellan Winslow had to be carried off years ago in that Miami/San Diego playoff game. Was impressed with both teams a lot.

trojandad
07-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Oh Bulldog, not to bring up bad memories, but didn't Cleveland do a miraculous comeback a few years back on you guys, something along the lines that they were 3 or 4 touchdowns behind at half to pull it out? I can imagine that it wouldn't be at the top of your list since it happened TO you instead of FOR you, but I was reminded of that win in Cleveland today at a luncheon.

I guess the 7 overtime game with Coldspring and Splendora a few years back was a good game, too, just wasn't as memorable with big plays as the Liberty game was.

wildstangs
07-30-2003, 09:58 PM
The state championship in 1985 was prolly Sweetwaters' biggest win. The biggest one I remember though was in 1998. We beat Brownwood, in Brownwood. It was Colby Freemans senior year. I dont think anyone but the team expected us to win that one. Heck, we didnt even make the playoffs that year.

Old Dog
07-30-2003, 10:01 PM
My best memory was the same '91 season Chris spoke of, but my favorite game was the semi's with Southlake Carroll. SLC got most of the hype that year and Burnet was an underdog in every playoff game because we had never even got past bi-district before. The game was at Baylor and Burnet suited up 27 players. During the school songs I counted over 65 SLC players. That was one of the three ties Burnet had in it's run to the title game. Crazy Season!!!!!!!!

Bulldog92
07-30-2003, 10:28 PM
I wasn't there at the time and couldn't follow the Dogs from Colorado, trojandad, so I wasn't aware that Cleveland beat us, but that's cool. That's the beauty of high school football in Texas. You never know who is gonna improve over the course of a few years...or decline like Jasper did up until a couple years ago. Cleveland was going through a lot of adversity at that time and we knew going into the game that it wasn't gonna be pretty. We got our butts handed to us a lot during this past bad stretch that we went through before we got good again. We still have a long way to go as the folks in both Jasper and Burnet can tell you. It all goes in cycles... :D

MARLINFAN
07-30-2003, 10:29 PM
OUR BIGGEST WIN IN SCHOOL HISTORY WAS WHEN WE UPSET ENNIS. SOME PEOPLE SAY IT WAS A FLUKE BUT THAT WAS THE TURNING POINT OF LAST YEARS SEASON. THAT WIN IS WHAT I THINKED HELPED US GO 4 ROUNDS DEEP IN THE PLAYOFFS. WE HAD THE CONFIDENCE THAT WE COULD GO ALL THE WAY

slpybear the bullfan
07-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Bridgeport went into the playoffs off of the third seed in our district in 2001. Our record was 5 and 5 and needless to say, we were overlooked.

After beating Crane on a down to the wire game, we advance to the Regional Championship vs. Kennedale. We played at pennington field and had a come from behind victory, coming back a couple of touchdowns and change to win the Region I title. It was the most exciting game I ever saw my school play... made me wish I had been around 10 years later to play in that one.

lobo12
07-30-2003, 11:30 PM
the biggest win in monahans that i can remember was in 98. We started off 0-4 and werent supposed to make the playoffs. We made it to the 3rd round of the playofs and had to play the #1 team, breckenridge. We ended up beating them 29-0.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-31-2003, 01:28 AM
Two Games for Vernon--both against Southlake Carroll. The first one Vernon won (1991 I think) went on to win the state championship. But the best High School Football game ever came the following year at Pennington field where Southlake beat Vernon. Compared to the Everman Forney game of two years back. Standing room only, what a great gamme. Vernon fumbled inside the 5 as they were about to score the winning touchdown. Southlake won the state championship that year.

Swarm 51
07-31-2003, 01:35 AM
No doubt about it......the Gatesville Hornets
14-10 win over Abilene Wylie in 2000 for the state championship and a perfect 15-0 season. Was not much on TV tonight so I got out the tape of that game and watched it again for the "umteenth" time.

exbccards76'smom
07-31-2003, 05:57 AM
Our biggest upset win that means the most to me is when Bridge City beat Newton at Newton in 2000. My son was playing on that team. :D

shellman54
07-31-2003, 08:38 AM
Twice in the last 7 years, Barbers Hill has beaten Hamshire-Fannett on last second field goals. We have always had a fierce rivalry with them, so to have beaten them twice like that is something special for us

JasperDog94
07-31-2003, 08:38 AM
I remember that Jasper/Cleveland game. Jasper was up 21-0 at the half and lost 24-21 or 25-21, I can't remember. You could literally feel the momentum shifting after halftime. Although I hated it at the time, that was a pretty awesome comeback, especially considering it was at Jasper. And that was only 4 years removed from the 82-0 drumming Jasper put on Cleveland. I guess paybacks are tough.

