PDA

View Full Version : Ziegfest 2006 Houston, TX

g$$
10-19-2006, 07:29 PM
FYI:

If you enjoy Texas Country Music under the open skies, read this. Free show ($5 parking on site) at Sam Houston Race Park. SHRP is on Beltway 8 just north of I-10 in Houston. Concerts will be held in grass field on 2 stages just outside of park. Rain or shine, but forecast is for beautiful & clear weather Friday & Saturday. All ages welcome too.

www.ziegfest.com

Bands include Cross Canadian Ragweed, Cory Morrow, Roger Creager, Eli Young Band, Wade Bowen, Reckless Kelly, Stoney LaRue, Phil Pritchett, & many more.

Gates open at 2:00 PM / more details on website provided above. Watch some football, enjoy your Saturday, & come out for some music under the stars.

Have fun & be safe!

carter08
10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
I'll be there.

Creager is one of the best artists in Texas
and CCR is, well, CCR

SWMustang
10-19-2006, 08:55 PM
YOU GOING G$$?

JasperDog94
10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Since I'm not a betting man and I dislike country music I guess there's no reason to go. Other than it's going to be a beatiful day.

Nahhhh, I'll just go fishing instead.:)

Gobbla2001
10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by g$$
FYI:

Bands include Cross Canadian Ragweed, Cory Morrow, Roger Creager, Eli Young Band, Wade Bowen, Reckless Kelly, Stoney LaRue, Phil Pritchett, & many more.

I've seen all but Stoney and Pritchett...

Ragweed and Stoney are playing in Buda tonight I believe at the Firefighter-fest thingy or something... Reckless, my favorite band, is in Buda tomorrow night with Jason Boland and the Stragglers...

Maroon87
10-20-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm planning on going tomorrow night.

Adidas410s
10-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Without CCR...I might have considered going. I'm just not a big fan of their music (flame away) because I get tired of hearing a lot of the same chords and rhythms over...and over...and over. They are the red dirt version of Creed! ;)

Now Roger Creager...arguably the most talented man in Texas Music...and especially in Texas Country. While the movement towards a more rock-oriented sound in Texas Music has somewhat passed him by, he's still one of the best around and I've loved every show I've ever seen him at.

Maroon87
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Without CCR...I might have considered going. I'm just not a big fan of their music (flame away) because I get tired of hearing a lot of the same chords and rhythms over...and over...and over.

In all fairness 410 I hear the same thing with RRB. Not a knock (I like CCR a bit better than RRB but they're both great) just one man's observation. :cool:

CHS_CG
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I went to the zigfest here in Bryan at the lake.. It was great! great texas country out by the water is awesome in the middle of the summer!

g$$
10-20-2006, 01:30 PM
SWMUSTANG:

I am planning on going. Supposed to be great weather & a good time. Probably go for the night shows. If I go too early it will get ugly...if you know what I mean! I wish Wade Bowen was later in the day though.

Interesting observation Adidas. I like CCR, but you make a good point. Saw Creager a few weeks ago & he is a fine musician & puts on a good show as always.

PM me if anyone cares to meet up & everyone be safe.

Maroon87
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmmm....sounds like a Texas Country M&G perhaps? Too bad we don't have a T-shirt to sign.;)

g$$
10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
No, that would be weird. I probably won't be able to write legibly anyway!

Adidas410s
10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
SWMUSTANG:

I am planning on going. Supposed to be great weather & a good time. Probably go for the night shows. If I go too early it will get ugly...if you know what I mean! I wish Wade Bowen was later in the day though.

Interesting observation Adidas. I like CCR, but you make a good point. Saw Creager a few weeks ago & he is a fine musician & puts on a good show as always.

PM me if anyone cares to meet up & everyone be safe.

If you like Reckless Kelly, make sure you get there to catch Micky and the Motorcars. Those guys are the younger Braun brothers of RK and I really like there stuff...better than RK IMO. And of course Wade...whew I think I'm still recovering from last Thursday night at Firewater in Dallas. I know that I still have "Red Headed Woman" stuck in my head. I don't know if he'll play that since he's only got a 45 minute set but you never know. It's a song that he recorded but didn't make the last album. They tracked 22 songs I believe so they still have 9 or 10 that haven't been released.