District303aPastPlayer
07-31-2003, 10:37 AM
i dont remember the details, anotehr sinton poster will, but the game where Sinton allowed the other team to score only to win on penetrations after a tie.

PITarpon85
07-31-2003, 01:03 PM
After being humiliated in a 63-0 loss in 1993 to the Cuero Gobblers in Austin's Memorial Stadium on the campus of UT, the Port Isabel Tarpons only wanted one thing in 1994, a chance to play them again to give a better showing of Valley 3A Football. That Tarpon-Gobbler II game turned out to be the game of the year in 1994. The Gobblers ranked #1 looked like a Division II college team ready to take the state title. The Tarpons on paper didn't stand a chance and it looked like 1993 all over again. But on that Thanksgiving weekend, it was the Gobblers who stayed home to eat leftover turkey with dreams of what could have been. The Tarpons set the tone at the coin flip. The Tarps as a team made their way to the hash mark in the middle of the field leaving only their equipment on hte sideline. Not to be not done, the Gobblers followed suit. And that was the underlining theme of the game, The Tarpons attacked and the Gobblers reacted. The electriciy could be felt in the stands, something special was in the air. The game was filled with hard hits, swarming team tackling, and both teams looking for the knock out blow. With more than half of the 4th quarter gone. The Tarpons were down 20-12. On the final drive The Tarps knew that it was now or never. And the football gods smiled upon The Tarpons. And with a 4 yard gain and a could of dust, Big Blue drove down the field for six points making the score 20-18. Everyone in that stadium was on thier feet. We knew that we were ahead on penetrations, so this 2-point coversion would put us ahead. Both teams came to the line of scrimmage knowing this was it and on the forth "hut" we tied the score at 20-20. With 3 minutes on the clock , the Gobblers recived the kick-off. Javalina Stadium in Kingsville has never sounded so loud as it did that night. In desperation, the team from Cuero started to throw the ball (something they had limited success with). On 3rd and long the Gobblers made thier final mistake. An interseption of a Cuero pass and the Mighty Gobblers were no more. Eventhough the Tarpon didn't win state that, it might has will been.

big69
07-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Diboll's had two games- in 1999 we were beating Cleveland 22-0 at the half in bi-district and they ended up coming back to win 40-35 and we had a chance with a last second TD pass that was caught then deflected. Same thing happened the week before against Crockett for the district title. In 2000 our first game was against Cleveland and we laid it on them good 42-3. Then came Crockett on our last game, we were 9-0 and they were 8-1, most talked about game in the state and we beat them at their house 14-13 thanks to a last second interception returned for a TD and extra point.

pirate4state
07-31-2003, 02:17 PM
District303aPastPlayer:
i dont remember the details, anotehr sinton poster will, but the game where Sinton allowed the other team to score only to win on penetrations after a tie.Aaron-I remember this game! This was gonna be my 1st pick. It was against Hitchcock! I have 2 other games that really stand out from 2001 the game in Victoria against Bellville & the semi-final game against Bridge City to make it to state!!

big daddy russ
07-31-2003, 02:41 PM
For Ingleside's biggest win ever you'd have to go all the way back to 1962, in the first of our two runs to the State Title game. Ingleside was actually picked third in district before the season began and absolutely nobody gave us a chance to make it very deep in the playoffs (we were a Class A team back then). But facing New London in the State Semifinals, who had been ranked fifth in the preseason and fourth at the close of the regular season, unranked Ingleside pulled off a huge 14-6 upset to make it to the State Championship. The Mustangs would lose that next game to Rotan, but they had an awesome run doing it.

As far as Aransas Pass goes, their biggest win was just a few years ago. Before 1998, the Panthers had never made it past the third round of the playoffs, but found themselves at round four (the Quarterfinals) playing an extremely tough team in the Sweeny Bulldogs (ranked second preseason, ninth to close out the year). AP came out with a nailbiting 20-17 win and their first and only trip to the State Semifinals.

true_blue_tiger
07-31-2003, 02:53 PM
well, any of the state championship games are huge. But I'd have to say this past year when we beat Celina, 21-20. Their placekicker missed the game tying field goal with 10 seconds left. Or another one was in 2000 when we played Lindale at their house on their Homecoming. They were winning 20-19 with like 3 seconds left, when our qb lobbed the ball up about 50 yds to the endzone, bounced off one of their defender's hands and fell into the open arms of our receiver. It gave us a 25-20 win, over one of our bigger rivals of the past few years.

BULLDOGFAN
07-31-2003, 03:42 PM
I was at that game Tarpn85 and the thing I remember the most about it was whne Cuero scored that last touchdown and moved ahead, the entire Cuero side was cheering that Na Na Na, Were Number #1 song as Port Isabel sat in stunned silence. But a few minutes later in was turned all around.

For Bandera it was of course the State Championship game against Greenwood. Double overtime, never picked to win a single game through the playoff's, and a 30 mile hour wind all added up to electricity. And everyone got what they paid for. And incredible game.

audasmom7
07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Beating Daingerfield.. They came to that game thinking they had already won it.. You could tell by the way they were acting. That week we didnt sing it we brought it.

sinton66
07-31-2003, 05:32 PM
District303aPastPlayer:
i dont remember the details, anotehr sinton poster will, but the game where Sinton allowed the other team to score only to win on penetrations after a tie.The '92 regional semi between Sinton and Hitchcock was indeed the most exciting I've seen. For me, biggest and most exciting are two different things.

niceguy1986
08-01-2003, 12:03 AM
The biggest one ever for me was the 2000 Hutto vs Thorndale game (which we were both in 2a at the time) Hutto had not beatin Thorndale in over 40 years. Then on that rainy night at Hutto, the Hippos beat Thorndale 14-7. Which also was the game that assured us a playoff spot. Our 2nd playoff season in over 30 years. Thorndale did not go to the playoffs that year, even though they were 8-2 =D good times

District303aPastPlayer
08-01-2003, 01:16 AM
okay, guys, i know im from sinton, and i should know the history of the famed hitchcock game, but not everyone on this board does, please post it. give details
-aaron

Old Green
08-01-2003, 06:17 AM
The Sinton-Hitchcock was the most exciting game I have witnessed. It all came down to coaching strategy.

sinton66
08-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Sinton was down 13-12 in the fourth quarter. Sinton gave the ball over on downs with about two minutes left in the game with no time-outs left. Hitchcock ran a running play and the Sinton Safety made the tackle. Davenport called him over to the sideline. He went back to the team to relay the info. Hitchcock ran the same play again trying to run out the clock. This time the Sinton safety just stepped aside and let him go. He went on in and scored with about 1:45 left on the clock. Hitchcock went for two but Sinton stuffed it. Davenport called the team over and told them "Okay, I got you the ball back, now it's up to you." Sinton drove the length of the field and scored, kicked the extra point to tie the game, and won it by virtue of one more penetration.

spiveyrat
08-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Kenny,
Any time Jasper beat West Orange Stark... those were exciting wins (as I'm sure, you can attest). Unfortunately, they lead the series by quite a few games, though. They really had our number for quite a few years.

pirate4state
08-01-2003, 09:10 AM
sinton66:
Sinton was down 13-12 in the fourth quarter. Sinton gave the ball over on downs with about two minutes left in the game with no time-outs left. Hitchcock ran a running play and the Sinton Safety made the tackle. Davenport called him over to the sideline. He went back to the team to relay the info. Hitchcock ran the same play again trying to run out the clock. This time the Sinton safety just stepped aside and let him go. He went on in and scored with about 1:45 left on the clock. Hitchcock went for two but Sinton stuffed it. Davenport called the team over and told them "Okay, I got you the ball back, now it's up to you." Sinton drove the length of the field and scored, kicked the extra point to tie the game, and won it by virtue of one more penetration.What I remember most about this game was the reaction of the fans. We went ballistic when our defense appeared to be unsure of what they were supposed to be doing-defending! Then Albert Longoria had that great kick return to give us field position & all I can remember after that is David Seago's catch in the back of the end zone!! And of course, the victory party the next night. hee-hee :D wink

Bulldog92
08-01-2003, 03:22 PM
spiveyrat:
Kenny,
Any time Jasper beat West Orange Stark... those were exciting wins (as I'm sure, you can attest). Unfortunately, they lead the series by quite a few games, though. They really had our number for quite a few years.It looks like we'll line up against them again really soon. Those are the kinds of rivalries that make Texas high school football so much fun.

c-town_balla
08-02-2003, 11:33 PM
The best game that I can remember was Cameron vs. Gatseville last year in the play-offs

pirateman98
08-03-2003, 06:43 PM
I will agree that that was the biggest game I ever witnessed Sinton play in my life. Hitchcock played a good game and it was fun. I remember me and my family walking out and we saw the whole thing from the fence because we thought it was over. Then we heard our fans going wild and we waited to see what was going to happen. When we realized what was going on we stayed at the fence and waited. I had the best view( I think) of that catch. Saw he reach out and grab it right out of the air. It was a great game to be a part of i do agree!!