Adidas410s
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
In all fairness 410 I hear the same thing with RRB. Not a knock (I like CCR a bit better than RRB but they're both great) just one man's observation. :cool:
I think you could make that argument within each of the RRB's albums. Look at the new album tracks 7 and 11. VERY much the same musically. Same with #'s 8 and 10 as well as 1,5, and 6. However, I don't really see songs from album to album that are on too much of a parallel musically. They have definitely transitioned each album IMO from Live @ Cheatham to Like It Used to Be to Rollercoaster to Matter of Time.

raider red 2000
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No, that would be weird. I probably won't be able to write legibly anyway!

what time will people need to get there you think.

the wife and i might go.

g$$
10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
www.ziegfest.com

Concert line-up is on website above. Gates open at 2:00 PM, but we plan to go around 7 or 8. Just depends on how long you want to stay & who you want to see. Bowen is at like 6:45 I believe. CCR is final show.

Good points Adidas. RRB is growing with each record. CCR to me has hit a plateau, but I still like them.

SWMustang
10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I gotta take my wife out to dinner with another couple at 7PM. I live in Tomball and will have to drive back home right past the track. I might make it our there. Pm me a number and I'll give you a holler if we stop in.

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Other than the ankle-deep mud, it was a great show last night. :cool:

carter08
10-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Other than the ankle-deep mud, it was a great show last night. :cool:

i still wish CCR would have played Carney

Gobbla2001
10-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Two questions, Maroon (carter as well if you know):

1. What all did reckless kelly play?

2. did reckless kelly or ragweed prank the other?

carter08
10-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Reckless played early, and they left before CCR got there.

Played the usually
Crazy Eddies and other stuff

Gobbla2001
10-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Reckless played early, and they left before CCR got there.

Played the usually
Crazy Eddies and other stuff

well apparently they're starting to play a 'new' song that MAY be on an album next year, forget what it's called... they've had the song recorded for a while I hear, they've just never stuck it on an album...

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
I didn't get there until 7:30pm and RK was long gone. The Eli Young Band was on stage when I came in.

Gobbla2001
10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
did any guests come up and help out Ragweed with "Them Boys from Oklahoma play their football wrong"???

Them boys down in Texas got some size and speed
they let us borrow Peterson that was all we'd need
but now they're laughing with McCoy, Griffin and Sweed
them boys down in Texas got some size and speed

(insert harmonica)

carter08
10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
did any guests come up and help out Ragweed with "Them Boys from Oklahoma play their football wrong"???

Morrow, Bowen, and i think some others

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Them boys down in Texas got some size and speed
they let us borrow Peterson that was all we'd need
but now they're laughing with McCoy, Griffin and Sweed
them boys down in Texas got some size and speed

(insert harmonica)

Yeah they had a stageful.;)

Gobbla2001
10-22-2006, 01:23 PM
You know out of the Texas Music shows I've seen in my day I've only seen Ragweed once and last was a couple of months ago at the Backroads Music Fest in Corpus...

the guest singers for that song were Micky Braun, Kevin Fowler, Bleu Edmonson and then Cody Braun...

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
You know out of the Texas Music shows I've seen in my day I've only seen Ragweed once and last was a couple of months ago at the Backroads Music Fest in Corpus...

Funny thing...I was just down the street that night at Brewster's and didn't know the show was going on until I saw a poster in the restroom. Man I was ticked!!:doh:

Gobbla2001
10-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Funny thing...I was just down the street that night at Brewster's and didn't know the show was going on until I saw a poster in the restroom. Man I was ticked!!:doh:

I think the show ended at 12:30 and some folks I know from Houston wanted us to go to Brewster's with 'em but we had an hour and a half drive home and I had to be at work at 7:30....

Maroon87
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
I think the show ended at 12:30 and some folks I know from Houston wanted us to go to Brewster's with 'em but we had an hour and a half drive home and I had to be at work at 7:30....

Ryan Bales Band played at Brewster's that night after they played their set at the Backroads festival.:cool:

g$$
10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
We got there later than I wanted (you know how girls are...). We saw 1/2 of Creager & then Cory Morrow & then Ragweed. It was fun but the ankle high mud was brutal.

Ragweed was decent but they are walking that line right now with me. I understand that bands must play new stuff to move forward, but they also must please their fans with old stuff too. They played about 60-70% new stuff on Soul Gravy & Garage or even newer, & then some old ones. No Alabama or Carney or some others I wanted. Oh well.

I like Wade Bowen & RRB the best right now on the Texas Music scene anyway. Cody Canada announced one time at a show in CS that "we will never change if y'all keep coming out & supporting us". I think he needs to think about what he said then & get back to what works best for Ragweed.

Never heard from any of the 3aDL guys on here. I wrote down your #s & left them at the house. Sorry about that. Hope everyone had fun.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
When I saw 'em in Corpus a couple of months back they played a lot of their older stuff (including Alabama and Carney)... maybe they just like mixin' it up... plus at most of these fests (like the one I was at) they don't have much playing time

SWMustang
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
We got there later than I wanted (you know how girls are...). We saw 1/2 of Creager & then Cory Morrow & then Ragweed. It was fun but the ankle high mud was brutal.

Ragweed was decent but they are walking that line right now with me. I understand that bands must play new stuff to move forward, but they also must please their fans with old stuff too. They played about 60-70% new stuff on Soul Gravy or even newer, & then some old ones. No Alabama or Carney or some others I wanted. Oh well.

I like Wade Bowen & RRB the best right now on the Texas Music scene anyway. Cody Canada announced one time at a show in CS that "we will never change if y'all keep coming out & supporting us". I think he needs to think about what he said then & get back to what works best for Ragweed.

Never heard from any of the 3aDL guys on here. I wrote down your #s & left them at the house. Sorry about that. Hope everyone had fun.

Dinner ran a little long for me, G$$. In retrospect I don't know if the wife would have been too pleased to be stomping around in ankle deep mud. Sorry I missed you.

carter08
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I liked the new stuff they played.

Sister is one of my favorite Ragweed songs

I still am upset they didnt play Carney
but they did great on 17

g$$
10-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey, new stuff is good too. But they played for over 1.5 hours, so the time was not an issue as far as playing both old & new. Just my opinion.

I've seen a lot of Ragweed shows going back to when they 1st got started. This one would rank in the bottom 1/3. Their shows do NOT have the same energy they used to have.

SWMUSTANG: good choice, the mud was pretty bad. I spent too much $$ on beverages anyway! Take care.

Bull19
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Ragweed was decent but they are walking that line right now with me. I understand that bands must play new stuff to move forward, but they also must please their fans with old stuff too. They played about 60-70% new stuff on Soul Gravy & Garage or even newer, & then some old ones. No Alabama or Carney or some others I wanted. Oh well.

THE REASON THEY PLAY THE NEWER STUFF IS BECAUSE
1. IT GETS MORE COMMERCIAL ATTENTION
2. - THIS IS THE MAIN ONE- THE OLD STUFF> CARNEY, BOYS FRM OK.ETC, THEY ARE SONGS THAT THEY ARENT PROUD OF. THEY ARE JUST FUNNY GOOFY SONGS AND THOSE ARENT THE KIND YOU ENJOY PLAYING, THEY ENJOY PLAYING THE SONGS THAT ACTUALLY MEAN SOMETHING TO THEM AND THAT THEY ARE PROUD OF. ( GRADY TOLD ME THIS SO, DONT TELL ME THAT IM WRONG;

IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED)

HOWEVER I DO AGREE WITH U TO AN EXTENT. HEARING CARNEY AND THE OTHER OLD ONES R FUN WITH YOUR COMPLETELY HAMMERED

g$$
10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I understand exactly what you're saying. And I don't doubt Grady Cross told you so (good guy, met him twice myself years ago). But, bands have to find that mix in concert of new stuff & old favorites. People pay $$ to see a good show & be entertained. I was not the only one around me complaining last weekend. Pat Green has fallen victim to this now too IMO.

If you go to a George Strait show, you can be assured he will play most of the old stand-bys to please the masses. And he will mix in some new stuff too. Sure, he cannot play all of them because he has over 50 #1 hits, but he will hit a bunch of them, including his 1st single "Unwound". Ragweed does not have near that many hits & never will. Gotta find that mix. Maybe 40% new, 50% old, & 10% other cover stuff.

And I still say their shows do not have the same energy they used to have. And I have seen them in small clubs, Reliant Stadium, & outdoor shows alike. They almost seem bored at times & worn out. Life on the road will do that to you I guess. I don't plan on seeing CCR for quite a while. I will see others like Wade Bowen & RRB soon again.

carter08
10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
It also has something to do with promoting the songs on the new album coming out October 31st

g$$
10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
You are correct my friend. $$ talks, & promoting a new album is the ticket to future sales & new fans.

Still say you have to find the right mix. The big performers sure do & that is why they last. If you go see Elton John, George Strait, The Rolling Stones, or anyone else of that stature, you will hear the favorites.

Bull19
10-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are correct my friend. $$ talks, & promoting a new album is the ticket to future sales & new fans.

Still say you have to find the right mix. The big performers sure do & that is why they last. If you go see Elton John, George Strait, The Rolling Stones, or anyone else of that stature, you will hear the favorites.

YOU HAVE TO REMEBER THOUGH THAT THE NEW RECORD IS LIVE SO ITS ALL PREVIOUSLY RELEASED STUFF,( MIGHT BE ONE OR TWO NEW ONES THOUGH) , BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEBER THOUGH THAT STRAITS SONGS ARE GOOD ONE'S AND CARNEY IS REALLY NOT THAT GOOD OF A SONG , JUST KINDA CATCHY. I DONT BLAME THEM FOR NOT PLAYING CARNEY AND OTHERS SIMPLY CAUSE ITS NOT THAT GOOD OF A SONG AND ID BE BURNT OUT AS WELL PLAYING A MIDEOKER SONG FOR 7 YEARS

Bull19
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are correct my friend. $$ talks, & promoting a new album

THATS REMINDS ME OF A QUOTE FROM SPINAL TAP "MONEY TALKS AND BULL$HIT WALKS"

carter08
10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
YOU HAVE TO REMEBER THOUGH THAT THE NEW RECORD IS LIVE SO ITS ALL PREVIOUSLY RELEASED STUFF,( MIGHT BE ONE OR TWO NEW ONES THOUGH) , BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEBER THOUGH THAT STRAITS SONGS ARE GOOD ONE'S AND CARNEY IS REALLY NOT THAT GOOD OF A SONG , JUST KINDA CATCHY. I DONT BLAME THEM FOR NOT PLAYING CARNEY AND OTHERS SIMPLY CAUSE ITS NOT THAT GOOD OF A SONG AND ID BE BURNT OUT AS WELL PLAYING A MIDEOKER SONG FOR 7 YEARS

The songs on the new album are mostly all from Purple, Soul Gravy, and Garage though

Gobbla2001
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
THATS REMINDS ME OF A QUOTE FROM SPINAL TAP "MONEY TALKS AND BULL$HIT WALKS"

Micky and the Motorcars as well:

"Money talks and bullchit walks and everything I own you could put in a box"

Gobbla2001
10-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Wade Bowen wishes he could scrap his first music I believe... I think he said in an interview that he doesn't like it, back then it seemed great, but he really didn't pour all he wanted to in it and he doesn't want new fans hearing it...

I was like "Damn"...

"I use you, b@#$#, then to the curb you go"

g$$
10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Sometimes I think "the growth of an artist" makes them forget their roots. Their sound should get better with time, but that does not mean you scrap everything you ever did. Just do it better & build on it.

Again, finding the right mix is the key for any artist & his touring show IMO. You please old fans & acquire new ones too.

Maroon87
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Same here...I realized right around the time I got to the gate that I forgot to put ya'lls digits in my phone.:doh:

g$$
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Same here - sorry about that & maybe we can meet up another time. Take care.

Adidas410s
10-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Sometimes I think "the growth of an artist" makes them forget their roots. Their sound should get better with time, but that does not mean you scrap everything you ever did. Just do it better & build on it.

Again, finding the right mix is the key for any artist & his touring show IMO. You please old fans & acquire new ones too.

I don't think that forget is the right word. They aren't idiots and they know where they came from, where they started at. They, like anybody in any profession, want to feel like they are getting better at what they do. In their case though, the every part of the progression is in public and thus is subject to scrutiny. Every artist has a goal...whether it be to be the most successful ever, to be able to play a certain venue, or have somebody famous sing their songs. Just because a fan doesn't like the steps along the way that the artist takes doesn't mean that the artist is taking them in vein. There is a method to the madness...even though it doesn't always make sense to us, the fans.

g$$
10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Maybe "forget" is not the right word. But I think we are all saying the same thing & beating the same drum on this. I am all for setting goals & striving to reach them. But you cannot lose sight of where you started & what got you going in the beginning either. You are nothing if not for the fans who buy cds & go to shows. Period. Ragweed needs a jumpstart IMO.

The artists that make it & stay around the longest, in any genre of music, find the right mix. Name any artist that has stood the test of time, & I promise you if you go to their show you will hear the favorites w/ a blend of the new stuff. Not every song ever recorded - but the big ones, esp. at the larger shows. Acoustic shows are a whole different deal.

This "growth" should also coincide with playing the favorites better too. My opinion & I like a variety of music too.

Take Pat Green. His latest cd to me shows him getting back to what he does best. He wandered for a while & had some good songs. But this latest cd is his best overall in quite a while.